Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

wafflesnsegways posted:

Yup. I think it's buried in some application package somewhere, but I can still right-click on a file and open it with Quicktime 7.

Hrm, any ideas where it is? I remain addicted to Quicktime Pro.

e: interesting

1) go to http://www.nasa.gov/qtl/151335main_NASA_TV_QT.qtl
2) double click the downloaded file
3) you will be prompted to install QT7 via Software Update
4) yay!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

flyboi posted:

IIRC you need MacFUSE for that. You gotta troll around on Google and find some beta build that someone made because the one on Google Code is ancient as gently caress and doesn't work. If you look in your Console you should see an error message every time you try to use sshfs. Google the error and the beta build should pop up.

Thanks. I should have looked at the console before and realised it was a problem with MacFUSE as opposed to sshfs.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Can't believe they removed copy + paste and hex colour picking from DigitalColor Meter. Why would they ruin something that was perfect?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is anyone with Logitech Control Centre finding that it makes TF2 unplayable?

All of a sudden I can't click on anything in the TF2 UI reliably. Sometimes I can't click on buttons the first time and it takes a few hits, or other times it looks like it's clicking somewhere not even remotely where I intended to click.

I can't seem to select the hl2_osx executable to exclude it from LCC control either. Really weird :(

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Martytoof posted:

Is anyone with Logitech Control Centre finding that it makes TF2 unplayable?

I'm curious, what's this for? At first I was thinking G15 keyboard type support but a quick google and it's talking about webcams and stuff. edit: ohh will this help support the MX510 extended features and stuff? That'd be handy.

Also after using Lion on my MBP and then on an iMac with a magic mouse, I really want to get a trackpad for the iMac now. Once you get the hang of the gestures they're just so handy and the mouse is pretty limited in comparison. Is the apple one the only choice or are there worthy competitors?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

priznat posted:

I'm curious, what's this for? At first I was thinking G15 keyboard type support but a quick google and it's talking about webcams and stuff.

It's to enable all the 300 buttons on my Logitech Rev MX. I don't think it actually has anything to do with webcams but I could be wrong.

e: Also, I downloaded this, told it to "help" the TF2 app, then I could select it in LCC and it seemed to magically not suck anymore. I don't know what it's doing behind the scenes.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Martytoof posted:

It's to enable all the 300 buttons on my Logitech Rev MX. I don't think it actually has anything to do with webcams but I could be wrong.

Ah yeah I did a little more looking and the google results I saw were some conflicts it was having with the webcams.

Hopefully they sort it out because I'd like to put that on there to support my MX510 and I could even dig out my G15 from my PC-days.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Petey posted:

Actually it didn't. At least not immediately. I had to click that and then restart in order for it to take effect but I think it has.

You can also toggle it per application by ctrl-clicking in a text box, selecting "Spelling and Grammar", and choosing the desired option there.

plainclothes goth
Jul 15, 2001
I was like "full-screen apps? Pffffff," but I'm working on this huge stupid spreadsheet for work and it's really working pretty well for me.

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!

Petey posted:

Does Quicktime Player 7 still exist / work in Lion?

There is a post on MacWorld that details how to get Quicktime 7 Pro working with Lion.
http://www.macworld.com/article/161320/2011/07/lion_quicktime7.html#lsrc.rss_main

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Hardflip posted:

Can't believe they removed copy + paste and hex colour picking from DigitalColor Meter. Why would they ruin something that was perfect?

I was surprisingly happy with Lion until you pointed this out. Why would they do that? gently caress.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

passionate dongs posted:

I was surprisingly happy with Lion until you pointed this out. Why would they do that? gently caress.
http://www.panic.com/~wade/picker/

I've been using this for almost a year now. Much better.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

unruly posted:

God drat I love Panic.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

unruly posted:

This is neat but doesn't do exactly what I need. :sigh: If Apple doesn't fix this I'm sure there will be something up in the app store soon.

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005
So I don't think I've missed a post where someone else resolved this issue but, does anyone know how to reverse back and forward gestures to make them "natural" as well? I know I can make left/right 2 finger swipe in BTT do 3 finger left/right reversed, but I can't find a way to make 3 finger swipe right go back and 3 finger swipe left go forward :\

Any suggestions?

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008
Here's a fix to our biggest gripe about Launchpad.

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/07/25/lion-deleting-apps-in-launchpad-and-starting-clean/

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Blah... just found two big Application which don't work for me for screen sharing. Both the Chax pluging for iChat to auto accept screen sharing, and LogMeIn shows a black screen when logging in with the iPhone/iPad app for the web client thing.

Oh well, I'm sure both of them will be updated in time, but I'm surprised everything else I own has worked so far.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Astro7x posted:

Blah... just found two big Application which don't work for me for screen sharing. Both the Chax pluging for iChat to auto accept screen sharing, and LogMeIn shows a black screen when logging in with the iPhone/iPad app for the web client thing.

Oh well, I'm sure both of them will be updated in time, but I'm surprised everything else I own has worked so far.

Logmein has been updated, launch it and manually run the updater.

As for chax, the author posted a note on his site that he's working on the plugin for Lion.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I know someone linked to the page about automator web pop-ups.

This page has a lot more detail about new features in Lion for scripting/automator:

http://www.macosxautomation.com/lion/

The section on the pop-up also shows how to use it to pass selected text as a service so you can make a wikipedia pop-up from it. Also a nice one that shows how to make a re-encoding script.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Is there someplace to add to the autocomplete dictionary? I don't mind it, but I hate how it fights me over SA smileys.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Doctor Zero posted:

Is there someplace to add to the autocomplete dictionary? I don't mind it, but I hate how it fights me over SA smileys.

Same way as in Snow Leopard: right-click the word, select Learn Spelling.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Oh look what showed up in Software Update just now..

Apple posted:

The Mac OS X 10.6.8 Supplemental Update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and resolves issues with:

Transferring personal data, settings, and compatible applications from a Mac running Mac OS X Snow Leopard to a new Mac running Mac OS X Lion

Certain network printers that pause print jobs immediately and fail to complete

System audio that stops working when using HDMI or optical audio out

The last two are known showstoppers that I'm glad they finally loving fixed.

For all of you still on Snow Leopard, get it here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1430

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Terpfen posted:

Same way as in Snow Leopard: right-click the word, select Learn Spelling.

Holy poo poo, I feel really dumb. :doh:

e: In my defense it's kind of a PITA to do it on the iPad.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I decided that it's time I learned to program in Objective C. Of course, Xcode 4 is fairly new, and all the guides I found use 3.2. No problem, I thought, and proceeded to download and install it. I open up /Developers and… no Xcode app. In fact, the folders are mostly empty.

Ok, no problem, I'll just uninstall and reinstall it. There's even an easy one-line terminal command to uninstall it: sudo /Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools –mode=all. Except uninstall-devtools isn't anywhere in that folder. Or on my hard drive anywhere. I tried installing 3.2 again without removing it, thinking that maybe OS X would be smart enough to install the files I was missing, but that didn't help.

So how to I remove Xcode? And will reinstalling it even work on Lion?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Doesn't 3.2 not actually work with Lion? That might be a problem.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

lelandjs posted:

So I decided that it's time I learned to program in Objective C. Of course, Xcode 4 is fairly new, and all the guides I found use 3.2. No problem, I thought, and proceeded to download and install it. I open up /Developers and… no Xcode app. In fact, the folders are mostly empty.

Ok, no problem, I'll just uninstall and reinstall it. There's even an easy one-line terminal command to uninstall it: sudo /Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools –mode=all. Except uninstall-devtools isn't anywhere in that folder. Or on my hard drive anywhere. I tried installing 3.2 again without removing it, thinking that maybe OS X would be smart enough to install the files I was missing, but that didn't help.

So how to I remove Xcode? And will reinstalling it even work on Lion?

Umm, did you not think to try looking in /Developer/Applications to find Xcode before doing all this wacky stuff? If you downloaded Xcode 4 through the app store it would be in your dock or launchpad anyways.

I doubt 3.2 will work with Lion. I don't really know what the best way to undo all the stuff you did is, you can probably get away with trashing the /Developer folder. If you got Xcode through the app store, you should have an app called Install Xcode or whatever inside /Applications that you can run. Otherwise just redownload that through the app store.

edit: Oh I see, you were trying to install 3.2 from the beginning. That's your problem -- it probably just doesn't work with Lion. Just get Xcode 4, it shouldn't be too hard to translate most of what you find on Xcode 3 to 4. If you get stuck, Apple's documentation is pretty good and should be up to date.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

wdarkk posted:

Doesn't 3.2 not actually work with Lion? That might be a problem.
Yeah I'm thinking that might be the issue. So how do I remove it? Or will installing Xcode 4 over it upgrade it?

I would just delete /Developer but doesn't Xcode scatter little bits over the OS?

Gordon Cole posted:

Umm, did you not think to try looking in /Developer/Applications to find Xcode before doing all this wacky stuff? If you downloaded Xcode 4 through the app store it would be in your dock or launchpad anyways.

I doubt 3.2 will work with Lion. I don't really know what the best way to undo all the stuff you did is, you can probably get away with trashing the /Developer folder. If you got Xcode through the app store, you should have an app called Install Xcode or whatever inside /Applications that you can run. Otherwise just redownload that through the app store.

edit: Oh I see, you were trying to install 3.2 from the beginning. That's your problem -- it probably just doesn't work with Lion. Just get Xcode 4, it shouldn't be too hard to translate most of what you find on Xcode 3 to 4. If you get stuck, Apple's documentation is pretty good and should be up to date.
I didn't install 4, I installed 3.2 from the .dmg I downloaded from the Dev center. I guess I should have assumed that it wouldn't work with Lion, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 25, 2011

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

lelandjs posted:

Yeah I'm thinking that might be the issue. So how do I remove it? Or will installing Xcode 4 over it upgrade it?

I believe when I installed Xcode 4, it told me that it detected an old version of Xcode and it moved it to something like /Developer_old as a backup. I would just go ahead and try to install 4.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

lelandjs posted:

Yeah I'm thinking that might be the issue. So how do I remove it?

This is how I've always done it:

http://macdevelopertips.com/xcode/how-to-uninstall-xcode.html

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I tried that. uninstall-devtools isn't in my /Developer folder, or anywhere on my hard drive.

Oh well, another three hours until Xcode 4 is done downloading. :smith:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I saw the safari 5.1 update on snow leopard claiming a resume feature but it seems nowhere to be found :smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cool little hack to enable 10.7 fullscreening in any application that doesn't yet support it. Just enabled it in Lightroom, have to say it's pretty awesome.

YMMV obviously, and make backups/only work on copies of apps for the love of god.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Cool little hack to enable 10.7 fullscreening in any application that doesn't yet support it. Just enabled it in Lightroom, have to say it's pretty awesome.

YMMV obviously, and make backups/only work on copies of apps for the love of god.

Or you can just use Maximizer by iPhone hacker chpwn which works in all apps and requires no permanent fuckery.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Has anyone run into an issue where you can't delete applications by dragging them to the trash can? I had to go into the Applications folder in Finder and do a right-click -> delete to get rid of them.

Also, is there a good eBook reader that supports OPDS catalogs? Stanza doesn't support it yet, and Calibre is kind of a big, slow mess.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 26, 2011

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vertigus posted:

Has anyone run into an issue where you can't delete applications by dragging them to the trash can? I had to go into the Applications folder in Finder and do a right-click -> delete to get rid of them.
I was actually having issues with this in Snow Leopard, too. I think if an installer program put them in the folder, the user can't drag it to the trash or CMD+delete it without an administrative password.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

lelandjs posted:

I was actually having issues with this in Snow Leopard, too. I think if an installer program put them in the folder, the user can't drag it to the trash or CMD+delete it without an administrative password.

That's kind of strange, because one of them was Stanza and I know it didn't use an installer program.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
Anyone having the immediately pausing network printer issue with Lion? My co-worker and I can't print to our network printers anymore, with the error:

D [25/Jul/2011:16:11:38 -0400] [Job 3] Backend returned status 1 (failed)
D [25/Jul/2011:16:11:38 -0400] [Job 3] Printer stopped due to backend errors; please consult the error_log file for details.
D [25/Jul/2011:16:11:38 -0400] [Job 3] End of messages
D [25/Jul/2011:16:11:38 -0400] [Job 3] printer-state=5(stopped)
D [25/Jul/2011:16:11:38 -0400] [Job 3] printer-state-message="Unable to connect to server"

in Cups' error_log. I've tried re-adding the printers, and resetting the printer system.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
For the record, Xcode 3.2.5 works fine in Lion.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Turns out my MBP external screen hang issue is probably hardware-related, because it only happens when the laptop is connected to power, and I can find hardly any other reports of it happening.

Unfortunately, this machine is 2 months out of warranty. Booked an appointment at the fruit stand on Sunday. I'm guessing the only fix is logic board replacement :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

passionate dongs posted:

For the record, Xcode 3.2.5 works fine in Lion.
Did you install it on Lion or Snow Leopard?