Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Doibhilin posted:

So now that Bran is becoming a tree, does he still need Hodor? I was really hoping for a Master Blaster-esque sex scene.

He needs Hodor to fertilize his tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Bran is going to live in Hodor, who is part tree, if that log in his pants is any indication.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I think I read through this entire thread, and I can't believe this wasn't posted yet.

quote:

"Other times, when he was tired of being a ____, Bran slipped into Hodor's ____ instead. The gentle giant would whimper when he felt him, and trash his shaggy head from side to side, but not as violently as he had the first time, back at Queenscrown. He knows it's me, the boy liked to tell himself. He's used to me by now. Even so, the he never felt comfortable inside Hodor's ____. The big stableboy never understood what was happening, and Bran could taste the ____ at a back of his mouth. It was better inside Summer. I am him, and he is me. He feels what I feel."

Redact four words and it rivals some of the worst Wild Cards poo poo posted in the bad thread.

Rhymenoceros
Nov 16, 2008
Monks, a statement endowed with five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people. Which five?

It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will.
Did anyone else feel the book wasn't that good?

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Rhymenoceros posted:

Like I said earlier, I enjoyed the book but I came away disappointed. I wanted far more movement and some of the stuff was plain pointless. He should be looking to start winding things up instead of shoving more crap in.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

Rhymenoceros posted:

Welcome to the ADwD thread.

LastAshenHero
Apr 27, 2006
My Badge of Honour...

Just finished the book, ready to go WILD again. I agree, the book was absurdly long, hardly moved anything along, threw a goddamned Aegon plot in with (supposedly) only two books to go, and outside of Jon's last chapter, was universally unthreatening and uninteresting. Sigh.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

LastAshenHero posted:

Just finished the book, ready to go WILD again. I agree, the book was absurdly long, hardly moved anything along, threw a goddamned Aegon plot in with (supposedly) only two books to go, and outside of Jon's last chapter, was universally unthreatening and uninteresting. Sigh.

Come now. Theon's chapters were pretty drat good. Aside from that though I would not have felt let down at all if he just wrote up a one page summary of the rest of the book.

-Jon gets stabbed
-Tyrion rides a pig
-Dany shits herself. And is a bad ruler. And criminally stupid. And farther away from Westeros than she has been since book one.

Gad drat. gently caress Dany chapters. My last read though I skipped every single one in ASOS. It made zero difference in the story.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

Like I said earlier, I enjoyed the book but I came away disappointed. I wanted far more movement and some of the stuff was plain pointless. He should be looking to start winding things up instead of shoving more crap in.

I enjoyed it as well, but I guess I am almost disappointed because of all the stuff being "slow" in Slaver's bay. I really loved everything that we saw in the North.

I'm now realizing that I think the Meereeneese knot was actually tying it, not untying it and getting everyone out of there (which I think we expected). Which matches more with what GRRM said about getting everyone there and when.

How I see it from there:

Meereen is now a powder keg ready to explode. Tyrion succeeds in getting the Second Sons back over to Dany's side. Dany re-invades with the Second Sons, the khalasar and Drogon and Victarion hits from sea with Barristan fighting / protecting from within with the Unsullied.

TWoW can start out huge, then Tyrion, Dany and Victarion bond over Dragonbinder. Tyrion wins over Rhaegal and takes him to find his first dragon brothel. Victarion and Viseron spend their days making Drowned God and R'hllor floating sacrifices from the slavers captured during the sack. Dany heads to Asshai and the Shadow Lands.

geeves fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 26, 2011

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Thought the book was ok (i never have high expectations these days).

I do wonder about the slow pacing of the books as it feels like there are another six books to go before it finishes. :a2m:

My favourite character lived through another book.... which is nice. :thumbsup:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That last Dany chapter makes up for a lot in my book. Everyone's favorite fantasy princess making GBS threads herself and menstruating on herself as she crawls along a stream in the wilderness.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Just Another Lurker posted:

I do wonder about the slow pacing of the books as it feels like there are another six books to go before it finishes. :a2m:

Assuming GRRM can make it long enough to write them without having a coronary :ohdear:

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

euphronius posted:

That last Dany chapter makes up for a lot in my book. Everyone's favorite fantasy princess making GBS threads herself and menstruating on herself as she crawls along a stream in the wilderness.

I know that Dany is supposed to be barren after she lost the baby in GoT, but have they said that she hasn't even been having a period? They made such a big deal about her not realizing she was menstruating that I am wondering if this isn't supposed to be a sign that she is hot to trot again and ready to go push out babies like a good little queen.

Mr. Safe
Apr 18, 2009

Rhymenoceros posted:

It was better than AFfC, but I agree it wasn't very good overall. The almost non-stop back-to-back Jon, Tyrion, and Dany action felt pretty awesome at the beginning but it felt more repetitive as the book went on.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

LastAshenHero posted:

Jon's last chapter felt really dishonest to me. Seriously does anyone buy that he'll kill of Jon Snow at this point?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Seriously, what's up with Victarion? He's got a blistered, smoking tribute to the Red God on one arm, some serious pull with the Drowned God, and a horn that can purportedly control dragons. He's got a huge fleet that is successfully loving the slave coast, and he's an enormous twat about Danaerys.

Is he bringing her the horn as a lovely sideplot, or is this the guy we're supposed to be paying attention to? He seems to have more going for him than anyone else.

Edit: with all these loving visions and prophecies and poo poo being thrown around, I am so loving confused. This was a deeply frustrating book, except for Jon.

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 26, 2011

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Koine posted:

Seriously, what's up with Victarion? He's got a blistered, smoking tribute to the Red God on one arm, some serious pull with the Drowned God, and a horn that can purportedly control dragons. He's got a huge fleet that is successfully loving the slave coast, and he's an enormous twat about Danaerys.

Is he bringing her the horn as a lovely sideplot, or is this the guy we're supposed to be paying attention to? He seems to have more going for him than anyone else.

His two chapters, albeit short, were some of the most :black101: and fun of the book.

Capturing ships, partying with the red god, burning and drowning people left and right.

Aside from the Theon arc(easily the best), my favorite chapters were all of the short arcs:

Areo Hotah
Jaime
Davos
Victarion
Melisandre
Barristan
(even Cersei)
and :( Kevan

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You notice also that the horn seems to burn people from the inside? Hmm, who do we know who is apparently immune to fire????

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Liesmith posted:

You notice also that the horn seems to burn people from the inside? Hmm, who do we know who is apparently immune to fire????

Not Quentyn.

LastAshenHero
Apr 27, 2006
My Badge of Honour...

Cervixalot posted:

Not Quentyn.

Alright, I *did* love that the Frog got charred. Talk about the world's least interesting character.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

LastAshenHero posted:

Alright, I *did* love that the Frog got charred. Talk about the world's least interesting character.

I did love GRRM's signature subversion being applied to an earnest but naive would-be hero.

What I didn't love was a mention every other page about how Gerris Drinkwater is a smug bro by Quentyn, Barristan and others.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

LastAshenHero posted:

If he's unable to keep it concise, I'd rather have an extra-long book that still covers all the intended developments, rather than a short book that necessitates an 8th and 9th book, etc.

I have a feeling this book would have been widely seen as fantastic by everyone in this thread, if we'd gotten the climax at Winterfell and the resolution of Mereen (burning it to the ground)

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

lapse posted:

If he's unable to keep it concise, I'd rather have an extra-long book that still covers all the intended developments, rather than a short book that necessitates an 8th and 9th book, etc.

I have a feeling this book would have been widely seen as fantastic by everyone in this thread, if we'd gotten the climax at Winterfell and the resolution of Mereen (burning it to the ground)

I agree, and I loved the poo poo out of ADWD.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop

lapse posted:

This is almost definitely true. I cannot for the life of me figure out why he moved these over to Winds. Two or three more chapters, and you have a FAR more eventful novel, and leave the plot in a MUCH better place -- a sense of actual uncertainty about what will happen next, rather than cheap "cliffhangers" with only one or two reasonable resolutions. It was a dumb move.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
He did the same drat thing with AffC. The Arya, Jaime, Brienne and Cersei chapters all felt like they could have been added to the end of Crows with little trouble. Instead we had annoying cliff-hangers for about six years.

LastAshenHero
Apr 27, 2006
My Badge of Honour...

lapse posted:

I agree with this. There's enough in the book to get me all excited, but it ends with stupid bullshit cliffhangers. I wanted more of a book 3, and got more of a book 4. It's alright, though, the new Dresden Files novel is out, so that should keep me occupied until GRRM finishes up Winds of HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Musta Kraken
Dec 17, 2009

LastAshenHero posted:

I agree with this. There's enough in the book to get me all excited, but it ends with stupid bullshit cliffhangers. I wanted more of a book 3, and got more of a book 4. It's alright, though, the new Dresden Files novel is out, so that should keep me occupied until GRRM finishes up Winds of HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

At least with Dresden, when Butcher left us with a cliffhanger... we could rest assured that the book would be out in under a year.

For gently caress's sake, we waited years for aDwD, and we get loving cliffhangers at every damned turn. Sure, if an author is actually going to finish a book and write the next loving one in a reasonable amount of time, then hey, they are great, compelling even. The GURM is the slowest author ever, and we're left with not 1 or 2 cliffhanger plots, but just about ALL of them. Is Jon alive, if not, can Melisandra bring him back, and will she? does this mean 'his watch is ended?' What's going on at Hardhome? WTF is Dany gonna do now? Will the fight that seemed like it was going to start in a satisfying fashion... just about every time a Mereen chapter took place... ever actually start? Has Tyrion managed to turn the Second Sons cloaks AGAIN, and what exactly did he get them to agree to (we know they are taking his money, should he ever get it, but for doing what precisely, I doubt it's as simple as 'take Casterly Rock,' though that's almost surely part of it)? WTF happened at Winterfell? What did Ned Stark promise his sister... to return her body to the North... or to raise her son by Rhaegar as his own bastard? Something else? What happened to Theon (though, at least that arc was good)? At least Bran finally got to the 3 eyed crow, and Arya was left at a good spot, we got a good resolution for her with a prelude of further plot lines there.

you can achieve a sense of suspense without just stopping a story right in the loving middle GURM.

Musta Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 27, 2011

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Liesmith posted:

Dany is the prince who was promised according to Maester Aemon. Also possibly Jon??? The only candidate who doesn't have a PoV here is Griff/Aegon since there are supposed to be three of them and the only other guy in the running got set on fire.

Hint: He is of the night.

NFL free agency started, cannot wait for esteemed author and football enthusiast George R. R. Martin's hard hitting analysis.

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Rhymenoceros posted:

I thought it was kind of great?

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

So assuming that Winds of Winter doesn't make them absolutely key to the plot, what bits of Dance with Dragons/Feast for Bros can successfully be left out of the television series? Right now I'm betting that they can cut literally everything to do with Dorne past the the Red Viper and his duel with Gregor.

Quentyn's story arc accomplishes nothing. I did find him amusing as a character, and there was something novel about a group of dudes out on a journey that they are convinced they will tell their children about. It all added up to squat cause Quentyn just goes and gets himself cooked.

And since Quentyn doesn't amount to jack poo poo the whole "fire and blood," reveal in Feast doesn't really mean anything. The show runners could conceivably cut it all out, or bring Dorne back into the picture in season 5 if they end up siding with Aegon.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 27, 2011

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

threeagainstfour posted:

So assuming that Winds of Winter doesn't make them absolutely key to the plot, what bits of Dance with Dragons/Feast for Bros can successfully be left out of the television series? Right now I'm betting that they can cut literally everything to do with Dorne past the the Red Viper and his duel with Gregor.

Quentyn's story arc accomplishes nothing. I did find him amusing as a character, and there was something novel about a group of dudes out on a journey that they are convinced they will tell their children about. It all added up to squat cause Quentyn just goes and gets himself cooked.

And since Quentyn doesn't amount to jack poo poo the whole "fire and blood," reveal in Feast doesn't really mean anything. The show runners could conceivably cut it all out, or bring Dorne back into the picture in season 5 if they end up siding with Aegon.
I found the point of Quentyn's arc, as I've said before, to epitomize the idea of words being wind. He finds that just because his father had a piece of paper, doesn't mean Dany would recognize his legitimacy. But I disagree with cutting out Dorne. Dorne is probably one of the most interesting areas and scenes in both Feast and Dance.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Azure_Horizon posted:

Dorne is probably one of the most interesting areas and scenes in both Feast and Dance.

Of course it is! Where Darkstar roams, adventure and glory follow.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I wonder who they will cast as Daario, the bluebearded Casanova, in the show :allears:

e; Dorne is great, Quentyn owns owned.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 27, 2011

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

furushotakeru posted:

I know that Dany is supposed to be barren after she lost the baby in GoT, but have they said that she hasn't even been having a period?

I always suspected that this may not be the case, because they never came out and said she was barren, Miri whatever her name is just made a lot of allusions to it. IIRC (and maybe I'm wrong) Dany asked her when Drogo would be as he was before, and Miri went off on a long, "When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. When your womb quickens. Etc..." So for all we know, it may be one in a million, but it'll work 9 times out of 10.

Liesmith posted:

GRRM has said she's not immune to fire. But since the old Valyrians must have had SOME way to control their dragons, and since no matter the age from which you raise a kitty cat it may take a swipe at you occasionally, and since dragons are not kitty cats, it stands to reason that they devised some way to really control them without risk of harm. And if so, it also stands to reason that maybe they devised them in such a way that they wouldn't harm themselves, but might harm whoever decided to try and subvert their dragon kitties. And if so, perhaps those with old Valyrian blood (such as a Targ descendant) would be unaffected by the horn. :ninja:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

threeagainstfour posted:

The Dorne parts in AFFC were some of my favorite from that book. What they CAN cut is a whole lot of poo poo with Brienne. Depending on what his friends end up doing in the next novel, Quentyn can probably be dropped as well (them doing anything worthwhile would be the only reason to keep him, and even then there're probably better ways to get them there). I think a bit of Sam from AFFC, a lot of Dany and Meereen from ADWD, some of the Cersei stuff from AFFC (I enjoyed her chapters, but a lot of it could probably be condensed) and maybe a bit of Jaime.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I don't really get the people who think that Quentyn's chapter didn't change anything. He released the Dragons, and do you really think that Doran Martell will just go 'Welp' and then carry on supporting Daenerys when he hears that she spurned his son (Who I think was his favorite child?) and indirectly got him killed by forcing his hand?

Future conflict ahoy~

e; He could probably be cut from the show however, depending on how important Dorne becomes in the last few books.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 27, 2011

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Azure_Horizon posted:

I found the point of Quentyn's arc, as I've said before, to epitomize the idea of words being wind. He finds that just because his father had a piece of paper, doesn't mean Dany would recognize his legitimacy. But I disagree with cutting out Dorne. Dorne is probably one of the most interesting areas and scenes in both Feast and Dance.

I agree with you. Dorne is indeed interesting, but what has it added to the narrative or drama of the series? More importantly, what will it add to a television series that already has an impressive cast of characters and variety of locations.

I'm thinking in terms of a production budget and a limited number of episodes to work with. There is no way they are fitting all of the stuff introduced over Feast and Dance into the series and still doing it justice. Some of this stuff is going to end up cut, and I'm just curious what you guys think the series can afford to lose. Knowing what we know of the story so far of course. Maybe Quentyn's death will end up being hugely meaningful to the plot? We won't know until the sixth and seventh books have dropped however.

I think non book reading viewers are going to feel some fatigue/possibly lose interest if the main arcs of the story (The Others/Danerys and her return home) that are set up in season one still don't appear to be moving forward at anything past a snail's pace by the time season 4 (5 if they split Swords into two seasons) rolls around.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 27, 2011

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop

Kainser posted:

I don't really get the people who think that Quentyn's chapter didn't change anything. He released the Dragons, and do you really think that Doran Martell will just go 'Welp' and then carry on supporting Daenerys when he hears that she spurned his son (Who I think was his favorite child?) and indirectly got him killed by forcing his hand?

Future conflict ahoy~

What? I can't see this happening. Doran Martell is going to turn against the vastly superior forces of Daenerys, because she didn't honor a contract that didn't have anything to do with her, then Quentyn got himself killed -- when she wasn't even THERE -- because he thought he could tame a dragon? In no way did she force his hand. And no way a guy like Doran would pull a move like that on such a flimsy provocation, I think we've seen that.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

furushotakeru posted:

They made such a big deal about her not realizing she was menstruating that I am wondering if this isn't supposed to be a sign that she is hot to trot again and ready to go push out babies like a good little queen.

The big deal was actually that she couldn't remember when her last period had been, which heavily implies that she was pregnant and miscarried, either from mounting the brown mare or just having a cursed poisonwomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

What? I can't see this happening. Doran Martell is going to turn against the vastly superior forces of Daenerys, because she didn't honor a contract that didn't have anything to do with her, then Quentyn got himself killed -- when she wasn't even THERE -- because he thought he could tame a dragon? In no way did she force his hand. And no way a guy like Doran would pull a move like that on such a flimsy provocation, I think we've seen that.
There is another (supposedly) Targaryen claimant with a stronger claim conveniently hanging out in the Stormlands who Doran easily could choose to support instead after something like this :ssh:

And yes, I could see Doran blaming Quentyn's death on Daenerys spurning him (and Dorne through him) and not having control over her dragons.

e; That is assuming that there will be a major conflict between Daenerys and Baby-Aegon, which is what I am expecting.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 27, 2011