Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

:negative:

And Atom Ant was doing so well too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Vox, I am back. I updated Sir Hiss on the arena site. Thanks for holding me a spot. Damned weddings and honeymoon get in the way of my Dwarf Fortress Arena fighting fix.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jonis posted:

And here I thought an elf with a longsword actually might have been pretty dangerous. Guess I should have known better.
An elf using a longsword might have :catstare:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

Vox, I am back. I updated Sir Hiss on the arena site. Thanks for holding me a spot. Damned weddings and honeymoon get in the way of my Dwarf Fortress Arena fighting fix.

Perfect timing! At this point, everyone should get their builds in ASAP. Only some eight fighters remain unspec'd, and looking at the user names, it's mostly some of our more extensive testers who haven't quite locked things down.

Schneeble
May 4, 2010

The grandest hats
or GTFO.

Vox Nihili posted:

Perfect timing! At this point, everyone should get their builds in ASAP. Only some eight fighters remain unspec'd, and looking at the user names, it's mostly some of our more extensive testers who haven't quite locked things down.

Clearly they do not understand that testing is for the weak and timid. Just slap some points on a chassis and toss him in the pits! What's the worst that could happen? Your fighter gets knocked out in round one (as half of all fighters will) and you become a spectator until the next season ~six months from now?

That's why we have gambling!

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

In case you mean mine because I have a few points spare, I'm gambling on leaving some points for a little interest though I may change that if I lose my bottle but consider mine done for purposes of working out when to start.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Could do what I did and just get a halfway decent build, submit it for now, and then between the time before Vox announces his next fight, you can get a little extra testing in and hopefully come out a little better.

Besides, the "simple" builds are surprisingly deadly at times.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Personally I think all the testers should be loving murdered.

Cowards.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shorter Than Some posted:

In case you mean mine because I have a few points spare, I'm gambling on leaving some points for a little interest though I may change that if I lose my bottle but consider mine done for purposes of working out when to start.

Nah, I'm referring only to people who haven't spent a single point.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I'm about to give up and just leave my barely tested bowbold build in place. I've managed to find a couple melee kobold builds that can survive against the basic human swordsman 1 time in 7, maybe 1 in 6, but I can't seem to do better than that.

The trick is that you need to both have sufficient skill to not be parried in the first strike, and sufficient defenses-- either in shield skill or dodging, with preference for dodging --to not be killed on the first counterattack. It's a careful balance, and certain thresholds need to be met. Basically, there's just not enough points to manage it consistently enough.

For the next tourney, I'm going to campaign for giving tiny races a discount for weapon/shield skills, just like they get for dodging. Alternatively, just increase their points across the board (allowing better equipment, for example).

Iunnrais fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 28, 2011

Metamucil
May 10, 2011
I'm gonna campaign for moose men! :norway:

Edit: Sorry, I mean moose people. :)

Metamucil fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 28, 2011

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Iunnrais posted:

I'm about to give up and just leave my barely tested bowbold build in place. I've managed to find a couple melee kobold builds that can survive against the basic human swordsman 1 time in 7, maybe 1 in 6, but I can't seem to do better than that.

The trick is that you need to both have sufficient skill to not be parried in the first strike, and sufficient defenses-- either in shield skill or dodging, with preference for dodging --to not be killed on the first counterattack. It's a careful balance, and certain thresholds need to be met. Basically, there's just not enough points to manage it consistently enough.

For the next tourney, I'm going to campaign for giving tiny races a discount for weapon/shield skills, just like they get for dodging. Alternatively, just increase their points across the board (allowing better equipment, for example).

Even in the event of a massive die-off in the first round, I don't really see even more points as a likely route for helping the little guys. There are, however, other perks that I am looking into. The [NOSTUN] tag is an especially interesting option.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Vox Nihili posted:

I don't really see even more points as a likely route for helping the little guys.

Yeah, for sure. Adding more points just means the little guys will cap out on useful skills earlier than usual and have nothing left to spend their extra points on.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
The big perk for little guys is that they just get better and better in the tournament as it goes on in compared to big guys, who in comparison suffer a bit more from diminshing returns.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
I'm curious, what were the two Ant-Women's skills, or did they go into the fight unskilled?

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

VladTheEater posted:

Yeah, for sure. Adding more points just means the little guys will cap out on useful skills earlier than usual and have nothing left to spend their extra points on.

But then they get to clad themselves in adamantium everything. Having said that it was believed at one point in the last thread that armour thickness scales with the size of the creature using it, was that ever confirmed/is it still the case? If so that's a really unfortunate (if kinda realistic) feature which means the little guys which really need more protection get less for their money.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I'm curious, what were the two Ant-Women's skills, or did they go into the fight unskilled?

Atom Ant in Adamant's skills were:

Level 3 Fighting (90 points)
Level 4 Mace (300 points)
Level 1 Biting (10 points)

And items:
Silver Flail (300 points)
Adamantine Helm (600 points)

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Atom Ant in Adamant's skills were:

Level 3 Fighting (90 points)
Level 4 Mace (300 points)
Level 1 Biting (10 points)

And items:
Silver Flail (300 points)
Adamantine Helm (600 points)

Okay, thank you. Did you buy the Adamantine helm because Ant-People have vulnerable heads or because it looks cool?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Okay, thank you. Did you buy the Adamantine helm because Ant-People have vulnerable heads or because it looks cool?

Several reasons. Vulnerable head, looks cool, and it also gave me a gimmick that worked with my fighter's name.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Why do they have vulnerable heads?

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

They don't, more than any other race anyway, he just doesn't want to admit that he spent 600 points on a gimmick ;)

Impressed with how effective the pick was, can lop off body parts and apparently pierce armour as well, very tempting...

e: and apparently I'm wrong.

Dirty Frank fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 28, 2011

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Why do they have vulnerable heads?

Instead of internal bones, ant women have external chitin. This means that they lack skulls entirely. For most purposes, the lack of bones means they suffer much less pain and their limbs aren't crippled as easily by bashing weapons. However, head shots can do them in with even greater ease than most species.

quote:

Impressed with how effective the pick was, can lop off body parts and apparently pierce armour as well, very tempting...

Picks aren't actually that great against armor after the raw changes. They still pierce inferior armor, though. Steel pick pierces bronze/iron armor, but will likely be deflected by steel armor.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 28, 2011

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Vox Nihili posted:

Instead of internal bones, ant women have external chitin. This means that they lack skulls entirely. For most purposes, the lack of bones means they suffer much less pain and their limbs aren't crippled as easily by bashing weapons. However, head shots can do them in with even greater ease than most species.

Okay, that makes sense, I might need to change something for my character.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Question: For large creatures able to wield 2-handed weapons 1-handed, are we allowed to arm them as such? A yeti with two 2-handed swords?

Does having a weapon in each hand really provide any benefit (attack opportunities, whatever) aside from having a backup if your weapon arm is crippled?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Well, Dies Horribly has been created on the Arena website, so I'm ready to go.

That fight was my first experience with the DF engine in about a year or so. Was I imagining it, or did dies actually wait around to ambush the dwarf? That's both hilarious and ethnically appropriate, two things it's nice to see Toady is still doing.

Looking forward to the upcoming fights, and losing all my hard earned dwarfbucks on poorly chosen bets.

On the topic of Dies equipment, I'm hoping high skill levels (in various... things) will overcome the shortcoming that is his chosen weapon.

Thus begins the legend of Dies Horribly, Goblin Sapper. In ur mines, collapsin ur tunnels.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Question: For large creatures able to wield 2-handed weapons 1-handed, are we allowed to arm them as such? A yeti with two 2-handed swords?

Does having a weapon in each hand really provide any benefit (attack opportunities, whatever) aside from having a backup if your weapon arm is crippled?

Yeah, you can use as many hands worth of weapons/shields as you have hands available. Supposedly a second weapon allows additional parrying chances and will probably give you a slightly higher chance of getting weapon attack opportunities, but I do not really have any definitive proof. I do know that you will definitely not attack faster overall.

The new combat system is notable for making it easier to cripple hands/feet, so it is very possible that your fighter might be disarmed after being stabbed in the hand or something, so a back-up weapon is more useful than before. I wouldn't waste too many points on that sort of thing early on, though.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Doing some odd random testing while on the IRC channel I found a pretty drat strange build that really seems to take advantage of dual-wielding; sword/bow melee. Unfortunetly it's an illegal build for the arena.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Revenant Threshold posted:

Unfortunetly it's an illegal build for the arena.

Not if you're a strangler or ant woman!

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Not if you're a strangler or ant woman!
True, but then I think you're better off just with not tying up an extra hand needlessly.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
The last six players who have not entered their builds have been sent an email reminder. Please get your builds together sometime today, if possible!

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009
You testers make me sick.

Bozikek
Jul 22, 2007
Dang it Dwarf, you were suppose to trance! Aw well, we all know who was the best fighter in this battle Royal.

Cretas Elfstomper will pour out Dwarven Ale for the honorable Biggs Manfighter, and will stomp the next Goblin he faces in his name!

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Bozikek posted:

Dang it Dwarf, you were suppose to trance! Aw well, we all know who was the best fighter in this battle Royal.

Cretas Elfstomper will pour out Dwarven Ale for the honorable Biggs Manfighter, and will stomp the next Goblin he faces in his name!

Martial trances only happen when a dwarf fights multiple enemies.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Also Goblin supremesy, suprimesy, suerpramecy... ARE THE BEST!

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

LCQC posted:

You testers make me sick.

There's nothing wrong with testing a build to see if it's any good, and to see if you can make it slightly better by getting a iron sword over a copper sword.
I will say that by now, the testers should at least have a build that is "good enough." There really are a lot of factors to take into this, and "the perfect build" isn't going to save you against that Yeti with a helm, armor, and lots of brawling that you forgot to test against.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I believe that these are the final results of the Battle Royale betting. If anyone thinks they see a mistake, please let me know, otherwise the player funds will be updated tonight to reflect this information.

code:
===============================================================
Fight: Brawl
Atom Ant in Adamant vs. Biggs Manfighter vs. Binary Mary vs. Crotch Rot vs. Dies Horribly vs. Grodimus Thunderbeard
---------------------------------------------------------------
Chump                  Champ                  Change     Payout
Tag Plastic            Atom Ant in Adamant       100       0.00
FiddlersThree          Atom Ant in Adamant       100       0.00
Ionnracht              Atom Ant in Adamant        50       0.00
Jazzimus               Atom Ant in Adamant       200       0.00
Samopsa                Atom Ant in Adamant       100       0.00
ChickenWing            Atom Ant in Adamant       200       0.00
Klokwurk               Atom Ant in Adamant       100       0.00
ZeeToo                 Atom Ant in Adamant        50       0.00
Maugrim                Biggs Manfighter          150       0.00
Bozikek                Biggs Manfighter          100       0.00
longgonejohn           Biggs Manfighter          200       0.00
HiHo ChiRho            Biggs Manfighter          300       0.00
Klokwurk               Biggs Manfighter          100       0.00
Gildiss                Biggs Manfighter          100       0.00
Podima                 Biggs Manfighter          100       0.00
ZeeToo                 Biggs Manfighter           50       0.00
Dallbun                Biggs Manfighter          100       0.00
Jimmy4400nav           Binary Mary               100       0.00
Tag Plastic            Binary Mary               100       0.00
Arrhythmia             Binary Mary               100       0.00
longgonejohn           Binary Mary               100       0.00
Orv                    Binary Mary               500       0.00
Goatie                 Binary Mary                10       0.00
ZeeToo                 Binary Mary                50       0.00
Silverminnow           Binary Mary               250       0.00
Vox Nihili             Binary Mary                50       0.00
Krysmphoenix           Crotch Rot                200       0.00
Jeans                  Crotch Rot                100       0.00
steinrokkan            Crotch Rot                 50       0.00
ChickenWing            Crotch Rot                200       0.00
Iunnrais               Crotch Rot                100       0.00
ZeeToo                 Crotch Rot                 50       0.00
RickVoid               Dies Horribly            1000    4428.31
Anchors                Dies Horribly              10      44.28
Synthorange            Dies Horribly             100     442.83
Pure kamikaze          Dies Horribly             100     442.83
Erakko                 Dies Horribly             200     885.66
Fredrik1               Dies Horribly             250    1107.08
Public Opinion         Grodimus Thunderbeard     150       0.00
goatface               Grodimus Thunderbeard     131       0.00
Boing                  Grodimus Thunderbeard     250       0.00
Jonis                  Grodimus Thunderbeard     500       0.00
AmadeusVonBlastoise    Grodimus Thunderbeard     150       0.00
Zarah                  Grodimus Thunderbeard     200       0.00
TheWhaler              Grodimus Thunderbeard     150       0.00
Dirty Frank            Grodimus Thunderbeard     100       0.00
Total                                           7351    7350.99
===============================================================

ADDITIONAL FIGHTER PARTICIPATION BONUS

+100.00 - RickVoid
 +10.00 - Podima
 +10.00 - Snake Fist
 +10.00 - Jazzimus Prime
 +10.00 - Smarms
 +10.00 - ThCawdor
edit: Wow, we posted our results at the exact same minute, even. I'll go ahead and go with rounding to whole numbers like you did, then.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 28, 2011

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

e: beaten, apparently, but there you have it!

code:
===========================================================
Fight: BRAWL
Atom Ant in Adamant vs. Biggs Manfighter vs. Binary Mary vs. Crotch Rot vs. Dies Horribly vs. Grodimus Thunderbeard
-----------------------------------------------------------
Chump                  Champ                  Change Payout
Tag Plastic            Atom Ant in Adamant       100      0
FiddlersThree          Atom Ant in Adamant       100      0
Ionnracht              Atom Ant in Adamant        50      0
Jazzimus               Atom Ant in Adamant       200      0
Samopsa                Atom Ant in Adamant       100      0
ChickenWing            Atom Ant in Adamant       200      0
Klokwurk               Atom Ant in Adamant       100      0
ZeeToo                 Atom Ant in Adamant        50      0
Maugrim                Biggs Manfighter          150      0
Bozikek                Biggs Manfighter          100      0
longgonejohn           Biggs Manfighter          200      0
HiHo ChiRho            Biggs Manfighter          300      0
Klokwurk               Biggs Manfighter          100      0
Gildiss                Biggs Manfighter          100      0
Podima                 Biggs Manfighter          100      0
ZeeToo                 Biggs Manfighter           50      0
Dallbun                Biggs Manfighter          100      0
Jimmy4400nav           Binary Mary               100      0
Tag Plastic            Binary Mary               100      0
Arrhythmia             Binary Mary               100      0
longgonejohn           Binary Mary               100      0
Orv                    Binary Mary               500      0
Goatie                 Binary Mary                10      0
ZeeToo                 Binary Mary                50      0
Silverminnow           Binary Mary               250      0
Vox Nihili             Binary Mary                50      0
Krysmphoenix           Crotch Rot                200      0
Jeans                  Crotch Rot                100      0
steinrokkan            Crotch Rot                 50      0
ChickenWing            Crotch Rot                200      0
Iunnrais               Crotch Rot                100      0
ZeeToo                 Crotch Rot                 50      0
RickVoid               Dies Horribly            1000   4428
Anchors                Dies Horribly              10     44
Synthorange            Dies Horribly             100    443
Pure kamikaze          Dies Horribly             100    443
Erakko                 Dies Horribly             200    886
Fredrik1               Dies Horribly             250   1107
Public Opinion         Grodimus Thunderbeard     150      0
goatface               Grodimus Thunderbeard     131      0
Boing                  Grodimus Thunderbeard     250      0
Jonis                  Grodimus Thunderbeard     500      0
AmadeusVonBlastoise    Grodimus Thunderbeard     150      0
Zarah                  Grodimus Thunderbeard     200      0
TheWhaler              Grodimus Thunderbeard     150      0
Dirty Frank            Grodimus Thunderbeard     100      0
Total                                                  7351
===========================================================
Which will give everyone the following funds for round 1 (and if you're not on the list, you have precisely 1000 dorfbux to play with!)

code:
================================================================================
Chump                         Change   ||   Chump                         Change
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AmadeusVonBlastoise              850   ||   Anchors                         1034
Arrhythmia                       900   ||   Boing                            750
Bozikek                          900   ||   ChickenWing                      600
Dallbun                          900   ||   Dirty Frank                      900
Erakko                          1685   ||   FiddlersThree                    900
Fredrik1                        1857   ||   Gildiss                          900
goatface                         869   ||   Goatie                           990
HiHo ChiRho                      700   ||   Ionnracht                        950
Iunnrais                         900   ||   Jazzimus                         800
Jazzimus Prime                  1010   ||   Jeans                            900
Jimmy4400nav                     900   ||   Jonis                            500
Klokwurk                         800   ||   Krysmphoenix                     800
longgonejohn                     700   ||   Maugrim                          850
Orv                              500   ||   Podima                           910
Public Opinion                   850   ||   Pure kamikaze                   1342
RickVoid                        4428   ||   rickvoid                        1100
Samopsa                          900   ||   Silverminnow                     750
Smarms                          1010   ||   Snake Fist                      1010
steinrokkan                      950   ||   Synthorange                     1342
Tag Plastic                      800   ||   ThCawdor                        1010
TheWhaler                        850   ||   Vox Nihili                       950
Zarah                            800   ||   ZeeToo                           800
================================================================================

Bozikek
Jul 22, 2007

Martial trances only happen when a dwarf fights multiple enemies.

Fight report posted:

In the midst of all this, Dies Horribly sneaks up on Biggs as the dwarf pulverizes his kobold foe. How will the goblin fare?

Dies Horribly opens up on Biggs with a flanking strike! His steel pick cuts through the air in an instant, and lodges itself in- Biggs' shield!? The dwarf somehow blocks the surprise attack! Dies Horribly follows it up with another swing, but this is blocked as well! Simultaneously, Crotch Rot drags himself to his feet, just in time to jump away from another of Biggs' strikes! That the kobold, wracked with pain, managed to summon the will to avoid such a strike is incredible. Dies Horribly now aims an inconsequential punch at Biggs, which lands, bruising the dwarf's leg.

Does this not count as multiple enemies? I know it doesn't always happen, I was just hoping it would.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Bozikek posted:

Does this not count as multiple enemies? I know it doesn't always happen, I was just hoping it would.

My mistake sorry. It completely slipped my mind that you were talking about the battle royale I have just been so focussed with building against one on one matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I got the email saying my dude wasn't set up. He is now set up. Ready to fail spectacularly (I don't expect to make it past round one but I suspect that if I do, it'll be...quite something.)

• Locked thread