Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I'm supposed to be 10 weeks today going by my last missed period. I had my ultrasound today and they measured the uterus and it's only the size of a 6 week pregnancy. They didn't really have any answers and I have to wait over the weekend to hear from the OB. I guess they're going to do some bloodwork or something to measure how far along I am chemically? I'm not sure.

Is it likely that this pregnancy could have been 4 weeks off, or more likely that it stopped growing? Would my body notice it dying? I'm confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Awesome Kristin posted:

I'm supposed to be 10 weeks today going by my last missed period. I had my ultrasound today and they measured the uterus and it's only the size of a 6 week pregnancy. They didn't really have any answers and I have to wait over the weekend to hear from the OB. I guess they're going to do some bloodwork or something to measure how far along I am chemically? I'm not sure.

Is it likely that this pregnancy could have been 4 weeks off, or more likely that it stopped growing? Would my body notice it dying? I'm confused.

I wish I had an answer for you, but I wanted to say that I'm sorry you're having to wait the entire weekend to find out WTF is going on. I imagine that they're going to measure your HCG levels on Monday, and possibly a second time to see what direction it's moving.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Adios, suckers! We're off to the parenting thread!

Thanks for all the advice. Good luck to everyone. Here's a picture:

tishthedish
Jan 21, 2007

I'm standing at her shores
Anyone pregnant/deliver with vaginismus? I meet with my ob/gyn on Thursday for a pre-conception appointment, and I definitely plan to ask her about it. She's been my gyn for three years and I've tried several different treatments for the vaginismus, but it hasn't changed at all. Mainly I'm hoping that I can have a normal vaginal delivery without destroying my girly parts, and I also want to see what the chances are that childbirth will cure my problem. My gyn did say that it could happen, but I don't know what the real statistics are like.

If it makes a difference, I used to have great, pleasurable sex. It was nly after a yeast infection that things went south with my vagina and penises. :(

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.
I am almost halfway through my first pregnancy and in the past few days have been waking up with my right ear feeling clogged. I am pretty sure it isn't wax because the feeling goes away by the middle of the day. My OB said their office doesn't have the equipment to look into my ear and that I should just take Sudafed -- but I am not fully confident with her practice (I am actively meeting with potential new practices). Could this just be part of the pregnancy inflammation (ex: rhinitis) that I've read about? I am a little worried because it hasn't gone away yet today. Think the Sudafed will actually help?

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

I am almost halfway through my first pregnancy and in the past few days have been waking up with my right ear feeling clogged.
I had this when I got sick mid-pregnancy. It didn't go away for a couple of weeks and Sudafed didn't help, although I didn't take much of it. It was really annoying, but eventually went away. I had some serious congestion with that cold though and couldn't even taste anything for several days.

Now at 37 weeks when I sleep on my right side, it will clog up and usually go away a few minutes after I get up or roll over. Maybe there's still some fluid in there.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

I am almost halfway through my first pregnancy and in the past few days have been waking up with my right ear feeling clogged. I am pretty sure it isn't wax because the feeling goes away by the middle of the day. My OB said their office doesn't have the equipment to look into my ear and that I should just take Sudafed -- but I am not fully confident with her practice (I am actively meeting with potential new practices). Could this just be part of the pregnancy inflammation (ex: rhinitis) that I've read about? I am a little worried because it hasn't gone away yet today. Think the Sudafed will actually help?

They don't have the equipment to just take a look into your ear :confused: Can't they just use that funnel thing with a light on it? Anyway, to rule out wax you could try putting a few drops of some kind of oil in your ear overnight, as it should loosen wax buildup.

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006

Awesome Kristin posted:

At 8 weeks my embrio was the size of a 6 week (and my OB told me nothing on the spot not to have me worry, she even gave me pictures of the ultrasound... she just told me later that she was a little bit worried), and now I have a baby who would eat your soul if it came pureed on a spoon. He's been pretty average (sizewise) since week 13 LMP.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Panne posted:

They don't have the equipment to just take a look into your ear :confused: Can't they just use that funnel thing with a light on it? Anyway, to rule out wax you could try putting a few drops of some kind of oil in your ear overnight, as it should loosen wax buildup.

Yea, I think that's bizarre, too.

Do you have a general practitioner or a family doctor you could go to to have a look?

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Thanks to Fire in the Disco and MoCookies for their advice on after-birth care and visitors. I've been thinking a lot about it and I'm saying no. I understand they're excited to see the baby, but I just don't think we'll be settled into a routine by three weeks. They can come down a few weeks later when I've (hopefully) figured out how to balance the baby with life and school.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Thanks panne, Bamzilla, and opie!

I agree it is bizarre that an office wouldn't have an otolaryngoscope -- I think that the OB just wanted to get rid of me because she has a poor bedside manner. It's just one of the reasons I am looking for a new practice.

Unfortunately I only just moved here a few months ago and don't have a primary doctor right now. I just assumed that my OB would act as my primary for the duration of the pregnancy, but I'll start looking for a primary doctor. Live and learn I guess.

Thanks goons! A first time pregnancy in a city without much local family/friend support is sometimes a scary thing.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
My OB was my primary for the duration of my pregnancy. The only time I went to my GP was for a flu shot since my OB's office was out of them. Is a different OB an option or do you like this one otherwise/need to see this one?

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
My OB called and had me go give some blood so they can test the HCG levels. They did some tests 2 weeks ago so they should be able to tell if it's increasing or decreasing. Tomorrow morning we will have an answer. Miscarriage or early pregnancy.

I just didn't want to leave you guys hanging.

Awesome Kristin fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 26, 2011

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Fire In The Disco posted:

My OB was my primary for the duration of my pregnancy. The only time I went to my GP was for a flu shot since my OB's office was out of them. Is a different OB an option or do you like this one otherwise/need to see this one?

I am not particularly happy with the practice and am in the midst of looking for a new one. I have a good lead on a midwife practice, and I am excited to meet them.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Awesome Kristin posted:

My OB called and had me go give some blood so they can test the HCG levels. They did some tests 2 weeks ago so they should be able to tell if it's increasing or decreasing. Tomorrow morning we will have an answer. Miscarriage or early pregnancy.

I just didn't want to leave you guys hanging.

I'm hoping for the best for you.

If it makes you feel better, I was absolutely certain that I was like 2 months along when I got my first positive, but it was a really faint positive and they couldn't see anything on the ultrasound. Turns out I was like 3 weeks pregnant and had a tilted uterus to boot. Stupid body.

Don't give up hope :unsmith:

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I went to the OB this morning. Aside from the horribly uncomfortable pap smear we got the results from my bloodwork. My HCG levels have dropped significantly. It's been a little over 3 weeks since it stopped growing, so if I don't pass it naturally by next week I have an appointment to discuss other methods.

I don't want to be a downer on the thread. I'm not really emotional and I don't feel like I've lost anything since I didn't have an attachment to it yet. I'm just upset about losing out on time. We're eager to have a baby. Oh well, odds are the next one will stick. :)

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Awesome Kristin posted:

I went to the OB this morning. Aside from the horribly uncomfortable pap smear we got the results from my bloodwork. My HCG levels have dropped significantly. It's been a little over 3 weeks since it stopped growing, so if I don't pass it naturally by next week I have an appointment to discuss other methods.

I don't want to be a downer on the thread. I'm not really emotional and I don't feel like I've lost anything since I didn't have an attachment to it yet. I'm just upset about losing out on time. We're eager to have a baby. Oh well, odds are the next one will stick. :)

I'm so sorry you have to go through that; miscarriages are not fun!

But, you've got the right attitude. Take some time if you need to, but keep looking forward. My husband and I followed our doctor's advice, and I just a few days ago found out that I'm pregnant again two months following my miscarriage.

The only sad thing now is that I've got this persistent nausea that I didn't have last time...I guess that's morning sickness??

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Thanks. I had 24/7 nausea for a few weeks and it was awful. I only threw up 3 times though. I'm hoping it won't happen the second time through.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Has anyone done an elective 3D ultrasound? My wife really wants to do one but I'm of the mindset that any extra procedures should be avoided, no matter how low risk it might be. Our doctor agrees with me but my wife really wants to see her now. My reminders that she'll have the rest of her life to see her are about all I've got right now.

The cost is not really an issue for us. It's mostly just as I stated: it's an extra ultrasound that isn't for diagnostic reasons, just for "fun."

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Number19 posted:

Has anyone done an elective 3D ultrasound? My wife really wants to do one but I'm of the mindset that any extra procedures should be avoided, no matter how low risk it might be. Our doctor agrees with me but my wife really wants to see her now. My reminders that she'll have the rest of her life to see her are about all I've got right now.

The cost is not really an issue for us. It's mostly just as I stated: it's an extra ultrasound that isn't for diagnostic reasons, just for "fun."

My sister had this done and I know several co-workers who did this. I hate all those pictures. They are horrifying to me. It looks like the baby is melting, not natural or anything. I refuse to do this with my baby.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Number19 posted:

I think every baby looks exactly the same in those terrifying images. You could just find a few on the web and show them to her.

But if it doesn't hurt her or the baby, and you can afford it, why not indulge her? She's going through a lot right now (being pregnant and all) so if seeing a distorted image of your baby would make her happy, go with it.

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!
We got a 3D image of ours. My wife looks at it all googly-eyed, but I keep expecting it to shriek "QUAAAAIIIIID!"

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.
I wouldn't get it done just for fun because the images creep me out (and I'd be too afraid of discovering that my baby is an uggo). However, there are instances where they can be useful.

I've been reading the NPR baby project blog and this entry shows how one was used as a diagnostic tool based on something that happened in her previous pregnancy.

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet
I had a 3D ultrasound and I even framed one of the pictures. Personally, I don't think they look creepy so for me that was never a factor. I really wanted them done so that I could have a picture that looked more tangible than the 2D black and white. With my pregnancy brain it made me feel like the baby was actually a baby and not just a blob. Anyway, at the time I really enjoyed it and was glad I had them done.

Eglamore
Apr 19, 2005

Walker told me I have AIDS.
After we got our *normal* ultrasound, I put this picture of some random baby on my Facebook wall. Nobody seemed to notice and just gave the generic "AWWW BABY" responses.

4d is a bit weird is what I'm saying here.

edit: yeah it's 3d, and one of the more annoying things about it is the companies who keep calling it "4D". That's not a THING.

Eglamore fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 27, 2011

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Eglamore posted:

After we got our *normal* ultrasound, I put this picture of some random baby on my Facebook wall. Nobody seemed to notice and just gave the generic "AWWW BABY" responses.

4d is a bit weird is what I'm saying here.

You mean 3D.

Also, that is pretty funny. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's creeped out by those images. For those who like it, more power to ya, but I will never not see a melting baby.

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

A clock isn't time; it's just numbers and springs. Pay it no mind.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

You mean 3D.

Actually, there is such a thing as a 4D ultrasound:

"4D fetal ultrasounds are similar to 3D scans, with the difference associated with time: 4D allows a 3-dimensional picture in real time, rather than delayed, due to the lag associated with the computer constructed image, as in classic 3-dimensional ultrasound."

But I think the pictures look pretty much the same.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Thanks everyone. If she really wants to do it I'm not going to dissuade her. I was just seeing if anyone had a real "no don't!" type of reason aside from the pictures not being very good.

e: this would be a 4D one with a video of it given to us on a DVD and such.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
We had one. I actually loved seeing my daughter's face in 3D, and when she was born, I had fun comparing the faces she made to the ones I had photos of from the scan.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Personally, if you're not scheduled for an ultrasound it's just a waste of time. You have to wait a while to get an ultrasound so sitting around is boring and in the end you'll likely end up with a photo like this:

which was the best one of the bunch :mad: That was around 23 weeks though so maybe if your SO is further along the baby won't have as much room to wiggle around and cover their face.

I had one done cause I was scheduled for an ultrasound anyway for other issues not related to the pregnancy.

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006

vanessa posted:

I've been reading the NPR baby project blog and this entry shows how one was used as a diagnostic tool based on something that happened in her previous pregnancy.

My baby had this (cleft lip) checked with a standard 2D ultrasound (among other stuff, and it is standard procedure here). However, the OB went a bit 3D to look for spinal cord defects. I guess we could have asked for a 3D of the face, but I am one of those who get creeped out by the 3D pictures.

BizzaroprOn
Jan 19, 2005

2 in the chest followed by one in the head
I have a quick question...my wife and I have been trying for almost a year now and yesterday she took a pregnancy test (clear blue?) and we have a faint positive. She is around 6 days late on her period. She is spotting a little bit...is this to be concerned about? She called me today and has been fairly active at her job (moving around) and so far its just a tiny little brownish-pink spot on her pad she is wearing.

My question -- even though the pregnancy test showed a fainy positive (you could see the entire plus, but it was faint for the second line) - is the slight bleeding to be expected?

So far, my wife has had the following symptons:

1.) tender boobs
2.) very nauseous in the morning the past few days
3.) her hips bother her

She did have a confirmed mis-carriage 2 years ago.

Any advice/insight would be appreciated. I am very nervous.

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011

BizzaroprOn posted:

My question -- even though the pregnancy test showed a fainy positive (you could see the entire plus, but it was faint for the second line) - is the slight bleeding to be expected?

I understand the nervous, but bleeding at the level of faint brown spots is completely normal. And my own pregnancy test was super-faint; it turned out my cycle wasn't what I'd thought, so even though my period was late when I took the test, I was only about 2 weeks into my pregnancy when I took it.

Have you guys called an OB yet, or are you waiting to take another test?

BizzaroprOn
Jan 19, 2005

2 in the chest followed by one in the head

Idonie posted:

I understand the nervous, but bleeding at the level of faint brown spots is completely normal. And my own pregnancy test was super-faint; it turned out my cycle wasn't what I'd thought, so even though my period was late when I took the test, I was only about 2 weeks into my pregnancy when I took it.

Have you guys called an OB yet, or are you waiting to take another test?

She is going to take the other clear blue this Friday...if we get another positive, we are going to make an appt ASAP to the doctor.

Actually, we are going to make an appointment regardless of the fact if its another positive or negative to see what is going on.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Some women get implantation bleeding so it's not super uncommon for spotting to occur. False positive are pretty rare.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

bamzilla posted:

:mad: That was around 23 weeks though so maybe if your SO is further along the baby won't have as much room to wiggle around and cover their face.

A 3D at 23 weeks really isn't a good example of what you can get - 28-32 weeks is generally the recommended time frame to get the best pictures. Sometimes they will still end up looking like that, or baby will hide behind his placenta (my baby's favorite position), but often you can get some good face shots.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Target has their nursing tanks on sale online for $10 plus free shipping. I have 2 of them and they're awesome.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/?asin=B004OX1IX2&ref=sc_sk_txt_1_1

Skyworks
Oct 2, 2010

by angerbutt
Just a quick one to confirm that what our parents are saying is wrong. We have a thoroughly brilliant little girl. My wife has recently given birth to our second daughter. We are both taking time off to share the burden of a newborn, she is running days and I am running nights, this is definitely a contributing factor as being sleep deprived is screwing with me.

Since Daria came home, Elizabeth, our first, has all of a sudden become drat loud. For example; Earlier tonight while I was nursing Daria I asked Sissi to go and get her mother. She said OK, turned around and screamed at the top of her voice "Mama, Dad wants you!" then ran off. Obviously, the fact that there is another bub in the house is an adjustment for all of us. Despite the advice of our parents, I am loathe to discipline Sissi for what I feel to be a natural reaction to the situation.

Intentionally ignoring advice from the grandparents: I feel that this is only going to be a very short phase before everything stabilises. I suppose this post is less looking for advice, and more getting out what I am thinking. In any case, if any of you can give me an idea of what to expect without the 65 year old grandparent 'time to spank' thing, I would appreciate it.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Hi, guys! Incoming wall of text, sorry: skip it if you don't want to read about tricky labor and deliveries.

My husband and I are thinking about whether we want to try for a second child. With our first child the labor didn't go very well; everything turned out okay but when she was born our daughter wasn't breathing and things were pretty dicey for the first 24-48 hours. We'll be seeing a new OB/GYN because the doctor who delivered our daughter just does GYN stuff now (which is a bummer--I like her and I like the people at her office) and I'm thinking I want to do a pre-pregnancy visit. Basically I'm trying to figure out some questions to ask, and get a clearer idea in my head of what went on last time, and I was hoping you guys could help.

Here's the run-down: Pregnancy was totally uneventful and fine. Just at 37 weeks, my water broke (at 3:30 AM, naturally). We checked into the hospital at 4 AM. The baby hadn't really dropped--she was head-down but still quite high; I was barely dilated at all and I don't think much effacement had happened; I was having some contractions but they weren't regular. After some hours they told me they wanted to induce. I was fine with that, kind of expecting it because my birthing class stressed that doctors currently don't like the baby to stick around in you for more than 24 hours after the water breaks. At various intervals the nurses asked if I wanted pain medication; around noon or so I said that yeah, I did (backrubs and birthing ball were helpful, but back labor was really not fun and my chipper mood was starting to wear the hell off). Around four or so in the afternoon they asked again if I wanted an epidural, and I agreed (against my better judgment? I don't even know, I was pretty wiped out by then and in a lot of pain, and it was clearly going to be a long haul). By seven or so in the evening (15-16 hours after my water broke) my doctor told me they were concerned about how the baby was doing and that they wanted to do a C-section. I still wasn't dilated more than 1-2 cm, baby wasn't getting anywhere, I was all exhausted and shivery and confused. So yeah, we did a C-section. The doctors whisked her away to the NICU; she was on a breathing tube for ~48 hours; it was scary as hell. Then she perked right up and has been completely fine.

Sorry about all that text! Anyway, I need some insight into what happened, what questions to ask a new OB/GYN, whether I can prevent having something like that again. I don't care about my "childbirth experience" much at all, but it was so scary when my daughter was delivered barely alive.

Does anyone have, for instance, links to solid studies or just detailed websites about
1. SSRIs and pregnancy? (I was on prozac throughout the pregnancy. I tried getting off it before getting pregnant but found that I was getting really unstable. It's been mentioned as maybe linked to my daughter's scary birth.)
2. Induction, analgesics, epidurals, C-section, not-so-breathing babies...?

Any suggestions about what to ask the OB/GYN at a pre-pregnancy meeting? I get the impression that what I experienced is not at all uncommon, but I'd like some information beyond either "just cross your fingers and let the NICU sort it out if anything goes wrong" or "modern medicine evilly overmanages birth just go natural all the way and there will be no problem." I know this is kind of :can: stuff but I need some more information so I can have a useful conversation with a doctor.

Recommendations about doulas? We didn't have anyone like that the first time--and honestly, while I'm very glad my daughter was at a fully-equipped hospital I do wish I'd had someone other than my exhausted/confused husband to help me sort through what the nurses were telling me. I'm kind of a smile-and-nod-and-do-what-they-tell-you person.

Uh, for what it's worth, I was 30 when my daughter was born, will be at least 33 for the next birth if we go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.

bamzilla posted:

Personally, if you're not scheduled for an ultrasound it's just a waste of time. You have to wait a while to get an ultrasound so sitting around is boring and in the end you'll likely end up with a photo like this:

which was the best one of the bunch :mad: That was around 23 weeks though so maybe if your SO is further along the baby won't have as much room to wiggle around and cover their face.

I had one done cause I was scheduled for an ultrasound anyway for other issues not related to the pregnancy.

I waited until almost 30 weeks. It was actually really fun, and I didn't have to wait at all. Most of the pictures came out really well, and if you have a tech who knows how to move the arm out of the way of their face, it can be pretty rewarding as long as you aren't creeped out by "melting baby" face. It was a good hour drive to this place but I haven't regretted it once.

Here's a video. He goes back and forth with his hands in his face.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS3oAqPx9wE

and a picture from the same session. He opened his eyes (which you can see on the video at about 2 mins in) and this is the still image of it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aericina fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 29, 2011