Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilted Yaksman
Sep 25, 2003

One Swell Foop posted:

I just played a round of TF2 at full resolution, it had some framerate issues but it was playable enough.

E: vvv It's the new 13" 256GB i5.
What graphics setting was this on? And what framerate do you get? I'm thinking about getting a new 13" and I'm trying to decide between the new MBA, or waiting to see if the 13" MBP gets better graphics in the next refresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Kilted Yaksman posted:

What graphics setting was this on? And what framerate do you get? I'm thinking about getting a new 13" and I'm trying to decide between the new MBA, or waiting to see if the 13" MBP gets better graphics in the next refresh.

I seriously doubt that we'll be seeing anything else than Intel IGPs on the lower end Macbooks for the foreseable future...

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

shodanjr_gr posted:

I seriously doubt that we'll be seeing anything else than Intel IGPs on the lower end Macbooks for the foreseable future...

I'd actually bet there is no 13" MBP in the next refresh.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

maduin posted:

I like how as soon as the whitebook gets axed, the "will it die?" speculation immediately shifts to the 13" MBP. :v:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Space Racist posted:

I like how as soon as the whitebook gets axed, the "will it die?" speculation immediately shifts to the 13" MBP. :v:

Sort of how the "will it die" speculation switched from the Xserve to the Pro.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

maduin posted:

No way. Too much margin for Apple in commodity HD and RAM.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Space Racist posted:

It's pretty fair. The differentiators between the 13" MBP and the 13" MBA are the optical drive and storage. The MBA might actually be faster for most things due to the SSD. Product line-wise the stock MBP doesn't make much sense any more...

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

shodanjr_gr posted:

It's pretty fair. The differentiators between the 13" MBP and the 13" MBA are the optical drive and storage. The MBA might actually be faster for most things due to the SSD. Product line-wise the stock MBP doesn't make much sense any more...
You also forget the MBP has an ethernet port and firewire (although I expect FW to go bye-byes with the next refresh if the new Apple Cinema Displays are anything to go by). I much prefer my 13" MBP over an Air, from both an upgradeability point of view as well as having an ethernet port in it, which is great for work.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
Any opinions on the 13" vs 11" Air?

I bought the base model 13" but for the same cost I can get an 11" with the 1.8Ghz i7. That combined with the faster SSD in the 11s (the benchmarks I've seen show a 25% increase in read speed for the Samsung SSD) it seems that the 11" could see some not-insignificant performance increase over the base 13. The extra portability is a big plus, however I enjoy the extra resolution on the 13 and the bigger battery. I imagine most of the time I'm at home, though, I'll be plugged into an external monitor so I'm unsure about the benefit of the bigger screen is kinda lost at that point. Decisions decisions.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

You Am I posted:

You also forget the MBP has an ethernet port and firewire (although I expect FW to go bye-byes with the next refresh if the new Apple Cinema Displays are anything to go by). I much prefer my 13" MBP over an Air, from both an upgradeability point of view as well as having an ethernet port in it, which is great for work.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer the MBP too. I just don't see the small differences in connectivity being a major differentiator (Apple can always say "screw it" and bundle some sort of dongle with Air that provides ethernet connectivity. Besides, most consumers don't really care about that).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

11" is too small. I mean if you're looking for something that size any cheap netbook should be able to handle whatever you wanted. The 11" MBA is overpowered/priced for its intended use IMO. On the other hand the 13" can practically replace your desktop and be your sole computer. 3 pounds isn't much at all and the extra resolution and battery make it a no-brainer.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

jfreder posted:

Any opinions on the 13" vs 11" Air?

I bought the base model 13" but for the same cost I can get an 11" with the 1.8Ghz i7. That combined with the faster SSD in the 11s (the benchmarks I've seen show a 25% increase in read speed for the Samsung SSD) it seems that the 11" could see some not-insignificant performance increase over the base 13. The extra portability is a big plus, however I enjoy the extra resolution on the 13 and the bigger battery. I imagine most of the time I'm at home, though, I'll be plugged into an external monitor so I'm unsure about the benefit of the bigger screen is kinda lost at that point. Decisions decisions.

I think you should absolutely get the 13". 1440x900 @ 13" is usable, 1280x800 @ 11" gets too close to your run-of-the-mill netbook.

Personally I'd get the 13" 128GB MBA, no upgrades. That fucker already meets or exceeds the performance of my 2010 2.66GHz i5 MBP.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mu Zeta posted:

I mean if you're looking for something that size any cheap netbook should be able to handle whatever you wanted. The 11" MBA is overpowered/priced for its intended use IMO.

The 11" is way, way more powerful than a regular netbook. The screen resolution is very, very low though. It's like chopping the bottom inch of screen off of a 13" MBP.

The bonus is that the keyboard is the same size, which is a huge fault of most netbooks (save the Thinkpads).

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Crossposted from Mac Software Megathread, as it seems like a hardware issue now...

------

Anyone else have issues with external displays not working on MBP after upgrading to Lion?

I have a 13" MBP (mid-2010) and if I connect an external display, the whole system slowly locks up over the period of about 5 seconds, but only if power is connected

I can keep dragging windows around for a bit, but eventually it stops responding altogether and I have to reboot.

Tried a different MiniDP-DVI adapter but had the same problem. Blew into the DP port in case there was crud in there, and wiggled the cable around. Also tried an old DVI cinema display, but same problem.

If I leave it on battery power, the external display works fine.

The machine is now 2 months out of warranty. I've booked an appointment at the local fruit stand. What are my chances of Apple doing anything for me? I'm guessing the only way to fix it would be logic board replacement, and that sounds expensive.

I was planning on playing dumb and saying "Lion broke it :'(". Would doing something like that work in my favour? I really, really hope I don't have to buy a new machine now :(

Kilted Yaksman
Sep 25, 2003

shodanjr_gr posted:

I'm afraid you might be right. I used to have a 15" powerbook, and always preferred the size of my girlfriend's 13" macbook. A 13" with discrete graphics and an optibay kit would be my dream machine...

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

movax posted:

I think you should absolutely get the 13". 1440x900 @ 13" is usable, 1280x800 @ 11" gets too close to your run-of-the-mill netbook.

Personally I'd get the 13" 128GB MBA, no upgrades. That fucker already meets or exceeds the performance of my 2010 2.66GHz i5 MBP.

That's exactly my thoughts, and what I ended up doing. I looked at the 11", but there was no way I was getting the $999 one, because 64GB is not nearly enough (that's double my iPhone, and there's not much on that little fucker), and the 2 inches of screen is well worth the $100 it costs over the upper-end 11".

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

movax posted:

The 11" is 1366x768, just like any other netbook and personally I don't think you'd want anything higher at such a small screen size.

IMO its the 13 and 15" MBP that are looking really weak as far as resolution goes, the 15" especially is so close to being a desktop replacement in most other regards.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I've got to disagree with the hate on the 11". I just bought my wife the new 11" 128 GB 4GB and this thing is great. It is like a folded up iPad and handles absolutely anything she throws at it. She and I both find it exactly the right fit for her.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

jfreder posted:

That combined with the faster SSD in the 11s (the benchmarks I've seen show a 25% increase in read speed for the Samsung SSD)
Note that you'll likely never notice the difference, and isn't the Toshiba/Samsung SSD selection a luck of the draw?

dissss posted:

The 11" is 1366x768, just like any other netbook and personally I don't think you'd want anything higher at such a small screen size.

IMO its the 13 and 15" MBP that are looking really weak as far as resolution goes, the 15" especially is so close to being a desktop replacement in most other regards.
My old netbook is 1024x600 :suicide:

And the 13" MBP could get some Mac mini like treatment: kill the optical and stick a (cheap low end) discrete GPU in the higher end model, hopefully increase battery capacity with that extra space too.

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010
Are there any benchmarks out for the new lower end mac mini? I am wondering how the intel HD 3000 would handle Left 4 Dead 2 and TF2 with 8GB of ram.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

You Am I posted:

Thunderbolt is going to replace FW and ethernet on all Apple portables at the next refresh, and the optical drive will go as well. The 13" Pro goes away while the 15" and 17" become airs. Book it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Thunderbolt is going to replace FW and ethernet on all Apple portables at the next refresh, and the optical drive will go as well. The 13" Pro goes away while the 15" and 17" become airs. Book it.

Plus retina displays everywhere!

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

While Apple still entertains the notion of catering to professionals (or Pro-sumers) I doubt that they would completely kill off discrete GPUs. Tons of professional software solutions (particularly in content creation) have been shifting to GPU acceleration.

However, I wouldn't mind at all a 4 pound 15" notebook with a discrete GPU with MBA thickness. Once you go over 11", I feel that portability is defined much more by weight and less by surface area.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Oh, no, I think they'll keep discrete GPU's in the 15 and 17. They obviously know it's important - they dropped the optical drive in the Mini in favor of a discrete video card.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Just going to throw it out there that a 13" MBP with no optical drive, discrete GPU, higher-res screen and user-serviceable HDD and RAM bay would own and also very much maintain justification for 'pro' classification.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Kilted Yaksman posted:

I'm getting a reasonably steady 30-60fps with these settings:

1440 x 900
Full Screen
Model Detail: Low
Texture Detail: Low
Shader Detail: Low
Water Detail: Simple Reflections
Shadow Detail: Low
Color Correction: Enabled
Antialiasing: None
Filtering Mode: Bilinear
Wait for Vertical Sync: Enabled
Motion Blur: Disabled
FOV: 90
Launch options: -high -heapsize 2097152

movax
Aug 30, 2008

dissss posted:

Ooops, yeah I guess that isn't terrible in the 11" size. I totally agree that the 13" and 15" have poo poo resolution options though (stock at least). I went for the high-res upgrade on my 15" MBP and it's pretty. I think 13" MBP ought to stock @ 1440x900 or at least offer an upgrade option to that resolution. And matte and glossy options! Are you listening Steve? Pretty please :( Do what you will with the GPUs and optical drives, just think about screens too!

e: while I'm dreaming might as well ask for IPS too :laffo:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

dissss posted:

I guess being 27 makes my eyes old as gently caress because if my high res display on my 15" were any higher I would most definitely not be able to read the text. Then again this is Something Awful where goons care more about numbers than usability of a computer.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

flyboi posted:

I guess being 27 makes my eyes old as gently caress because if my high res display on my 15" were any higher I would most definitely not be able to read the text. Then again this is Something Awful where goons care more about numbers than usability of a computer.

Any development work benefits from higher resolution monitors. IDEs take up a shitload of space and was one of the reasons why I enjoyed the upgrade from my old 2009 MBP's 1280x800 screen to my new MBA's 1400x900.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

flyboi posted:

Which is why ideally text size should be decoupled from resolution, then higher res panels would be good for everyone. Pity no one has really got that right yet.

If your vision is fairly good then a bump in resolution is single biggest usability improvement you can do to a modern computer system.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Thunderbolt is going to replace FW and ethernet on all Apple portables at the next refresh, and the optical drive will go as well.
While it makes sense to replace ieee1394 with thunderbolt for your high speed peripherals, I can't see how it makes any sense as an ethernet replacement.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
The 13 inch MBP could certainly disappear, but I'm really hoping it becomes something much more deserving of the name "Pro". Ditch the optical drive for a HDD/SDD combo, and put in a proper graphics chip like the new Mac Mini. It can be priced at a premium compared to the cheaper Air - perhaps $1500 or so for the base model.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

dissss posted:

Which is why ideally text size should be decoupled from resolution, then higher res panels would be good for everyone. Pity no one has really got that right yet.

If your vision is fairly good then a bump in resolution is single biggest usability improvement you can do to a modern computer system.

Ideally and realistically are two different things. The resolution on the 15" is fine, I can read it but I could not imagine a 1920x1200 panel as I would have to jack up the text size to even be able to read anything. My eyes aren't horrible, I wear glasses but the prescription is minimal and moot.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

flyboi posted:

Ideally and realistically are two different things. The resolution on the 15" is fine, I can read it but I could not imagine a 1920x1200 panel as I would have to jack up the text size to even be able to read anything. My eyes aren't horrible, I wear glasses but the prescription is minimal and moot.

I had a 15.4" laptop from work with a 1920x1200 panel (Dell Precision), and in retrospect, that resolution was only really good when I was coding/debugging on the go; back then (:corsair:) all I had was XP DPI scaling so just surfing the internet or something was somewhat stressful on my eyes.

I think 1680x1050 on 15" is a pretty sweet spot; both Windows 7 and OS X are usable and readable at that resolution without going cross-eyed. In the 13" arena, I saw a 1600x900 panel on some super-portable VAIO which I thought was pushing it a bit, but the 1440x900 panels at that size were pretty awesome.

Mr Chips posted:

While it makes sense to replace ieee1394 with thunderbolt for your high speed peripherals, I can't see how it makes any sense as an ethernet replacement.

When/if Thunderbolt ICs come down in price, we'll probably see a lot of "docking stations" crop up. Thunderbolt is essentially analogous to the docking connectors you'd find on the bottom of Lattitudes; you can throw any PCI Express device on the other side of the link, keeping in mind the x4 link to the Mac.

i.e:
GigE Controller / FW800 Controller / USB 3.0 controller / eSATA controller -> PCIe Switch -> Thunderbolt IC -> Cable -> MacBook

Should be able to make it for less than $150 or so.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Mr Chips posted:

I was thinking in more of a docking setup (see: Thunderbolt display.)

On the go you'd probably just go use a USB ethernet adapter if you can't use wireless. (But you'd just use wireless)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

flyboi posted:

1680x1050 @ 15.6" is the same as 1440x900 @ 13.3". IMO it should be the standard panel, not an extra cost option.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I was thinking in more of a docking setup (see: Thunderbolt display.)

On the go you'd probably just go use a USB ethernet adapter if you can't use wireless. (But you'd just use wireless)
Carrying around an extra piece of hardware that's slower than built in GbE is pretty regressive. I've got quite a few MBP users who don't use external monitors, so having to purchase a thunderbolt cable and docking station just to get GbE seems equally retarded, given how cheap ethernet connectivity is right now (and 'just use wireless' isn't going to work as well for 50% of my staff)

FWIW, we option our 15" MBPs with the 1680x1050 screens and people don't report reading difficulties.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I just got a "Service Battery" warning on my Macbook Pro 5,5.

I installed Coconut Battery and got this:

Anything I need to be worried about? I just ordered a 15" MBP for myself and this one is going to my brother. Just want to make sure it's not going to poo poo out on him halfway through his term.

EDIT: This is the first time I've seen this warning. It had just woken up after the battery drained all the way down (but didn't reboot when I plugged it back in).

angor fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 26, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mr Chips posted:

Carrying around an extra piece of hardware that's slower than built in GbE is pretty regressive. I've got quite a few MBP users who don't use external monitors, so having to purchase a thunderbolt cable and docking station just to get GbE seems equally retarded, given how cheap ethernet connectivity is right now (and 'just use wireless' isn't going to work as well for 50% of my staff)

There's the gig aftermarket adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I just thought of something.. If we get "retina" displays on Macs, that's going to make boot camping very difficult as Windows won't know anything about retina display modes and will treat it like a regular very high display. We'll need a magnifying glass to read the text!