Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Small White Dragon posted:

A "2x" screen for an iPad would be 266 or so. Are you not considering that "retina"?

EDIT: But seriously, OS X Lion is likely to have a lifespan of 2 years or so. You really don't think they could go from producing a 10' 266dpi display to a 13' 266dpi in the span of a couple years?

This explains it pretty well:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2010/06/10/resolving-the-iphone-resolution/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

A "2x" screen for an iPad would be 266 or so. Are you not considering that "retina"?

Apple isn't, at least not at the moment.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I'm familiar with a lot of this, but it says nothing about the availability of such displays at slightly higher sizes.

EDIT:

dissss posted:

Apple isn't, at least not at the moment.
Fine, let's rephrase. Considering the evidence that Apple is working on a "2x" -- i.e., 2x the DPI of the current display -- iPad, and that such displays are nearing commercial availability, slightly larger sizes, such as 11' or 13', are likely not far behind.

Given that the current lifespan of an OS X release is about 2 years, it does not seem to unreasonable to expect to see some Macs with such displays before 10.8's release.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 27, 2011

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

EDIT: But seriously, OS X Lion is likely to have a lifespan of 2 years or so. You really don't think they could go from producing a 10' 266dpi display to a 13' 266dpi in the span of a couple years?

Who is producing a 266 dpi 10 inch screen. Where can I buy it. How much does it cost.

If the answer to the last two is "well not at your local store" and "over $1000 for the screen alone" then it sure as poo poo ain't ready for the home market.

And all that aside yes it is very unlikely that they produce 366 dpi 13 inch screens in the next 2 years! I mean there have been crazy high dpi screens in all sorts of varieties for military or scientific work for years but they've never been in consumer level devices besides phones.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

madprocess posted:

Who is producing a 266 dpi 10 inch screen. Where can I buy it. How much does it cost.

If the answer to the last two is "well not at your local store" and "over $1000 for the screen alone" then it sure as poo poo ain't ready for the home market.
They're not commercially available yet; as I noted earlier, mass availability is expected later in the year.

Just because a part isn't sold directly to consumers at your local big box store, it doesn't exist as part of any other product? Really now.

Or has technology stopping advancing? If so, please let me know, there's some R&D people to lay off.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

On Unicornback posted:

Does anybody use a Mini for their home server? I am thinking about making the leap, but the whole external storage thing is throwing me off a bit. I suppose I could go the hackintosh route so I could build in a more traditional form factor, but I would hate for it to be unstable or a pain to keep updated.

Edit: not new to Apples, all of our laptops/phones are Apple. My current home server is running Win7 because I could build out the hardware I wanted but I'm tired of dealing with Windows even as a server OS.
I use mine as my main machine/server. Depending on the speed you need and other requirements it can be a pain or pretty simple.

Like if you just need a bunch of dumb drives to store and use around the network a basic four drive enclosure would probably work fine. If you need to RAID things up you could mess with soft RAID which will more easily run into USB/FW bandwidth limitations, or a hardware one which may or may not come with it's own issues. What specific use cases do you have in mind?

madprocess posted:

If you knew anything about screen tech you'd know it is. Also what dpi are these "retina" displays you're talking about?
I'm guessing he's referring to the 300 dpi ones demoed two months ago.

That said I doubt they'll make their way into Macs until they're more widespread, mainly cause the Macs are a relatively small part of their business now, vs ridiculous iPad growth.

japtor fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 27, 2011

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
Anyone have any luck with Mini DisplayPort/Thunderbolt to HDMI adapters? I have a cable from the Apple store that cost $45 but wouldn't mind grabbing something for $5-$10 off of Amazon if they actually work.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

They're not commercially available yet; as I noted earlier, mass availability is expected later in the year.

Just because a part isn't sold directly to consumers at your local big box store, it doesn't exist as part of any other product? Really now.

Or has technology stopping advancing? If so, please let me know, there's some R&D people to lay off.

"Mass availability" at the price of a fully loaded iMac 27 inch for the panel alone I have no doubt.

While the 7 richest kings of Europe will be able to afford them this stuff literally is likely to double or triple the cost of a Mac if they get used. You know aside from the fact they can only do it at 10 inches now.

Protip: a just invented never mass produced screen at 10 inches now does not mean 13 inch versions in Macs in 2 years.

On Unicornback
Oct 17, 2004

japtor posted:

I use mine as my main machine/server. Depending on the speed you need and other requirements it can be a pain or pretty simple.

Like if you just need a bunch of dumb drives to store and use around the network a basic four drive enclosure would probably work fine. If you need to RAID things up you could mess with soft RAID which will more easily run into USB/FW bandwidth limitations, or a hardware one which may or may not come with it's own issues. What specific use cases do you have in mind?

I specifically don't want redundancy, just backup. I customize backup jobs to several disks as I am more worried about accidentally deleteing poo poo than having uptime.

I think firewire would definitely be fine speed wise as it would just be sharing video and music content around the LAN. My concern is the added on cost of having to buy a 4 drive enclosure, the cheapest seems to be about $250 shipped. Now I know that pain, that pain I have failed to understand, of the Apple users who wish there was a midsized Mac with expandability options. :sigh:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

jfreder posted:

Anyone have any luck with Mini DisplayPort/Thunderbolt to HDMI adapters? I have a cable from the Apple store that cost $45 but wouldn't mind grabbing something for $5-$10 off of Amazon if they actually work.

Look at the Monoprice adapters linked in the OP, it should get the job done for you. I don't recall if they pass audio or not, however.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

madprocess posted:

You know aside from the fact they can only do it at 10 inches now.

Protip: a just invented never mass produced screen at 10 inches now does not mean 13 inch versions in Macs in 2 years.
No need to lecture me; I've spent a chunk of my life doing R&D on future products and future versions on products -- albeit not at Apple, although I do know people there -- and, while you're all chatting about the next big thing, keep in mind there are people already working on the next big thing after that, and designing the one that comes after that one.

So while you're correct I can't say for certain that we're going to see a Mac with a 2x display in 2 years, or what it might cost, I think it's quite likely these products are in the pipeline. Even beyond Apple, I've seen enough to know other companies think such displays in commercial products in the not-distant future are a lot more likely than you imply.

Of course, only time will tell.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

movax posted:

Look at the Monoprice adapters linked in the OP, it should get the job done for you. I don't recall if they pass audio or not, however.
They don't

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

So regarding the HD problems in some iMacs, how do we tell if a given iMac is affected?

By serial number. It's right on Apple's support page.

http://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

flyboi posted:

It's the Apple resale tax. 99% of people reselling their Apple hardware are jerks.

Hey, one of those 09 Macbook Pro jerks is me, and I fully expect to sell for less than I'm asking.

But maybe not, my craigslist post is blowing up.

edit: and there isn't a refurb 13" MBP on the store right now for less than $1019, fwiw

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 27, 2011

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Why did I have to buy the previous generation's Air :smith:

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

Pertplus posted:

They don't

I missed that part of the OP originally, but the monoprice link does mention that the mini DP to HDMI passes audio. This isn't the case, though?

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

madprocess posted:

who was producing 360 DPI phone displays before the Iphone 4 came out?

I'm not exactly sure how they could add "High DPI" modes to the OS, tell developers to start working on resolution-independence, and you could come to any other conclusion than "They are planning displays with significantly higher DPI". Especially because they did the exact same thing with the iPhone.

And especially especially because they can say "your pictures, clearer than ever with the first Retina display on the desktop" or whatever the gently caress on the commercials, which is all Steve Jobs actually cares about.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Oh man, It's starting

MacRumors posted:

Apple is working on a 15" ultra-thin Mac notebook, MacRumors has learned. We aren't certain if it will be called a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro, but we do know that it is already in late testing stages at Apple....

......Many now expect that Apple's design choices in the Air will eventually make their way to the MacBook Pro product, with the use of integrated SSD and lack of optical drive being the most notable changes allowing for such a thin design. While we don't know for a fact, we expect that any future "ultra thin" laptop from Apple will also dispense with a built-in optical drive. As evidenced by its recent release of the optical drive-less Mac mini, Apple has no problem leaving physical media behind.

The ultra-thin market is also about to get much more competitive this fall as Intel's partners begin launching their Ultrabook notebooks.

The timing of an ultra-thin 15" Apple notebook remains a mystery to us as Apple just revamped the MacBook Air with new 11" and 13" models. Meanwhile the MacBook Pro line was refreshed in February, likely pushing the next release out to at least very late in the year.

Update: TUAW corroborates our claim and also adds that they believe that this new notebook will fall under the "MacBook Pro" branding alongside a thin 17" model. Also, they believe it might be available in time for Christmas.

Not that any of this is surprising in the slightest. That said, the oddly matter-of-fact tone for a site that often stresses and comments on the unreliability/reliability of information sources might mean that Apple's really getting ready to roll these suckers out very soon. I guess I'll just have to rely on my blackbook that much longer.

I wonder what that means for the MBP's glass cover on the glossy screens. While I'm no fan of glare, I really like the vibrancy of the glossy's colors and the convenience of an easily wipeable glass front. Also, presumably quad-core Ivy Bridge CPUs and high-power discrete GPUs in an ultrathin? Don't current MBPs already have a problem with heat management with big heatsinks and two fans?...Not to mention, putting in one of those proprietary SSD cards (or any SSD, really) with a capacity to rival the 500gb HDDs in current MBPs is impossible if they want to keep pricing remotely consistent for most buyers.

There's always the possibility that the MBP line will bifurcate into Ultraportable and high-performance desktop replacement lines but that seems terribly un-Apple. My best bet is on an expansion of the MBA brand with 15" and 17" options and an Optical-less, slightly thinner MBP- possibly like the original Air that came with a HDD.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 27, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

On Unicornback posted:

I specifically don't want redundancy, just backup. I customize backup jobs to several disks as I am more worried about accidentally deleteing poo poo than having uptime.

I think firewire would definitely be fine speed wise as it would just be sharing video and music content around the LAN. My concern is the added on cost of having to buy a 4 drive enclosure, the cheapest seems to be about $250 shipped. Now I know that pain, that pain I have failed to understand, of the Apple users who wish there was a midsized Mac with expandability options. :sigh:
If you want a JBOD setup you might be screwed with one of those 4 bay FW ones anyway, it seems like nearly all the ones I've found only do a form of RAID. I looked into it for a while a few years back and the main issue appeared to be that the popular Oxford controllers only did RAID for their 4 drive ones.

All that said, USB might work for you. If you have a gigabit network you'll run into the limits when doing straight file transfers, but for media USB's bandwidth is more than enough, although transferring from disk to disk (or writing to multiple disks at once) within the enclosure could get annoying cause the limit (figure at best they're all sharing a single 35MB/sec connection). That may be more tolerable considering you'll save around $100, and could semi future proof yourself with a USB 3.0/eSATA one.

Another option is a dual USB one and dual FW one, but it's kind of annoying having an extra power brick and cable to deal with, and if they have fans it could be noisier (2 small fans vs 1 bigger one).

evensevenone posted:

I'm not exactly sure how they could add "High DPI" modes to the OS, tell developers to start working on resolution-independence, and you could come to any other conclusion than "They are planning displays with significantly higher DPI". Especially because they did the exact same thing with the iPhone.

And especially especially because they can say "your pictures, clearer than ever with the first Retina display on the desktop" or whatever the gently caress on the commercials, which is all Steve Jobs actually cares about.
I think it's 320, and a slight difference is that many other phones weren't hugely off for a while before then...then again you could arguably compare those to the other overly tiny high res displays that have been on the market for a while (mostly in Sony's expensive rear end ultraportables).

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

jfreder posted:

I missed that part of the OP originally, but the monoprice link does mention that the mini DP to HDMI passes audio. This isn't the case, though?

I have a monoprice hdmi adapter and it passes audio perfectly.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

On Unicornback posted:

Does anybody use a Mini for their home server? I am thinking about making the leap, but the whole external storage thing is throwing me off a bit. I suppose I could go the hackintosh route so I could build in a more traditional form factor, but I would hate for it to be unstable or a pain to keep updated.

Edit: not new to Apples, all of our laptops/phones are Apple. My current home server is running Win7 because I could build out the hardware I wanted but I'm tired of dealing with Windows even as a server OS.

We use one for a server at work. Just sits in our rack with our other stuff. It's connected to external HD that someone takes home every other day, it works fine. We have a mix of Windows and Macs that use it (around 20 people).

fleshweasel posted:

i mean a lot of the people selling their stuff in SA mart are bundling expensive software and have added aftermarket RAM and HDDs to their Macs so really if you take a look people aren't making bad deals at all. Plus what difference does it make to you if Macs retain a lot of value? That's just the way it is.

Well the one guy has a keyboard+trackpad so that's better. Plus he's willing to take $100 less if you don't want the stuff.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

No need to lecture me; I've spent a chunk of my life doing R&D on future products and future versions on products -- albeit not at Apple, although I do know people there -- and, while you're all chatting about the next big thing, keep in mind there are people already working on the next big thing after that, and designing the one that comes after that one.

So while you're correct I can't say for certain that we're going to see a Mac with a 2x display in 2 years, or what it might cost, I think it's quite likely these products are in the pipeline. Even beyond Apple, I've seen enough to know other companies think such displays in commercial products in the not-distant future are a lot more likely than you imply.

Of course, only time will tell.

Personally, I don't expect Apple using "retina" panels in their computers until they're available at all sizes of screen they sell. It would just be bizarre if you only had say the 11 and 13 inch Airs with Retina displays (especially since they will always have lower end graphics chips than the rest of the line due to their design) while all other models still had normal displays.

I've taken care to state that very hi res displays aren't impossible, they're just not likely to be out for quite some time.

evensevenone posted:

There were tons of smartphones out before the iPhone 4 that had 240-290 dpi displays. The previous iPhones were sort of outliers in using a low-dpi screen for so long after other smartphones had advanced.

That's another reason I don't see Apple being the ones to introduce really high dpi screens to computers, they do like to hold off and not go with stuff like this right away.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I wonder what that means for the MBP's glass cover on the glossy screens. While I'm no fan of glare, I really like the vibrancy of the glossy's colors and the convenience of an easily wipeable glass front. Also, presumably quad-core Ivy Bridge CPUs and high-power discrete GPUs in an ultrathin? Don't current MBPs already have a problem with heat management with big heatsinks and two fans?...Not to mention, putting in one of those proprietary SSD cards (or any SSD, really) with a capacity to rival the 500gb HDDs in current MBPs is impossible if they want to keep pricing remotely consistent for most buyers.

There's always the possibility that the MBP line will bifurcate into Ultraportable and high-performance desktop replacement lines but that seems terribly un-Apple. My best bet is on an expansion of the MBA brand with 15" and 17" options and an Optical-less, slightly thinner MBP- possibly like the original Air that came with a HDD.

As long as battery life doesn't suffer because they have cut the size of the thing to fit, I'll be happy. It's unlikely anyways seeing as the power consumption would drop anyways going to an Air-like formfactor, but if I vaguely remember one of Anand's graphs, the 15" MBP gets better life than the 13" Air (both 2011) simply because it has more room for a bigger battery.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

mike- posted:

I have a monoprice hdmi adapter and it passes audio perfectly.

I have the newer and older monoprice adapter and they both pass audio from 2011 13 in macbook pro perfectly.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Pet peeve.. I'm not sure this how this happened, but "resolution" has come to mean "The number of pixels on the screen", regardless of how tightly the pixels are packed. Which isn't resolution, it's just the number of pixels on the display. PPI is resolution.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

echobucket posted:

Pet peeve.. I'm not sure this how this happened, but "resolution" has come to mean "The number of pixels on the screen", regardless of how tightly the pixels are packed. Which isn't resolution, it's just the number of pixels on the display. PPI is resolution.

Resolution has always meant number of physical pixels, not density, when referring to computer displays.

On the other hand, when you're talking scanners or printers, the word 'resolution' has always meant DPI. Your 300dpi laser printer was never known for being able to do 3300x2550

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Resolution has always meant number of pixels, not PPI, when referring to computer displays.

When you're talking scanners or printers, resolution has always meant DPI. Your 300dpi laser printer was never known for being able to do 3300x2550

And I'm arguing it's been wrong for a VERY LONG TIME. Since the late 80's probably.

Edit: Dictionary.com gives this definition:

Resolution.
9. the ability of a television or film image to reproduce fine detail

And I would argue that relates to PPI, not to number of pixels on the display.

echobucket fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 27, 2011

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The convention is to call the total number of pixels "resolution" but that isn't a very useful measurement on its own.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

echobucket posted:

And I'm arguing it's been wrong for a VERY LONG TIME. Since the late 80's probably.

Whether it's wrong or right, that's what it has always meant.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

From Slickdeals: NewEgg has the 2x4GB SODIMM kit for $39.99, free shipping with a free Kingston 4GB flash drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231295&cm_sp=ProductSpotlight-_-20-231-295-_-07272011

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

From Slickdeals: NewEgg has the 2x4GB SODIMM kit for $39.99, free shipping with a free Kingston 4GB flash drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231295&cm_sp=ProductSpotlight-_-20-231-295-_-07272011

This fits in the MBP yes? If so thank you very much!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Edit: rong thrad :v:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
You can take my quad core MBP out of my cold, dead hands when ULV stops sucking complete rear end. gently caress a 15" air.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Oh geezus, my iMac takes 1066 DDR3 and that's still $54.99. Can I put 1333 DDR3 in my iMac and have it still work at the slower speed or will it cause me problems?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

This fits in the MBP yes? If so thank you very much!

echobucket posted:

Oh geezus, my iMac takes 1066 DDR3 and that's still $54.99. Can I put 1333 DDR3 in my iMac and have it still work at the slower speed or will it cause me problems?

I'm not 100% sure, but from looking at NewEgg reviews, MacRumors, and Apple's support forums this won't work in the C2D Macs :(

Mine are all i3 or i5 :smug:

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I'm not 100% sure, but from looking at NewEgg reviews, MacRumors, and Apple's support forums this won't work in the C2D Macs :(

Mine are all i3 or i5 :smug:

No, I have a late 2009 27" iMac with a quad core i5.

To clarify more.. I currently have the stock 4GB (2x2GB) 1066 DDR3 ram + some g.skill 8GB (2x4GB) 1066 DDR ram in it. I want to replace the stock ram with the g.skill that's on sale, bringing me to 16GB of ram. I don't mind if the ram underclocks to 1066, I just want to know if the iMac will actually underclock it properly.

echobucket fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 27, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

serebralassazin posted:

I have the newer and older monoprice adapter and they both pass audio from 2011 13 in macbook pro perfectly.

Yep, in this case it's not the cable but the revision of the machine that's got to do with it. Pretty much any Mac model made in 2010 will pass audio out over the mini-displayport to proper HDMI adapters.

Oh yeah, now there's one more reason to install nVidia's CUDA software (other than waiting for BOINC project support):

http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL...S=set-locale=en

Toast Titanium 11 will use the GPU to speed up video conversions, they're calling it VideoBoost technology. It supports select nVidia chips, even the integrated 320M in the 2010 MacBook Airs! Dunno if it's a bigger boost than you'd get upping to a 2011 MBA's i5..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 27, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

echobucket posted:

To clarify more.. I currently have the stock 4GB (2x2GB) 1066 DDR3 ram + some g.skill 8GB (2x4GB) 1066 DDR ram in it. I want to replace the stock ram with the g.skill that's on sale, bringing me to 16GB of ram. I don't mind if the ram underclocks to 1066, I just want to know if the iMac will actually underclock it properly.

Not sure, I'd google around. There's the issue of it recognizing that much ram, plus the issue of it being compatible with memory of that speed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

echobucket posted:

It works for this guy in his MBP

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1190228

I'd just buy it and if it doesn't work, send it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

It works for this guy in his MBP

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1190228

I'd just buy it and if it doesn't work, send it back.

Okay, considering they have a 30 day money back return policy this is what I'm going to do. I'll report back here on my results once I get the ram. Hrm, I wonder, if I return it, do I have to return the flash drive?

Is there a good memory test program I can run once I get it to make sure things are running right?