Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
I'd be interested in 70's funk (small label) 45s and maybe some of the NY 12"s.

If you're looking for easy listing and set prices and plan on letting them sit and sell, then I'd say Discogs over GEMM, especially for 12"s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

JehovahsWetness posted:

I'd be interested in 70's funk (small label) 45s and maybe some of the NY 12"s.

If you're looking for easy listing and set prices and plan on letting them sit and sell, then I'd say Discogs over GEMM, especially for 12"s.

Discogs charges 8% and it has a wantlist function, the interface is better than GEMM too. I'd love to see big collections on SA mart but discogs will email prospective customers if you take the time to set up a store.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ok cool, thanks guys. I'll probably use Discogs then, I already have an account and the Gemm interface does feel a little lovely from the little bit I've used it setting up a seller account.

I'm sure I'll post some stuff here too but it might take me a little while to sort through everything to see what I can part with. I basically saved every record I ever owned from when I was a kid and never dreamed of getting rid of anything but I really need to make some space and have somehow become less attached to vinyl as horrible as that sounds.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Snowy posted:

I'm looking to lighten up my collection by a couple thousand records and I'm trying to figure out the best sales site to use.
To echo the others, use Discogs, but list everyhting here first, we'll probably buy a bunch.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

JohnnyMondo posted:

To echo the others, use Discogs, but list everyhting here first, we'll probably buy a bunch.

And don't you want your precious physical media to go to a goon home?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
The best thing about selling in SA Mart is that there are no fees.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apologies if this is the wrong topic, but I figured this was the best place. I recently rescued a box of records, and found an audition record. It's a shellac(?) 10 inch with an orange label. The label has 3 boxes for speed, with the 33 RPM one checked off. The sleeve it's in is a generic brown paper one apparently from the Presto Recording Corporation, but the label says Quality Recording Service at the top. Apparently it was manufactured in Stockton, CA. The band listed on it is University of Pacific Band Frolic, and the song listed for both sides is "Happiness is a..." and it says Covell Hall. Does anyone know anything about the band/company/how much it would be worth? Thanks in advance. I can post pictures if needed.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Stuntman posted:

Does anyone know anything about the band/company/how much it would be worth?

You've got a lathe-cut acetate/disc of a university function. Band Frolic's like a variety show/stage competition thing for student organizations. Presto was a manufacturer of instant/field recording equipment to record instantaneously or cut one-offs. Is it a bunch of college kids doing a Beatles cover? Have you listened to it? (Also, don't clean it with alcohol.)

Worth? Unless there's something amazing on there, probably next to nothing unless you want to hunt down someone on the recording and mail it to them for karma or something.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Stuntman posted:

Apologies if this is the wrong topic, but I figured this was the best place. I recently rescued a box of records, and found an audition record. It's a shellac(?) 10 inch with an orange label. The label has 3 boxes for speed, with the 33 RPM one checked off. The sleeve it's in is a generic brown paper one apparently from the Presto Recording Corporation, but the label says Quality Recording Service at the top. Apparently it was manufactured in Stockton, CA. The band listed on it is University of Pacific Band Frolic, and the song listed for both sides is "Happiness is a..." and it says Covell Hall. Does anyone know anything about the band/company/how much it would be worth? Thanks in advance. I can post pictures if needed.

Apparently it's a "annual university stage competition called Band Frolic" which ran at least from the 60s-80s. There's mentions of it in a fair amount of Google results, Archive.org has this one posted: http://www.archive.org/details/BandFrolic77-OmegaPhiAlpha_699

I wouldn't think it would be worth much of anything unless you could find someone with a particular interest in it, the way old yearbooks sell for a lot. Maybe you can find a forum for school alumni or something like that.

That's my guess at least.

e-argh, beaten, but at least we agree.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Snowy posted:

I'm looking to lighten up my collection by a couple thousand records and I'm trying to figure out the best sales site to use.

I've got 80s-90s punk, hardcore (nyhc, powerviolence, crust), ambient/experimental, harsh noise, a big collection of 70s-80s funk 45s, old school NY hip hop.. kinda all over the map but a lot of stuff on smaller labels that might not add up to instant ebay sales.

Amazon takes (if I'm getting this right) 33% on a $10 music sale. Gemm has a flat 13% fee, and I'm thinking I will set up shop there. I hear Gemm can be slow for making sales but maybe the stuff I have will take time to sell anyway.

Have any of you sold largish amounts of vinyl online?

The noise and industrial will sell like hot cakes on eBay. The punk too probably . When you do sell em post the link in here I'd love to see what you got

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Snowy posted:

I've got 80s-90s punk, hardcore (nyhc, powerviolence, crust), ambient/experimental, harsh noise, a big collection of 70s-80s funk 45s, old school NY hip hop.. kinda all over the map but a lot of stuff on smaller labels that might not add up to instant ebay sales.

Amazon takes (if I'm getting this right) 33% on a $10 music sale. Gemm has a flat 13% fee, and I'm thinking I will set up shop there. I hear Gemm can be slow for making sales but maybe the stuff I have will take time to sell anyway.

Have any of you sold largish amounts of vinyl online?

I'd love to have a bunch of 80's-90's punk. Early melvins and operation ivy. Can I get a bulk discount? LOVE YOU MAN

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Anyone has recommendations for frames you use for your records? I'd love to hang up some of my favorites.

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

1000 umbrellas posted:

http://conveyor.bandcamp.com

I've been listening to this lock groove for half an hour now, the sleeve and insert look great, the vinyl is gorgeous. The music is neither overwrought nor amateurish. The entire thing is incredible.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

DrHolmesPhD posted:

I've been listening to this lock groove for half an hour now, the sleeve and insert look great, the vinyl is gorgeous. The music is neither overwrought nor amateurish. The entire thing is incredible.
I accidentally set mine to my parent's house, so I have to wait a month to get mine, but I am pretty excited to listen to it.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

DrHolmesPhD posted:

It really is a great EP. I wish it had at least one more song on it though. I love the personal touch of all the hand numbering, labeling, side a/b etc.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

A Bag of Milk posted:

Anyone has recommendations for frames you use for your records? I'd love to hang up some of my favorites.

Urban Outfitters has some album frames for $10 a piece. If you have a craft store like Michaels nearby you might be able to get them cheaper. Urban Outfitters usually has free shipping on orders over $50, fair warning though, there is a good chance that the glass in the frames will get smashed. I'll post pictures of mine if you want.

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=8098378

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Snowy posted:

If you get the chance, I'd be interested in some harsh noise and ambient/experimental stuff, depending on what you've got. Definitely post a list.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

I Might Be Adam posted:

It really is a great EP. I wish it had at least one more song on it though. I love the personal touch of all the hand numbering, labeling, side a/b etc.

Not to mention the personal note! Mine arrived nice and fast to Toronto.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

crazyfish posted:

If you get the chance, I'd be interested in some harsh noise and ambient/experimental stuff, depending on what you've got. Definitely post a list.

I'll make sure to post a bunch of stuff for sure, and there's a decent amount of noise in there.

A Bag of Milk posted:

This instructables tip seems good, I might try it out since it looks cheap and easy. http://www.instructables.com/id/Hang-Up-Your-Old-Vinyl-Records/

Or do like me and find both frame and record in the garbage:

I always loved that cover and I recently found this great 12 part series, "The Posse Project", that catches up with everyone in the photo:

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsun/the_posse_project/

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just got my vinyl in today from that goon. Sounds even better coming from here. Thanks for the note too! Good luck with everything. :)

I have to find a way to store all my records tho. No Ikea here in Winnipeg for a bit. Thinking of wooden shelves. Anyone got pics o their storage ?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I haven't had good experience with storing records on wooden shelving, but if you make your own you can build them strong enough to bear the weight.

I bought a few sets of these metal shelving units from a restaurant supply shop. They're the heavier duty kind compared to the ones that look like this that are sold at Home Depot etc. They're easy to put up/take down and last forever. I put 2-3 milkcrates per shelf so I can pull down sections easily. I've been very happy with this method.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Finnish milk crates are just too small for LPs. :( Meat boxes, on the other hand... Of course, it's illegal to use them for storing your records.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Snowy, it sounds like you'd have a ton of stuff I'd be interested in, definitely post a list.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'll definitely put stuff up, I'm just selling the big stuff first. Going through a mid-life organization crisis. Anyone in NYC want a couple nice SL-1200M3D's for $600?

If anyone goes for the shelving I mentioned, I'd suggest going as tall as you can, expecting that you can put a few crates on top too. The good part about restaurant supply shops is they have a wide variety of sizes and will cut the height how you want. I got mine 6' tall but now I wish I got 7'. Also, giving yourself an extra couple inches height per shelf is nice for browsing.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Get a shoebox for 7"s and build a shelf or get those 5 dollar record boxes and use dividers or something.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Or banker's boxes work well for 7"s too, they fit two rows sideways pretty well. The boxes are a little tall but they're strong and the hand holes are convenient for lifting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

cheese eats mouse posted:

There's a few things I'm wondering if you have. I've been looking for the damned Demon Days LP at a decent price for forever.

SA Mart is your best bet, plus I know everyone in this thread would jump on it quickly and they'd be going to loving homes. :)

I do actually have Demon Days. I'll give you a heads up if I end up selling my collection.

JehovahsWetness posted:

If you know how to grade and ship a record then doing a set sale here or on some other record forum can get decently priced records moved pretty quickly.

What I'd do is pull all the records below a certain value (~$10, it's up to you) and sell/trade those as a lot to a decent record store. Return value will suck but so does grading, listing, packing, and shipping records (trust me). The remainder can be sold set sale/discogs. You may hit up your local store, since a lot of good stores will sell higher value records on commission and you won't have to deal with the hassle. There's private dealers that also sell on commission.

It really, really depends on the quality and quantity of your collection. I've moved a ton of records really quick by just doing a craigslist ad and people will buy tons of the worst poo poo.

This is a great idea. Thanks.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 23, 2011

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

NESguerilla posted:

I do actually have Demon Days. I'll give you a heads up if I end up selling my collection.

This is a great idea. Thanks.

Ooo first dibs if you do! ;)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Carl FTWinslow posted:

Get a shoebox for 7"s and build a shelf or get those 5 dollar record boxes and use dividers or something.

The "short" comic storage boxes work great for 45s. I cut a couple of inches off the top, though.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Just got Marina & the Diamonds - The Family Jewels new and sealed for $62. I knew I should have bought it when the price was still reasonable. But it's going for double that price on Amazon so I figure I got a good deal still.

momomoto
Jul 25, 2007

5 down, 5 to go. Plus some other stuff to make the image prettier.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Well, usually I make out a little better, but the hard truth is that if you run a record fair, you won't get to look through the stuff until others have picked through the best stuff. Still went really well though, huge turnout

My haul:

LPs
Ike & Tina - Live at Carnegie Hall (if this is full of Tina doing "Now listen ladies, how many y'all have a man that says blah blah blah" then goddamn)
The Boogie Kings - The Boogie Kings
Dr John the Nighttripper - The Sun, Moon and Herbs
Earl Palmer - Drumsville
Barefoot Jerry - Barefoot Jerry

45s
these all 50cents to a dollar:
Mitch Ryder + Detroit Wheels - One Grain of Salt / Too Many Fish in the Sea
Mitch Ryder + Detroit Wheels - A Face in the Crowd / Come See About Me
Mitch Ryder + Detroit Wheels - Takin' All I can Get / You Get Your Kicks
Shadows of Knight - Bad Little Woman / Gospel Zone
Shadows of Knight - Light Bulb Blues / Oh Yeah
The Rivieras - Lakeview Lane / Let's Go To Hawaii
The Rivieras - Let's Have a Party / Little Donna
Bill Collins - Border Beat / Upturn
General Crook - Gimme Some Part 1 / Gimme Some Part 2
The Spacemen - The Clouds / The Lonely Jet Pilot
Whatnauts - I can't Stand to See You Cry / Instigating (Trouble Making Fool)
Floyd Brown - Hurt You, haunt You, Heal You / (same) (local)
Baby Cortez - I turned to you / I Know Who You Been Socking It To (curious about his later stuff)

These 45s totalling to about $35
Mody-Vation - Ghetto Kung Fu parts 1 & 2
The Chiefs - Dee's Dream / Apache!
The Pop-ups - Candy Rock / Lurking
Egyptian Combo - Gale Winds / Rockin' Little Egypt
The Cheerleaders - True Love

most excitingly, I'm usually happy if I break even with selling. Even with giving my brother a $50 cut for helping sell, I made $150 and probably only spent about 75ish. Shouldn't have sold Nighthawks in the Diner for $8 though, I don't know why I intentionally leave steals amidst my stuff

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Went with some cube shelving units I picked up at Home Depot for $65. The picture showed it as being wall mountable but they didn't include anything in the box to do so. In fact, they had instructions telling me to go back and ask a rep what I need to do. Kinda bummed about that as I love floating shelves but this will do for now.

Yeah, the turntable isn't hooked up to anything yet (I use my basement player for now) but I'll be browsing around Kijiji for some deals soon.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Wow that's actually kind of competitive pricing vs. Ikea expedits and looks like decent build quality (anything beats Ikea for that). Trying to find if they have them in 4x4

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Farts Domino posted:

Wow that's actually kind of competitive pricing vs. Ikea expedits and looks like decent build quality (anything beats Ikea for that). Trying to find if they have them in 4x4

Around here, Ikea sells Expedit 2x2s for 29 €. Don't know what that would be in dollars, though. I've never had any problems with build quality, I think the Expedits are quite well designed and I've had no wobble or bending (on a 4x4) so far. The only problem is that the material is really easy to crush if something hits it (as in door frames when moving).

Also, Vintersorg, mounting a shelf full of LPs on the wall seems pretty risky anyway.

Oh, and I got Huey Lewis and the News' Power of Love maxi single for 2 € and it's in pretty much mint condition and I'm pretty happy about that. I bought it at the local recycling centre and there was also a copy of Diana Ross's Silk Electric with the covers in immaculate condition but inside was some lovely Diana Ross compilation and another LP by Lea Laven (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyKDBVlgG7U to give you an idea).

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 24, 2011

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Farts Domino posted:

Lots of great stuff inc. Earl Palmer - Drumsville

Love your style.

...oh yeah: This album has a nice cover of Teen Beat, which was originally done by Sandy Nelson I believe.

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 24, 2011

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
I just ran across this BBC documentary about the easy listening genre. It gives a lot of background to all the names you see on the records in thrift stores.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgmCw3fcZxg

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

May I also recommend Joseph Lanza's Elevator Music - A Surreal History of Muzak, Easy-Listening, and Other Moodsong. It's not surreal, really, but it is interesting and not too long. Too bad it's pretty America-centric and basically ignores a lot of the pertinent European (and Asian) stuff.

EDIT: I really started buying up the records mentioned in the book after I'd first read it some years ago and there's a lot of poo poo dope (as the kids say these days) to be had for 1 € out there and Lanza really paints it all in a very positive light but be warned - most 101 Strings records actually are just as bland as you'd expect.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 25, 2011

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Snowy, definitely post at least a link here, I'd be interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
This week at Insound, we're cutting prices by 15% across our entire stock. And we now accept Paypal for all orders. What are you waiting for?