Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Adam Reed is the most quotable comedy writer of our young generation. As Bill Simmons would say in that nasally kiddie toucher voice of his, no one denies this. His dialogue is so loving sharp and memorable that the thread for his latest show, Archer, will occasionally turn into a quote fest from his other shows: Frisky Dingo and (less frequently) Sealab 2021.

Aatrek's foot came down on this issue, so in the interest of keeping the Archer thread on topic, here's a separate topic for Reed's other two shows.

(Wikipedia)

This is a goof on Hanna-Barbera's terrible Sealab 2020 (which I believe was created by Alex Toth, who also created the Space Ghost character). The original show lasted 13 episodes on NBC and followed the crew of an undersea research facility as they battled the elements and the worst instincts of human nature. Typical Hanna-Barbera adventure stuff.

2021 picks up a year after the series, and posits that all that time spent cut off from normal society has left the crew batshit insane and unfit for duty. If there's one episode that defines what the show is all about, it's the legendary "I, Robot", wherein a malfunction in a critical life support system threatens to destroy the entire facility. Faced with this threat, the principal crew promptly ignores it and debates the merits and consequences of putting their brain into a robot body. This episode has been memorized, line for line, by more people than you want to believe are out there. And it was only the third episode to air; it gets even better (though it's universally agreed that Sealab never recovered after Harry Goz, who voiced Captain Murphy, left the show. And the planet.)

For the uninitiated, there's not much I can tell you about what makes it great beyond "deadpan insanity". Everything is in the intangibles; the chemistry, the sharp delivery of the lines that this thread will doubtlessly be quoting and requoting. Even today, it feels fresh and unique. The same can be said for...

(Wikipedia)

It starts out as a riff on the relationship between superhero and supervillain. It soon becomes an absurdist satire of a 24-hour news cycle-dominated culture. And then the characters go to Las Vegas ("I like to call it 'Lost Wages'.") and everything just goes to glorious Hell. The series ended on a cliffhanger, lamented more for promise unfulfilled rather than where it left the characters. (There were two episodes of a spinoff series produced that Reed had nothing to do with. Titled The X-Tacles after the squad backing up protagonist of the series, it's still memorable for making "Rapier Ape" a thing.)

Great shows, both of them. Well worth watching if you've never seen them, and practically required viewing if you're a fan of Reed's current series, Archer.

The floor is yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I was in Las vegas with my buddy, and our randomly assigned rental car was a Scion TC. Unfortunatly, we did not have an ant-farm keyboard

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The reason Harry Goz left Sealab was because he was dead. Sometime between two seasons he passed away, and that's why they had to substitute in the coach character as the new Captain.

The first 2-3 seasons of Sealab are some of my favorite seasons of any AS show ever. Some great classics in there.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The Bizarro episode of Sealab is one of the most absurd and hilarious things I've ever seen.

demons_souls
Jul 8, 2010

by Duchess Gummybuns

Whizbang posted:

The Bizarro episode of Sealab is one of the most absurd and hilarious things I've ever seen.

Same.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Didn't Sealab debut the weekend after 9/11? I remember being in such a funk, turning on CN and being loving bewildered.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

Rhyno posted:

Didn't Sealab debut the weekend after 9/11? I remember being in such a funk, turning on CN and being loving bewildered.

Close, there were four episodes that ran in November 2000, and it was part of the official AS debut on September 2, 2001 (according to Wikipedia). I remember being up late and painting some Warhammer 40k stuff and being blown away by the absurd cartoons that appeared on my TV. I was a fan of SGC2C so Sealab and its' ilk were right up my street.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rhyno posted:

This episode guide says that the 2nd official episode of the 1st season aired a week after 9/11.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sealab_2021_episodes

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rhyno posted:

It actually debuted in 2000, though for all I know it was in a different capacity than AS.

The first episode to run after 9/11 was "Predator", which I remember nothing about, actually.

Also, FlamingLiberal. Read my bit about Goz again.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

DivisionPost posted:

The first episode to run after 9/11 was "Predator", which I remember nothing about, actually.

That's one of my favorite episodes, I remember the Indian doctor going into a rambling diatribe to Quinn about the titular being in regard to someone's face being eaten off.

Quinn: Where's his...face?
Dr. Virjay: I would say it's in the monster's belly or, somewhere lower in the gastrointestinal canal, if in fact that monster does have one of those. I don't know. I don't know the anatomy of a monster. I know human beings and some of the larger canines.

:haw:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Predator is also great for Murphy's absolutely monstrous plan to lure the alien into a trap by strapping raw steaks onto Dolphin Boy.

That being said, the "Uh Oh!" episode is one of my favorites, but it drives my wife into a psychotic frenzy.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Lost in Time is another great episode. Honestly never really cared for Sealab past the first season

edit: oh I lied, I like seasons 1 and 2, it was after that I didn't much care for it

tofes fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 28, 2011

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

bunnyofdoom posted:

I was in Las vegas with my buddy, and our randomly assigned rental car was a Scion TC. Unfortunatly, we did not have an ant-farm keyboard

Lost Wages?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

tofes posted:

Lost in Time is another great episode. Honestly never really cared for Sealab past the first season

edit: oh I lied, I like seasons 1 and 2, it was after that I didn't much care for it

Yeah, I started to lose interest once it started relying a lot on their own animation.

Fusebox is a really fantastic episode too.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I have the entire run of Sealab and Frisky Dingo on my DVR. Thinking about zapping the post-Goz Sealab stuff off of there just for storage considerations.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
What's that? Dart in your neck!

Was anyone else totally surprised when they found out that Stormy was played by this guy?

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
The voice actor who played Tornado Shanks is actually Harry Goz's son.

As far as greatest Sealab episode, gently caress there's too many-- but I'd have to put either Radio Free Sealab or Der Dieb as my personal favorite. And be honest, am I the only one who always mentally quotes Kommissar Murphy whenever Marxism is discussed?

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Geddy Krueger posted:

Was anyone else totally surprised when they found out that Stormy was played by this guy?

"I gotta have that dick!"

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

My absolute favorite episode of Sealab is "7211", just for the payoff at the end.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
How the hell is a Scion TC a real thing.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

OOOOOOOOHHHHH YOU BIG BLACK SONOFABITCH

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

My favorite episode is either "Der Dieb" or "Feast of Alvis." My friends and I actually celebrate the Feast of Alvis the Saturday before Christmas, where traditionally we get as drunk as possible and shoot guns.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I actually really liked the Monkey Banana Raffle, Shrabster, and Moby Sick. The loss of Murphy was sad and really changed the show but I still enjoyed the second half of Season 3 and 4.

nonatomic retain
May 25, 2003
[[title alloc] init];
title.value = @"Title";
[title show:(GLKView*) view];
[title dealloc];
title = nil;
Hang on guys, I'm gonna go get... goblin army.

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

Geddy Krueger posted:

Stimutacs is truly the greatest episode, and this is my favorite line from it.

Also, I am incredibly surprised! This is hilarious. I've got to find some video of this guy talking on TV.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

I had no idea that Sealab 2021 was made by the Frisky Dingo guy. I only saw one episode, but now I'll have to see more. Frisky Dingo is probably the funniest thing on Adult Swim .

ChairmanMeow posted:

No idea, but I do know that it's all like Ka-KOW!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Brother of Agamemnon...!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

ChairmanMeow posted:

Verl! VERL!

Also, on a different note, what's this "slideshow" thing everyone's doing?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

Sensible posted:

Hang on guys, I'm gonna go get... goblin army.

There's...he's not gonna get a goblin army!

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
The idea for Sealab is probably the most creative thing Adult Swim ever made. There have been and are better shows, but there's some kind of pure and simple genius behind its creation.

The best part is casting Eric Estrada as Marco. I remember hearing an interview (I think it was on MTV) where some guy from 70/30 was talking and said that when they were starting Sealab, one of the producers pointed at Marco and said "You know what would be smart? Make that guy Latino." And evidently Eric Estrada wasn't doing much that day!

(as is the case everyday)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ChairmanMeow posted:

That 18-34 demographic you love so much DETESTS being pitched to!!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Pod Six is jerks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chopper Dave we have uh oh, over......

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

Phat_Albert posted:

Chopper Dave we have uh oh, over......

UH OH!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Scion TCs aren't even that cheap for what they are.

I guess they have to amortize the cost of paying for Frisky Dingo.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Why are we all ignoring that episode where Murph's trapped under a vending machine for months.

"What's that Ben? You're pregnant!"

Edit: Also, Marco's top two lines.

"Would I have the strength of a gorilla?"

"I have the strength of a bear that has the strength of two bears!"

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
This is a nice thread. Is it really Babar's House?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Tigerbot Hesh, motherfuckers

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Strange Matter posted:

The idea for Sealab is probably the most creative thing Adult Swim ever made. There have been and are better shows, but there's some kind of pure and simple genius behind its creation.

The idea of an old cartoon that went horribly wrong afterwards is pretty good when it's done well. That's part of why I love The Venture Bros so much (even if I am in the UK where we're still waiting for season 4), since I enjoyed The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest as a kid, and I just love the idea of a show that asks "what if Jonny grew up and failed miserably?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Benagain posted:

Why are we all ignoring that episode where Murph's trapped under a vending machine for months.

"What's that Ben? You're pregnant!"

Edit: Also, Marco's top two lines.

"Would I have the strength of a gorilla?"

"I have the strength of a bear that has the strength of two bears!"

HELLLLOOO CONSUMERRRRRRR

• Locked thread