Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

rcman50166 posted:

This is horrifying. I saw this doing 60 on a highway. Let's see how long it takes to find the really scary part. Hint: it's not the fact that it's a bus towing another bus.

No brake lights on the back one?

Edit: D'oh. It's missing a wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Those super short wheelbase buses are enough of a mechanical failure alone. A little bit of washboard turns them into a rollercoaster.

Bill from marketing: hey gus, it's bill from marketing, A customer wants to know how long of a bus we could slap on an 10' pick-up frame
Gus from engineering: Anything more than 18 feet would be suicide
Bill from marketing: 30 feet, gotcha, thanks gus

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Also, they haven't hooked up the lights.
edit: Always look for another page.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
It's also missing a license plate :siren:

And everyone mentioned the missing inside tire but the left inside tire looks like the tread was worn down like crazy (that could just be an illusion because of my crappy laptop monitor).

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
What's really eerie is that I was right there, Sargent Drive in New Haven yesterday.

Konigwheels
Jul 1, 2007

by T. Fine
The single tire is more than capable of holding the bus up. The fronts are singles forever. This happens all the time on busses, semis and regular dually trucks. I would be mcuh more worried about the towing.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

rcman50166 posted:

This is horrifying. I saw this doing 60 on a highway. Let's see how long it takes to find the really scary part. Hint: it's not the fact that it's a bus towing another bus.

Is it the fact that they don't seem to have hooked up some form of brake lights on the back of the second bus?

edit: oh dammit

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Konigwheels posted:

The single tire is more than capable of holding the bus up. The fronts are singles forever. This happens all the time on busses, semis and regular dually trucks. I would be mcuh more worried about the towing.

No, you don't understand. There were two wheels on that side when they hitched it up. :v:

Bathroom Surprise
Feb 15, 2005

I was going through there yesterday, and when the Jeep in front of me hit the bump where the lanes shift by exit 3, its front end started shaking pretty bad. Apparently its called "death wobble"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwiv23dLhMY

Bathroom Surprise fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 27, 2011

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

v689fbird posted:

I was going through there yesterday, and when the Jeep in front of me hit the bump where the lanes shift by exit 3, its front end started shaking pretty bad. Apparently its called "death wobble"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwiv23dLhMY

Death wobble is the worst thing I have ever experienced in a vehicle, and I refuse to own anything that is prone to it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I thought only motorcycles could do that. Is that an alignment issue or what?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I thought only motorcycles could do that. Is that an alignment issue or what?

It happens on LR Discoveries that have bad bushings (and I mean ALL OF THEM need to be hideously bad for it to happen, along with a blown steering damper). Not really an issue so much unless you've neglected to do any sort of periodic inspection to suspension components after 100k miles, which many people seem to neglect. I think people run around on bad bushings and don't realize how bad they actually are because the damper is masking the problems. Then the damper goes and OHSHIT.

Not sure how common it is on a Jeep.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Nissan patrols get that too- The GU series in particular.

Nissan, in their infinate wisdom, put the wheel bearings on the stub axles unusually close together, so ANY looseness in them essentially makes your hub wobble on the axle, which goes into the steering, which goes into you, and makes you defecate into your pants.

The landcruisers are about twice the distance and can have SHOCKINGLY sloppy bearing tolerances and not suffer the same problem.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Motronic posted:

It happens on LR Discoveries that have bad bushings (and I mean ALL OF THEM need to be hideously bad for it to happen, along with a blown steering damper). Not really an issue so much unless you've neglected to do any sort of periodic inspection to suspension components after 100k miles, which many people seem to neglect. I think people run around on bad bushings and don't realize how bad they actually are because the damper is masking the problems. Then the damper goes and OHSHIT.

Not sure how common it is on a Jeep.

Its fairly common on Lifted Jeeps. It doesn't take much for it to happen on a jeep, A bad bushing, bad ball joint, Loose Trackbar. All common causes, The problem is trying to fix it as most of the time its caused by a group of things and not just one single issue.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Veeb0rg posted:

Its fairly common on Lifted Jeeps. It doesn't take much for it to happen on a jeep, A bad bushing, bad ball joint, Loose Trackbar. All common causes, The problem is trying to fix it as most of the time its caused by a group of things and not just one single issue.

I help maintain a local Jeep forum and this is exactly the problem. Very prone to jeeps even with a moderate lift, and extremely difficult to troubleshoot. I've have also heard it is the scariest thing to encounter.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've had that happen on a stock Grand Cherokee V8 before. And yes, it is pants-shittingly scary, especially at freeway speeds when it normally happens. Since I replaced all 4 shocks and the steering damper, it hasn't happened again. I do need to check all the front end bushings this fall, though. It was feeling pretty sloppy last winter again :(

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
I just encountered death wobble on my lifted 98 Grand Cherokee for the first time last week while on the highway. I was going around a slight bend and it just started out of nowhere. Scary as gently caress. It didn't wonder around, or try to get out of control, just everything started shaking like mad and I could not steer at all.

After taking a moment to change my pants, I got a friend to take a look underneath while I was racking the steering over. The output shaft the pitman arm resides on - from the steering box - was moving up and down in the steering box about 3/4 of an inch. Time for a new box.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
the bosotruck had death wobble once, I thought was just a bad carrier bearing, but I found out that all the ball joints in the front end were shot.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PitViper posted:

I've had that happen on a stock Grand Cherokee V8 before. And yes, it is pants-shittingly scary, especially at freeway speeds when it normally happens. Since I replaced all 4 shocks and the steering damper, it hasn't happened again. I do need to check all the front end bushings this fall, though. It was feeling pretty sloppy last winter again :(

Seriously, dude....you need to fix it for real. The shocks didn't fix it, because they didn't cause it. Same for the steering damper. That just MASKS it. It's not safe.....get under there an find out what's shot. Not this fall. Much sooner.

Any mechanic who tells you that your suspension issue is because your steering damper is bad needs to be fired. I hear this poo poo all the time in the 4x4 forums. Steering dampers should be removed to test if something is really fixed or not. All they do is hide symptoms. They're great for their intended purpose, but making up for sloppy bushings, bad bearings, shot tie rods ends, etc. is NOT that purpose, and they will just wear out quickly and leave you in a panic or an accident when they do.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
One of the reasons for getting it on lifted stuff is that the act of lifting the suspension rotates the axle so as to negate (or even reverse) the steering castor. Re-clocking the axle to the right angle can help, but yeah, looking for wear is the real secret. The KOR site has a pretty good writeup on it: http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/how-to-fix-your-own-death-wobble/

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
:eek:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Is there any chance at all that the bike might just settle back on its rear wheel or is he about to lose a lot of arm skin?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

oxbrain posted:

I don't remember lowering the front end. :wth:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

Is there any chance at all that the bike might just settle back on its rear wheel or is he about to lose a lot of arm skin?

It happened in the middle of a stoppie, so he's going to lose some arm skin, and maybe a few vertebrae.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
There's some after pictures of him in a sling, not sure of the total damage to his body..

edit: from some googling it seems he broke his collarbone.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 27, 2011

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Geirskogul posted:

It happened in the middle of a stoppie, so he's going to lose some arm skin, and maybe a few vertebrae.

Nah, its cool brah. His bandana will protect him.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
There has to be some more to it than it looks, though? Hauling hard on the brakes at speed is at least as high a load on the forks as a stoppie. Pre-existing accident damage?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

InitialDave posted:

Pre-existing accident damage?

Looking at the skid cage he's got on the said, I'd say that's probable.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

oxbrain posted:

Oh look, even the bike is making GBS threads itself.

I got what I think was death wobble driving a friend's Cavalier several years ago. Out of nowhere the whole car started shaking violently and the steering wheel did almost nothing. When I asked him about it he said it'd been doing that at random for about 5 years. :haw:

I convinced him to take it to a shop, turns out every bushing in the front had ceased to exist, plus the ball joints were shot.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Motronic posted:

Seriously, dude....you need to fix it for real. The shocks didn't fix it, because they didn't cause it. Same for the steering damper. That just MASKS it. It's not safe.....get under there an find out what's shot. Not this fall. Much sooner.

Any mechanic who tells you that your suspension issue is because your steering damper is bad needs to be fired. I hear this poo poo all the time in the 4x4 forums. Steering dampers should be removed to test if something is really fixed or not. All they do is hide symptoms. They're great for their intended purpose, but making up for sloppy bushings, bad bearings, shot tie rods ends, etc. is NOT that purpose, and they will just wear out quickly and leave you in a panic or an accident when they do.

Woah... considering it's been parked since April, I think it'll be ok until fall. It's just my winter-beater, 6-mile roundtrip back and forth to work car.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That actually sounds like the best time to fix it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

InitialDave posted:

There has to be some more to it than it looks, though? Hauling hard on the brakes at speed is at least as high a load on the forks as a stoppie. Pre-existing accident damage?

Yes. Stunt bike, so definitely abused, and judging by the gross oil coming out of the forks, it's never been changed.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PitViper posted:

Woah... considering it's been parked since April, I think it'll be ok until fall. It's just my winter-beater, 6-mile roundtrip back and forth to work car.

I couldn't be expected to know that, now could I? Just worried about you not dying in a fiery crash. Sorry.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

oxbrain posted:

I hate stunter faggots

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Epic Fail Guy posted:

I hate stunter faggots

How can you determine his sexual orientation from that picture?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
He's about to jam his strut into that rear endphalt.

Edit: Also, that loving doo rag.
Edit2: No, that just makes him a douche. Nevermind.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

meatpimp posted:

How can you determine his sexual orientation from that picture?

Someone doesn't watch South Park, apparently.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

MikeyTsi posted:

In before McFarlaine/SP rant by Motronic.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Speaking of the death wobble, my truck has done it three times in a week.

I can hear that my wheel bearings are toast, so I guess I'll tear those out tomorrow and see what bushings are also shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MikeyTsi posted:

This episode is on right now oddly enough....
Faaags..