Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trampletheweak
Oct 23, 2008
Started Chantix about a week and a half ago, been smoking for about 10 years...it's definitely helping. I just don't really feel like it and when I do I don't finish them. I don't give a poo poo about the whole "I have +15 Willpower and a 1 in 6 chance of rolling a multiplier so I can quit all by myself" mess, I just want to quit smoking. It takes a while but for me it works and it's already put at least 20 bucks in my pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Pancakes
Jun 22, 2005

I'm using technology.
Thought I would chime in and say I heard about the Alan Carr book on here like 4-5 years ago, and that's one of the biggest reasons I've stayed quit. Wow, it's been more than 4 1/2 years since I've quit (I smoked for 12 years). Never thought I'd write something like that, but after a year or so, I started to lose track of the time.

It's not like I kept it around like a bible or something and highlighted passages. There was just one particular idea in that book that stuck with me: realizing that you can never quit until you can stop making excuses to have one more smoke. Well, that and realizing how easy it is to glamorize cigarettes when you haven't had one in a while.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Dolphin Fetus posted:

No offense, but this scares the living hell out of me. I don't want to imagine I can still get cravings after 3 months. Right now my mindset feels like one cigarette puts me back at where I was before quitting.

I'm just coming up to 3 months now, and it's nothing like when you first stop smoking. Sometimes you will kind of want a cigarette, in the way you might kind of want a cake or a beer, it goes pretty quickly and isn't your body screaming at you for addictive substances.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
On day 4 right now. Starting a new job on August 1st where you can't smoke on premises. I figure if I have to go 8-10 hours a day without one, might as well just be done with it. I'm on a two week staycation until the new job starts.

Sunday night I went thru and got rid of all of my ashtrays, all of my lighters except for one. Had 4 cigarettes left in my final pack.

Monday morning I woke up, walked down to the dumpster, smoked 2 of the 4 in rapid succession, threw out the rest.

I'm using the patch, combined with lots of chewing gum and this stuff called CigX that seems to work mostly by making you feel like you just brushed your teeth. I also carry my E-Cigs with me for ABSOLUTE emergencies, but I haven't actually taken even one drag off of them. Even last night when I went to the Rockies game and had a couple of beers.

For the most part, I haven't had any really horrible nicotine fits. Sometimes I go to reach for them, then suddenly remember "oh, wait, I don't do that anymore." Exercise in some form (swim, basketball, walk) every single day helps a lot.

Hell, just keeping busy helps a lot too...today I replaced the knobs on my dresser. Just for a project to keep me busy for an hour or two.

Also, my doctor put me on Clonazapam and generic Zoloft just before I quit, and I noticed even before I quit that it lowered my anxiety levels to the point where I can function without them a lot easier.

Just beginning to get that lovely ex-smokers cough, but it's tolerable for now. I'm hoping it works, but I'm just taking it one day at a time at this point.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Robert Kubica posted:

Snip

Obviously thats not all down to not smoking, but if I were still smoking I sure as hell wouldnt be running.

Snip

I was smoking while training for the state police. Run 3 miles get in the car turn on the ac and light one up.

I was insane.

saig
Mar 9, 2003

i see your reply and raise you an i dont give a shit
Update for me. Been about close to a month now. I snuck at least a few smokes here and there, however I never bought a pack or had active cravings to just make it routine.

Sabaka
Aug 12, 2005
I'm starting to realize that the only hope I have of quitting smoking is to quit drinking almost entirely as well. This is bad for my social life and I'm not sure what to do about it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I am on day 6. I've smoked since I was 12, and I'm 21 now, so i suppose now is the right time to quit before I become an old man and can't deal with it as easily.

Today I was at the train station, and I must have stared at the cigarette stall for ten straight minutes, fighting the urge. And i totally did, and I totally feel 15 dollars richer now.

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 24, 2011

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Sabaka posted:

I'm starting to realize that the only hope I have of quitting smoking is to quit drinking almost entirely as well. This is bad for my social life and I'm not sure what to do about it.

I went the other way with it. Want a smoke? Finish your glass and get another drink! Can't smoke if you're asleep!

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003
It has been 2 weeks since I have had a cigarette! I am so proud of myself. This is one of my greatest accomplishments. So far I haven't really been able to hang out with my friends. They are all smokers and the couple times I have met with them, I had to leave because I was getting huge cravings. However, two of my friends have stated that they are going to quit smoking August 1st. Hopefully I am an inspiration to them!

As long as I am not around it, I rarely get a craving.

As a reward, I bought myself a new bed. It is much needed and it is being delivered in about an hour! Can't wait to take a nap!

No. 3 - The Calhoun
Oct 13, 2004

Everyone loves a slow loris!
Accidentally quit smoking a week ago. My wheelchair broke down so I haven't been able to go out and buy any. I'm hoping to keep going when I experience blessed freedom again on Wednesday.

VAN
May 21, 2004
how do i make baby
I quit smoking a little over two years ago after being a nearly two pack a day smoker for around a decade. The way I got it to be doable was to eat a peppermint candy every time I wanted one. It sucked horribly the first week or two, but then it was bearable. Eventually, I weaned myself off of peppermints, too. I gained a shitload of weight from eating so much sugar almost constantly (20-25 pounds) and just recently went to the dentist for the first time since I'd quit smoking (I tend to put off going until in pain/need arises) and found that my peppermint use apparently was bad. According to my dentist "peppermint eats through enamel like acid would eat through your skin."

Anyway, one root canal and several fillings later, it's all good. But yes, the rumors are true. Smells come back. Things taste different. You even breathe better. Just pick a slightly less expensive way (in both looks and dental bills) to kick the habit.

Omgawd
Apr 7, 2011
Decided to cut my caffeine intake in half over the weekend (was only staying awake 6 hours at a time, the caffeine crashes were knocking me out). My smoking has dropped by half as well. I've been sleeping a couple hours more a day, which obviously leads to less smoking but i havent wanted cigarettes nearly as bad.

I'm going to stop the coffee completely here in a couple days.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I am completely done with smoking now.

After two days of not smoking, I snuck a cigarette and smoked it. Well, after doing this, I started throwing up. My body apparently rejected this drat cigarette and now I have zero desire to smoke or even use the Snus I have.

Go body!

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Smelly posted:

I am completely done with smoking now.

After two days of not smoking, I snuck a cigarette and smoked it. Well, after doing this, I started throwing up. My body apparently rejected this drat cigarette and now I have zero desire to smoke or even use the Snus I have.

Go body!

Lucky motherfucker :v:

I now get sick when I (attempt) to smoke, and I've started drinking at home. still crave like poo poo when I drink, but getting over it.

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

creepin n rollin

Hopefully just had my last cigarette. I don't even enjoy it anymore, so why do I do it? Maybe just repeating that over and over will help.

I've never tried to quit before :saddowns:

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
14 days ago was driving, lit a smoke, took 3 drags and suddenly became angry with myself for smoking. Threw it and the rest of my pack out the window and havent had so much as a drag since. Pack a day smoker for 4 years, quit just like that. Things get way easier after a week. I just gotta make sure not to think that I'm safe enough to have one while I've been drinking or something, because it doesn't work like that for me. Not a single one ever again.

Eggs
Apr 15, 2007
Hello!

Eggs fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 2, 2011

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
2nd day of quitting is almost done. It's been mostly fine, apart from two or three occurences of craving that last about an hour each I've not really noticed not smoking so far. I've just spent the last hour with a real tightness-in-the-chest veins-crying-out craving and it's a complete loving bitch, but it's wearing off now.

I was lucky, I had an awful cold the morning I had planned on quitting, and I was hungover, so it got me through the first 24 hours of getting nicotine out of my blood without wanting to smoke anyway. I'm moving to a new area and when I was packing my last minute stuff, feeling horribly ill, I just threw my tobacco, filters, papers and lighters into a binbag and took it outside, didn't really think about it.

I never had a ceremonial last one, it's weird. I was smoking on saturday night while I was out, but I can't remember my last one, I wasn't thinking about how it would be my last night smoking. Just woke up Sunday, remembered I was quitting and threw them all away. Here's hoping it lasts. Not looking forward to my first drink after this, going to wait atleast a week, probably two.

To be honest I think this thread is making me think about smoking too much, I think distraction tactics are going to work the best.

Master Kush
Aug 8, 2007

God smoking is the worst cause you know if you do it your probably going to die from it, if you don't have unrelated problems. I started about a year and 8 months ago and I hate it and I have a cough all the time that makes me throw up sometimes and I can't even do a little bit of running or walking up stairs as I get breathless. Ive tried everything from cold turkey, lozenges, electronic cigarettes, and gum. None of them worked and the electronic cigarettes were the worst thing for me as they gave me a huge dose of nicotine and now I gotta smoke more, not to mention I could not sleep when I vaped. I think I am going to try Chantix as I heard it will not give you withdrawal symptoms from quitting cigarettes, but I am worried about the numerous side effects than can happen. Has anyone tried Chantix here? Did it work or did you have really bad side effects?

Master Kush
Aug 8, 2007

trampletheweak posted:

Started Chantix about a week and a half ago, been smoking for about 10 years...it's definitely helping. I just don't really feel like it and when I do I don't finish them. I don't give a poo poo about the whole "I have +15 Willpower and a 1 in 6 chance of rolling a multiplier so I can quit all by myself" mess, I just want to quit smoking. It takes a while but for me it works and it's already put at least 20 bucks in my pocket.

Glad it is helping, any side effects?

kolider
Sep 25, 2007

Master Kush posted:

The most common side effects I got were very vivid dreaming while sleeping and nausea after taking the 1mg tablets if I didn't take enough water with it. People may notice other side effects but at the end of the day - do you know what the side effects to smoking are?

I tried so many different things like you have in the past and nothing worked until I did Champix - it really does work and you owe it to yourself to at least try it. If you hate it that much, then stop taking it.

Sirslask
May 5, 2010
Just converted to snus, tho a cig once in a while is drat tempting

Keisari
May 24, 2011

jimmychoo posted:

Hopefully just had my last cigarette. I don't even enjoy it anymore, so why do I do it? Maybe just repeating that over and over will help.

I've never tried to quit before :saddowns:

I know the feeling. It's the dopamine hook that causes the cravings, in the past you've smoked and enjoyed it. Ok, you get endorphins, AND dopamin. Dopamin reinforces this behavior where you've gained endorphins (pleasure). The endorphin rush you've gained in the past from cigs has long since quieted down, and only dopamin remains. This causes you to keep on smoking even if you get little to no pressure, and you know it's loving dangerous.

Break the hook.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Third day was a lot harder. My brain is trying to trick me into justifying having a smoke.

The biggest detriment to my motivation is that I don't even want to quit smoking now, I just don't want to smoke forever, but this is the perfect time to do it and probably the best chance I'm ever going to have. I'd be perfectly happy to smoke all the way through my 20s (23 now) but then I would have been smoking for 15 years and I don't even want to imagine what quitting that habit would be like.

Actually want to scream because the craving is keeping me awake now, but staying strong. gently caress.

trampletheweak
Oct 23, 2008

Master Kush posted:

For me no, but my girlfriend had horrible ones...she muscled through a month of it though and now she hasn't smoked in almost a month, says it doesn't bother her either. Good motivation for me I don't wanna look like a bitch

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
Day 8 now. It's getting easier, slightly.

I've found I can drink and still be OK, as long as I stick to beer and kind of control consumption. One beer an hour at the bar, I'll probably be fine. But I've been avoiding mixed drinks or those beer busts where they keep refilling your cup.

Still like secondhand smoke. If someone smokes around me, I'll breathe it in DEEP. Haven't developed too much of an ex-smokers cough. Hardest time is after meals and before bed, but I can get around it by brushing my teeth, chewing gum, and/or just taking a short walk.

I'm a bit worried because I go back to working starting Monday, and I'm going to be under more stress, and not have as much free time to just be able to walk around and kick my nic fits. I think I'll buy a huge thing of gum and stick it in my car, and maybe carry a toothbrush and toothpaste with me so I can brush right after meals and snacks.

Flu Roo
Apr 13, 2010

I just smoked my last cigarette, GBS. Enough.

(Will report back later with results, first time I've tried since I started 16 years ago)

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I've been about 20 days without smoking so far and it's been a lot easier than I thought it would because I'm not drinking anymore either. I felt like I was far enough along in sobriety to try and kick the smokes too, something I never would have been able to if I was still drinking. My using/drinking dreams have subsided and now I wake up feeling guilty for sneak-smoking in my dreams, because my subconscious is a dick.

blackmet posted:

"oh, wait, I don't do that anymore."

This thought was a frequently occuring and pretty funny little mind trick during my first couple days. Going on break at work and not immediately going outside to smoke, and instead going to the breakroom and just sitting down and having a snack or whatever was so foreign to me, it really took some getting used to. Convincing myself I'm now a non-smoker took a while but I'm starting to believe it.

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 28, 2011

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
Smokers and former smokers alike sometimes refer to cigarettes as friends. It is somewhat silly to refer to an inanimate object in such a loving term usually reserved for those that reciprocate those feelings. Cigarettes don't give a drat about you. They are just something that occupy a time and space and satisfy a craving.

All that being said, I still love cigarettes. Yea, they aren't really your "friend." But dammit, when your car breaks down and you have to sit on the side of the highway, who keeps you company while you wait for the tow truck? Who will hang with you on porch/balcony/fire escape at 3 in the morning while everyone is asleep? When you wanna drink your sorrows away by yourself, who is still welcome company? I haven't had a cigarette in 3 weeks or so, and I don't plan on having one anytime soon. But drat if I don't miss my friend sometimes.

Omgawd
Apr 7, 2011

Brutal Hammer posted:

Smokers and former smokers alike sometimes refer to cigarettes as friends. It is somewhat silly to refer to an inanimate object in such a loving term usually reserved for those that reciprocate those feelings. Cigarettes don't give a drat about you. They are just something that occupy a time and space and satisfy a craving.

All that being said, I still love cigarettes. Yea, they aren't really your "friend." But dammit, when your car breaks down and you have to sit on the side of the highway, who keeps you company while you wait for the tow truck? Who will hang with you on porch/balcony/fire escape at 3 in the morning while everyone is asleep? When you wanna drink your sorrows away by yourself, who is still welcome company? I haven't had a cigarette in 3 weeks or so, and I don't plan on having one anytime soon. But drat if I don't miss my friend sometimes.

This is because, chemically, you're brain really does think the cigarette is a friend.

Cigarettes literally combat loneliness, and nicotine withdrawals, at least for me, incorporate feeling like the loneliest person in the world.

Also, since smoking satisfies your friendship desire, to at least a certain extent, its a lot easier to justify sitting in your room smoking than actually going out.

Its so silly to think about. I love many things so much more than smoking, but if you told me today that i would never, for instance, eat another freshly baked chocolate chip cookie, im not sure if i'd even get that bummed about it. However trying to conceptualize never smoking again is synonymous to shooting my best friend in the face.

Omgawd
Apr 7, 2011

Hoops posted:

Third day was a lot harder. My brain is trying to trick me into justifying having a smoke.

The biggest detriment to my motivation is that I don't even want to quit smoking now, I just don't want to smoke forever, but this is the perfect time to do it and probably the best chance I'm ever going to have. I'd be perfectly happy to smoke all the way through my 20s (23 now) but then I would have been smoking for 15 years and I don't even want to imagine what quitting that habit would be like.

Actually want to scream because the craving is keeping me awake now, but staying strong. gently caress.

I've always had the "I'm not going to be one of those 10+ year smokers, im just smoking for now, something in my life will change and i'll quit" people. However, i've gone from being someone who never really got angry, anxious, or frustrated for 24 years to someone who punches holes in boxes at work, considers risking losing their job over unauthorized smoke breaks, and goes to work wondering if today will be the day i hit one of my co-workers with a chair.

Someone in this thread put it best, but I can't enjoy a movie, a conversation, or anything without a subconscious clock ticking away, counting down the minutes until i can excuse myself for a cigarette. I realized i didn't smoke while i read books or played video games, i read books or played video games while i smoked.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Yeah I just keep asking myself when the last time I've genuinely enjoyed the cigarette I was smoking on. Last time I can remember is about 2 years ago. I just remind myself that there's nothing that I actually like about cigarettes anymore, I just happen to be addicted, which is lame in and of itself so I may as well cut it out. I'd just get all cranky when I couldn't have one, and all having one did was make me feel not cranky. Smoking is dumb as gently caress. 16 days and still going here.

WILDTURKEY101 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 28, 2011

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Omgawd posted:

I've always had the "I'm not going to be one of those 10+ year smokers, im just smoking for now, something in my life will change and i'll quit" people. However, i've gone from being someone who never really got angry, anxious, or frustrated for 24 years to someone who punches holes in boxes at work, considers risking losing their job over unauthorized smoke breaks, and goes to work wondering if today will be the day i hit one of my co-workers with a chair.

Someone in this thread put it best, but I can't enjoy a movie, a conversation, or anything without a subconscious clock ticking away, counting down the minutes until i can excuse myself for a cigarette. I realized i didn't smoke while i read books or played video games, i read books or played video games while i smoked.

The worst for me is visiting family or friends who don't smoke. The whole time I should be enjoying being around them, I start getting really irritated until I can figure out a way to sneak off.

I've got next week off, and my best friend/smoking buddy is out of town, so I'm planning on quitting this weekend :unsmith:

Omgawd
Apr 7, 2011

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Yeah I just keep asking myself when the last time I've genuinely enjoyed the cigarette I was smoking on. Last time I can remember is about 2 years ago. I just remind myself that there's nothing that I actually like about cigarettes anymore, I just happen to be addicted, which is lame in and of itself so I may as well cut it out. I'd just get all cranky when I couldn't have one, and all having one did was make me feel not cranky. Smoking is dumb as gently caress. 16 days and still going here.

After not smoking for a while, the first drag is like a ice cold water on a blistering hot day. However, the good feeling tapers off fast, and the longer i go without smoking, the more nauseous i feel immediately after smoking.

Out of around 10 cigarettes on a normal day, i enjoy one of them, and thats my morning cigarette.

Straw Dog
Dec 9, 2008

by Ozmaugh
I've been off the cancer sticks for roughly 13 months now. Did not use any method, book or chemical aid.
Did gain quite some weight though, but overall I experienced enormous improvements of my sense of health and general well-being.

Chiming in with two lessons from personal experience:
1. You can quite smoking even if you are highly susceptible to addiction, but cravings may not go away even after a considerable amount of time. I still feel the occasional need to breath thick and noxious fire into my lungs, and I was never even a heavy smoker. I also miss the little social and physical routines, habits and mannerisms that came with smoking.
2. You can quite smoking even if you are highly susceptible to addiction. Keep that in mind, because it means anybody can quit. There is no excuse not to.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
I quit three days ago with the gum. And Mad Men just hit Netflix instant. And it's a really tough combination. But I'm doin it, barely haha.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Been smoking since the age of 18 and now 21. Really should quit, what with (touch wood) starting a mental health nursing course soon and having a young daughter.

Tried to quit about a year ago using patches, then inhalators and then gum. But the former made me vomit, the latter both tasted vile. Also tried using herbal tobacco (Alas, not that sort of herbal tobacco) from a local health food shop, but it tasted like smoking sardines (How do herbs taste like fish? :psyduck:)

I've also tried going Cold Turkey, and made it five days, but every morning, I'd wake up craving a fag. The rest of the day was manageable, but for the first two hours of the day, I'd feel (and do still, if I don't have a fag) poo poo. That's the hardest thing, the first morning fag.

Anyone who has successfully quit have any advice that works in real life? (That NHS quit smoking pack they gave out last year, the only good thing was that my daughter likes playing with the weird fiddly thing they gave you)

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

EnsGDT posted:

I quit three days ago with the gum. And Mad Men just hit Netflix instant. And it's a really tough combination. But I'm doin it, barely haha.

I have season 4 on DVD. It keeps calling me to watch it. But...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

blackmet posted:

I have season 4 on DVD. It keeps calling me to watch it. But...

Might have to go back to Camelot for a little bit, at least they have the common decency to only drink.

• Locked thread