Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

The two most irritating ads on right now:

1) The car ad where it's a little girl in the driver's seat, fidgeting around while her dad lectures her, until he gives her the keys and she's actually a teenager (a 20-something teenager) and she drives off.

The dad in this drives me crazy; he seems really overprotective and controlling, and reminds me too much of my dad and brings up memories of troubles I've had with him. Inspiring thoughts of familial problems is not a good way to sell cars.

2) The Thrive tablet ad, where the guy picks up a tablet box, and suddenly the camera starts swinging around him in a wild 360 degree spin, while singers and cheerleaders come out and he's doused with champagne and celebrated, and the tagline is "The tablet done right."

Let's ignore that this ad's spinning actually makes me a little dizzy, and concentrate on the fact that it's complete garbage. Most of the bad ads in this thread at least address their product in some fashion, showing you the item in question or telling you what it does or how it looks or what it tastes like. This one doesn't give you the courtesy; you get 25 seconds of pointless spinning while random people in matching outfits laud some doofus for picking up a box, a brief shot of the tablet, and the tagline. Even the reviled and pretentious iPad and Kindle ads at least display or talk about what the loving thing does. Toshiba instead decided that "PEOPLE WILL LOVE YOU IF YOU BUY OUR THING! IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT IT DOES! LOOK AT THIS rear end in a top hat, THESE PEOPLE loving ADORE HIM!" was a better way to hock their crap.

And if you can't even be bothered to show how great your loving product is, you have some brass balls to claim it's the best version on the market. What does "done right" even mean here? Are the competing tablets made of twigs and mud? Do they immediately burst into flames the first time they're turned on? Where do you get off being so goddam smug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

OfDeathandTaverns posted:

this ad might be worse than that Victoria's Secret ad from a few years ago that had a limerick that rhymed air with air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFYryDW9f_4

It's the Geico commercial that says "does it take two to tango?" and then completely misunderstands the point of the adage by showing three people trying to tango. The whole point of the saying is that there are some things you cannot do on your own. So the ad should be showing one person trying to tango.

I don't think you get the joke. The line of ads have phrases that they take literally. There's another based on "the pen is mightier than the sword" and "dogs chase cats".

Sanschel posted:

1) The car ad where it's a little girl in the driver's seat, fidgeting around while her dad lectures her, until he gives her the keys and she's actually a teenager (a 20-something teenager) and she drives off.

And if you can't even be bothered to show how great your loving product is, you have some brass balls to claim it's the best version on the market. What does "done right" even mean here? Are the competing tablets made of twigs and mud? Do they immediately burst into flames the first time they're turned on? Where do you get off being so goddam smug?

I think you're reaching. The ad is probably pretty rooted in reality, where the dad still sees his daughter as his "little girl" and it's difficult to accept she's growing up. He gave her the keys and told her to be safe, there was no overprotective or controlling aspects besides a father sending his daughter on one of her first driving trips alone.

And the second ad a ton of companies don't actually sell how good their product is but a general "we're the best" or even a wacky zany scenerio. If you're against this ad you probably are against 80% of the ads out today.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Oraculum Animi posted:

If you're against this ad you probably are against 80% of the ads out today.

This thread exists for a reason, ya know.

ZeroPrimal
Feb 24, 2010

The slave becomes the master.
Who thought this was a good idea?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpMHf7iL-P4

This jingle plays relentlessly during the local news here in Oklahoma.:suicide:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

raditts posted:

I just saw this on TV, and I definitely did not see the end coming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxW_ZCd64tg

That's actually kind of funny. What channel/timezone did you see that on? I can't imagine them ever playing it around here, people would be up in arms.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

100 Years in Iraq posted:

That's actually kind of funny. What channel/timezone did you see that on? I can't imagine them ever playing it around here, people would be up in arms.

I saw it last night during the Soup, that 10pm and E! so a pretty safe time.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
New favorite commercial (that will never air on TV here in the US):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvgYAwDORo4

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Gonz posted:

New favorite commercial (that will never air on TV here in the US):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvgYAwDORo4

Edit: Nvm, didn't see spoof.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sanschel posted:

The dad in this drives me crazy; he seems really overprotective and controlling, and reminds me too much of my dad and brings up memories of troubles I've had with him. Inspiring thoughts of familial problems is not a good way to sell cars.

I'm pretty sure they didn't take your personal abusive upbringing, and the way you could somehow associate it here, in mind when they were making the commercial.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The new Pepsi commercial is already annoying me and I've only seen it twice so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5pJ5a7EYVw

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Sporadic posted:

The new Pepsi commercial is already annoying me and I've only seen it twice so far.

There is no way that is real. Or Pepsi's ad people are stuck in the 90s. It seems so old, the music, the animation, the "humor". Just seem so dated.

Here is Old Navy's latest pile:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajto189g0Og

It's got terrible music, excruciating vocals, bad lines, and a corny as hell joke. However, it looks like it came out this year.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sporadic posted:

I don't think this commercial is any more terrible than most commercials but it bugs me that it's that dark during summer in the arctic.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Oraculum Animi posted:

I think you're reaching. The ad is probably pretty rooted in reality, where the dad still sees his daughter as his "little girl" and it's difficult to accept she's growing up. He gave her the keys and told her to be safe, there was no overprotective or controlling aspects besides a father sending his daughter on one of her first driving trips alone.

Besides, the little girl is cute:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Just caught a WellTabs commercial.

Feeling down? Are you depressed? Take WellTabs and feel better. Are you NOT feeling down or depressed? Take WellTabs and feel your best. Call now for a free sample!

Um, yeah. "First one's free", eh?

But wait, "Well Tabs are the only product available with Positive Mood Technology!"

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

That loving AT&T "guy who screws up the flash mob" commercial.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Does any one else hate the new old spice guy?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Cup of Hemlock posted:

That loving AT&T "guy who screws up the flash mob" commercial.

Who the gently caress sends time sensitive critical info like that in a god drat pdf?

Tunnelman
Feb 28, 2010

aaag air flow

J33uk posted:

Who the gently caress sends time sensitive critical info like that in a god drat pdf?

Who the gently caress participates in flash mobs anymore?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Mister Kingdom posted:

But wait, "Well Tabs are the only product available with Positive Mood Technology!"

Bullshit. What about Arby's, huh, snake oil company?!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tunnelman posted:

The same kind of person who thinks PDF attachments are cool.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

Sanschel posted:

You just know she's going off to pick up her scumbag boyfriend and blow him in Daddy's car.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Darth Freddy posted:

He's not as good but I do have to laugh at it being Fabio.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The biggest problem with the little girl car commercial is that you can hear the car running for the whole commercial, but she doesn't get the keys and start it up till the end.

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

I really did not like Direct TV's That's The TRUTH TRUTH commercials, and nothing will ever top the russian guy, but I don't mind the current one with the football loving businessman and his 50 yard line wall. And his silver football. And a gold football too!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Alberto Basalm posted:

I really did not like Direct TV's That's The TRUTH TRUTH commercials, and nothing will ever top the russian guy, but I don't mind the current one with the football loving businessman and his 50 yard line wall. And his silver football. And a gold football too!

I don't like this commercial. It's like they were trying to make an "old spice guy" style commercial but instead of being cool he is just annoying. It is easy to ignore though, which is one of the best qualities a commercial can have.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 30, 2011

MillionsV
Jun 11, 2010

DJExile posted:

He's not as good but I do have to laugh at it being Fabio.

It's my understanding that the whole "Fabio is the new Old Spice guy" is a shadow campaign. They're encouraging people to RAAAGGGEEE until the old Old Spice guy makes a (already fully developed and probably filmed) "come back."

Watch the Fabio ad(s) again, and the faux-rivalry becomes really obvious.

That is why they are ads I hate.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MillionsV posted:

It's my understanding that the whole "Fabio is the new Old Spice guy" is a shadow campaign. They're encouraging people to RAAAGGGEEE until the old Old Spice guy makes a (already fully developed and probably filmed) "come back."

Watch the Fabio ad(s) again, and the faux-rivalry becomes really obvious.

That is why they are ads I hate.

However, it has led to Isaiah Mustafa (EDIT: Both of them, oh god hahaha) posting a ton of new responses to tweets on their Youtube page :toot:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Darth Freddy posted:

I'm not sure why anyone wants to put Fabio on television anymore, his face looks like loving silly putty.

Tunnelman posted:

http://www.fox.com/mobbed/

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 28, 2011

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Any Papa Gino's commercial with a doorbell in it. It sounds exactly like my doorbell and it sends my dog into loving hysterics every time it comes on. She's fine with most TV doorbells but that's the only one that sounds exactly like the one that means OMG INTRUDERS MUST BARK gently caress gently caress JESUS.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alberto Basalm posted:

Their new one with the "Whale" is also god-awful. It seems like it was written for Ken Jeong but since he's too popular now its just some other short Asian man talking with a high pitched voice.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Their new one with the "Whale" is also god-awful. It seems like it was written for Ken Jeong but since he's too popular now its just some other short Asian man talking with a high pitched voice.

I believe that asian man is Dat Phan. A horrible, horrible comedian where his whole gimmick was sounding like his extremely asian parents

Parachute
May 18, 2003

GutBomb posted:

Any Papa Gino's commercial with a doorbell in it. It sounds exactly like my doorbell and it sends my dog into loving hysterics every time it comes on. She's fine with most TV doorbells but that's the only one that sounds exactly like the one that means OMG INTRUDERS MUST BARK gently caress gently caress JESUS.

My dogs, who have never lived with a doorbell in their entire lives, bark at this commercial non-stop.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
I think there is also a 70's version of this, but its basically an endless stream(provided you keep clicking on the next highest number,(i'm up to 240) of commercials from the 80's.

Sure, I'm probably crazy for being entranced by this, but the level of crazy needed to have both recorded all this and then transferred to computer and then thus to youtube represents a serious obsession. An obsession that none of us on something awful will ever smell like due to personal hygiene neglect that this kind of dedication implies.

http://www.youtube.com/user/80sCommercialVault

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Clamknuckle posted:

You just know she's going off to pick up her scumbag boyfriend and blow him in Daddy's car.

I hope the seats weren't leather.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FetusSlapper posted:

I think there is also a 70's version of this, but its basically an endless stream(provided you keep clicking on the next highest number,(i'm up to 240) of commercials from the 80's.

Sure, I'm probably crazy for being entranced by this, but the level of crazy needed to have both recorded all this and then transferred to computer and then thus to youtube represents a serious obsession. An obsession that none of us on something awful will ever smell like due to personal hygiene neglect that this kind of dedication implies.

http://www.youtube.com/user/80sCommercialVault

Those are remarkably good transfers, too. The tapes those were on must not have been touched since the 80s.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Heh did anyone else notice the directtv stockbroker guy had a house arrest ankle bracelet on?

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

This kind of goes back to the woman screaming about the cell phone spider.

Fred Meyer is the Pacific Northwest branch of Kroger, and they are doing these horrible commercials, super low budget, featuring "price blasters." I've seen three or four different variations, but they all make some loving annoying sound right at the start of the commercial. One is a UFO making an alarm type sound.

Why make a commercial that seems to set out to make people wanna change the channel?

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
All of the commercials with this smug rear end in a top hat piss me off
[img]http://i.imgur.com/b9jz3.jpg[/url][/img]

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

The new Always Sunny in Philadelphia commercials are really funny. I can't find them on youtube, but if you can find them somewhere, don't skip them. They are really well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!
Shut the front door? No, I want to shut my TV off every time that stupid family eats some Oreo fudge creme cookies and exclaims a silly phrase that sounds like it could be slightly naughty but really isn't. They can go Franklin Delano themselves. :v: