Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Shaw might be evil and all, but really fast internet for $23/mo when your other options are on the order of $60+/mo is basically impossible to pass up. Do you know if they have any deals on the new, faster plans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

ZShakespeare posted:

How accurate are the cable plans on teksaavy's site? It's time for me to renew with Shaw for my student plan and they are offering me 25Mbit down for $23/mo. I'd like to give my money to the little guy, but not if it's going to cost me more than twice as much to take a hit in speed.

I'm paying for 15mbit, but I've never cracked 10 on speedtest.net.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Teksavvy uses the same line as shaw so the speeds should be identical in theory.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

ZShakespeare posted:

How accurate are the cable plans on teksaavy's site? It's time for me to renew with Shaw for my student plan and they are offering me 25Mbit down for $23/mo. I'd like to give my money to the little guy, but not if it's going to cost me more than twice as much to take a hit in speed.

I have tekksavvys 25/2.5 unlimited plan right now in surrey, and i'm getting 90-95% most of the time.

Shaws new plans aren't out till next months they are still not 100% on prices.

But they will take 3+ weeks to gently caress around and maybe get someone to your house to do the install, and they will give you a shitbox of an old modem that can only do 25mbit as its theoretical maximum.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Squibbles posted:

Teksavvy uses the same line as shaw so the speeds should be identical in theory.

Speeds should be the same but it is limited by how much capacity Teksavvy puts at your POI. They've been having some saturation problems at the Toronto area POIs lately and are pretty much adding capacity as fast as possible due to unprecedented demand for cable.

I'm personally on the dusty, lonely Woodstock, ON POI and my speeds are incredible. Speedboosts to 60Mbit are not uncommon.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Sprawl posted:

I have tekksavvys 25/2.5 unlimited plan right now in surrey, and i'm getting 90-95% most of the time.

Ahh, that plan isn't on their website. Maybe I'll fire off an email and see if they'll match Shaw's offer.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Is it ever worth it to just buy your own modem? Like not through your ISP, off NCIX or something?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

ZShakespeare posted:

Ahh, that plan isn't on their website. Maybe I'll fire off an email and see if they'll match Shaw's offer.

Make sure to change your province in the top right corner of the teksavvy page. Otherwise you are looking at the Ontario plans.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Tagra posted:

Is it ever worth it to just buy your own modem? Like not through your ISP, off NCIX or something?

Ah in bc it currently is because you can only use old dociss 2.0 modems right now. But if your going to buy a dociss 3.0 modem no its not worth it as they give you a discount of upto $20 to buy one from them.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Just got Optik installed:

And that's over wireless. :toot: I kinda wish there were smaller ISPs around here, but considering the fact that there's a multi month waitlist for shaw in my neighborhood (with 20 year old infrastructure) and we only got this because we're existing telus customers I'm not complaining.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Captain Novolin posted:

Just got Optik installed:

And that's over wireless. :toot: I kinda wish there were smaller ISPs around here, but considering the fact that there's a multi month waitlist for shaw in my neighborhood (with 20 year old infrastructure) and we only got this because we're existing telus customers I'm not complaining.

Yea the telus optik stuff is solid because all that bandwidth is reserved for your tv anyways so you always get full speed but when shaws rolls out those actually high speed plans it will be nice.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.

Captain Novolin posted:

I live in Winnipeg and maybe it is some sort of installer shangrila but are there honestly multi-month waiting lists? When we first moved in we called MTS 2 days before and they were there on day one, later when we switched to shaw it was next day. The longest we have ever had to wait for a service call is 2 days unless service was out altogether and then it was same day. I can't imagine either ISP taking that long, but perhaps it is because we still have a provider choice that they hustle the way they do. I feel badly when I read some of these delay/horror stories.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Space Cadet posted:

I live in Winnipeg and maybe it is some sort of installer shangrila but are there honestly multi-month waiting lists? When we first moved in we called MTS 2 days before and they were there on day one, later when we switched to shaw it was next day. The longest we have ever had to wait for a service call is 2 days unless service was out altogether and then it was same day. I can't imagine either ISP taking that long, but perhaps it is because we still have a provider choice that they hustle the way they do. I feel badly when I read some of these delay/horror stories.

Yeah I dunno what the hell, I have never had to wait for an installer at all, I book about a week in advance and I get them there on move-in day... I have to rush to get there before them, even.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Space Cadet posted:

Shaw has always been next day but I had to wait 2+ weeks in November for MTS.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
It's mainly where I live, there's a waiting list just for this specific area because everyone is so far behind. The only reason we were able to get telus in a reasonable amount of time was because it was an upgrade of an existing account. If we'd have closed it and opened a new one it would be months, at least. Hell, 3 or 4 years ago we went to upgrade our internet to 5mbit and we couldn't because the lines didn't support it yet.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
So Rogers upped their speeds and download caps. Don't get too excited though:
For extreme plus package (the one I checked), from 25Mbps and 125GB to 32Mbps and 150GB. Whoopdeedoo... fantastic.

I guess it's better than nothing, still a far cry from the Shaw ones.
And still employ their buggy throttling and packet inspection program. Amazing company.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 27, 2011

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

As a side benefit TPIA cable customers (such as Teksavvy) are getting the speed boosts for free and we keep our giant caps for now. My 15/1 is hopefully turning into 24/1. Still hilariously slow upload but I'll take a free speed increase any day.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Somehow, this image makes caps look like an extremely rediculous thing.(the green line being the "cap")

quote:

So Rogers upped their speeds and download caps. Don't get too excited though:
For extreme plus package (the one I checked), from 25Mbps and 125GB to 32Mbps and 150GB. Whoopdeedoo... fantastic.

I guess it's better than nothing, still a far cry from the Shaw ones.
And still employ their buggy throttling and packet inspection program. Amazing company.

Stay strong, eastern brother.

The duopolies are like a perfect storm of anti-capitalism. For the most part, Bell ONLY competes with Rogers, and telus ONLY competes with Shaw.

Because of shaw's high limits, telus can't be too strict with caps. Because of bell's low limits, rogers has a blank check for wallet rape. If there was any serious regional overlap, the free market effect would actually improve things. as it stands, westerners will have an easy ride with telus/shaw, and easterners will get nailed to the wall by rogers/bell.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
If you talk to someone who isn't sure about switching, this article from yesterday would be fantastic to help convince them not to go with Bell or Rogers: http://www.thestar.com/article/1030941--roseman-this-telecom-firm-keeps-service-at-home

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I am moving house in Ottawa and not sure what Internet to get (not fussed about TV or home phone), what is my best bet?

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

If you talk to someone who isn't sure about switching, this article from yesterday would be fantastic to help convince them not to go with Bell or Rogers: http://www.thestar.com/article/1030941--roseman-this-telecom-firm-keeps-service-at-home

Teksavvy has so many issues outside of being incompetent and not having tech thats it not even worth bothering.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Sprawl posted:

Teksavvy has so many issues outside of being incompetent and not having tech thats it not even worth bothering.

I love how you have one bad experience and you write off the whole company. Cool!!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Yeah, Teksavvy is the best internet I've ever had, hands down. Whereas my time with Bell and Rogers were nothing but headaches, excessive prices, and lovely service (also throttling).

I seriously had to call Bell 6 or 7 times to get my billing sorted out when I cancelled with them. Each time, they found a way to mess it up in a completely new way, assuring me that this time, it was dealt with, but not giving me any written confirmation of that (despite promising to email it to me). I was so glad to go from their crummy service that dropped several times a day and came nowhere near advertised speeds, to getting faster download speeds than I'd ever had before with TekSavvy.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 28, 2011

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Sprawl posted:

I'm going to agree with others...you are being kind of a dick.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Sprawl posted:

:frogout:

Anyway, LR, any idea when that 24/7 plan will be coming up? I don't think it'll be available in Winnipeg, but I'd still like to know.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
I keep seeing ads for Shaw internet in Hamilton, have they expanded out now? (this isn't Shaw Hamilton/Shaw Cable I think)

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

StealthArcher posted:

Anyway, LR, any idea when that 24/7 plan will be coming up? I don't think it'll be available in Winnipeg, but I'd still like to know.

Not a clue. The only reason I knew early about TekTalk was because I was asked to help work on the FAQ. The new speeds kind of jumped up on everyone and when I found out about it, our TSR's only found out a few days prior. TekSavvy loves to surprise everyone and loves small launches so they can work out the bugs before everyone else learns about it.

Like I said, in a few weeks I'll be switching departments to CSR so when I'm working customer service, I'll probably know a little more when that stuff comes out.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

justlikedunkirk posted:

I keep seeing ads for Shaw internet in Hamilton, have they expanded out now? (this isn't Shaw Hamilton/Shaw Cable I think)

They bought Mountain Cable about 2 years ago. I used to work there until recently. Odd that they advertise in the Cogeco part or the city too. Guess they didn't get to choose all the billboard locations.

E: Tech support is hiring there right now :v:

Yeast Confection fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 28, 2011

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Sprawl posted:

They really are hamstrung by having to work with Bell and Rogers.

For example Rogers just accidentally pushed out a firmware update to most Teksavvy customers with a SB6120 cable modem. Not just any firmware update though, a three year old firmware that even Motorola has said under no circumstances should be used anymore. This firmware is so broken that peoples modems immediately started regularly rebooting every 15-30 minutes.

So Rogers comes back and sends out a "fix" firmware, which is the latest, to "all" of the affected modems and declares the problem solved. However its immediately apparent that not all the customers got the fixed firmware, and now they're chasing Rogers down on a case by case basis with MAC addresses of affected modems to get them updated.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

8ender posted:

They really are hamstrung by having to work with Bell and Rogers.

For example Rogers just accidentally pushed out a firmware update to most Teksavvy customers with a SB6120 cable modem. Not just any firmware update though, a three year old firmware that even Motorola has said under no circumstances should be used anymore. This firmware is so broken that peoples modems immediately started regularly rebooting every 15-30 minutes.

So Rogers comes back and sends out a "fix" firmware, which is the latest, to "all" of the affected modems and declares the problem solved. However its immediately apparent that not all the customers got the fixed firmware, and now they're chasing Rogers down on a case by case basis with MAC addresses of affected modems to get them updated.

Yes because its normal for a new install to take 3 weeks from the time you order to get it installed.

Yes because its normal to be charged ~$300 before you even get an install.

The way the company does things is not normal, most isp's dont pre-bill and on that stance alone its enough to not bother. But you also have to buy your own modem and wire you building yourself among other things. Telus and shaw here will both send and installer and they will do things like convert phone jacks to rj-45 so you can have a nice home network.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Sprawl posted:

Yes because its normal for a new install to take 3 weeks from the time you order to get it installed.

The way the company does things is not normal, most isp's dont pre-bill and on that stance alone its enough to not bother. But you also have to buy your own modem and wire you building yourself among other things. Telus and shaw here will both send and installer and they will do things like convert phone jacks to rj-45 so you can have a nice home network.

Personally, I agree with you. But you know the kicker here?: they, apparently (after getting over this install bullshit), are better than Rogers and Bell at providing the service you're paying for.
It may or may not be their fault for doing what they do to get the service installed, would still leave a bad taste for anyone.
That's the competition in the True North, strong and free. And regrettably we need a governmental institution and/or the government itself to intervene and set the rules to be fair for everyone and encourage competition.
And that just doesn't seem to happen (I'm curious too what CRTC will decide next, but i wouldn't get my hopes up).

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Sprawl posted:

All of these things are caused by Bell/Rogers. TekSavvy's hands are tied. What you are "pre-billed" for are basically setup fees. I would rather buy my modem then "rent" it from Bell/Rogers because now I'm just paying an additional fee. If you knew they pre-bill and are against it, why did you continue to sign up?

I know personally that TS will send out a tech if possible and will do everything to help you get connected, even if that means talking you though setting up the wiring.

Yes the others came out and do that for you, because they are bigger and have the manpower to do so. TS is small and can't do it for everyone.

I also challenge you to call Bell/Rogers/Whoever support and ask them something technical like, "can I have the IP of your primary and secondary DNS servers". I'll tell you what answer you'll get because I've done this test. You will be on hold for 30 minutes, get hung up on, or argue with someone who says that DNS is a "unix thing" and not needed.

TS can answer the question in 30 seconds.

You had a bad experience. It happens and I'm sorry for that. But to start to call people "incompetent" for something out of their control is an rear end in a top hat thing to do.

The points you are arguing are the exact reason of this thread. Big ISPs are going out of their way to make it difficult to resellers. You my friend are drinking their Kool-Aid.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Bonzo posted:

The points you are arguing are the exact reason of this thread. Big ISPs are going out of their way to make it difficult to resellers. You my friend are drinking their Kool-Aid.

This can't be stated enough. I was lucky enough to be able to do a paper for school on the regulation of the ISP market, and it's amazing the degree to which the current setup lets the incumbents keep resellers from competing with them in any meaningful way - not just in the obvious ways such as speed-matching and UBB, but in little behind-the-scenes ways like network interconnection and installation complications.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

justlikedunkirk posted:

I saw a bunch of Shaw trucks in my area in Ancaster, but I'm not sure if that was a coincidence or not. I made a mental note to check it out because I'd love for there to be some competition to Cogeco, but I completely forgot to follow up. Thanks for reminding me!

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Sprawl posted:

The way the company does things is not normal, most isp's dont pre-bill and on that stance alone its enough to not bother.
Feel free to point me to a single reseller that doesn't pre-bill. Out of the 23 options I have in my area, every single one pre-bills. Because they are forced to pay the big ISP's upfront as well.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sprawl posted:

This is why you need to get educated about the piss poor state of Canada's telecom industry and get angry at the CRTC for allowing the big 3 to have such a strangle hold on the market.

Otherwise feel free to go ride whichever big 3 cock you feel like ;)

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
So under Rogers I've been paying roughly $57/mo for 10mbps@60gb. Now I find out I can get 10mbps@300gb under teksavvy for $37? Why the gently caress haven't I switched sooner? Am I some kind of moron?

I haven't been keeping up with the CRTC rulings, but I've heard rumours that some of the decisions the CRTC is making will make it difficult for teksavvy to stay at this price and cap for long. Is there any truth to this?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I may have just convinced my parents to switch from their lovely Bell internet... it's been dropping constantly, and I just showed them that they are regularly getting 3 mbps and change on speedtest.net, while paying in a price range that should get them 16-25 mbps. Bell is the worst.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Vergeh posted:

So under Rogers I've been paying roughly $57/mo for 10mbps@60gb. Now I find out I can get 10mbps@300gb under teksavvy for $37? Why the gently caress haven't I switched sooner? Am I some kind of moron?

I haven't been keeping up with the CRTC rulings, but I've heard rumours that some of the decisions the CRTC is making will make it difficult for teksavvy to stay at this price and cap for long. Is there any truth to this?

Ah depends on what happens with the ubb ruling but its looking like it wont pass from the last few meetings.

Now that teksavvy finally got to installing it it seems to be a decent enough connection 25/2.5 unlimited for $55 isn't too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Sprawl posted:

Ah depends on what happens with the ubb ruling but its looking like it wont pass from the last few meetings.

Now that teksavvy finally got to installing it it seems to be a decent enough connection 25/2.5 unlimited for $55 isn't too bad.

I would kill for you're upload. I'm on a 15/1 and we're reguarlly getting 30~, but we never get much more upload :(