Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Viggen posted:

In before McFarlaine/SP rant by Motronic.

Wow, I had to look that up. I salute you for going one level geekier than I was able to reach for without the googles.

Edit: Dammit, new page. Have a preview of what can only become an impending disaster of my own creation:

Motronic fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Motronic posted:

Edit: Dammit, new page.
Wasn't the whole point of that silly sigtrap thread we had a while ago to get people to stop doing this?

What motor is that, and what is it going in? I'll just throw out the random 5.0 in a Ranger guess since those seem to be pretty popular here these days.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Epic Fail Guy posted:

I hate stunter faggots

Too bad the kind of catastrophic failure in that picture can't happen to them while they're blasting down the left shoulder at 130 MPH :smith:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Geoj posted:

Too bad the kind of catastrophic failure in that picture can't happen to them while they're blasting down the left shoulder at 130 MPH :smith:

This just happened in my area, 5 guys doing 90 past a cop nailed it to 100+ to run and 1-2 miles down the road, one broke, bounced in front of a semi, and his friend got shaken and bounced off a guardrail

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

tater_salad posted:

This just happened in my area, 5 guys doing 90 past a cop nailed it to 100+ to run and 1-2 miles down the road, one broke, bounced in front of a semi, and his friend got shaken and bounced off a guardrail

Don't certain patrol cars have superchargers for stuff like this (I imagine those chargers I see are pretty badass)? Still I wish a motorcycle crash on no-one. A friend told me about his cousin who (pretty gnarly, especially if you've been in a bike wreck before):After having a bike laid down, got road rash on his leg so bad that they had to take a wire brush to remove all the asphalt from the wound - they told him it was gonna hurt so bad that it would counter-act the morphine

-----

I'm subscribed to this dude on youtube. This month's edition features a ton of spectacular failures - generally on the driver's part. I'll warn you, though, if you don't particularly like seeing people hurt themselves, usually stupidly, then you might consider this :nms: (its not that bad, no gore and never anyone killed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrYQpMeHmMY

Its pretty tame for the most part, but I respect the fact that there are people more easily up-settable than me; not an entirely bad characteristic, empathy.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Scientist posted:

Don't certain patrol cars have superchargers for stuff like this (I imagine those chargers I see are pretty badass)? Still I wish a motorcycle crash on no-one. A friend told me about his cousin who (pretty gnarly, especially if you've been in a bike wreck before):After having a bike laid down, got road rash on his leg so bad that they had to take a wire brush to remove all the asphalt from the wound - they told him it was gonna hurt so bad that it would counter-act the morphine

My mom told me how she fell off her bicycle when she was a kid, she was wearing shorts and a t-shirt and she crashed downhill on a dirt road. They had to do the same thing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lowclock posted:

What motor is that, and what is it going in? I'll just throw out the random 5.0 in a Ranger guess since those seem to be pretty popular here these days.

It's a 4 liter Rover motor that is going to end up being a 4.6 with a significantly aggressive cam and some other goodies. I don't know what I'm going to put it in. Bodies to wrap it up in are a dime a dozen, since most people blow head gaskets/crack the block and just walk away from it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The Scientist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrYQpMeHmMY

Its pretty tame for the most part, but I respect the fact that there are people more easily up-settable than me; not an entirely bad characteristic, empathy.

5:15-Run, dude, run you're on fire! :drat:

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

The Scientist posted:

After having a bike laid down, got road rash on his leg so bad that they had to take a wire brush to remove all the asphalt from the wound - they told him it was gonna hurt so bad that it would counter-act the morphine

Oh god, the memories. I had this happen, to a lesser degree. I slid out on a bike (pedal bike, not motorcycle) while wearing shorts and scraped the poo poo out of my knee. The wound was caked in asphalt and the nurse at the ER used what I can only describe as a scotchbright pad soaked in iodine to scrub it out. It was easily the most painful thing I've ever experienced.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

lazer_chicken posted:

Oh god, the memories. I had this happen, to a lesser degree. I slid out on a bike (pedal bike, not motorcycle) while wearing shorts and scraped the poo poo out of my knee. The wound was caked in asphalt and the nurse at the ER used what I can only describe as a scotchbright pad soaked in iodine to scrub it out. It was easily the most painful thing I've ever experienced.

hard nylon brush has been the best and most forgiving tool in my experience.
it's easy enough that you can do it by yourself and doesn't tear away too much flesh like the brass brushes or scrubby pads do.
(urgh scrubbing coral out of my knee with a grill brush was the worst)

That and a handfull of morton's and you're good to go till you find a suitable bandage and some ointment.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

The Scientist posted:

Don't certain patrol cars have superchargers for stuff like this (I imagine those chargers I see are pretty badass)?

According to my cop friends, most (or all) of those Chargers are V6's.

Unlikely to have a supercharger when they could just spring for the V8 instead. Cops don't care about speed in their cars anyway. As the saying goes: Nothing outruns a Motorola.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
That, and no supercharged Crown Victoria or Charger is going to be able to keep up with a sport bike, let alone catch up with one after they've already blown by.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The Scientist posted:

Don't certain patrol cars have superchargers for stuff like this (I imagine those chargers I see are pretty badass)? Still I wish a motorcycle crash on no-one. A

Thr officer was going to start pursuit but stopped when they punched it, for the safety of the bikes

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Does anyone else get a slight :gonk: feeling when they find a random wheelnut/bolt lying in the road?

Motronic posted:

It's a 4 liter Rover motor that is going to end up being a 4.6 with a significantly aggressive cam and some other goodies. I don't know what I'm going to put it in. Bodies to wrap it up in are a dime a dozen, since most people blow head gaskets/crack the block and just walk away from it.
Looks like you've got yourself a Thor with the Motronic system there. Just bear in mind if it's a 4.0, you probably don't get the cross-bolted mains, I think only the factory 4.6s get those.

Any particular reason for doing it? I've always believed that the only reason the Rover holds sway in the UK is availability and nostalgia, the US has so many V8s that will make more power cheaper and more reliably.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

InitialDave posted:

Does anyone else get a slight :gonk: feeling when they find a random wheelnut/bolt lying in the road?

Looks like you've got yourself a Thor with the Motronic system there. Just bear in mind if it's a 4.0, you probably don't get the cross-bolted mains, I think only the factory 4.6s get those.

Any particular reason for doing it? I've always believed that the only reason the Rover holds sway in the UK is availability and nostalgia, the US has so many V8s that will make more power cheaper and more reliably.

I believe when they went from the 3.9 (3946cc) to the 4.0 (3946cc) it got cross-bolted mains.

You could put it in my TR7...

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Geoj posted:

^
That, and no supercharged Crown Victoria or Charger is going to be able to keep up with a sport bike, let alone catch up with one after they've already blown by.

Chases rarely happen anymore unless the suspect is dangerous, the road is very empty or the cop is an rear end in a top hat. There's too much that can go wrong in a chase, the cop is literally putting his career and life on the line if he decides to start a pursuit.

It's way better to radio ahead and hope to get the guy that way or grab his plate and go after him later.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

joat mon posted:

I believe when they went from the 3.9 (3946cc) to the 4.0 (3946cc) it got cross-bolted mains.
I wasn't sure. You definitely get the full-width bearing blocks, the different head bolt arrangement and so on, but I seem to have this thing in my head about the 4.0 not getting the crossbolting.

Not that it's hard to check. Bolt heads on the side of the block? There you go!

If Motronic can give a yes/no, I'd be interested in a definite answer.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

kronix posted:

Chases rarely happen anymore unless the suspect is dangerous, the road is very empty or the cop is an rear end in a top hat. There's too much that can go wrong in a chase, the cop is literally putting his career and life on the line if he decides to start a pursuit.

This is also true, but trying to chase a sport bike in a car is little more than an exercise in futility.

kronix posted:

It's way better to radio ahead and hope to get the guy that way or grab his plate and go after him later.

This actually happened to a guy who lived across the street from my parents when I was in highschool. Apparently he ran from the cops and went straight home...about an hour later three cruisers showed up and arrested him.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geoj posted:

This is also true, but trying to chase a sport bike in a car is little more than an exercise in futility.
On a good road, yeah. Gravel and cowpats are a pretty good leveller, though :banjo:.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

InitialDave posted:

I wasn't sure. You definitely get the full-width bearing blocks, the different head bolt arrangement and so on, but I seem to have this thing in my head about the 4.0 not getting the crossbolting.

Not that it's hard to check. Bolt heads on the side of the block? There you go!

If Motronic can give a yes/no, I'd be interested in a definite answer.

FWIW: http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/40difference.htm

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

It is a GEMS motor, and the difference between the 3.9 blocks and 4.0/4.6 blocks (besides the milling for a crank position sensor on the GEMS models) was extra ribbing and cross bolted mains. In fact, the 3.9 vs 4.0 didn't evan have a displacement difference. Just a new intake/exhaust/pistons and aforementioned block changes.

It's getting built because I like the Disco platform, but feel like it could use some more power. I would have started with a 4.6, but based on what I'm already planning on replacing and what I have sitting on shelves it was cheaper to start with a 4.0. I think it will be easier to do it this way (which will include a larger radiator and removal of the "Jarvik Heart" external thermostat madness) than to do an LS swap or similar.

I expect to have problems. Hopefully none that make me start over from scratch or abandon the project completely.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hmm, I couldn't tell from that angle, it looked like it had the later intake system (rather than the "aluminium brick" one), and I associated that with the Thor. You should have fewer head bolts, too, shouldn't you? I thought the 3.9/4.0 changeover was when they finally deleted the stupid third row from each side.

Thanks for the clarification on the crossbolting, I have no bloody clue where I had that idea from.

Also, the 3.9/4.0 thing (because they wanted to show it was a new engine) reminded me of Fiat's Uno 1.3 nonsense. The same engine could be tolerance-stacked to be declared as either a 1299cc or 1301cc depending which country's regulations they wanted to say "gently caress you" to. It's just a .004" difference in the bore between the two - what's an engineer going to do? That's right, make sure one has a +.002" upper tolerance, and the other has -.002" lower, make both the same and gently caress off down the pub.

Guess what the tolerance for bore size is in the service manual? That's right kids, a .002" window. Oh, you glorious bastards. :allears:

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I used to live in a neighborhood that was pretty off-the-beaten-path (i.e. kind of out of the way), and consisted of one main road that was long as gently caress and winded more than what you would conceive of as possible. I lived halfway down the road and it took me about 15 minutes either way to get in or out. Meanwhile it was only about 2 or 3 miles as the crow flies from a moderate thoroughfare. I never really sped too much because during the day there were kids playing, lots of blind corners and at night countless possums, racoons, squirrels, bobcats, house cats, dogs, snakes, molluscs, jellyfish, seahorses... you could run over an entire zoo in a single night if you wanted to.

Anyway one night at about 4 am I'm pulling onto the main street from one of the 2 entrances, and I notice that the the concrete block sign has been smashed into. It was up on an island that divided the in lane from the out lane, and it was kind of impressive that the car had managed to get off of it again. So as I drive on, I notice that there's a trail of scratches on the road itself where presumably concrete that was still wedged up under the car was ablating away as it drove on. It went for miles, interspersed with bigger chunks that came off at various points. I followed as it made turns, always clearly discernible, until, say, 3 or 4 miles into the neighborhood it pulled into a driveway and I look up and see a hosed up car parked in a garage with a cop car out front. :lol:

whose tuggin fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 28, 2011

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Motronic posted:

It is a GEMS motor, and the difference between the 3.9 blocks and 4.0/4.6 blocks (besides the milling for a crank position sensor on the GEMS models) was extra ribbing and cross bolted mains. In fact, the 3.9 vs 4.0 didn't evan have a displacement difference. Just a new intake/exhaust/pistons and aforementioned block changes.

It's getting built because I like the Disco platform, but feel like it could use some more power. I would have started with a 4.6, but based on what I'm already planning on replacing and what I have sitting on shelves it was cheaper to start with a 4.0. I think it will be easier to do it this way (which will include a larger radiator and removal of the "Jarvik Heart" external thermostat madness) than to do an LS swap or similar.

I expect to have problems. Hopefully none that make me start over from scratch or abandon the project completely.
Jay-Z is the authority on all Land Rover drivetrains.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8VjtptgMio&t=222s

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Lowclock posted:

Jay-Z is the authority on all Land Rover drivetrains.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8VjtptgMio&t=222s
Jesus, what an idiot.

Everyone knows it's four hundred and thirty thou.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Hmm, I couldn't tell from that angle, it looked like it had the later intake system (rather than the "aluminium brick" one), and I associated that with the Thor. You should have fewer head bolts, too, shouldn't you? I thought the 3.9/4.0 changeover was when they finally deleted the stupid third row from each side.

Thanks for the clarification on the crossbolting, I have no bloody clue where I had that idea from.

It does have the later intake. That GEMS. The aluminum block thing intake is on Lucas 14CUX motors. I probably didn't respond well to that question, come to think of it.....GEMS motors do in fact have Motronic stuff on them. And that's not what I was thinking of for my name....that was in homage to the 80's Porsche and BMW Bosch systems....the original Motoronics. Not that you needed to know that.

And yes, the head bolts are different. Although I won't be bolting. I have proven to myself that I can put in studs and have enough clearance to remove a head in the bay by pulling motor mounts and lowering it a few inches, which takes all of 5 minutes to do. That goes along with step 1: drill out cylinder liners, step 2: install top hat liners. I'd like to make it not use head gaskets as 30k mile maintenance items.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

InitialDave posted:

I got that feeling when I ran over someone's air suspension bag this morning.

I have no idea how it was even conceivable that it came off in one piece like that.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

InitialDave posted:

I actually had a wheel come off on the interstate once because of loose lug nuts, and it was a surprisingly small deal. Even though it was a front wheel, I was able to brake and pull over to the side with no trouble. While riding on the brake rotor. I was lucky however that the wheel didn't hit any cars when it crossed the opposing lanes of traffic.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
If the wheel is no longer a part of the car, are you still liable for it? If it had caused an accident, my entire legal defense would have been the single statement "that could have been anybody's wheel :colbert:"

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

The Scientist posted:

If the wheel is no longer a part of the car, are you still liable for it? If it had caused an accident, my entire legal defense would have been the single statement "that could have been anybody's wheel :colbert:"

Is it sad that I probably see this working to some degree?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Is it sad that I probably see this working to some degree?

zoom, zoom, enhance, enhance.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

The Scientist posted:

This would probably be a better defense strategy if it weren't trivially easy to locate you, seeing as how you're stuck on the opposite shoulder missing a wheel.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

SlapActionJackson posted:

This would probably be a better defense strategy if it weren't trivially easy to locate you, seeing as how you're stuck on the opposite shoulder missing a wheel.

Maybe you just felt like leaving your wheel at home.

Radio-Controlled
Mar 31, 2005
The man for the job.
Driving home from getting my smartphone fixed. Hit a big bump on my rustbucket Olds. The front driver side strut mount (the entire mount itself) tried making an exit through the hood. Limped it home and parked it. We were waiting for something like this to happen. Quickly replaced with a 2008 Vibe.

I wanted to get the hood open to check out the extent of the damage but it wouldn't budge.

RIP Olds. 317000kms. Junkyard gave me $330. :)

Radio-Controlled fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 31, 2011

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wouldn't that be...driver's side?

But yeah, Oldsmobiles from that era like to rust everywhere, for no reason. *~Ask me how I know~*

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Billy Tully posted:

Maybe you just felt like leaving your wheel at home.
Officer, this car is a test platform for the resurrection of the Reliant Robin.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I had 4 when I left the house, I'm sure of it. I blame crime.

Also I can identify it pretty easily, it looked exactly NOT like the other 3, in case you spot it anywhere.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
This was posted on Bitog and I thought I'd share

OH SHI-

From http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2323942#Post2323942

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Vanagoon posted:

This was posted on Bitog and I thought I'd share

OH SHI-

From http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2323942#Post2323942

That's over in alternative insanity too. Apparently everyone lived, though you can see the crew jumping from the first train.

Posting this for Mr 14 Inch Dick, his computer is still out of commision.

Apparently a Silverado came in for "funny sounding brakes". Also managed to eat away the piston from the caliper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

some texas redneck posted:

Posting this for Mr 14 Inch Dick, his computer is still out of commision.

Apparently a Silverado came in for "funny sounding brakes". Also managed to eat away the piston from the caliper.

How does that only come in for "funny sounding brakes" and not "It take 400ft to stop when I hit the brakes at 30mph"? Did all the rotors look like that? I suppose it is being too assuming to say that he had gotten the tires rotated at any point recently.