Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ganon posted:

The Amazon Cloud gives you 20GB for $20/yr.

Actually once you have the 20 gb, you have unlimited storage for MP3 and AAC/M4A files on the service!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

You know what? You know what you're putting into our bodies? Death! Delicious, strawberry-flavored death!

Residency Evil posted:

Those of you with MBAs, what are you doing for storage? I'm getting the 128gb model, and although that's going to be plenty, I'm wondering if this might not be the time to figure out a better way to store my media/files. I have my personal documents on dropbox, but I'm kind of playing loose with my mp3s. I only have about 15 gigs or so, but I don't have a backup at the moment. Thinking about getting an external USB drive, but those are such a pain with laptops.

I have a 64GB SSD 11" 2010 Air and a Synology DS211j NAS on Wireless N network.

I use the NAS to store my iTunes and iPhoto libraries and I can't tell the difference between that and when I had an iMac and they were on its HD.

The NAS is used for pretty much everything, so I have 40+ GB of the SSD free.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Amazon sounds reasonable. I have jungledisk, but is there something better these days?

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Amazon sounds reasonable. I have jungledisk, but is there something better these days?

Try out Arq, I'm a big fan of it.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
So, I'm looking to buy baby's first macbook in the near future. The recent demise of the plastic Macbooks certainly made part of the decision making easier, but I'm still a touch lost on some points.

Anti-glare vs. Regular screens: It's no big secret that the MPB screens are basically mirrors. Is the Anti-glare screen just a "regular" laptop screen, then, or does it still have the glass front? I like the glass just for the ease in keeping it clean (I assume), but the glare is pretty severe. There's no local fruitstand where I can see them side-by-side, sadly.

Refresh: The MacRumors guide says the MBP has gone about 150 days since its last update, and claims it's approaching the end of the cycle. The last two updates were each 300 days apart, though. I'm OK with waiting a bit before buying, but if it's another 150 days, then that puts us into late December. I know nobody here is psychic, but is the consensus on SA any different than MacRumors? Mac users I know have said that apple tends to refresh products in time for back-to-school; any idea if that's the case?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Doc Faustus posted:

Anti-glare vs. Regular screens: It's no big secret that the MPB screens are basically mirrors. Is the Anti-glare screen just a "regular" laptop screen, then, or does it still have the glass front? I like the glass just for the ease in keeping it clean (I assume), but the glare is pretty severe. There's no local fruitstand where I can see them side-by-side, sadly.

Come on bro, I put this in the OP :eng99:

Anti-glare is a regular screen, no glossy coating. It will not have a glass screen, it will have a metal aluminum bezel. Glossy has a glossy coating, really vivid and "popping" colors, and has the fingerprint-magnet black bezel w/ glass screen.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ethereal posted:

Try out Arq, I'm a big fan of it.

Thanks. I guess the weirdest thing for me is trying to mesh dropbox and amazon together. I guess I could also back up my dropbox files to amazon, which would allow me the ability to access them from anywhere and back them up.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Doc Faustus posted:

Refresh: The MacRumors guide says the MBP has gone about 150 days since its last update, and claims it's approaching the end of the cycle. The last two updates were each 300 days apart, though. I'm OK with waiting a bit before buying, but if it's another 150 days, then that puts us into late December. I know nobody here is psychic, but is the consensus on SA any different than MacRumors? Mac users I know have said that apple tends to refresh products in time for back-to-school; any idea if that's the case?

The new MBPs came out in February. There's almost no way they'll get refreshed in the fall.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Doc Faustus posted:

The only time I don't like glossy screens is when I'm sitting by a window.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
Thanks, guys. I'm trying one out at work at the moment (closed windows, but plenty of overhead fluorescent lighting), and the glare is pretty ridiculous. I'll probably drag this one home with me to try there soon. I like the glass screen, but hate the level of glare it throws off.

Doctor Zero, that's pretty much what I thought. And given that all 15" MPBs are already running on an i7, I couldn't imagine what tech they'd stick in an update (aside from Thunderbolt, which I don't think I care about.)

So assuming the glossy screen is usuable at home/in the library, a Hi-Res 15" MBP is in my future!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Doc Faustus posted:

So assuming the glossy screen is usuable at home/in the library, a Hi-Res 15" MBP is in my future!

Hi-res bros :hfive: Totally worth the upgrade, it's a pretty screen.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

lemmiwinks posted:

Maybe I'll give it a few more days to see if it's a spotlight indexing issue. Either way the monitor is native 1080p and the font is super tiny on a 47" at about 7 feet away, and when it's at 720p it performs better but there's some fuzziness which I assume is due to the non-native resolution.

Try turning on HiDPI mode. As for the performance, yeah, that's not normal, my iBook could drive >1080p without stuttering.

lemmiwinks
Apr 28, 2003

Lazyhound posted:

Try turning on HiDPI mode. As for the performance, yeah, that's not normal, my iBook could drive >1080p without stuttering.

I can't see anything relating to HiDPI in the preferences?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

lemmiwinks posted:

According to ars technica, you have to do it in the same place you change resolution.

720x450 is of course quarter-1440x900 so is the HIDPI to match, etc.

For 1080p it would be 960x540, etc.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

lemmiwinks posted:

You need to install Xcode from the App Store, then launch the 'Quartz Debug' app from /Developer/Applications/Performance Tools, and select 'Enable HiDPI display modes' before they will show up in the Displays prefpane. HiDPI doesn't work properly with all apps yet, but it's significantly better than Snow Leopard, so presumably they're still working on it.

lemmiwinks
Apr 28, 2003
^^^^ Sometimes it's better to be patient and wait for a good reply rather than googling for 30 minutes :)

Thanks. I think I have to enable it through quartz which is an xcode developer tool. Downloading right now to test.

Also update that the performance seems to be much faster, it must have been a spotlight indexing issue after all. If this HiDPI thing works out then this machine is a definite keeper for media center and general mac goodness with a wireless keyboard and trackpad.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
Finally made it to the Genius Bar with my cracked-screen MBA, expecting the worst. Instead I will be collecting it in 3-5 days and paying absolutely nothing for the job (£375 discount the receipt says), as a one-off goodwill gesture.

I have never seen customer service like this.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I know that on the Macbook Air that Apple advertises a 30-day standby time in sleep mode and instant wake. Will this also happen if I put in my own SSD in a Macbook Pro?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Mu Zeta posted:

I know that on the Macbook Air that Apple advertises a 30-day standby time in sleep mode and instant wake. Will this also happen if I put in my own SSD in a Macbook Pro?

The Airs also use a low-voltage processor which I think also affects battery life.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Thunderbolt port on the new MBAs looks like the same shape as the display port on the old MBAs. Does that mean that VGA/DVI connectors made for the 2010 MBA can plug into the Thunderbolt port on the new MBA?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mu Zeta posted:

The 30 day standby time is because it will do hybrid sleep with the RAM dumped to disk after a certain time. If I leave my Macbook Air "asleep" for a few days at a time, which often happens since I don't need it every day, it will take a minute or so to actually wake up versus seconds if it's sleeping for a few hours. Happens both in OS X and Bootcamped Windows 7.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Kobayashi posted:

The Thunderbolt port on the new MBAs looks like the same shape as the display port on the old MBAs. Does that mean that VGA/DVI connectors made for the 2010 MBA can plug into the Thunderbolt port on the new MBA?

Yes. I'm using one now. In fact, it's not MBA-specific. I bought this one for a 2009 MBP.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

beefnoodle posted:

Yes. I'm using one now. In fact, it's not MBA-specific. I bought this one for a 2009 MBP.

That's good to know; thanks.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

japtor posted:

Yeah it'd probably help, again assuming you're swapping. And does the VM need 4 cores? If not I've heard using extra cores can be detrimental to performance, so try maybe 1-2 out (...although since it's running off the BC partition I wonder if it'd mess with the Windows activation). Otherwise the kidney money for SSD may be the way to go, ~$400 for 256GB if that's big enough. I'm sure your kidney is worth much more!

Well I am using the VM for development. The reason it's my bootcamp partition though is that I still wanna be able to game on that fancy 6750m.

Unfortunately 256GB is too little for me to work with...my previous machine, a Vaio Z with the 128GB SSD and a secondary 340GB HDD was practically full. And I didn't even have an OSX partition on that!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

As a person who has to support Macs in an environment with lots of projectors, I seriously want to give a huge hug to whomever finally decided to standardize the drat video ports on the Mac laptops. I gave it even odds that the new Airs would have yet another specific adapter.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Doc Faustus posted:

Doctor Zero, that's pretty much what I thought. And given that all 15" MPBs are already running on an i7, I couldn't imagine what tech they'd stick in an update (aside from Thunderbolt, which I don't think I care about.)
Yeah there's nothing major new tech wise until next year with Ivy Bridge. They could potentially do a redesign finally (like they did late 2008) but with iPhone seemingly coming out in the fall I doubt that'll happen.

lemmiwinks posted:

^^^^ Sometimes it's better to be patient and wait for a good reply rather than googling for 30 minutes :)

Thanks. I think I have to enable it through quartz which is an xcode developer tool. Downloading right now to test.

Also update that the performance seems to be much faster, it must have been a spotlight indexing issue after all. If this HiDPI thing works out then this machine is a definite keeper for media center and general mac goodness with a wireless keyboard and trackpad.
As a ghetto temporary thing if you go back to the normal res, you can zoom in the screen by holding control and scrolling up (and down to zoom back out). You may have to enable this somewhere under the mouse or universal access prefpanes. There's also a keyboard shortcut, I think it's cmd-opt-plus/minus.

shodanjr_gr posted:

Well I am using the VM for development. The reason it's my bootcamp partition though is that I still wanna be able to game on that fancy 6750m.

Unfortunately 256GB is too little for me to work with...my previous machine, a Vaio Z with the 128GB SSD and a secondary 340GB HDD was practically full. And I didn't even have an OSX partition on that!
Ah well, just get the RAM and if that still isn't enough pick up some 7200rpm drive and hope it becomes acceptable. Merely acceptable is what you have to live with on a platter once you've used a SSD.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
As soon as someone comes out with the right cable to add a second drive to the Mini I will be joining the glorious SSD revolution. Clock's running, people!

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Anyone done any gaming on the new Air's?

I mean I've got my desktop for gaming and I'm buying an Air for mainly work and other purposes but it would be pretty sweet if I could take my air to a friends place and play some Starcraft 2 with him or even when I'm on a plane to waste some time.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Fists Up posted:

I mean I've got my desktop for gaming and I'm buying an Air for mainly work and other purposes but it would be pretty sweet if I could take my air to a friends place and play some Starcraft 2 with him or even when I'm on a plane to waste some time.

My friends old 2009 13 mbp runs SC2 fine on low settings. So I think an air would be fine to run it. Would never want to actually play on that keyboard though.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Fists Up posted:

I just played a round of TF2 at full resolution, it had some framerate issues but it was playable enough.

E: vvv It's the new 13" 256GB i5.

One Swell Foop fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 25, 2011

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

One Swell Foop posted:

I just played a round of TF2 at full resolution, it had some framerate issues but it was playable enough.

What are the specs on your Air?

I sort of want one but I'd like to be able to do a little gaming, TF2, SC2 and Diablo 3 eventually.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ganon posted:

I thought so, mine is an LG. I kept noticing how the YOSPOS.CSS was really the wrong shade of green. This is a bit disturbing because I have to occasionally look at color proofs and scans on my Air and if the color is this much off I don't think I can honestly keep this thing around.

gently caress. I don't want to take a hit on a restocking fee, and it sounds like roulette on which screen you get.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 25, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Doctor Zero posted:

As a person who has to support Macs in an environment with lots of projectors, I seriously want to give a huge hug to whomever finally decided to standardize the drat video ports on the Mac laptops. I gave it even odds that the new Airs would have yet another specific adapter.

Apple probably listened to the screams of people bitching that every time they upgrade their cool new Air, they have to get a new video cable too. Leave the wrong one in your case and you're up poo poo's creek at your next presentation.

BTW, anyone who wants to calibrate their monitor and doesn't want to pay big bucks for a colorimeter, or use Apple's semi-ham-fisted manual calibration routines should download SuperCal. It's $19 trialware but it has a pretty good 'eyeballs only' calibration routine that's free to use.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 25, 2011

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Binary Badger posted:

BTW, anyone who wants to calibrate their monitor and doesn't want to pay big bucks for a colorimeter, or use Apple's semi-ham-fisted manual calibration routines should download SuperCal. It's $19 trialware but it has a pretty good 'eyeballs only' calibration routine that's free to use.

quote:

When SuperCal is used unlicensed, all measurement and calibration operations will function normally, but the resulting ColorSync profile will be crippled. The profile will correct your display's visual appearance, but using the profile in ColorSync-aware applications like Photoshop will result in inaccurate colors rendered to any output device.

So, basically, anyone who actually needs a properly calibrated display can't use it for free.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

amf5 posted:

So, basically, anyone who actually needs a properly calibrated display can't use it for free.

I think that's the point.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

jfreder posted:

I think that's the point.

I realize that, but saying "you can use this to calibrate your display for free" to someone who needs to look at color proofs isn't exactly true. I tried out the demo anyway, and as far as I can tell, apart from the white balance being different (defaulted to what looks like ~9000K) it's almost identical to the calibration I can get out of Apple's built in utility. I don't have a colorimeter though, so I honestly have no idea if it's anywhere near accurate.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yes, it's no good for actually creating a decent ColorSync profile. I also never said it would be perfect for doing color proofing, it's just a better way to manually calibrate your display.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BTW, the cheapest monitor calibrator you can get for Mac / PC at this moment is this Spyder 3 Express for $66 before shipping.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 25, 2011

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

BTW, the cheapest monitor calibrator you can get for Mac / PC at this moment is this Spyder Express for $66 before shipping.

I would say I'm a bit disenchanted with Spyder because I had a Spyder 2 Express and the software is PPC only and they don't plan on updating it for Lion. So now I have a paperweight. For the time being my workaround was to install Snow Leopard on a spare external USB drive just for running the calibration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Not trying to defend them, but the Spyder 3 Express software works with OS X 10.4, 10.5, and 10.6 and was last updated 9/10, and it shows up as a Universal application in the Finder. Haven't tried it with Lion but it works fine on a Mac Pro with a crummy Samsung monitor and an old white iMac C2D.