Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

x-virge posted:

You can copy the entire Backups.backupd instead of just portions from inside it.

Both Time Machine backups are in the same Bckups.backupd folder:

When I Enter Time Machine, it only lets me go back to the backups in the "Corbet's MBA" folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Select the app in iTunes but hold down option and delete, you should get a window that asks if you want to keep the files or move them to the Trash. Select move to Trash and you shouldn't be bothered again.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Select the app in iTunes but hold down option and delete, you should get a window that asks if you want to keep the files or move them to the Trash. Select move to Trash and you shouldn't be bothered again.

Will give this a shot, thanks!

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Accipiter posted:

I am really loving hating that they did away with "Save As..." because now doing things like adjusting the size of a scanned image in Preview and trying to save it to the desktop is COMPLETELY GODDAMN IMPOSSIBLE without jumping through eight hundred hoops. Rather than just opening the file in Preview, adjusting the size, and choosing "Save As...", you've got to do some hokey horseshit to duplicate the file, make your changes, then "Save..." the file the way you want it and delete the original from wherever the gently caress.
Tried "Export..."? I think it's basically just a renamed "Save As".

natlampe fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 28, 2011

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

lord funk posted:

Ugghghhh. I have a feeling I'm going to hate resuming apps.
There's a checkbox to turn it off.

Personally, I like fullscreen apps a lot more than I expected to, I just need to figure out how to map ^+↑/ ^+↓to Mission Control.

Disappearing scrollbars are dumb, though. They're a sensible compromise on a tiny screen, but you lose useful information with them.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

lord funk posted:

Ugghghhh. I have a feeling I'm going to hate resuming apps.
You can enable/disable it by pressing Option when you quit (ie. Opt-Cmd-Q). See my post on page 33 (bottom) for more Resume options.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lazyhound posted:

Personally, I like fullscreen apps a lot more than I expected to, I just need to figure out how to map ^+↑/ ^+↓to Mission Control.

Disappearing scrollbars are dumb, though. They're a sensible compromise on a tiny screen, but you lose useful information with them.

I love fullscreen simply because it moves an App into its own space.

And isn't that the default key mapping? I have ctrl-up mapped to Mission Control and ctrl-down mapped to All Window Exposé.

And yeah, disappearing scrollbars aren't my cup of tea. Scrollbars provide an important sense of context in large documents and data sets :(

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Martytoof posted:

I love fullscreen simply because it moves an App into its own space.

And isn't that the default key mapping? I have ctrl-up mapped to Mission Control and ctrl-down mapped to All Window Exposé.

And yeah, disappearing scrollbars aren't my cup of tea. Scrollbars provide an important sense of context in large documents and data sets :(

I'm just annoyed about how the disappearing scrollbars cover up the last line in every window when you scroll down.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Martytoof posted:

You can't get the old, fat ones back, but you can get permanent scroll bars:
Preferences > General > Show scroll bars: Always

DigitalChaos
Aug 18, 2003
After installing Lion and using the migration util to pull from my Snow Leopard install... well it went smoothly except for a few crashing apps.

TextEdit and Preview (probably more) crash immediately after trying to launch them. The console shows a "Job appears to have crashed: Illegal instruction: 4" when it happens. Any suggestions? I repaired the permission on the volume (there were quite a few problems) but that didn't fix it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

For those who don't like the new tab behaviour in Safari 5.1, here is an add-on that will help fix most of the issues (except for middle mouse click for new tab, still does the new behaviour for that):

http://canisbos.com/linkthing

DigitalChaos posted:

After installing Lion and using the migration util to pull from my Snow Leopard install... well it went smoothly except for a few crashing apps.

TextEdit and Preview (probably more) crash immediately after trying to launch them. The console shows a "Job appears to have crashed: Illegal instruction: 4" when it happens. Any suggestions? I repaired the permission on the volume (there were quite a few problems) but that didn't fix it.
When you did a migrate, did you only migrate the user accounts, or did you do the applications as well? Cos if you migrated the applications, then that's where your issues are.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Corbet posted:

Both Time Machine backups are in the same Bckups.backupd folder:

When I Enter Time Machine, it only lets me go back to the backups in the "Corbet's MBA" folder.

(You should read my reply to both you and x-virge, btw.)

You can use the Time Machine UI to browse the other backups in that backup store ("Backups.backupd" folder) by opening the TM menu, holding option, and choosing "Browse Other Backup Disks". (It says disks but means more.) You should see the other machine's backups in the window that appears.

However, you can't duplicate the old machine's backup in place; that is, you can't make a copy of "MacBook Air" in the same Backups.backupdb folder, because you can't modify that part of the backup in that way. If that's what you want to do, please file an enhancement request. (bugreport.apple.com)

Do I have that right? Is that what you wanted to do?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

natlampe posted:

You can't get the old, fat ones back, but you can get permanent scroll bars:
Preferences > General > Show scroll bars: Always

Oh yeah. I think this is like the first thing I enabled so I actually forgot that they disappear until people bring it up. I'm more upset in principle that they made the decision to make them fade out.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Oh yeah. I think this is like the first thing I enabled so I actually forgot that they disappear until people bring it up. I'm more upset in principle that they made the decision to make them fade out.
I agree. I think it ranks up there with the odd UX decision to make the traffic lights smaller. The clickable area is larger than the buttons would indicate, yes, but somehow it still feels slightly more difficult to hit the buttons.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Has anyone been having issues with Adium where it isn't receiving messages/replies from MSN/Windows Live Messenger? I have done some searching on the net, but only finding old tickets logged with Adium. I am using version 1.4.2.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh. Some weird bug where the on-screen keyboard would pop up and reappear every time I hit any key. I finally button mashed enough settings to get it to not do this.

I guess it's not unexpected for a first release, but Lion is a lot buggier than I remember any of the other major revisions being in week one :(

I've had coreservicesd, Finder, Dock, and systemUIServer.agent all segfault since I installed, some repeatedly..

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

You Am I posted:

Has anyone been having issues with Adium where it isn't receiving messages/replies from MSN/Windows Live Messenger? I have done some searching on the net, but only finding old tickets logged with Adium. I am using version 1.4.2.

Stuff in the next release doesn't sound like what you are talking about, has some other MSN changes:

http://adium.im/beta/

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

My Time Machine drive has been encrypting for over 12 hours now. :stare:

natlampe posted:

I agree. I think it ranks up there with the odd UX decision to make the traffic lights smaller. The clickable area is larger than the buttons would indicate, yes, but somehow it still feels slightly more difficult to hit the buttons.

Personally, I find the traffic lights to be superfluous and I wonder if Apple is de-emphasizing them with the idea of eventually removing them altogether. I can't remember the last time I ever actually minimized a window, what with Exposé / Mission Control / Spaces. Also, I've been using OS X since Panther and I have to confess that I am still not sure what the hell the green button is supposed to do other than behave differently for every drat application. The red button, for most of Apple's applications, just closes the active window. Like minimizing, I find this is pretty useless with Exposé/MC/Spaces.

Maybe I'm just odd, though? :downs:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No, I'm exactly the same way. I think the green button just makes an educated guess and tries to resize the window to some "sane" size given its immediate content or something like that. No idea, and I've been using it since the original 10.0 release.

Grr, bug in Mail.app where it won't let me expand certain conversations.

e: Oh, I guess it won't let you expand any [1>] conversations? That's kind of lame. It would be neat to be able to click through to the original message :mad:

e2: Yes, I know it will show them inline when I click on the [1>] message anyway.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 28, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Umm, in Console.app, how do I undo "Ignore Sender" in the main System Log query?

Like I ignored Finder but now I can't find any way to bring the Finder messages back?

e: Short of deleting ~/Library/Application Support/Console/ASLIgnoreList.plist, I mean.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 28, 2011

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Noticing a weird bug with waking from sleep and wifi - basically when I wake the computer from sleep, after a couple seconds the wifi status indicator will indicate a full-strength connection to my router, but the computer isn't able to send or receive any data (e.g., if you load a page in Safari, it gives the 'not connected to the internet' message). Oddly enough, when you open the wifi menu, it only shows my SSID and none of the other surrounding ones as normal. Turning wifi off and then back on clears up the issue.

I'm just curious if it's wide-ranging or tied to my individual hardware. I'm running an iMac 11,2 (21.5", mid-2010) and using an AEBS. Never had this issue with any version of Snow Leopard. Has anyone else had this issue?

Reporting it to Apple in any case.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Anybody got a lockup when starting to play a flash video? It's happened to me twice now, have to hard restart, nothing else is responsive even though you have control of the mouse.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1196498&highlight=

Edit: I'm scared to open flash videos now...

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I've had coreservicesd, Finder, Dock, and systemUIServer.agent all segfault since I installed, some repeatedly..
On an unrelated note, they updated the kernel panic screen. :suicide:

The traffic light thing doesn't really bother me, that's what keyboard shortcuts are for.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

MrEnigma posted:

Anybody got a lockup when starting to play a flash video? It's happened to me twice now, have to hard restart, nothing else is responsive even though you have control of the mouse.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1196498&highlight=

Edit: I'm scared to open flash videos now...

Check your Console log and see if coreservicesd segfaulted. I'm exhibiting similar symptoms: Retain mouse control, can drag windows around and interact with them, no keyboard input possible, apps just start crashing after interaction. Happened once when I tried to open QuickTime with Perian (admittedly unsupported thus far) and once yesterday, though I forgot what I was doing at the time.

Lazyhound posted:

The traffic light thing doesn't really bother me, that's what keyboard shortcuts are for.

Yeah, honestly, I can probably count on two hands the number of times a month I actually use the traffic lights. I'm so used to just hitting cmd-w/cmd-q/cmd-h

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I wasn't going to mention it, but I just found out that Xcode puts a little line where an error / warning shows up in the scroll bar area. It's great to shove the scroll bar right to the error.

The resume app tips are good to know, tough.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Martytoof posted:

Check your Console log and see if coreservicesd segfaulted. I'm exhibiting similar symptoms: Retain mouse control, can drag windows around and interact with them, no keyboard input possible, apps just start crashing after interaction. Happened once when I tried to open QuickTime with Perian (admittedly unsupported thus far) and once yesterday, though I forgot what I was doing at the time.

Yeah, honestly, I can probably count on two hands the number of times a month I actually use the traffic lights. I'm so used to just hitting cmd-w/cmd-q/cmd-h

Can't find a segfault.

Both times it's happened have been with flash, but with something else going on in the background. This time I was updating two apps from the app store. I'll try to isolate it better next time.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

MrEnigma posted:

Can't find a segfault.

Both times it's happened have been with flash, but with something else going on in the background. This time I was updating two apps from the app store. I'll try to isolate it better next time.
Try disabling Flash hardware acceleration, maybe? Alternately, switch to the 10.4 beta.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mikey-San posted:

(You should read my reply to both you and x-virge, btw.)

You can use the Time Machine UI to browse the other backups in that backup store ("Backups.backupd" folder) by opening the TM menu, holding option, and choosing "Browse Other Backup Disks". (It says disks but means more.) You should see the other machine's backups in the window that appears.

However, you can't duplicate the old machine's backup in place; that is, you can't make a copy of "MacBook Air" in the same Backups.backupdb folder, because you can't modify that part of the backup in that way. If that's what you want to do, please file an enhancement request. (bugreport.apple.com)

Do I have that right? Is that what you wanted to do?

Thanks for all your help. That's exactly what I wanted to do, make new backups in the old folder when all my older backups. Being able to option select the disk will suffice for now. I doubt I'll really need anything from the old backups.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
What's the consensus pick on virtualization these days? VMWare or Parallels?

Primary use is going to be Windows games that aren't terribly graphics intensive, and the occasional simple Windows app I'm too lazy to reboot for.

Both are able to just run an existing Boot Camp partition these days, right?

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Has anyone had problems with mplayerx since upgrading to lion? Mine won't play videos anymore, it just says the file format is not supported. I've tried deleting and reinstalling and the same thing happens.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I've had one video it couldn't recognize, but otherwise it works perfectly. Is VLC working for you?

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!
Lion's new python libraries broke some weird scientific package that only works with Python 2.6.7, so I've installed 2.6.7 (along with numpy and scipy) through MacPorts in its own little directory. Without really thinking about it, I followed the prompt and did

sudo port select python python26

When I type python into Terminal, I wind up in the MacPorts python 2.6.7, which is exactly what that command was supposed to do.

However, now I'm paranoid that I've perhaps prevented OSX from accessing its own built-in python. Nothing has obviously broken, but I can't figure out a way to make python go back to the system python, and the MacPorts documentation doesn't help.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

mike- posted:

Has anyone had problems with mplayerx since upgrading to lion? Mine won't play videos anymore, it just says the file format is not supported. I've tried deleting and reinstalling and the same thing happens.

Working fine for me. Is it having trouble with a specific format, or will it not play anything you've tried?

DigitalChaos
Aug 18, 2003

You Am I posted:

For those who don't like the new tab behaviour in Safari 5.1, here is an add-on that will help fix most of the issues (except for middle mouse click for new tab, still does the new behaviour for that):

http://canisbos.com/linkthing
When you did a migrate, did you only migrate the user accounts, or did you do the applications as well? Cos if you migrated the applications, then that's where your issues are.

i migrated everything, that was the default option plus I wanted most of my apps.

TextEdit and Preview come with OSX. Was apple seriously unable to handle a migration between 10.6 and 10.7 with their own apps and their default migration options???

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

Xandu posted:

I've had one video it couldn't recognize, but otherwise it works perfectly. Is VLC working for you?

VLC is working fine, but MplayerX will only play a couple files, and it won't play things I know it worked with before I updated. It's pretty strange.

With some experimentation, it seems like I have a lot of video files that don't show an extension. I'm pretty sure this wasn't the case before lion. If I try to open them with mplayerx it won't work, while VLC can play them just fine. If I add a .mkv to the end of the filename it will open up in mplayerx.

mike- fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 28, 2011

DigitalChaos
Aug 18, 2003

DigitalChaos posted:

Just figured out what was going on here if anyone has the same issue.

The Documents folder is a simlink on my machine (i created it). For some reason these apps hate it. I had to rename/delete the simlink, launch the app, delete the newly created Documents folder that was created, then rename/restore the simlink back the way it was. Repeat this for each problematic app or just start each of them up while you have the nonsimlink folder.

After the first startup without a simlink folder they work just fine going forward (with or without a simlinked Documents folder).

no idea why but hey... its fixed!

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I've been sticking to Mac OS on my Pro for the past couple of days (instead of Win7).

I gotta say, Mission Control + multitouch gestures to swap between spaces + full screen apps as spaces make multitasking on a laptop much more enjoyable.

e: Also, why the hell don't 3 finger gestures for forward/backward work in Finder?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

shodanjr_gr posted:

e: Also, why the hell don't 3 finger gestures for forward/backward work in Finder?
And why isn't Finder full screen!

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

CaptainPsyko posted:

What's the consensus pick on virtualization these days? VMWare or Parallels?

Primary use is going to be Windows games that aren't terribly graphics intensive, and the occasional simple Windows app I'm too lazy to reboot for.

Both are able to just run an existing Boot Camp partition these days, right?

I think the consensus is Parallels for speed, VMware for reliability. Both will run a Boot Camp partition, though disk access is slower than a regular VM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

natlampe posted:

Tried "Export..."? I think it's basically just a renamed "Save As".

Yeah, pretty much. I bet there was a senior UX designer who has always been annoyed at Save As... Either you're duplicating it and changing the file name, which should be done in the Finder, or you're changing file format, which is technically an Export. I hate purists sometimes, but this is ok. Save As... is most commonly used for versioning, which is now built in to 10.7 apps, so it's redundant.

They left Save As... in Keynote, so they aren't abandoning the concept anyway.