Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

So I assume it's just a bug (or missing feature) but I can't find a way to exit full screen mode in Chrome while using Lion, the arrow button I used to get there in the first place disappears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?
Would anyone recommend installing Lion on a C2D unibody MacBook? I was wanting to put it on my mom's computer, but I'm not sure how well it would run.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

HorseDickSandwich posted:

Would anyone recommend installing Lion on a C2D unibody MacBook? I was wanting to put it on my mom's computer, but I'm not sure how well it would run.

Upgrade the RAM to at least 4 GB, and sure.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

lelandjs posted:

Did you install it on Lion or Snow Leopard?

Snow Leopard

tikan
Apr 30, 2009
Sorry if this is common knowledge or covered somewhere else in the thread but I didn't notice it anywhere. I want to do a clean install of Lion, can I just use the recovery partition that was set up when I originally installed it?

Once that is done if I restore from time machine will it also be putting back any of the cruft that was my aim to get rid of in the first place, or just apps/files/settings?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

lelandjs posted:

Did you install it on Lion or Snow Leopard?

I had 3.2.5 already installed and it works in Lion. Not sure about installing it in Lion though.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, from what I can tell if you already had it installed when you upgraded to Lion it works fine but only 4 will install properly on Lion for some strange reason. Oh well.

Visitor K
Jan 26, 2007
So I bought a 1TB hard drive for my MBP and doing a clean Lion install. I've tried cloning my HDD to a new, bigger one before but that only ended in headeaches, so I'm looking to transfer my important files manually to a portable drive and then restoring them to the new drive.
My first idea was basically copying my home folder to the new drive, basically moving my Aperture, iPhoto and iTunes libraries and also all of my other stuff, but I don't know if this is supposed to work. I hope it does, because that would be awesome :)

Visitor K fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 26, 2011

KrautHedge
Dec 5, 2008
Is there an ETA on when the Chrome Team will have the Lion features implemented? Also why the gently caress did apple fail to make finder respond to the two finger left and right gesture? I know I can get it working by switching that to 3 and spaces to 4 but it doesn't make sense why finder doesn't support it by default. Besides that Lion seems pretty great.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

I'm running the 2.0 C2D "late 2008" aluminum unibody macbook with 4 gigs of ram and it's running great.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Is there any way to rearrange fullscreen apps/spaces in Mission Control? And does anyone know why the three-finger back/forwards gesture only works some of the time in Finder? I have the two- and three-finger gesture option enabled in my trackpad settings.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
Sometimes Safari is downloading PDFs, and sometimes it's opening them with the built-in PDF reader. I don't have Acrobat Reader installed and I can't tell what's causing it to do one vs the other. The only differentiating factor I've noticed is when I'm browsing to a PDF file in normal browsing (i.e. when I most want it to display in the browser) it will download it, and when I'm googling for "filetype:pdf" to test the behavior (i.e. when I'm trying to reproduce the problem) it displays it in the browser just fine.

Has anyone else had trouble with Safari and PDFs in Lion?

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

I have the MacBook Pro that was sold right before the unibody devices were announced and I'm glad I got Lion. I wish I had more than the 4GB of RAM that I have now, though, so if you have any less than that you should probably upgrade before you upgrade.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'm on a pre-unibody MacBook Pro, 2.2ghz C2D with 4gb RAM and it runs perfectly.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

fleshweasel posted:

I saw the safari 5.1 update on snow leopard claiming a resume feature but it seems nowhere to be found :smith:

I don't know where you saw that; but the closest thing you'll get (as far as I know) is History > Reopen All Windows from Last Session. It's been there for a while, though, since 5.0, perhaps; still handy for when something insists on closing Safari for no reason (hello, Office Updater...).

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I have a weird Spotlight issue - I have a SSD serving as my primary production OS, and another 1tb hard drive where I install new programs and plugins without worrying about breaking my main production system. Lion is installed on both. Spotlight wants to index everything, so of course I just set privacy to that secondary drive.

But when I boot into the other OS, the settings persist and now I can't run spotlight on this drive/partition. Is there a way to make Spotlight settings stick for only specific accounts or installations?

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?

Hello Spaceman posted:

I've read this over and over, hoping I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to communicate. I don't know what you're talking about, though. Command+tab works exactly like it always has. I can switch between open or fullscreen apps with gay abandon. No exceptions.

If you open a new Space and drop an application in it, then switch back to another Space and from there try to command-tab to the app in the previous Space it just brings up the app's menu bar and doesn't actually swap to the Space the app is in. This is annoying as gently caress, and I hope they fix it. As a developer I have different Spaces designated for different things, and command-tabbing is by far the fastest way to get back and forth between two primarily used apps in two separate Spaces.

Which brings me to my next few nitpicks. The old grid layout for Expose was far better than Mission Control's vertical-only system. I can kind of grasp why they did it, they want to maintain the side to side flick scrolling you can achieve like an iDevice, and other gestures for swapping Spaces would conflict with the other new gestures they introduced. However, now this puts Spaces that could be 1-2 jumps way to 3-4+ jumps away, made even more annoying by the animation for switching.

The other thing that bugs me is that you can't drag and drop apps in the Mission Control thumbnail view like you could in Expose, only from the active Desktop to the thumbnail Space. You also can't specify where it's dropped in the thumbnail, it places it in the same position it was in the Desktop you dragged it from.

For the most part those are all minor nitpicks, and there's plenty of things to love about this upgrade. I just hope they change a few things back, or give us the option to toggle between the old way and the new way. If not Apple, I hope people equally annoyed about the small things make little tweak apps.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

lelandjs posted:

Yeah, from what I can tell if you already had it installed when you upgraded to Lion it works fine but only 4 will install properly on Lion for some strange reason. Oh well.

Is this the same when you install it from the command line. I've installed a lot of stuff in the past that would completely poo poo itself via gui, but from the command line install great. (Fun fact: You don't have to agree with the eula when you install via command line. For some reason thats significant to me but I dont know why)

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?
Thanks for the help everybody. She is definitely in need of a RAM upgrade, so I'll get on that and then get her setup with Lion.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Zenostein posted:

I don't know where you saw that; but the closest thing you'll get (as far as I know) is History > Reopen All Windows from Last Session. It's been there for a while, though, since 5.0, perhaps; still handy for when something insists on closing Safari for no reason (hello, Office Updater...).

It was in the software update notes for Safari 5.1. I just saw the same thing today. My guess is they forgot to mention it's Lion-only functionality.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 18, 2019

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
So, I went and upgraded my primary drive to Lion. Unfortunately, I've lost my account picture. I had previously used the Tiger-era generic account image (silhouette on blue/white background), but as mentioned earlier, installing Lion on my external clobbered the setting on my Snow Leopard install, and now I can't find the image again. Does anyone know where it's located (it's not in /Library/User Pictures/, IIRC I originally had to dig it up from some system folder)?

e:

1st AD posted:

I have a weird Spotlight issue - I have a SSD serving as my primary production OS, and another 1tb hard drive where I install new programs and plugins without worrying about breaking my main production system. Lion is installed on both. Spotlight wants to index everything, so of course I just set privacy to that secondary drive.

But when I boot into the other OS, the settings persist and now I can't run spotlight on this drive/partition. Is there a way to make Spotlight settings stick for only specific accounts or installations?

I don't think so, AFAIK Spotlight settings are saved in a hidden file in each folder.

vlack posted:

Sometimes Safari is downloading PDFs, and sometimes it's opening them with the built-in PDF reader. I don't have Acrobat Reader installed and I can't tell what's causing it to do one vs the other. The only differentiating factor I've noticed is when I'm browsing to a PDF file in normal browsing (i.e. when I most want it to display in the browser) it will download it, and when I'm googling for "filetype:pdf" to test the behavior (i.e. when I'm trying to reproduce the problem) it displays it in the browser just fine.

Has anyone else had trouble with Safari and PDFs in Lion?

Might be a server-side / HTML thing, I know there's some way to force a click on a file to download it rather than open in place.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 26, 2011

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

Lazyhound posted:

Might be a server-side / HTML thing, I know there's some way to force a click on a file to download it rather than open in place.

Interesting point... This PDF is an example of one that seems to always download no matter what, so maybe you're right.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

McFunkerson posted:

When I open an HTML or XML document in TextEdit (in Lion), make a change, and then save it changes the file extent ion to .txt. Is there a way to stop this from happening because it's bugging the poo poo out of me...

I'm not at my Mac now, but it's in the TextEdit prefs somewhere.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

vlack posted:

Interesting point... This PDF is an example of one that seems to always download no matter what, so maybe you're right.

Yeah, I've had a look and the reason for this is that the server is specifying the content-type of that document as "application/octet-stream" rather than "application/pdf"

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Binary Badger posted:

Oh look what showed up in Software Update just now..

The last two are known showstoppers that I'm glad they finally loving fixed.

For all of you still on Snow Leopard, get it here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1430

I'm afraid to update my HTPC to 10.6.8 and have to reinstall again.. Has it been confirmed if this fixes it?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Granite Octopus posted:

Turns out my MBP external screen hang issue is probably hardware-related, because it only happens when the laptop is connected to power, and I can find hardly any other reports of it happening.

Unfortunately, this machine is 2 months out of warranty. Booked an appointment at the fruit stand on Sunday. I'm guessing the only fix is logic board replacement :(

My friend was having this issue and resetting the SMC worked for a little while. Popped back up again though.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Any good free ID3 tag editors? Something similar to Tag & Rename?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Rick posted:

My friend was having this issue and resetting the SMC worked for a little while. Popped back up again though.

I tried this yesterday but wasn't sure if it actually did anything. Tried again but still having the same problems :(

Thanks anyway!

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

What's going on here? I just bought a Magic Trackpad. I can't even scroll with it, and my iMac thinks it's connected, but doesn't? :confused:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

I saw the safari 5.1 update on snow leopard claiming a resume feature but it seems nowhere to be found :smith:
I haven't tried this option myself...but did you check the preferences? In the first tab:

Khelmar posted:

Anyone having the immediately pausing network printer issue with Lion? My co-worker and I can't print to our network printers anymore, with the error:

(CUPS stuff)

in Cups' error_log. I've tried re-adding the printers, and resetting the printer system.
Try the 10.6.8 supplemental update mentioned a few posts above.

~Coxy posted:

I'm not at my Mac now, but it's in the TextEdit prefs somewhere.
If it's anything like 10.6's prefs:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

ilifin posted:

What's going on here? I just bought a Magic Trackpad. I can't even scroll with it, and my iMac thinks it's connected, but doesn't? :confused:

Uninstall USB Overdrive.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Crowley posted:

Uninstall USB Overdrive.
That wasn't it. But I decided to go digging in package receipts and in there I found two offending .kexts that had been installed. They're gone now, and voila I can use my trackpad :allears:

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Anyone else using Clusters? It's a utility that compresses your files with the HFS+ compression scheme introduced in Snow Leopard. I've been using it for over a year and have saved 18 GB on a 100 GB HD that would be nearly full without it. Backups from CCC work perfectly, and I haven't had any problems at all with compatibility (though you may have to decompress a file before using it on a pre-10.6 system).

I figure it would be great for people who picked up an Air with a small SSD and need to worry about space.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

Anyone else using Clusters? It's a utility that compresses your files with the HFS+ compression scheme introduced in Snow Leopard. I've been using it for over a year and have saved 18 GB on a 100 GB HD that would be nearly full without it. Backups from CCC work perfectly, and I haven't had any problems at all with compatibility (though you may have to decompress a file before using it on a pre-10.6 system).

I figure it would be great for people who picked up an Air with a small SSD and need to worry about space.

I wonder how it works with encryption in Lion? I suppose it should just work, seeing as how the encryption is done low level with Core Storage.

There has to be a way to do the compression from the CLI.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 18, 2019

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
The best solution might just be to install TextWrangler: http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002
Has anyone been able to virtualize Lion Server? I successfully have Lion (clean install) in VMWare Fusion, but when I go to install the server components it tries to download them then stops with this error:

"Can't install Server Essentials Because it is not currently available from the Software Update server."

Thoughts?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Is there a good application for monitoring bandwidth in OS X? I'm hoping for something that will keep track of daily/weekly/monthly totals. I just got a free time capsule to replace my aging Linksys WRTGL54. The time capsule is a lot faster, but I'm really missing all of the bandwidth info that the Tomato firmware gave me.

I've already got iStat menus installed, but it seems to only keep track of bandwidth used since my last restart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

CDOR Gemini posted:

The best solution might just be to install TextWrangler: http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/

TextWrangler is also free on the App Store.