Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

El Jackalope posted:

My co-worker is thinking of going back to Snow Leopard because some of the programs he needs to use are unfortunately older Rosetta based apps which won't run on Lion. I've heard of Lion Server being able to run VMs of 10.7, but I was wondering if it could run 10.6 in a VM environment so he can use older Rosetta apps? If so, how does one go about installing and running a 10.6 VM?
Buying Snow Leopard Server for $999 :downs: (that's the only 10.6 that's actually licensed to run in a VM...not that it's officially sold from them anymore afaik). People have been doing it with the client version for a while, this is old as hell but it might work. Follow the source link and look in the long comment thread, looks like people have successfully done it with more recent versions but I didn't check for details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

lelandjs posted:

Make changes to the file, hit duplicate, then save the duplicate to the desktop. If you want to keep the original the way it is, Preview (and other apps) allow for that—it even pops up a dialog asking you what you want to do with the original when you duplicate it. Not that you need to worry about that, because even if you do accidentally save modifications to the original you can always pop open versions and revert it.

If you close the windows before you quit, it shouldn't pop them back open when you open the program again.

Yeah no, none of this is correct.

If you make changes to the file and hit duplicate, you end up with a copy of the non-edited version. You have to edit the actual duplicate an then save it out, and god help you if you decide you want to save over the original file. And there is no dialog box asking what I want to do with the original when I Duplicate. It just does it.

And when I close all documents and exit Preview, the next time I open Preview by opening the edited document, ALL of them open.

This system is not intuitive at all. Maybe it needs some tweaking to make more sense, but its current implementation is crap.

Even having a "Save As..." option would make everything all better.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Lazyhound posted:

I think the consensus is Parallels for speed, VMware for reliability. Both will run a Boot Camp partition, though disk access is slower than a regular VM.

Gotcha. So, for light gaming, go with Parallels.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Wheres the option to turn off this loving silly "reopen your windows when you log back in" thing?

I found lots of people bitching about it during the beta but no answers :(

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here. Its enough of an anti-feature , and I cant remember doing it before that I'm guessing I turned on a "feature" thats doing this somewhere.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Accipiter posted:

Yeah no, none of this is correct.

If you make changes to the file and hit duplicate, you end up with a copy of the non-edited version. You have to edit the actual duplicate an then save it out, and god help you if you decide you want to save over the original file. And there is no dialog box asking what I want to do with the original when I Duplicate. It just does it.

And when I close all documents and exit Preview, the next time I open Preview by opening the edited document, ALL of them open.

This system is not intuitive at all. Maybe it needs some tweaking to make more sense, but its current implementation is crap.

Even having a "Save As..." option would make everything all better.
Again I must ask; what's wrong with 'Export'?

duck monster posted:

Wheres the option to turn off this loving silly "reopen your windows when you log back in" thing?
There are two solutions to this:

Disable (or enable) Resume by holding down the Option-key while you quit

If you hit the Option-modifier when you quit a program (ie. Command-Option-Q or using the menu), it'll not use Resume for that specific session. Conversely you can turn Resume off globally in the Preferences and only have it enabled whenever you Option quit out of a program.

I've got it turned off by default.

You can also use this method if you need even more control (I prefer the first method):

quote:

Disable Resume for single apps

In Lion, the new Resume feature (read more in our review) can be disabled upon quitting an app with a keyboard shortcut, or system-wide from System Preferences. If you wish to permanently disable Resume on app-by-app basis, you’ll have to enter a custom command in the Terminal for each app you don’t want to work with Resume. For example, “defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX NSQuitAlwaysKeepsWindows -bool false” (without quotes) will disable Resume in QuickTime Player. If you replace the “QuickTimePlayerX” portion of the command with another app’s identifier, Resume will be disabled in that app, with restart needed to take effect. Replace “false” with “true” to revert changes. An easy way to get an app identifier is to open it, launch Activity Monitor, search for it, select it and hit “Sample Process”; in the new window, Identifier will indicate the app’s ID you have to choose for this specific Terminal command. [via Wil Shipley]

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

duck monster posted:

I found lots of people bitching about it during the beta but no answers :(

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here. Its enough of an anti-feature , and I cant remember doing it before that I'm guessing I turned on a "feature" thats doing this somewhere.
To avoid resuming everything that was running when you last logged off just toggle the checkbox in the logoff/shutdown confirmation window.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

natlampe posted:

Again I must ask; what's wrong with 'Export'?

All it does is save a copy of the unedited image in whatever alternate format you ask of it.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Accipiter posted:

All it does is save a copy of the unedited image in whatever alternate format you ask of it.
Odd. Here is works exactly the same as "Save As" near as I can tell.

I just opened a .jpg, cropped and rotated it slightly and then exported it. It saved with the changes and used the previous file's filename and format by default, so that I could easily overwrite it had I wanted to. I also tried with a PDF and it also worked fine.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
Anyone else's "Caffeine" app no longer starting up automatically upon login under Lion?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Oneiros posted:

To avoid resuming everything that was running when you last logged off just toggle the checkbox in the logoff/shutdown confirmation window.

I think he's asking (or at least I am now) if there's a way to default this box to no.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Dan Hollis posted:

Anyone else's "Caffeine" app no longer starting up automatically upon login under Lion?
No issues here. You can add Caffine to your Login Items in System Preferences > Users & Groups.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Does anyone else have embedded Youtube videos crashing their macs since installing Lion?
That's with Firefox on a 2011 i5 iMac.
It's happens about once a day since I upgraded.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 28, 2011

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ziir posted:

I think he's asking (or at least I am now) if there's a way to default this box to no.

Ah, I thought it would stick but evidently not. I almost never log off or restart.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

wolffenstein posted:

No issues here. You can add Caffine to your Login Items in System Preferences > Users & Groups.

Fine here too for what it's worth.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Accipiter posted:

Not my experience testing this again just now. I printed a doc to PDF, opened in preview, added a signature and exported it, without saving the original. I then opened the exported copy and it contained my modification.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Teenage Fansub posted:

Does anyone else have embedded Youtube videos crashing their macs since installing Lion?
That's with Firefox on a 2011 i5 iMac.
It's happened about once a day since I upgraded.

Lots of people.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, pretty much. I bet there was a senior UX designer who has always been annoyed at Save As... Either you're duplicating it and changing the file name, which should be done in the Finder, or you're changing file format, which is technically an Export. I hate purists sometimes, but this is ok. Save As... is most commonly used for versioning, which is now built in to 10.7 apps, so it's redundant.

They left Save As... in Keynote, so they aren't abandoning the concept anyway.

Really? So I should be closing the doc that I'm working on, going to Finder, finding my doc, copying the file, changing the name, going back into the document again and keep working?

All instead of hitting Save as... when I'm right loving there already?

:jerkbag: unix guys.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Doctor Zero posted:

Really? So I should be closing the doc that I'm working on, going to Finder, finding my doc, copying the file, changing the name, going back into the document again and keep working?

Thank you for beating me to the punch.

Sometimes you just want to make one edit to a file and save it separate from the original. This is not some crazy unheard of bird-brained operation.

And this is just talking about Preview. What about other applications that lack both "Save As..." AND "Export..."? Like say, TextEdit for example. Here's a perfect example. Open TextEdit, create a simple document, and "Save..." it to the desktop. Now make a minor change to the file, and find a way to save it in the exact same format as a completely separate document with a separate filename. YOU CAN'T DO IT.

Accipiter fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 28, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Martytoof posted:

Is there no way to permanently delete an iOS app in iTunes? I bought some crappy apps that I never plan to use again, but every time I delete them iTunes seems to pop them back into the "Available iTunes Downloads" section.

Sorry, sorry, I was on my iPlod Douche while posting and couldn't edit my post.

Select the app, hold down Command-Option-Delete, and you will get this:

Select Move to Trash and that should permanently kill it from iTunes. Oh, and don't forget to empty the Trash just for good measure.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Accipiter posted:

Thank you for beating me to the punch.

Sometimes you just want to make one edit to a file and save it separate from the original. This is not some crazy unheard of bird-brained operation.

And this is just talking about Preview. What about other applications that lack both "Save As..." AND "Export..."? Like say, TextEdit for example. Here's a perfect example. Open TextEdit, create a simple document, and "Save..." it to the desktop. Now make a minor change to the file, and find a way to save it in the exact same format as a completely separate document with a separate filename. YOU CAN'T DO IT.

Pretty sure the File->Duplicate menu item will do it in TextEdit.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Accipiter posted:

Now make a minor change to the file, and find a way to save it in the exact same format as a completely separate document with a separate filename. YOU CAN'T DO IT.
Sure you can; duplicate then save.

You're absolutely right that it's an unneeded, extra step though. How does Pages handle this usecase?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

wdarkk posted:

Pretty sure the File->Duplicate menu item will do it in TextEdit.

"Duplicate" gives you two options:

1) Don't make any changes to the document, hit "Duplicate" and end up with two documents open - the original, and the new unsaved version.

2) Make your changes to the document, hit "Duplicate", receive a prompt asking what you want to do with the changes you've made. Choosing to continue will maintain the changes through to the new document, and you end up with two documents open. Choosing "Duplicate and Revert" changes the original back to how it was at the last save and carries the changes only to the duplicated version, and you end up with two documents open.

I reiterate: you can no longer simply open a document, make an edit, and save it as a different filename without going through the above ridiculous monkey business.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

japtor posted:

Buying Snow Leopard Server for $999 :downs: (that's the only 10.6 that's actually licensed to run in a VM...not that it's officially sold from them anymore afaik). People have been doing it with the client version for a while, this is old as hell but it might work. Follow the source link and look in the long comment thread, looks like people have successfully done it with more recent versions but I didn't check for details.

I was wondering about running Lion Server and if it would run a 10.6 VM though...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Doctor Zero posted:

All instead of hitting Save as... when I'm right loving there already?

I don't think so, but I'm saying there's probably some dude at Apple who's thinking exactly that.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

mllaneza posted:

I don't think so, but I'm saying there's probably some dude at Apple who's thinking exactly that.

Oh I see, sorry I misread your post. :cheers:

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

Lazyhound posted:

I think the consensus is Parallels for speed, VMware for reliability. Both will run a Boot Camp partition, though disk access is slower than a regular VM.

Can Fusion suspend a Boot Camp partition yet?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Accipiter posted:

Ugh. Hadn't even looked at other apps like TextEdit for this.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?
Does anyone have problems with Mail constantly reindexing your gmail accounts? Ever since I updated to SL and now to Lion, Mail is constantly indexing causing me to get locked out of my gmail account.

I've tried to delete the index file, deleting and re-adding the account, nothing works.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Sharrow posted:

Can Fusion suspend a Boot Camp partition yet?

Nope, not sure if that's doable in a safe way.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 28, 2011

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

I noticed that Cyberduck downloads much more than it needs to when transferring files from a server to my comp. Is there a way I can fix this or is this just something that happens with FTP clients?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The whole "no saving" thing seems to work a lot better in apps that don't make you deal with files at all. For instance, I kind of like the iPhoto way, where you click Duplicate on a photo, then make any changes to the duplicate version, and can rename it how you wish and move it around (within iPhoto).

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pertplus posted:

I noticed that Cyberduck downloads much more than it needs to when transferring files from a server to my comp. Is there a way I can fix this or is this just something that happens with FTP clients?

So how is Royal Pains, anyway?

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

I use the colored file labels quite a bit and I'm having this box randomly come up sometimes when I apply a color label to files. It's not every time, and it doesn't appear to make any difference where the file is located or what type of file, or the permissions on the file, it's just random.

I'm not sure the reason for it, since even if I click cancel the file still gets the colored label on it.

Also is there a way to stop apps from closing when they have no active windows? Preview and textedit keep closing and it's annoying me.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Did you disable indicator lights? That's probably why they're closing when there's no active windows.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
So, I never realized that the Reader button in Safari, in addition to unifying multipage articles, also circumvents the NYT paywall.

That's handy.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

CaptainPsyko posted:

So, I never realized that the Reader button in Safari, in addition to unifying multipage articles, also circumvents the NYT paywall.

That's handy.
The NYT paywall consists of a hilariously easy to circumvent CSS overlay. They want their Google page rank but still want you to pay.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

unruly posted:

The NYT paywall consists of a hilariously easy to circumvent CSS overlay. They want their Google page rank but still want you to pay.

Yeah, it's always been hilariously easy to circumvent.

This is even easier.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Oneiros posted:

Ah, I thought it would stick but evidently not. I almost never log off or restart.

Why on earth would they do this? :confused:

I love lion, but theres some god drat mystifying defaults in this thing.

I wonder if theres something under the hood to disable this godawful thing altogether. There really are not any situations i can think of where you'd need to hard boot and want to resume all 900+ adhd opened programs.

Especially so when a huge of the people out there wont have little blue dots under their programs to even tell them they are opened. Some folks are just going to have their computers slowing the gently caress down for no obvious reason, reboot to reclaim the machine and then it just slows down.

It honestly feels like some bits of lion are there because iOS , not because its a good idea.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 28, 2011

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I like it because I may have a ton of poo poo open and an upgrade pops up and wants to reboot, and I don't have to worry about losing my place on what I was doing.

Also Lion will claim the memory back just like iOS devices do once programs start getting updated to support it.

And why does everyone say the dots aren't under running programs in finder, my machine has them. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

Lazyhound posted:

Nope, not sure if that's doable in a safe way.

Parallels can :unsmith: