Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
I took my MBP to the Apple Store divine Mensa geniuses yesterday.

Last month, my keyboard started malfunctioning. The p key is spiritually bound to the 0 key such that when I press p I get p0 and when I press 0, I get p0 as well. Now, the cancer has spread to the F11 key and all three activate each other.

They quoted me $185 and 1-3 days turn around to replace the topcase (keyboard and other associated parts that are all connected). I'm not familiar with the MBP make up. Does this include the track pad?

Can I purchase these parts online and do the replacement myself? Should I just bite the bullet and let them do the job?

I'm considering buying a new Air in a month or two. Fixing the keyboard would boost my resale value I suppose. Right now I use an external bluetooth Mac keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Jam2 posted:

They quoted me $185 and 1-3 days turn around to replace the topcase (keyboard and other associated parts that are all connected). I'm not familiar with the MBP make up. Does this include the track pad?

This seems right if you do not have a warranty/applecare or you spilled something in it. The top case is the last piece of disassembling the computer (the first piece of assembly), everything has to be removed to change it. The part itself is around $150.

This will not include a replacement trackpad, that part is removable from the top case. The keyboard is not a separate part.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Shin-chan posted:

This seems right if you do not have a warranty/applecare or you spilled something in it. The top case is the last piece of disassembling the computer (the first piece of assembly), everything has to be removed to change it. The part itself is around $150.

This will not include a replacement trackpad, that part is removable from the top case. The keyboard is not a separate part.

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Rabid Snake posted:

Is the display difference really noticeable in quality or do you have to nickpick?

Well I found it noticeable when they were side-by-side, I wouldn't otherwise say the LG is by itself bad or anything not by any stretch, but part of the problem is once I've seen the difference I can't unsee it - so in that sense I'm nitpicking.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

mik posted:

Well I found it noticeable when they were side-by-side, I wouldn't otherwise say the LG is by itself bad or anything not by any stretch, but part of the problem is once I've seen the difference I can't unsee it - so in that sense I'm nitpicking.

Have you tried calibrating it? Because that makes a pretty big difference.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

hotsauce posted:

The Air's screen isn't matte, but it does have some sort of anti-glare coating that actually works well.

Think of it as in-between matte and glossy.

Ah yeah, it wasn't too bad in the store, I guess it's because of that coating then.

Now I just need to check some benchmarks on the 128GB SSD vs 256GB SSD (if it's like Sandforce drives where the number of flash die/channel can have a huge effect on IOPS) and I think I will pick one up.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

movax posted:

Ah yeah, it wasn't too bad in the store, I guess it's because of that coating then.

Now I just need to check some benchmarks on the 128GB SSD vs 256GB SSD (if it's like Sandforce drives where the number of flash die/channel can have a huge effect on IOPS) and I think I will pick one up.
Even if it is faster, will the difference be noticeable in your actual use? And worth $300 for that and the extra 128GB?

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
Stupid question, but if I get a new Mac Mini, can I use a cloned image of my current iMac's hard drive to boot Snow Leopard? I'm kind of worried about some Power PC apps I have that i don't want to upgrade yet (some old Power PC OS X games, old Final Cut of which I need to install to use the upgrade I have). Would running Snow Leopard as a VM be possible?

Edit: I would assume the graphics card would be the biggest issue, as it's the first time a 6630m has appeared in a Mac.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Any hard drive recommendations for a 2011 MBP? I need to be able to run a Win7 VM and it beach-balls like crazy while the VM is on (I guess due to swapping choking the 5400rpm drive). Would a Momentus XT make a noticeable difference? Or should I upgrade to 8 gigs of ram instead?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Momonari kun posted:

Stupid question, but if I get a new Mac Mini, can I use a cloned image of my current iMac's hard drive to boot Snow Leopard? I'm kind of worried about some Power PC apps I have that i don't want to upgrade yet (some old Power PC OS X games, old Final Cut of which I need to install to use the upgrade I have). Would running Snow Leopard as a VM be possible?

Edit: I would assume the graphics card would be the biggest issue, as it's the first time a 6630m has appeared in a Mac.
Keep track of this MacRumors thread I guess: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1193637
Looks like some people have gotten it working but the cursor turns into a frozen beachball or something. I guess you might basically be using it as a semi hackintosh, especially if you get the 6630m model (...there's also new Bluetooth to watch out for too).

You can run 10.6 in a VM, albeit the licensing only allows the Server version, so for client you'd need to do some simple hacking from what I've heard. No clue whether or not it'll have the performance you need. Does your old version of Final Cut not work in Lion for sure?

shodanjr_gr posted:

Any hard drive recommendations for a 2011 MBP? I need to be able to run a Win7 VM and it beach-balls like crazy while the VM is on (I guess due to swapping choking the 5400rpm drive). Would a Momentus XT make a noticeable difference? Or should I upgrade to 8 gigs of ram instead?
If you're swapping for sure upgrade the RAM first. How much do you have now and how much are you giving the VM? The Momentus XT won't help if you're swapping, but general performance should improve a bit just from being a 7200rpm drive.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Momonari kun posted:

It's highly unlikely the new Mac Mini can be downgraded to Snow Leopard. Various missing drivers might cause the mini to SL to run very poorly if it were possible.

SL Server can be legally virtualized on Apple hardware, but SL client can probably be hacked to be virtualized as well. The Hackentosh thread might have information on it.

It's best and easiest to hang on to your iMac and use Migration Assistant to migrate your data.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

shodanjr_gr posted:

If you can afford it, an SSD will make VMs scream.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

japtor posted:

Keep track of this MacRumors thread I guess: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1193637
Looks like some people have gotten it working but the cursor turns into a frozen beachball or something. I guess you might basically be using it as a semi hackintosh, especially if you get the 6630m model (...there's also new Bluetooth to watch out for too).

You can run 10.6 in a VM, albeit the licensing only allows the Server version, so for client you'd need to do some simple hacking from what I've heard. No clue whether or not it'll have the performance you need. Does your old version of Final Cut not work in Lion for sure?

If you're swapping for sure upgrade the RAM first. How much do you have now and how much are you giving the VM? The Momentus XT won't help if you're swapping, but general performance should improve a bit just from being a 7200rpm drive.

I'm at 4 gig worth of ram. Would bumping to 8 make a huge difference? I'm assigning 4 cores and 2 gigs of ram to the VM.

quote:

If you can afford it, an SSD will make VMs scream.

I'd need a huge 512GB SSD to satisfy my storage needs and I can't afford to sell my kidney yet :/.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

shodanjr_gr posted:

I'd need a huge 512GB SSD to satisfy my storage needs and I can't afford to sell my kidney yet :/.
You could buy a small SSD, place only the VM on it, and save your Windows documents outside the VM. Fusion and Parallels both offer that functionality. It's also a very good idea in case if your VM gets corrupted; your documents would be safe and could be backed up by Time Machine.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

wolffenstein posted:

You could buy a small SSD, place only the VM on it, and save your Windows documents outside the VM. Fusion and Parallels both offer that functionality. It's also a very good idea in case if your VM gets corrupted; your documents would be safe and could be backed up by Time Machine.

I'm actually virtualizing my bootcamp partition so it needs to be on the same drive as my main osx partition I guess. On top of that, I'd like to avoid removing the dvd drive and swapping it with an optibay if I can get acceptable performance from the system by either upgrading the main storage and/or ram.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.

japtor posted:

The old Final Cut is PowerPC, along with my old Final Draft. I have an intel upgrade for Final Cut, but it needs the old version installed. Final Draft is just ancient software, but it works perfectly. I'm currently deciding which direction to go for software (get Avid, Premeire, upgrade Final Draft or use open source software, etc.), but also need access to my old files in the future, just in case I go in a different direction. Money's tight too, so I can't keep around this iMac if I get a new mini. I think the only way my wife agrees is if it costs only $300 or so to upgrade, which my whole sell iMac before get mini scheme is all about.

royalejest
Oct 31, 2006

Clapton is God.
Is there anything wrong with loading up an iMac with mismatched RAM?

I just ordered a new 27" iMac that will be coming with 4GB in a 2x2GB configuration, are there any issues with throwing another 8GB (2x4GB) in there for 12GB, or should I bite the bullet and throw out the 2GB sticks and go all the way to 16GB?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

shodanjr_gr posted:

I'm at 4 gig worth of ram. Would bumping to 8 make a huge difference? I'm assigning 4 cores and 2 gigs of ram to the VM.

Yeah it'd probably help, again assuming you're swapping. And does the VM need 4 cores? If not I've heard using extra cores can be detrimental to performance, so try maybe 1-2 out (...although since it's running off the BC partition I wonder if it'd mess with the Windows activation). Otherwise the kidney money for SSD may be the way to go, ~$400 for 256GB if that's big enough. I'm sure your kidney is worth much more!

Momonari kun posted:

The old Final Cut is PowerPC, along with my old Final Draft. I have an intel upgrade for Final Cut, but it needs the old version installed. Final Draft is just ancient software, but it works perfectly. I'm currently deciding which direction to go for software (get Avid, Premeire, upgrade Final Draft or use open source software, etc.), but also need access to my old files in the future, just in case I go in a different direction. Money's tight too, so I can't keep around this iMac if I get a new mini. I think the only way my wife agrees is if it costs only $300 or so to upgrade, which my whole sell iMac before get mini scheme is all about.
Well that's a pickle. I'm guessing Final Draft may be acceptable in a VM, but I'd be worried about FCP, if it installs (sounds like the FCP 7 refuses). If you can transfer the install over (whether migration or manually) without needing to do the upgrade from PPC business there's a chance it'll work in Lion I guess...got any Apple Stores nearby? I wonder if they'd let you try that out.

Leempi
Apr 28, 2003

I was looking at grabbing a couple of minis for the home and the office, but $600 bucks for the 256 gig SSD gave me a bit of a pause.

Looking at price watch, it seems a 256 gig drive will be in the range of 450-500 bucks? The more expensive ones seems to go up to 550.

I was wondering which ones would be equivalent to what apple uses, and if it was worth it for me to get a stock mini with 8 gigs of ram, and put in an SSD myself with the 500 gig drive as an extra storage drive, or just go gently caress it and let apple do it (and cry a bit for how much it costs).

lemmiwinks
Apr 28, 2003
So I bought a new high end mini with the intention of hooking it up to an LG 47" HDTV, but noticed that the user experience in OS X is somewhat lacking. Moving the windows around seems jumpy/laggy, and sometimes even typing can hang for a while before catching up suddenly.

I've switched between 1080p, 1080i and 720p display settings, and while the 720p is much improved performance-wise, there's still a noticeable hit in comparison to the normal experience on my laptop. Is there any specific reason for this? I thought the resolution on a 720p wasn't so high as to be incomparable to a laptop and shouldn't be slowed down as a result.

Please advise, I might be taking this thing back today if I can't figure it out.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

royalejest posted:

Is there anything wrong with loading up an iMac with mismatched RAM?

I just ordered a new 27" iMac that will be coming with 4GB in a 2x2GB configuration, are there any issues with throwing another 8GB (2x4GB) in there for 12GB, or should I bite the bullet and throw out the 2GB sticks and go all the way to 16GB?

I've just done that myself and everything I've read suggests it shouldn't be an issue.

The only real advice I've seen is to place the same amount of RAM in each bank. So you'd have:

Left ------- Right
2GB ------- 2GB
4GB ------- 4GB

Something something about double channel bandwidth.

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003

Hardflip posted:

I've just done that myself and everything I've read suggests it shouldn't be an issue.

The only real advice I've seen is to place the same amount of RAM in each bank. So you'd have:

Left ------- Right
2GB ------- 2GB
4GB ------- 4GB

Something something about double channel bandwidth.

I actually have firsthand experience with this (actually this exact configuration). One of my 4GB sticks bit the dust and while waiting for its replacement, I ran 12GB just like this. It did just fine with no performance hit and no weirdness.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've been running 2x2x4gigs on my 27" and it's been fine. I guess since it's 3 sticks that it's not doing dual-channel anymore but I haven't noticed any performance loss.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Dual channel performance only matters to media / content apps that need every last bit of memory throughput and to spergy Mac owners who can't get up in the morning knowing their machine is running 3-6% slower that it is optimally capable of.

Rob Art finally got around to testing 2011 MBAs vs the 2011 MBA. Result: 2011's totally rock over 2010's, especially the quad-core (what a surprise.)

http://www.barefeats.com/mba11_02.html

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 24, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Leempi posted:

I was looking at grabbing a couple of minis for the home and the office, but $600 bucks for the 256 gig SSD gave me a bit of a pause.

Looking at price watch, it seems a 256 gig drive will be in the range of 450-500 bucks? The more expensive ones seems to go up to 550.

I was wondering which ones would be equivalent to what apple uses, and if it was worth it for me to get a stock mini with 8 gigs of ram, and put in an SSD myself with the 500 gig drive as an extra storage drive, or just go gently caress it and let apple do it (and cry a bit for how much it costs).
Apple has been known to use Toshiba or Samsung controllers, but I don't know if anyone has known the exact ones. That said the Samsung 470 has appeared to be reliable, and I think the Kingston's have Toshiba controllers...but those aren't as hot performance wise last I checked. They do go on crazy sales occasionally though so they can sometimes be a good cheaper option, as long as you get the latest, which I think is V100+? (I'm not entirely sure of their naming scheme other than having many variations involving V, 100, and +). Intel's drives are good, but I'd wait until they address the power cycling bug. If you want a larger size it'll cost you cause their 300GB drive is around $600, but if you can go down they have a 160GB around $300.

I think the main thing to wait on though is to see how much the extra HD part will be. I'm guessing it shouldn't be too much but you never know :ohdear:.

lemmiwinks posted:

So I bought a new high end mini with the intention of hooking it up to an LG 47" HDTV, but noticed that the user experience in OS X is somewhat lacking. Moving the windows around seems jumpy/laggy, and sometimes even typing can hang for a while before catching up suddenly.

I've switched between 1080p, 1080i and 720p display settings, and while the 720p is much improved performance-wise, there's still a noticeable hit in comparison to the normal experience on my laptop. Is there any specific reason for this? I thought the resolution on a 720p wasn't so high as to be incomparable to a laptop and shouldn't be slowed down as a result.

Please advise, I might be taking this thing back today if I can't figure it out.
All I can think (if it's not some hardware issue) is either some Lion bugginess and/or something was chewing up resources for some reason, like Spotlight indexing has the ability to eat up performance or Safari's webpage preview generator. Have you installed any software yet or just using it completely stock?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

With all this talk about MBA screens, I'm curious how one checks the screen's manufacturer since I can't seem to find it in the system profiler.

lemmiwinks
Apr 28, 2003

japtor posted:

All I can think (if it's not some hardware issue) is either some Lion bugginess and/or something was chewing up resources for some reason, like Spotlight indexing has the ability to eat up performance or Safari's webpage preview generator. Have you installed any software yet or just using it completely stock?

Maybe I'll give it a few more days to see if it's a spotlight indexing issue. Either way the monitor is native 1080p and the font is super tiny on a 47" at about 7 feet away, and when it's at 720p it performs better but there's some fuzziness which I assume is due to the non-native resolution.

What I'm wondering about, though, is why the resolution should hit performance on the mini if it's just a hard drive/indexing issue. There's 4gb of ram and a dedicated graphics card, I just don't know why these resolutions should cause a slow down. The refresh rate is also set at 60hz.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Jeratain posted:

Good news everyone (just me actually)! I went to the Apple Store today and they confirmed two things for me:
1. My iMac won't have a bad drive because it was manufactured in late July
2. If I bring the whole box in I can swap out the magic mouse for the trackpad

Good news for you, sir! :unsmith:

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

lemmiwinks posted:

Maybe I'll give it a few more days to see if it's a spotlight indexing issue. Either way the monitor is native 1080p and the font is super tiny on a 47" at about 7 feet away, and when it's at 720p it performs better but there's some fuzziness which I assume is due to the non-native resolution.

What I'm wondering about, though, is why the resolution should hit performance on the mini if it's just a hard drive/indexing issue. There's 4gb of ram and a dedicated graphics card, I just don't know why these resolutions should cause a slow down. The refresh rate is also set at 60hz.

My new Air attached to a 42" TV playing Netflix showed significant slowdown which is weird because my Atom powered netbook can power the TV without any noticeable issues. Maybe an issue with Lion? However, I would think word would be out already if there was that big of a problem.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

jfreder posted:

My new Air attached to a 42" TV playing Netflix showed significant slowdown which is weird because my Atom powered netbook can power the TV without any noticeable issues. Maybe an issue with Lion? However, I would think word would be out already if there was that big of a problem.

Do you have it plugged into power?

Ganon
May 24, 2003

El Jackalope posted:

With all this talk about MBA screens, I'm curious how one checks the screen's manufacturer since I can't seem to find it in the system profiler.

quote:

To identify your display
open terminal, paste
ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

the first line is your display model

example: 13" ultimate - LTH133BT01A01

LT = Samsung
LP = LG

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Debating a new Mac mini vs a refurb for use as a HTPC and general screw around machine. I already have a nice desktop PC, laptop, and iPad here, so it doesn't need to do all that much.

Only debate is the ~469 for a refurb, or 579 for a new one, with educational discount. The specs obviously look much nicer, but do I really gain anything for use as a HTPC/HD streaming box? Won't be doing anything more strenuous than music, browsing, Slingbox. Leaning towards just grabbing the refurb when it comes back in stock.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I am cheap. With that out of the way, how long does it usually take for refurbished hardware to start showing up in the Apple Store that doesn't require someone to F5 the page all day? I'd like a new Mac Mini but I'm not crazy about the prices.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Do you have it plugged into power?

Yeah.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):

Cozmosis posted:

Debating a new Mac mini vs a refurb for use as a HTPC and general screw around machine. I already have a nice desktop PC, laptop, and iPad here, so it doesn't need to do all that much.

Only debate is the ~469 for a refurb, or 579 for a new one, with educational discount. The specs obviously look much nicer, but do I really gain anything for use as a HTPC/HD streaming box? Won't be doing anything more strenuous than music, browsing, Slingbox. Leaning towards just grabbing the refurb when it comes back in stock.

The old one is powerful enough for HTPC duty and still has a dvd drive if that makes a difference to you.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Has this been discussed yet:
http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=STORHDOPTIBAY

I don't think I ever use DVDs anymore and its comes complete with a USB enclosure for $99.
I already have a firewire DVD drive anyway, and having room for a second hard drive is tempting. I could do two 1TB drives or 1TB and SSD for OS.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Those of you with MBAs, what are you doing for storage? I'm getting the 128gb model, and although that's going to be plenty, I'm wondering if this might not be the time to figure out a better way to store my media/files. I have my personal documents on dropbox, but I'm kind of playing loose with my mp3s. I only have about 15 gigs or so, but I don't have a backup at the moment. Thinking about getting an external USB drive, but those are such a pain with laptops.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

JHVH-1 posted:

Has this been discussed yet:
http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=STORHDOPTIBAY

I don't think I ever use DVDs anymore and its comes complete with a USB enclosure for $99.
I already have a firewire DVD drive anyway, and having room for a second hard drive is tempting. I could do two 1TB drives or 1TB and SSD for OS.

Many, many times before (although in the old thread).

There's quite a few people here who run that setup. From what I remember it's best to run the secondary drive in the Optibay because there are sleep issues.

If you don't need the enclosure, you can find generic versions on eBay for 70% less.

Ganon
May 24, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Those of you with MBAs, what are you doing for storage? I'm getting the 128gb model, and although that's going to be plenty, I'm wondering if this might not be the time to figure out a better way to store my media/files. I have my personal documents on dropbox, but I'm kind of playing loose with my mp3s. I only have about 15 gigs or so, but I don't have a backup at the moment. Thinking about getting an external USB drive, but those are such a pain with laptops.

The Amazon Cloud gives you 20GB for $20/yr. Or SpiderOak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Residency Evil posted:

I had the same problem… only my iTunes library was 60GB large. I ended and getting myself a subscription to Rdio.