Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

It has to be said that Simers long ago gave up any claim to being a real columnist. He's a print version of Skip Bayless, except his stuff is even more obviously meant to piss people off. Seriously, he barely tries to hide it.

True. But that does not stop him from being a) occasionally hilarious (see his USC and Lakers cheap shots) and b) occasionally correct. If that's not choking away a crucial game, I'd love to see what is. It's called the 2000 Western Conference Finals, and I never want to see it again. :smithicide:

The Kansas City Star went from having an All-Star writing lineup to being a shell of its former self. I can't speak to how the paper is doing financially but they've lost about every good writer they've had due to budget cuts. It's a real shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
"In all my years of watching futbol" . . . somehow I get the feeling this was like the fourth soccer game he's watched ever.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

True. But that does not stop him from being a) occasionally hilarious (see his USC and Lakers cheap shots) and b) occasionally correct. If that's not choking away a crucial game, I'd love to see what is. It's called the 2000 Western Conference Finals, and I never want to see it again. :smithicide:

The Kansas City Star went from having an All-Star writing lineup to being a shell of its former self. I can't speak to how the paper is doing financially but they've lost about every good writer they've had due to budget cuts. It's a real shame.

I have a few friends that work there (one was a relatively high-profile columnist at Ink) and they seem to constantly be getting laid off.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So T.J. Simers basically just did a nice job summarizing goon reaction in the WWC GDT after the game was over.

Seriously it was terrible.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
Reminder that TJ Simers wrote a hatchet job earlier this year on Marcus Thames, one of the best people in sports, that made fun of his name pronunciation, which is exactly like the river and not hard to pronounce at all.

e: Another reminder that TJ Simers once wrote a season's worth of articles calling Andruw Jones fat and coaxed Jones into standing on a scale in front of him.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Bigass Moth posted:

Yes and the Arizona Diamondbacks needed it more than the Yankees :lol:
My twin towers were blown the gently caress up and all I got is this lousy Mike Piazza homerun.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

The broken bones posted:

Reminder that TJ Simers wrote a hatchet job earlier this year on Marcus Thames, one of the best people in sports, that made fun of his name pronunciation, which is exactly like the river and not hard to pronounce at all.

e: Another reminder that TJ Simers once wrote a season's worth of articles calling Andruw Jones fat and coaxed Jones into standing on a scale in front of him.

OK the Andruw Jones thing almost makes up for all of the other terrible things that he's written.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Bill Simmons' wrestling article today on Grantland is loving atrocious. So many errors and he just plain doesn't know what he's talking about. He doesn't even know Motörhead does Triple H's entrance music and refers to Lemmy as "just someone screaming in a raspy voice". :what:

EDIT: Link http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6790423/good-lord-music

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 21, 2011

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Orgophlax posted:

He doesn't even know Motörhead does Triple H's entrance music and refers to Lemmy as "just someone screaming in a raspy voice". :what:

Well...

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 21, 2011

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
On Grantland today Jonah Keri has an article about Adam Dunn. If he just took out the first three paragraphs it would be fine, but they're all about how Dunn must be collapsing because he stopped taking steroids.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/722/the-curious-case-of-adam-dunn

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Jummy posted:

On Grantland today Jonah Keri has an article about Adam Dunn. If he just took out the first three paragraphs it would be fine, but they're all about how Dunn must be collapsing because he stopped taking steroids.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/722/the-curious-case-of-adam-dunn

The whole article is about how that ISN'T the case. Have you read Jonah Keri before?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dunn is the :smith:est player in the MLB. Just looking at him lumbering around uselessly in that white sox uniform is really depressing.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

zakharov posted:

The whole article is about how that ISN'T the case. Have you read Jonah Keri before?

No, after the three paragraphs it is, like I said. The rest of it I think is a really good case, I just don't see the reason to add the top part in there.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think we all knew Jim Bowden was a retard but wow

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/the-gms-office/post?id=765
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/the-gms-office/post?id=715

Highlights:

-Lists the entire AL Central save the Royals as contenders
-Says the White Sox, who are getting no production from the DH or outfield, need to get a setup man since that's their primary need
-Says the Yankees, who are running out CC Sabathia and 4 time bombs, have a primary need of reliever and backup 3B
-Says Randy Choate, who has a 1.33 ERA and the highest K/9 of his career this year, can "bounce back" if traded
-"Bartlett’s winning attitude would work well with the Brewers"
-Pirates need an "RBI bat"
-"...the lack of a true ace is a big reason the Twins have been swept in the first round of the playoffs the past two Octobers" a year after Francisco Liriano had an amazing season

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
He's right about the Pirates, insofar as you have to be able to hit baseballs to get RsBI, and most of the current Pirates cannot do that.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
He's also right about the AL central

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Orgophlax posted:

Bill Simmons' wrestling article today on Grantland is loving atrocious. So many errors and he just plain doesn't know what he's talking about. He doesn't even know Motörhead does Triple H's entrance music and refers to Lemmy as "just someone screaming in a raspy voice". :what:

EDIT: Link http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6790423/good-lord-music

In this instance I'll cut Simmons a break here.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
I know it's radio sposrtschat but Colin Cowherd just said that Brett Gardner would be the best player on the Mariners right now.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Moose Bigelow posted:

I know it's radio sposrtschat but Colin Cowherd just said that Brett Gardner would be the best player on the Mariners right now.

He's not wrong.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Moose Bigelow posted:

Brett Gardner is really good.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

I was going to say Smoak but I guess when you consider positional value and defense and all that it would definitely be Gardner.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Position players, yeah that's probably correct. Felix though is a whole different story.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Smoak has been terrible for like 2 months now.

April: .920 OPS
May: .750 OPS
June: .737 OPS
July: .402 OPS

He has a .334(!!!!) OPS since being scratched from the lineup on June 25. He's probably injured, but he's playing so it counts all the same.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

camoseven posted:

He's not wrong.

There is absolutely no chance that he knows *why* he's correct, but yeah.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Not sure if this is under the "journalism" umbrella, but I really enjoyed this NotGraphs article http://www.fangraphs.com/not/index.php/winning-the-sabr-debate-part-i/

quote:

Rather, here I want to engage on its own terms the all too common argument that advanced statistics obscure the game’s beauty.

Rejecting this claim only requires making the seemingly common-sense observation that baseball is not art. That is, it is wrong to say that baseball must be appreciated in the same ways that art is — as something we admire for its beauty, for the emotions it provokes in us, or for what it tells us about the world – because, unlike art, when the game of baseball is played, a large amount of essentially objective, numeric data is produced. Where there is an element of subjectivity is in how we arrange the data, how we interpret the data, which data we keep, and which data we throw away. With art, there is no equivalent. While we can agree that some art is better than other art, there is no objective data that emerges from the art itself.

Moreover, it makes no sense to say that “the obsession with numbers in baseball detracts from the game’s beauty” because numbers are far more intrinsic to baseball than beauty is. Baseball is a game. Ultimately, the goal of playing baseball (as with any game) is not to produce something beautiful, but to win. At the most fundamental level, the purpose of watching it is to see who wins.*

You may indeed find watching people play poker to be like taking a stroll through the Museo Reina Sofía, and there would be nothing wrong with that. But to suggest that the obsession with numbers in poker (odds, for instance) detracts from the game’s intrinsic beauty would, for obvious reasons, be patently absurd. Baseball has far more in common with poker than it does Picasso’s Guernica.

It probably isn't revelatory or anything for people here but I thought it was particularly well stated. Also if you're on the Tweetor machine the author is a pro-follow: @fuquamanuel

unhwillneverwin
Oct 16, 2010

Smashing through the boundaries
Lunacy has found me
Cannot stop the battery!
So Peter King's column might be the worst one he has ever written. He brags about going to Europe for a month long vacation while he pities Albert Breer for actually reporting about the lockouts. I suggest the Big Daddy Drew takedown because reading the original article without commentary will just make you stabby.

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2011/07/peter-king-knows-there%e2%80%99s-no-coffee-like-hitler%e2%80%99s-coffee.html

Edit: Someone created a piechart of the topics in King's latest column.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63980702@N02/5978152672/

Notice how he spends almost as much space ranking baseball stadiums as he does on actual NFL reporting.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

unhwillneverwin posted:

So Peter King's column might be the worst one he has ever written. He brags about going to Europe for a month long vacation while he pities Albert Breer for actually reporting about the lockouts. I suggest the Big Daddy Drew takedown because reading the original article without commentary will just make you stabby.

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2011/07/peter-king-knows-there%e2%80%99s-no-coffee-like-hitler%e2%80%99s-coffee.html

Edit: Someone created a piechart of the topics in King's latest column.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63980702@N02/5978152672/

Notice how he spends almost as much space ranking baseball stadiums as he does on actual NFL reporting.

The reason he puts Fenway #1 is because he has good seats there. :whatthechrist:

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
Man, I don't read Peter King, but gently caress that dude, what a douche. That was awful.

Love this quote though

quote:

Weird Austria fact: Adolf Hitler was born there.

BIZARRE!

Never knew that.

That’s because you spend all your time reading about loving Judge Judy.

swizz fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 26, 2011

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

swizz posted:

Man, I don't read Peter King, but gently caress that dude, what a douche. That was awful.

Love this quote though

No one tell him that Stalin was born in Georgia.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Hey, Joel Sherman, Hideki Irabu just died and probably committed suicide. What are you going to tweet?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Hey he said it was sad!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

zakharov posted:

Hey, Joel Sherman, Hideki Irabu just died and probably committed suicide. What are you going to tweet?

I'm trying to think if I dislike anyone who's played sports enough that the first thing I think upon hearing of their death is "they sucked at sports."

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

He is the same dude who one tweeted the ultimate First World Problem

Len Dykstra
Oct 24, 2010

zakharov posted:

Sure is sad that you committed suicide, but you sucked at your job and no one liked you!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I finally understand Twitter. It exists to troll sports writers. I have seen the light.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

zakharov posted:

He is the same dude who one tweeted the ultimate First World Problem

MY ENTITLEMENT

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

That tweet would be right at home in the Irabu thread. Well, if it was funny.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Just caught this on Sportscenter. DVRd it so I could get it verbatim:

Cindy Brunson
"John, Kevin Kolb has started just seven NFL games, the Cardinals are giving up a lot to get him. How big of a risk is this for Arizona?"

John "NFL Insider" Clayton
"It's a big risk if he fails but it's not a big risk if he succeeds."

Where would we be without that kind of insight?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I don't know where else to put this but FOX has apparently bought the movie rights to Those Guys Have All the Fun.

So yes, they're going to make a movie about ESPN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Crazy Ted posted:

I don't know where else to put this but FOX has apparently bought the movie rights to Those Guys Have All the Fun.

So yes, they're going to make a movie about ESPN.

nice. A Sports Night movie with a lot of goddamn inappropriate work space behavior.