Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pertplus posted:

I noticed that Cyberduck downloads much more than it needs to when transferring files from a server to my comp. Is there a way I can fix this or is this just something that happens with FTP clients?

Maybe the file was still being downloaded on your seedbox when you started to download it to your computer? That's not an FTP 'feature'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

duck monster posted:

Why on earth would they do this? :confused:

I love lion, but theres some god drat mystifying defaults in this thing.

I wonder if theres something under the hood to disable this godawful thing altogether. There really are not any situations i can think of where you'd need to hard boot and want to resume all 900+ adhd opened programs.

Especially so when a huge of the people out there wont have little blue dots under their programs to even tell them they are opened. Some folks are just going to have their computers slowing the gently caress down for no obvious reason, reboot to reclaim the machine and then it just slows down.

It honestly feels like some bits of lion are there because iOS , not because its a good idea.

Lion will automatically suspend and resume programs in the background in order to free up resources.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Just found another bullshit feature removal/limitation in Lion.

Previously, Spaces allowed you to bring up the interface and manage all windows on all desktops. Not in Lion! Bringing up Mission Control will not allow you to move windows from any desktop other than the active desktop. So if you're on Desktop 2 and you want to bring up Mission Control to move a window from Desktop 3 to Desktop 1, you're loving out of luck because clearly that's too "power user" for Apple. Now you have to switch to the desktop with the app you want to move, bring up Mission Control, and THEN move it.

It's like 10.7 is the "add unnecessary steps to all tasks" release of Mac OS X. :(

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

I prefer the old Spaces too. There's a workaround though. Option-click a desktop (or use one of the shortcut keys) in Mission Control and it will switch desktop without closing.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop
You can switch between desktops by swiping with three/four fingers from within Mission Control, too.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Accipiter posted:

Thank you for beating me to the punch.

Sometimes you just want to make one edit to a file and save it separate from the original. This is not some crazy unheard of bird-brained operation.

And this is just talking about Preview. What about other applications that lack both "Save As..." AND "Export..."? Like say, TextEdit for example. Here's a perfect example. Open TextEdit, create a simple document, and "Save..." it to the desktop. Now make a minor change to the file, and find a way to save it in the exact same format as a completely separate document with a separate filename. YOU CAN'T DO IT.

This was really starting to piss me off so I just deleted TextEdit and replaced it with the version from 10.6. Simple enough, and now it works exactly the same as it did before because it's the same application. I don't think you can do this with Preview though and that's bullshit, I can't even begin to wonder why Apple felt compelled to change the side of the window that the sidebar is on and worse, not let you change it.

e2: Nevermind, figured out how to get Preview working but it's not exactly stable; ignore this for now

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 28, 2011

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Accipiter posted:

Previously, Spaces allowed you to bring up the interface and manage all windows on all desktops. Not in Lion! Bringing up Mission Control will not allow you to move windows from any desktop other than the active desktop. So if you're on Desktop 2 and you want to bring up Mission Control to move a window from Desktop 3 to Desktop 1, you're loving out of luck because clearly that's too "power user" for Apple. Now you have to switch to the desktop with the app you want to move, bring up Mission Control, and THEN move it.

It's like 10.7 is the "add unnecessary steps to all tasks" release of Mac OS X. :(

I never knew you could do that from Spaces. Interesting, just tried it on my work computer which still has Snow Leopard.

To be fair, using my Magic Mouse I can activate mission control, two finger swipe to "Desktop 3" in mission control, then drag the window to "Desktop 2". So that's like three less steps of going back to the desktop, changing desktops, and reactivating mission control again.

Accipiter posted:

Thank you for beating me to the punch.

Sometimes you just want to make one edit to a file and save it separate from the original. This is not some crazy unheard of bird-brained operation.

And this is just talking about Preview. What about other applications that lack both "Save As..." AND "Export..."? Like say, TextEdit for example. Here's a perfect example. Open TextEdit, create a simple document, and "Save..." it to the desktop. Now make a minor change to the file, and find a way to save it in the exact same format as a completely separate document with a separate filename. YOU CAN'T DO IT.

This has been said before, but File -> Duplicate can basically accomplish the same thing. I know it's not EXACTLY THE SAME as everyone has done for years, but it kinda makes sense with Versions. Before with "Save As..." you were making a change, basically duplicating it as a new file, then abandoning the changes you made to the old document. Now in Lion you are telling the program you are saving it as a new document BEFORE you make the change, which could prevent accidentally saving over the original document (Which I have done countless times in the past). Now the argument to all of this would be, isn't the point of Versions to let you roll back the file if you did accidentally save over it?

Edit: You could also duplicate the file in finder before you even open it too.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 28, 2011

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Maybe the file was still being downloaded on your seedbox when you started to download it to your computer? That's not an FTP 'feature'
It wasn't and this happens to about 25% of all my downloads.

geera
May 20, 2003
Read a few pages back and didn't see anything similar... has anyone noticed their laptop running much warmer since upgrading to Lion? I have a unibody '08 Macbook (before they all went Pro) and I've heard my fan spin up more times in the past week than I think I ever have. It seems to happen most often when Time Machine is backing up or indexing -- did TM get changed in Lion?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

geera posted:

did TM get changed in Lion?

Uh... I'm not sure how you missed the complete loving architectural changes in FileVault that came with lion but yeah there's tons of changes - in that as well as lots of other poo poo.

First boot is the worst thanks to spotlight indexing, and FileVault has been completely revamped. Plus there's a lot of under-the-hood changes that affect battery life and no doubt system performance that can easily impact temperature. Welcome to a .0 release of Mac OS. Wait for 10.7.1 or 10.7.2 and things should settle down a bit.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
I've got a 2009 core 2 duo white MacBook that I just installed Lion on, and I can't two-finger scroll.

I think that I disabled two-finger scrolling when it was running SL, but I can't find any option to enable it, and searching online for scrolling only finds me pages of flame wars about scroll direction.

Anyone have a link that could help?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Mniot posted:

I've got a 2009 core 2 duo white MacBook that I just installed Lion on, and I can't two-finger scroll.

I think that I disabled two-finger scrolling when it was running SL, but I can't find any option to enable it, and searching online for scrolling only finds me pages of flame wars about scroll direction.

Anyone have a link that could help?

System Preferences -> Mouse & Trackpad -> Trackpad Options -> "Scrolling"

Check it for two finger scroll, uncheck to turn it off.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

CaptainCaveman posted:

System Preferences -> Universal Access -> Mouse & Trackpad -> Trackpad Options -> "Scrolling"

Some of the stranger options (like turning off scrolling) are in Universal Access now (CaptainCaveman probably just typoed/forgot, figured I'd make it clearer.)

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

x-virge posted:

Some of the stranger options (like turning off scrolling) are in Universal Access now (CaptainCaveman probably just typoed/forgot, figured I'd make it clearer.)

Yeah that was a pretty bad typo, I missed the main section I was trying to point out. Thanks.

Edit: For anybody else who's having trouble finding stuff, remember that system preferences has search. Typing "scroll" into the search box includes this one in the options.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just installed an SSD on my MBP. Are there any tweaks I should be doing in Lion for maintenance? It's an OWC 120gig and they claim that it doesn't need TRIM and has garbage collection built-in.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

x-virge posted:

Aha, that's just what I needed! Thanks, x-virge and CaptainCaveman. I was starting to think I had a hardware problem.

I'd tried searching preferences for "scroll" but didn't see Universal Access, because the search results pop-up covers that preference item.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Accipiter posted:

gently caress really? I didn't test what was Spaces in the 10.7 Beta, but that's sad if they have done that. Time to wait for a 3rd party plugin/addon to fix that.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Everything I've read so far suggests that it is impossible to non-destructively resize a core storage volume (encrypted ala File Vault 2) either through Disk Utility.app or the diskutil command. Is this correct or does anyone have knowledge to the contrary?

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

geera posted:

Read a few pages back and didn't see anything similar... has anyone noticed their laptop running much warmer since upgrading to Lion? I have a unibody '08 Macbook (before they all went Pro) and I've heard my fan spin up more times in the past week than I think I ever have. It seems to happen most often when Time Machine is backing up or indexing -- did TM get changed in Lion?

Yes, my 2010 MacBook Pro was running hotter after I did an upgrade to Lion. However, after I used my recovery partition to format the drive and install a fresh copy of Lion, the problem disappeared.

EDIT: Full-screen app chat: I'm loving it. I've currently got Safari, iTunes, and Reeder in full-screen. I love using the trackpad to move between "spaces." Honestly, I never once used Expose and Spaces, so their demise doesn't bother me. Lion's new features are incredible. The new Safari is solid. Once I discovered OmniBar (thanks to this thread), I uninstalled every other browser from my system.

Rabid Koala fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 29, 2011

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Has anyone else with a magic trackpad AND a mouse noticed that sometimes after waking from sleep, mouse presses require two clicks to work?

This happened twice now. fiddling with settings in mouse/pad preferences tends to fix it though.

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

I just had a "holy poo poo" moment with Sparrow. I've been running it in "Menubar Only" mode because I'm weird like that. This hides pretty much every neat feature in the updated version of Sparrow - including full-screen. Goddamn it. Now I have four apps in full-screen. Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone who is weird about Sparrow like me.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

El Jackalope posted:

I was wondering about running Lion Server and if it would run a 10.6 VM though...
That doesn't really change anything cause Lion Server doesn't change anything EULA wise for 10.6 afaik. Lion lets you run two instances of Lion in VMs, 10.6 Server lets you run it in a VM, but the regular 10.6 doesn't (but again that seems easy enough to work around).

lelandjs posted:

So how is Royal Pains, anyway?
Apparently good enough that he hasn't canceled it even after downloading over half a gig of extra data!

Sharrow posted:

Parallels can :unsmith:
What happens if you suspend it then reboot into Windows?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is anyone surprised about how much like enjoy fullscreen implementation on Lion? I've always been a big proponent of carefully organized windows on one display, but I really like being able to three finger swipe between different apps/desktops.

Now we just have to wait until all apps implement a full screen function.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Mu Zeta posted:

I just installed an SSD on my MBP. Are there any tweaks I should be doing in Lion for maintenance? It's an OWC 120gig and they claim that it doesn't need TRIM and has garbage collection built-in.

No, no tweaks are required for your SSD.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Corbet posted:

Is anyone surprised about how much like enjoy fullscreen implementation on Lion? I've always been a big proponent of carefully organized windows on one display, but I really like being able to three finger swipe between different apps/desktops.

I do. They need to fix some bugs though. Like when the window is resized for any reason, it doesn't snap back (I've had this happen with iTunes a lot, and you can see for yourself when you enable/disable the status bar in Safari) and the behavior when a new window is spawned.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What happens if Safari is fullscreen and a popup window is spawned?

e: I er -- I guess I could just try this myself.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

You Am I posted:

gently caress really? I didn't test what was Spaces in the 10.7 Beta, but that's sad if they have done that. Time to wait for a 3rd party plugin/addon to fix that.

You can switch the space being shown in the "main area" using whichever gesture or hotkey you have assigned to switch between spaces when not in Mission Control. Optionally, you can opt-click on the desired space. From there, you can move windows/apps from one space to another without having to exit Mission Control. cmd-dragging doesn't work anymore, though... you have to click-drag the app icon to move all windows for that app at once.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

Corbet posted:

I can't recommend this enough if you like full screen: http://chpwn.com/apps/maximizer.html

It's a SIMBL plugin that adds full screen support to everything. As far as I can tell the full screening is completely proper too, and both looks and behaves the way you would expect.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

Martytoof posted:

What happens if Safari is fullscreen and a popup window is spawned?

e: I er -- I guess I could just try this myself.

Opens a new tab, like on iOS.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Nall posted:

I can't recommend this enough if you like full screen: http://chpwn.com/apps/maximizer.html

It's a SIMBL plugin that adds full screen support to everything. As far as I can tell the full screening is completely proper too, and both looks and behaves the way you would expect.

Very cool, thanks for the heads up.

I've got a question - I have two smb networked hard drives that I have in the startup area of my system preferences so my mac automatically mounts them. One annoyance is the fact that it also brings up a finder window for each networked drive.

Is there any way to prevent the networked drives from popping up in finder and only make them mount automatically?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Corbet posted:

I like it, but I'd love it if you could go full screen in a second monitor and swipe between apps in that second monitor only.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
Has anyone tried that Maximizer hack with Parallels?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Corbet posted:

While I love the concept, I guess it also really depends on your real estate too. On a 27" iMac, there's really not many apps that make sense taking up a full 2560x1440 space. I've been doing it with iTunes just to feel like I'm using it (and having it on grid view looks pretty), but Sparrow/Safari/Etc. all just seem ridiculously overwhelming at that res.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Trying to setup the latest Python and some Python addons for Maths academics at my workplace. I have most stuff installed, however when I run some tests to make sure Python and its addons are working, of course there are issues.

The particular addon I am trying to get to work is Pyrex. I have installed Pyrex-0.9.9 on the Mac (10.6.8), and there were no errors while installing.

However when I run the MacTest.py which should validate whether Pyrex has been installed, it comes up with this error:

code:
ImportError: cannot import name FSSpec
I tracked down this error and someone had uploaded a .patch file to fix it. However there are no instructions on how you install a .patch, and Google is not giving me any help. Is there any command line users here who could help me with this, or throw some hints on where I should be looking?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

japtor posted:

That doesn't really change anything cause Lion Server doesn't change anything EULA wise for 10.6 afaik. Lion lets you run two instances of Lion in VMs, 10.6 Server lets you run it in a VM, but the regular 10.6 doesn't (but again that seems easy enough to work around).

As long as it actually works under Lion's VM, that's what matters to me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Has anyone tried Flip4Mac in 10.7? Their site says that Lion support is "coming soon", but I'm curious whether that's just "we're still testing stuff but the current implementation works" or "poo poo's broken son". I'd install and check myself but I'd rather see if anyone has any firsthand experience before I potentially introduce some instability.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

I like it because I may have a ton of poo poo open and an upgrade pops up and wants to reboot, and I don't have to worry about losing my place on what I was doing.

Also Lion will claim the memory back just like iOS devices do once programs start getting updated to support it.

And why does everyone say the dots aren't under running programs in finder, my machine has them. :confused:

It will when software is designed to work for it. But not all is, and its a fairly big task to get it into shape, including understanding how the serialization APIs work and retrofitting ObjC code to do it (and this all assumes your code uses ObjC for anything more than interacting with cocoa). The idea is actually loving fantastic, and I can see already my performance is much better when I have a lot of apple apps open. But most of my software isn't really lion compliant yet. 90% of my day I have eclipse open which being a java app, at this stage isn't even remotely aware of it. Firefox doesn't seem to be aware of it, and to be honest browsers re-oppening to where you leave off has got to be one of my most hated behaviors , considering how often I'm force quitting loving firefox to get it to regain sanity after horrifying ajax messes like facebook grind it into the earth. The CS programs don't seem to be aware of it either.

UNTIL the majority of software can cope with it, its just a royal pain in the arse.

Apple can do the smart thing and put it as a precondition to the app store to apply a bit of dynamite to developers asses to get their poo poo together, but until then, at least give us an option to permanantly uncheck reopen windows. The magical fairyworld of everything being lion compliant is not here with us yet, and until then, lion needs to allow more realistic assumptions , especially on slightly older machines.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

You Am I posted:

Trying to setup the latest Python and some Python addons for Maths academics at my workplace. I have most stuff installed, however when I run some tests to make sure Python and its addons are working, of course there are issues.

The particular addon I am trying to get to work is Pyrex. I have installed Pyrex-0.9.9 on the Mac (10.6.8), and there were no errors while installing.

However when I run the MacTest.py which should validate whether Pyrex has been installed, it comes up with this error:

code:
ImportError: cannot import name FSSpec
I tracked down this error and someone had uploaded a .patch file to fix it. However there are no instructions on how you install a .patch, and Google is not giving me any help. Is there any command line users here who could help me with this, or throw some hints on where I should be looking?

#man patch should give you everything you need.

Generally SOMETHING like patch < file.patch , in the directory where the code is should do the job. You might need something like patch -p1 or something like that to get the paths right. Read the man docs then peruse the patch file.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Martytoof posted:

Has anyone tried Flip4Mac in 10.7? Their site says that Lion support is "coming soon", but I'm curious whether that's just "we're still testing stuff but the current implementation works" or "poo poo's broken son". I'd install and check myself but I'd rather see if anyone has any firsthand experience before I potentially introduce some instability.

Playing WMVs ? That got a whole hell of a lot better in 10.7. Any of the export and conversion stuff in the pay versions ? No, haven't tried 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

mllaneza posted:

Playing WMVs ? That got a whole hell of a lot better in 10.7. Any of the export and conversion stuff in the pay versions ? No, haven't tried 'em.

Nope, that's all I needed to hear. I only ever had the free version myself. Thanks!