Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lion isn't associated with anything, you can use the installer to do as many installs as you want. It doesn't use any CD keys or anything like that. If you're selling the computer I'd just install Lion but give them the original SL discs of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Clean install feels snappier on my 2010 MBA 13" by far.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Daveh posted:

This should do the trick:

For what it's worth, you can hit space after hitting cmd-shift-4 to toggle between "drag a rectangle" mode and "select a window" mode for screenshots.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I put Lion on my 13" Macbook Pro right before I bought my new Mini to replace it. I'm not sure why I did that, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyways, if I do a clean install of Lion on my MBP, is it associated with my Apple ID at all? How should I prepare this thing to sell to someone? Just do a clean install of Snow Leopard and let them deal with it?

Lion is not serialized, so it just depends on how much effort you want to put into it.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I have a Macbook from 2008 and am considering putting Lion on it. Is there any reason I shouldn't? Someone posted earlier that their laptop seems to run hotter with Lion, and I don't want it to overheat, but I think fullscreen would be really good for web browsing since the screen is so small on this.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Asnorban posted:

I have a Macbook from 2008 and am considering putting Lion on it. Is there any reason I shouldn't? Someone posted earlier that their laptop seems to run hotter with Lion, and I don't want it to overheat, but I think fullscreen would be really good for web browsing since the screen is so small on this.

I've also got a Macbook 4,1 and I really like Lion on it so far. You won't be able to do the fancy new gestures with your trackpad, but it sure seems peppier to me. Doesn't seem to get any hotter, and it doesn't run the fan anymore than it did with SL. I think the battery life is a little reduced, but I grant that could also be my imagination.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

japtor posted:

Did you boot from the InstallESD or did you use the Lion installer? Was there any system on the external drive?
I tried booting from a DVD, but Disk Utility kept hanging when I launched it to format the drive, so I booted back into SL, mounted the .dmg directly, and installed to the external from there. There was no prior OS install on the drive.

My iDisk-based backups are hosed, but I haven't gotten around to trying Time Machine. The files appear to still exist, but attempts to restore through Backup results in an empty folder, and mounting the .dmgs and copying the files directly shows the file copy dialog, but the files never actually show up in the destination folder. There was some relevant Console spam, but I haven't looked into it yet.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Any way to make dropbox have a stylized folder icon on the finder sidebar like before? Is this just something that Dropbox is going to have to implement in an update?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Stupid question, but is there a list of what all the keyboard shortcut codes mean anywhere?

Especially ^, the white up arrow, and one that I can't even figure out how to describe.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Xandu posted:

Stupid question, but is there a list of what all the keyboard shortcut codes mean anywhere?

Especially ^, the white up arrow, and one that I can't even figure out how to describe.

Here you go: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1343

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Thanks!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

sudo stopped working on my MacBook Pro (5,5, 10.7), and I don't know how to fix it. I've booted from the OS X Lion install disc, mounted my HDD, chrooted into the mount, and used visudo to check out the sudoers file. Everything looks OK in it, and all the permissions are OK, as far as I know (root:wheel, 0440). My account is in the admin group, which is in the sudoers file, but I added my account into the file anyway, just in case. Still nothing. I also tried copying the sudoers file from my other computer (also running 10.7), which is working, but still nothing.

I'm not really sure what to do other than reinstall, but that is kind of a pain in the rear end, especially since I just finished getting everything how I like it. Anyone know anything else to try?

This is what I'm getting (timestamp even reflects from when I booted from disc and edited the file):

$ sudo bash
sudo: can't open /private/etc/sudoers: Permission denied
sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting

$ ls -l /private/etc/sudoers
-r--r----- 1 root wheel 1303 Jul 24 12:53 /private/etc/sudoers

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
So what's everyone's new preferred gesture (magic mouse) for "Next Track"? I had it set to two-finger swipe right and got pretty used to that with SL, but with the same gesture being used for desktop paging in Lion, I'm toying around with Better Touch Tool and haven't been able to come up with anything. Is there a way to request new gestures or add your own or something? I used two-finger swipe up for Expose before, so I've remapped Mission Control to that because I'm used to it, but it would be nice to remap the current Mission Control gesture (two finger tap) to next track, but it seems BTT doesn't have that available as a gesture currently.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Toe Rag posted:

sudo stopped working on my MacBook Pro (5,5, 10.7), and I don't know how to fix it. I've booted from the OS X Lion install disc, mounted my HDD, chrooted into the mount, and used visudo to check out the sudoers file. Everything looks OK in it, and all the permissions are OK, as far as I know (root:wheel, 0440). My account is in the admin group, which is in the sudoers file, but I added my account into the file anyway, just in case. Still nothing. I also tried copying the sudoers file from my other computer (also running 10.7), which is working, but still nothing.

I'm not really sure what to do other than reinstall, but that is kind of a pain in the rear end, especially since I just finished getting everything how I like it. Anyone know anything else to try?

This is what I'm getting (timestamp even reflects from when I booted from disc and edited the file):

$ sudo bash
sudo: can't open /private/etc/sudoers: Permission denied
sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting

$ ls -l /private/etc/sudoers
-r--r----- 1 root wheel 1303 Jul 24 12:53 /private/etc/sudoers

Does anything at this link help?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1408307

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Xandu posted:

It's a fun program, I wish there was an iphone app for it though, at least to do the scanning. I don't have the patience to hold thousands of books up to my computer.

I used to use a Cue::Cat to scan the barcodes on CDs and DVDs, and frankly it's faster to type the UPC codes by hand on a numeric pad.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Between Parallels and VMware Fusion, what's the preferred virtualization software? I'm (probably) not looking for gaming or anything super intensive, most likely just Solidworks stuff at most (I'm running a 2011 MBP, the high end 15" model).

Also- do either of them have compatibility issues with Lion? I'm on Snow Leopard right now but I'm looking to upgrade soon.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
VMWare.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Parallels currently has some issues, yeah.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

computer parts posted:

Between Parallels and VMware Fusion, what's the preferred virtualization software? I'm (probably) not looking for gaming or anything super intensive, most likely just Solidworks stuff at most (I'm running a 2011 MBP, the high end 15" model).

Also- do either of them have compatibility issues with Lion? I'm on Snow Leopard right now but I'm looking to upgrade soon.

I'm running a 2010 MBP and Solidworks in VMWare runs great (i7 with 8GB of ram)

edit: I'm still running Snow Leopard but I plan on upgrading this summer.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

modig posted:

I installed Reeder on my MBA and my iPhone, and it seems pretty sweet. I didn't even know about Readability, but Reeder uses it and it is nice. My only complaint so far is on the Mac version. I have it set up full screen, with two columns on the left not taking up much space. The text is on the right, and it doesn't use up it's space well. The text remains narrow, and there is a bunch of empty space on the right and left of the text. Does anybody know how to change that, to make it use more of that space?

I don't use Reeder and I don't know how it works with Readability, so I can't say for sure. But I believe Readability lets you decide how big you want your columns to be. If that's tapping into your Readability account, you might want to play with the Readability settings.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

RIP Rivet. :smith:

At first I thought you meant it didn't work with Lion, but then I saw the blog post you're likely referring to. Shame.

gregday
May 23, 2003

From John SIracusa's twitter feed:

code:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAutomaticWindowAnimationsEnabled -bool NO

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
Ever since I installed Lion, my cursor will "stick" to windows, so like if I have VLC open and then I want to click on an open Firefox window, instead of bringing Firefox to the front, it moves the VLC window to where I clicked. I looked under my trackpad preferences (have a 2007 macbook) and it didn't seem like there was some sort of "click lock" setting.

Am I missing something?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

gregday posted:

From John SIracusa's twitter feed:

code:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAutomaticWindowAnimationsEnabled -bool NO

Thanks.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

x-virge posted:

At first I thought you meant it didn't work with Lion, but then I saw the blog post you're likely referring to. Shame.

Is it working in Lion for you? It seems like it's streaming properly as far as I can tell, but my system definitely seems faster and less quirky when it's not running.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Gold and a Pager posted:

I looked under my trackpad preferences (have a 2007 macbook) and it didn't seem like there was some sort of "click lock" setting.

Am I missing something?

System Preferences -> Universal Access -> Trackpad Options... has the options for Drag Lock now.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

CaptainCaveman posted:

System Preferences -> Universal Access -> Trackpad Options... has the options for Drag Lock now.

Yeah this is the one thing I just can't get used to. Dragging without drag lock seems hopelessly impossible for me. I could get used to three finger drag, but that interferes with "normal" gestures. I can't get any kind of accuracy out of the "click with one finger and drag with another" approach.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Has anyone been able to clone the Recovery HD partition in disk utility? Every time I try to kick off the restore disk utility dismounts it. Using CCC resulted in an unbootable SD card.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Xandu posted:

It's a fun program, I wish there was an iphone app for it though, at least to do the scanning. I don't have the patience to hold thousands of books up to my computer.

Yeah, and that's why I never bothered with it until this one project came up. I could never see myself cataloging everything. Plus I have a kid who thinks it's fun, and has been appointed "project intern."

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Daveh posted:

This should do the trick:

oh son of a... that did it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Chemmy posted:

Does anything at this link help?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1408307

Unfortunately no :sigh: I was able to get to the point where I could edit the file without having to boot from the disc, but nothing I tried would work. I just ended up reinstalling and everything works now. I didn't have to wipe the drive either, so all my settings were saved :unsmith:

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.
Does anyone mirror an itunes install between two computers? I'm going to have an imac and macbook air, and can't decide which I want to keep all my media/ sync iphone/ipad to. The imac is the easy answer, but I have 256 gb on the mba, so why not have a full 40 gb itunes library there for portable listening?

I'm sure I'm not the first with this problem, what do you do? Empty itunes on the portable and just use iphone/ipad for music on the go? Or is there an app that will keep the two itunes folders in perfect sync? Without breaking iphone sync.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

El Jackalope posted:

Is there a way to actually type emoji in OS X other than just dragging them from the special characters window into a text field? ❔
Someone earlier used text substitutions as a workaround. He/she mapped "(poop)" to "".

ndrake posted:

Does anyone mirror an itunes install between two computers? I'm going to have an imac and macbook air, and can't decide which I want to keep all my media/ sync iphone/ipad to. The imac is the easy answer, but I have 256 gb on the mba, so why not have a full 40 gb itunes library there for portable listening?

I'm sure I'm not the first with this problem, what do you do? Empty itunes on the portable and just use iphone/ipad for music on the go? Or is there an app that will keep the two itunes folders in perfect sync? Without breaking iphone sync.
iTunes Home Sharing might work, but I don't know if it has some full auto sync thing or if you have to transfer stuff manually.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.

japtor posted:

iTunes Home Sharing might work, but I don't know if it has some full auto sync thing or if you have to transfer stuff manually.
That's my fallback plan, but as I understand it, it just streams to other devices on the network. Maybe I don't really need a full itunes library on the go.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

http://supersync.com/

I've never used it, but it seems do you what you want.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

ndrake posted:

That's my fallback plan, but as I understand it, it just streams to other devices on the network. Maybe I don't really need a full itunes library on the go.
No, it syncs your library between up to five machines (each needs to be logged into the same iTunes account).

e: Apparently only iTunes Store music automatically syncs, but you can still drag-and-drop other stuff.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 25, 2011

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Anyone else have issues with external displays not working on MBP after upgrading to Lion?

I have a 13" MBP (mid-2010) and if I connect an external display, the whole system slowly locks up over the period of about 5 seconds.

I can keep dragging windows around for a bit, but eventually it stops responding altogether and I have to reboot.

Tried a different MiniDP-DVI adapter but had the same problem. Blew into the DP port in case there was crud in there, and wiggled the cable around.

The monitor is a cheap samsung (bx2440) which I've been using without issue for about 4 months.

There is an old cinema display somewhere I'll try at lunchtime, but trying to work on this tiny 13" screen is quite annoying.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Gold and a Pager posted:

Ever since I installed Lion, my cursor will "stick" to windows, so like if I have VLC open and then I want to click on an open Firefox window, instead of bringing Firefox to the front, it moves the VLC window to where I clicked. I looked under my trackpad preferences (have a 2007 macbook) and it didn't seem like there was some sort of "click lock" setting.

Am I missing something?

Are you using BetterTouchTool? I think this is a known issue with BTT and a few applications, including VLC. It happens to me with VLC, too. There's a checkbox in the BTT preferences that's supposed to fix it, but that was making it buggier, so I turned it off.

do it
Jan 3, 2006

don't tell me words don't matter!
edit: never mind

do it fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
is there a TVersity equivalent for Mac? I'd like to stream my videos to my 360, but I can't seem to find a player that will transcode stuff; all my Google searches are getting me is Connect360 or people asking for a TVersity Mac version.