Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Which is the best martial arts style? Which is the worst? Why is Taekwondo so disparaged amongst martial arts enthusiasts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
There is no answer to any of those questions in the context of combat sports. The original intent of the UFC was to figure out which was "the best", but as it turns out being excellent in one art isn't enough to be a great fighter. Great fighters are well rounded and train in all disciplines.

Taekwando is disparaged because it's seen as fake fighting, but not in the way pro wrestling is. It's more about scoring points than it is about trying to hurt and finish an opponent. Those things do happen, but with pads and emphasis on clean hits it doesn't really resemble an actual fight.

However, Taekwando can be a perfectly serviceable striking base if the person adapts it to an MMA context. Machida's base is Karate, but the same principle applies. He doesn't just fight with Karate, but rather uses it as his base and incorporates wrestling, judo, and jiujitsu into his style as well.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
gif of shogun doing that jumping spinning kick and almost getting countered by the most loaded up right hand of all time

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

niethan fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 21, 2011

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
hahaha

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Darth Windu posted:

Which is the best martial arts style? Which is the worst? Why is Taekwondo so disparaged amongst martial arts enthusiasts?

Assuming by best you mean best for fighting. Some people do Tai Chi or kung fu and don't give two shits for actually fighting, they just like the workout and personal development. In reality, we really shouldn't call those things martial arts, but they get lumped in anyway.

Here is a simple guide for combat sports:

Do they actively spar?

Are there competitions where you can go 100% against another resisting person?

If yes, then that martial art is at least good enough not be a scam or delusion. Now, the thing about this is that style is just a name, if you do Jiu-jitsu but never actually grapple against a resisting opponent, you're not really doing something useful. On the flip side, if you are doing Kyokusin karate then you are probably learning actual punching and kicking skills.

Tae Kwon Do and karate have a bad reputation because the majority of those schools claim to be combat effective, but are really just money grabs for delusional out of shape people and children.

TKD as a sport, as previously mentioned, also has a rule system that makes it less effective in full contact fighting, especially when you add in grappling. That doesn't mean it doesn't "work" it's a game or sport. Like how soccer players could score a lot more goals if they could pick up the ball.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 21, 2011

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Haraksha posted:

However, Taekwando can be a perfectly serviceable striking base if the person adapts it to an MMA context.

Well, theoretically maybe. I can't think of anyone who has managed to be even close to successful using striking even remotely similar to tkd

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Shogun used to open up fights with dumb flashy kicks :smug:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

Assuming by best you mean best for fighting. Some people do Tai Chi or kung fu and don't give two shits for actually fighting, they just like the workout and personal development. In reality, we really shouldn't call those things martial arts, but they get lumped in anyway.

Here is a simple guide for combat sports:

Do they actively spar?

Are there competitions where you can go 100% against another resisting person?

If yes, then that martial art is at least good enough not be a scam or delusion. Now, the thing about this is that style is just a name, if you do Jiu-jitsu but never actually grapple against a resisting opponent, you're not really doing something useful. On the flip side, if you are doing Kyokusin karate then you are probably learning actual punching and kicking skills.

Tae Kwon Do and karate have a bad reputation because the majority of those schools claim to be combat effective, but are really just money grabs for delusional out of shape people and children.

TKD as a sport, as previously mentioned, also has a rule system that makes it less effective in full contact fighting, especially when you add in grappling. That doesn't mean it doesn't "work" it's a game or sport. Like how soccer players could score a lot more goals if they could pick up the ball.

This is pretty much the best reason far too many "martial arts" want to teach people in what they call a controlled and safe setting which for some reason often means, no sparring and when in competitions heavily padded where light touches are encouraged when striking and hard hitting is actively warned against.

The best martial arts for MMA seem to be muai thai, boxing, kickboxing, brazillian jiu jitsu, wrestling and although not overly effective in a cage Judo. Also Shotokan, Kempo and Kyokushin seem to be well represented. The main thing through all of them is they all encourage active sparring and competition between students.

I've personally felt that people learning a psuedo martial art thinking it's going to be good for self defense is more dangerous than learning nothing at all for the reason that people who might get into a fight at a bar or walking home in a bad neighbourhood are more likely to shape up ready to rumble and get hurt than otherwise back down or run the gently caress away.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

Well, theoretically maybe. I can't think of anyone who has managed to be even close to successful using striking even remotely similar to tkd

I remember seeing a UFC highlight show where Siver dropped someone with a spinning back kick straight to the liver, and Rogan lost his mind. I think it was an undercard fight.

Found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqW-69C_9W8

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
While most Kung Fu consists of essoteric traditions, there are some sparring-heavy schools. San Shou is a sport/martial art with a curriculum derived from Kung Fu. Cung Le was quite successful in MMA with that style. Kung Fu practitioners sparring tend to look like Dominick Cruz, constantly facing different directions. No idea if he's got any of his style from that, though.

Judo is well represented, but Greco-Roman wrestling has had a lot more success. It's mainly because Judo guys train with gis, and maybe also because Judo would emphasize throws that will work on a larger opponent. (Wrestlers have a knack for picking someone up with the sheer force of their lower back muscles, which wouldn't make sense in self-defense without weight classes).

Anyway, Judo, it works bitches.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Phyzzle posted:

While most Kung Fu consists of essoteric traditions, there are some sparring-heavy schools. San Shou is a sport/martial art with a curriculum derived from Kung Fu. Cung Le was quite successful in MMA with that style. Kung Fu practitioners sparring tend to look like Dominick Cruz, constantly facing different directions. No idea if he's got any of his style from that, though.

Judo is well represented, but Greco-Roman wrestling has had a lot more success. It's mainly because Judo guys train with gis, and maybe also because Judo would emphasize throws that will work on a larger opponent. (Wrestlers have a knack for picking someone up with the sheer force of their lower back muscles, which wouldn't make sense in self-defense without weight classes).

Kung fu like any martial art depends on who teaches it. There's rediculous poo poo out there that wouldn't work in a real fight in a million years then theres some other down right brutal poo poo.

Oh and btw, if you're taking someone down with your back muscles you're doing it wrong.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Phyzzle posted:

While most Kung Fu consists of essoteric traditions, there are some sparring-heavy schools. San Shou is a sport/martial art with a curriculum derived from Kung Fu. Cung Le was quite successful in MMA with that style.

While I actually think San Shou makes quite a good base for MMA, Cung Le isn't a very good case example, because his mma career was just like his San Shou career - carefully matched up with cans, kickboxers and shot fighters to inflate his record. Every time he faced somebody who was actually good at San Shou he got whupped, and he managed to get whupped at MMA without ever facing someone who was actually good.

Now what I'd love to see would be Marvin Perry in mma, but we probably won't.

quote:

Judo is well represented, but Greco-Roman wrestling has had a lot more success.

Actually American Folkstyle is really the wrestling that has been strongest in MMA; all the notable Greco guys in MMA that did well had a strong folkstyle background and there are pretty much no examples of the inverse.

quote:

It's mainly because Judo guys train with gis

Partially this, and partially because of judo competition rules they don't focus nearly as much on controlling people on the ground as folkstyle wrestling or BJJ.

quote:

and maybe also because Judo would emphasize throws that will work on a larger opponent. (Wrestlers have a knack for picking someone up with the sheer force of their lower back muscles, which wouldn't make sense in self-defense without weight classes).

All of this is bullshit.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Phyzzle posted:

1)You see way more double and single leg attacks from wrestlers than you do suplexes in MMA.
2)Cung Le is not at all successful in MMA unless you call going 1-1 against Scott Smith and losing rounds to a crippled Frank Shamrock successful.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
The best "martial art" is to fish-hook someone's cheek off and then stomp on their knee caps while they're rolling around on the ground. BJJ / muai thai looks like the best combination for sport fighting.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Pneub posted:

The best "martial art" is to fish-hook someone's cheek off and then stomp on their knee caps while they're rolling around on the ground. BJJ / muai thai looks like the best combination for sport fighting.

If someone ever runs towards my mouth with their fingers they are gonna lose a finger and die. Or at least lose a finger. Poppa has good chomp offense.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
The best martial art is to run the gently caress away and don't stop running until you go through a door that can lock behind you.

The second best martial art, used only in situations where you can't immediately book it, is to hit them in their nuts and run the gently caress away and don't stop running until you go through a door that can lock behind you.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
You misspelled wrestling

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

niethan posted:

You misspelled wrestling

Wrestling only works against pretend fighting like BJJ. It has no use against real fighting like knives and broken beer bottles. There are only three true martial arts techniques:

1) Create distance, followed by either
2) Find a cop
or
3) Find a bunch of your friends.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Actually defensive wrestling is probably a really good skill to have "on the streets" :waycool:

additional true martial arts techniques you failed to mention:

-a gun

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

niethan posted:

Actually defensive wrestling is probably a really good skill to have "on the streets" :waycool:

-a gun

You're right, gun is a real martial art, but studies show that most people carrying guns are unable to actually use them during the pressure of a dangerous situation because they're either too scared to draw or too jittery to aim and fire correctly.

In basically any situation where the other guy doesn't have a gun I think it's best to just get the hell away and run toward the biggest crowd of people you can find. There's no point in getting into a violent altercation because anything can happen and even if you have a gun, that doesn't guarantee that something doesn't go wrong and you end up hurt.

Defensive wrestling is a something that would be very useful in tight or enclosed spaces where you can't escape, but on the street and outdoors you should be far away before the guy has an opportunity to try to tackle you.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

mobn posted:

Defensive wrestling is a something that would be very useful in tight or enclosed spaces where you can't escape, but on the street and outdoors you should be far away before the guy has an opportunity to try to tackle you.

Yes that is good street fighting advice, you should be far away from where fighting is happening.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

mobn posted:

Wrestling only works against pretend fighting like BJJ. It has no use against real fighting like knives

The Fitch disagrees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYGUoZyJs18

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

mobn posted:

Defensive wrestling is a something that would be very useful in tight or enclosed spaces where you can't escape

And as we know, violence never happens in tight or enclosed spaces where you can't escape, like a bar or an alley or a hallway

Also you always have plenty of warning that violence is coming so you can run away, you never get sucker-punched or tackled when you're not looking or otherwise put on the ground before you realize you're in danger

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I just find the idea of a martial art centered around running away amusing. I'm not seriously suggesting that running away is all you ever need to defend yourself.

I just wonder what a mall karate guy would call his running martial arts gym to make it sound historical. Maybe Par Krwan Do?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

mobn posted:

I just find the idea of a martial art centered around running away amusing. I'm not seriously suggesting that running away is all you ever need to defend yourself.

I just wonder what a mall karate guy would call his running martial arts gym to make it sound historical. Maybe Par Krwan Do?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkour

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_running

Its 2011 bro. We've got a thing for everything.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Thus par krawn do.

ASL NIGGA
Nov 26, 2009

by T. Mascis

Xguard86 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkour

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_running

Its 2011 bro. We've got a thing for everything.

I know it's mobn, but how do you not get jokes

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

ASL NIGGA posted:

I know it's mobn

drat you mobn!

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

niethan posted:

-a gun

The importance of wrist control in real life self-defense: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2REG3-Wb5gM

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
What are some good Bas Rutten fights to watch? I've never actually looked at his stuff beyond highlight reals. I figure I should look at the two UFC ones, but I don't know poo poo about Pancrase.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

attackmole posted:

What are some good Bas Rutten fights to watch? I've never actually looked at his stuff beyond highlight reals. I figure I should look at the two UFC ones, but I don't know poo poo about Pancrase.

The fight against shamrock is pretty cool

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWi0v6UnoUM&hd=1

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

fatherdog posted:

Now what I'd love to see would be Marvin Perry in mma, but we probably won't.

Marvin's injuries are really holding him back. Every so often he feels good and does some rolling or sparring and manages to hurt something. While I'm sure he could stomp some local MMA fighters, I don't think he'd want to restart his career for just a few fights at that level.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Thanks. More fighter's need to narrate their own fights.

Pancrase slap boxing is really weird though. Seems stupid that you can kick the head but not punch it, but there were a lot of stupid things in 90's MMA I guess.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I think the no head punching rule had more to do with not breaking your hand and less to do with possible damage to the target.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
There was probably a certain desire not to have everyone bleeding from cuts on their face, as that kind of cut is a lot more common when striking with bare knuckles.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Meat Recital posted:

There was probably a certain desire not to have everyone bleeding from cuts on their face, as that kind of cut is a lot more common when striking with bare knuckles.

Yeah, but busted knuckles are way more risky for promotion.

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Remember my name... you'll be screaming it later.
Anyone following Shark Fights?

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/5-Matches-Ticketed-for-Shark-Fights-18-on-Aug-19-34327

Looks like they just signed Villareal vs. Huckaba for #18 in Reno. That could be quite a war!

The main event is Shane Nelson vs Aaron Wetherspoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Exi7wound posted:

Anyone following Shark Fights?

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/5-Matches-Ticketed-for-Shark-Fights-18-on-Aug-19-34327

Looks like they just signed Villareal vs. Huckaba for #18 in Reno. That could be quite a war!

The main event is Shane Nelson vs Aaron Wetherspoon.

There is a big thread for non-UFC mma, including Shark Fights