Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
I'm thinking about picking up the stock 11" Air. I currently use a 2010 13" Pro but want something lighter (I use my iPad 90% of the time instead of my Pro). My concern is the 2GB RAM. Usually the only apps I have running are Safari, iTunes and Twitter. The most taxing things I do are a little image editing with Pixelmator, and light video editing with iMovie. Am I going to run into problems with 2GB RAM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
I just purchased OS X Lion Server after getting my free copy of Lion for the business I work for. After paying 50 dollars and downloading something, I'm presented with this:

Their automated response to the ticket I opened? "This is an automated reply, but an iTunes Store (Mac App Store) representative will review your request and send you a personal response, most likely within 24 hours."

24 hour response LIKELY?

We're an all Apple shop, use almost all Apple products (Filemaker Pro, iWorks, etc) and have used Xserv's exclusively for 4 years now...and this is where Apple's future is headed? I think it's time to learn some Linux and ditch Apple, because their Enterprise support just got non-existant. gently caress this poo poo.

McDeth fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 28, 2011

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It's only $50 dude, what do you expect?

edit: Also, it looks like it's just a temporary issue with their server that popped up yesterday, so it'll probably we resolving itself soon.

edit2: Also, you're in the wrong thread. You want the Mac Software thread.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 28, 2011

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So basically max out your 11", for the 13, save you bucks and buy a sweet case (I got the bookbook).

If you're stressing about the speeds on the Airs, maybe snag a pro instead.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

FCKGW posted:

I've used Tech Tool Deluxe when I was a computer technician, and sometimes it just didn't catch bad ram. Most programs have a had time picking it up unless it's really hosed up.

I can a copy of memtest that runs on OSX I could send you. Send me a PM.

Just ran memtest and it couldn't detect any problems but the machine will sometimes register 2GB when i restart, sometimes 6. If it boots with 6, after 2 hours or so I have to reboot it because it keeps pausing when I'm trying to edit, playing about 4-8 frames (1/3 of a second) before stopping.

This is the last kernel panic I got which was while editing:

http://www.jasonboyce.com/download/kernelpanic.rtf

Dunno if it helps. memtest might not have seen anything because it couldn't lock the memory and i'm running it in regular mode, so wherever the bad ram is it just can't find it. I'm just hoping it's specifically the ram, otherwise it's probably a mobo issue and if that's the case then i'm truly hosed.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Since your MacPro has ECC ram, I'm starting to think it may be your mobo slots instead of the memory.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Take it Sleazy posted:

So I have one of the discontinued 2 ghz unibody aluminum macbooks, that is, not pro, they were only sold for like six months between 2008 and 2009. Anyway it only has 2gb ram, and I am thinking of upgrading it to 8gb.

I have found some discussion on the internet saying that they were limited to 4gb by some firmware issue, but maybe aren't anymore...? All the writing on these things seems to be pretty old, will the 4gb thing be a problem or can I go ahead and put in 8gb? I have Lion & all the recent updates, etc. Thanks

edit: also this is the RAM I'm looking at, is it a good choice? Anything in particular I should look out for when selecting which ram to buy?
OWC says it can go to 8GB going by this page. I'm not sure there's anything to look out for, outside of searching for "mac" or "macbook" in the user reviews, that'll tend to be enough to tell you whether there's any problems with them.

FCKGW posted:

Since your MacPro has ECC ram, I'm starting to think it may be your mobo slots instead of the memory.
Guess you can move the sticks around to check that right? Like just figure out which ones are filled then appear missing (TechTool or System Profiler should have that), then swap around and see if it happens to the same slots or if it follows the sticks.

And for the memory tests, I've heard it's best to run them off some special bootable disc, although I'm not sure of the reasoning. Either it can't test the full range or the system possibly taking up some of the bad memory.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Corbet posted:

How much are you looking to spend?

Timbuk2:
http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/laptop/

Tom Bihn (I own this, I like it):
http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/300/TB0223

SFBags:
"Air Wallet" (You can add a strap to it):
http://www.sfbags.com/products/macbookair-wallet/macbookair-wallet.php

"Muzetto" (aka ridiculously expensive but oh-so-nice):
http://www.sfbags.com/products/muzetto/muzetto.php

---

I got the Tom Bihn bag as a birthday gift last year and I'm happy with it. If I didn't mind dropping a chunk of change, I think I'd go with the Muzetto though.
Under $100 would be ideal, but I could probably stretch to $150 or so if it was really worth it. I've heard Tom Bihn's bags are great in general, s that's definitely a consideration. The Muzetto looks awesome but $240 is a bit too pricey to me.

Actually this is a bit of an unusual requirement but I need to be able to carry my 13" Macbook Air and an iPad in the same bag (for development purposes). Fortunately they are both relatively thin devices.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

movax posted:

Interested to hear some reports from goons who've hooked up their Airs to an external display.
This does have me a little worried, since I'm waiting on my 2011 13" MBP to come in, and I was planning on connecting the MBP to my 24" 1920x1200 display at home (while still having the display on the MBP going too, for dual-screen effect). :(

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

bassguitarhero posted:

:words:

Maybe it's a bad PRAM battery? Disconnect the network cable and reboot, if the time resets to Wed 7:00 you might want to get a new PRAM battery.

Also what video card is it using? Did you take it out and clean it if it has a fan?

MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

Anyone know a good place to get Firewire enclosures with Oxford chipsets in the UK? Preferably one that doesn't cost the earth.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

SourKraut posted:

This does have me a little worried, since I'm waiting on my 2011 13" MBP to come in, and I was planning on connecting the MBP to my 24" 1920x1200 display at home (while still having the display on the MBP going too, for dual-screen effect). :(
You should be fine, I think.

quote:

Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory5

Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors
http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-13inch.html

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm considering getting a high end stock iMac 27" from Best Buy today. Is the 4GB ram enough for WoW + iTunes? That's my only worry.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah 4gigs is plenty

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm considering getting a high end stock iMac 27" from Best Buy today. Is the 4GB ram enough for WoW + iTunes? That's my only worry.

If not, you can get a 8GB upgrade (which would take your iMac to 12GB) for $39.99 with a free 4G USB drive and free shipping from NewEgg

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

natlampe posted:

You should be fine, I think.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-13inch.html

Yeah, the primary reason I'm concerned is just due to what some reviewers (such as that Anand quote) commented on regarding high-resolution displays and a GPU with dedicated vRAM being desirable.

I do plan on upping the memory to 8GB right away though, and apparently increasing the memory to 8GB also bumps up the allocated shared RAM to the HD3000 from 384 to 512 MB. Not much, but every little bit helps. :D

Bob Morales posted:

If not, you can get a 8GB upgrade (which would take your iMac to 12GB) for $39.99 with a free 4G USB drive and free shipping from NewEgg

If you're referring to the G.Skill deal, I think it's dead now (as it no longer shows the free 4GB flash drive, and now shows $54.99 for the RAM).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, the primary reason I'm concerned is just due to what some reviewers (such as that Anand quote) commented on regarding high-resolution displays and a GPU with dedicated vRAM being desirable.

I do plan on upping the memory to 8GB right away though, and apparently increasing the memory to 8GB also bumps up the allocated shared RAM to the HD3000 from 384 to 512 MB. Not much, but every little bit helps. :D

If you're referring to the G.Skill deal, I think it's dead now (as it no longer shows the free 4GB flash drive, and now shows $54.99 for the RAM).

A similar deal will be around before you know it. Besides, even at regular price a 4GB chip is $23.99 and a 2GB chip is $14.99

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bob Morales posted:

Aren't the new iMac's fairly hard to upgrade?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you think removing three philips screwdriver is hard, then yes.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I have no hands.

Okay awesome. So much for my plans to get an Air.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

SourKraut posted:

As long as you're not talking about hooking it up to a 24" Cinema Display, you should be fine.

The 24" ACD is moderately hosed connecting to Thunderbolt Mac's and Apple really doesn't know how to handle it still.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

Aren't the new iMac's fairly hard to upgrade?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

As long as you're not talking about hooking it up to a 24" Cinema Display, you should be fine.

The 24" ACD is moderately hosed connecting to Thunderbolt Mac's and Apple really doesn't know how to handle it still.
Oh, thankfully mine isn't a 24" ACD (though I wouldn't mind if it were...). It's just an HP monitor. Has DisplayPort though so figured I'd pick up a miniDP-> DP cable.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 28, 2011

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.
Is Mac Pro RAM so much more expensive than iMac and MacBook RAM because of the fins? I was trying to find RAM for my 2008 Mac Pro, and 4 GB sets me back like $120 or something.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

TheState posted:

Is Mac Pro RAM so much more expensive than iMac and MacBook RAM because of the fins? I was trying to find RAM for my 2008 Mac Pro, and 4 GB sets me back like $120 or something.

It's ECC, basically 'server RAM'

Kilted Yaksman
Sep 25, 2003

Does anyone know if you can use an employee purchase discount in-store? I want to get the 256GB 13" MBA, which is $1,503 with ESPP. Unfortunately, sales tax in Washington comes in at $142.79 :aaa:

I was thinking of buying one in-store when I visit a friend in Oregon next month.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

japtor posted:

OWC says it can go to 8GB going by this page. I'm not sure there's anything to look out for, outside of searching for "mac" or "macbook" in the user reviews, that'll tend to be enough to tell you whether there's any problems with them.

Guess you can move the sticks around to check that right? Like just figure out which ones are filled then appear missing (TechTool or System Profiler should have that), then swap around and see if it happens to the same slots or if it follows the sticks.

And for the memory tests, I've heard it's best to run them off some special bootable disc, although I'm not sure of the reasoning. Either it can't test the full range or the system possibly taking up some of the bad memory.

Sometimes the memory shows up (it is showing up now) and sometimes it doesn't. But then doesn't the Mac Pro require that memory be installed to specific slots? There's a diagram showing that the first two sticks go in the front top two slots, then next two go in front bottom two, then back top, then back bottom. I can move it around and see if that causes fewer problems, but I don't know when. I'm finishing up one trailer now and am due to start working on a new project first thing in the AM which goes all weekend so I've got no idea when I can sit down and fart around with shutting it down, moving RAM, starting it up, running memtest, shutting down, moving RAM, starting it up, etc etc

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

Maybe it's a bad PRAM battery? Disconnect the network cable and reboot, if the time resets to Wed 7:00 you might want to get a new PRAM battery.

Also what video card is it using? Did you take it out and clean it if it has a fan?

Video card is a Radeon HD 4870, it has a fan but I cleaned it out only a couple months ago. I went over it again with the anti-dust spray yesterday as well, so I don't think that's the problem.

There's also a 7300GT in here but I don't think that has a fan. There's no network cable connected, I'm using airport for internet.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

nm

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 29, 2011

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

movax posted:

Interested to hear some reports from goons who've hooked up their Airs to an external display.

I hooked mine (13" 2011) to a Dell E2311H, which has a native resolution of 1920x1080. Poor results - poor contrast (whereas the same display works great with my Dell E6500 notebook). I moved the MBA to an older Dell 2005PFW running at 1680x1050 and it's working really well.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.
Is there a way to upgrade the hard drive in my 2009 MBP without voiding the warranty? It's 5400 rpm, would I notice a difference in overall speed if I upgraded to 7200? Or should I just go from 4 to 8 gb of RAM?I know a SSD would be a big upgrade but so expensive. I have a year and a half of apple care left, I'd prefer to keep that in tact.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Anyone know how long until the old iMacs started showing up on the refurb store with ssds? I'm looking to get the new 27'' iMac but 500 for the ssd is a bit hard to stomach..

Actually, does anyone know if the 27'' with only ssd is installed where the primary hard drive would go or under the optical drive like the hd+ssd version? If it's the latter, might as well save $100 and add a faster hd myself. I'm just not comfortable removing the logic board to get the ssd in but a standard hd swap seems pretty straightforward.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

ndrake posted:

Is there a way to upgrade the hard drive in my 2009 MBP without voiding the warranty? It's 5400 rpm, would I notice a difference in overall speed if I upgraded to 7200? Or should I just go from 4 to 8 gb of RAM?I know a SSD would be a big upgrade but so expensive. I have a year and a half of apple care left, I'd prefer to keep that in tact.

Upgrading your hard drive and/or memory doesn't void the warranty.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

jfreder posted:

I thought any time I opened it I did. Good to know. So even if it's done by a hack (me), and not an apple technician, the warranty lives?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

jfreder posted:

Memory perhaps, but while I could be wrong I wouldn't be so quick to say that about a hard drive on a MacBook Pro.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The hard drive is user replaceable on the MBP at least on the unibodies. I called Applecare just to make sure. The guy said that if something was wrong with the hard drive they would prefer to just send the replacement to the user. The user manual of the MBP actually has instructions on how to do it.

Also I just upgraded with an SSD on my MBP this morning and it took 15 minutes. I just watched a couple youtube videos and it was easy. All you need is a small philip screwdriver and a Torx T6 driver.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 29, 2011

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

The hard drive is user replaceable on the MBP at least on the unibodies. I called Applecare just to make sure. The guy said that if something was wrong with the hard drive they would prefer to just send the replacement to the user.

Also I just upgraded with an SSD on my MBP this morning and it took 15 minutes. I just watched a couple youtube videos and it was easy. All you need is a small philip screwdriver and a Torx T6 driver.

Awesome, thanks.

So, anyone think I'd be gaining anything by increasing the hard drive speed? I bet more RAM would be more useful.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

nm

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Mu Zeta posted:

The hard drive is user replaceable on the MBP at least on the unibodies. I called Applecare just to make sure.

Then while I stand corrected, I would still make drat sure to call Apple support myself, state my AppleCare ID up-front, verify that this is A-OK, get them to document it in a ticket, and record the ticket number BEFORE ever attempting to replace the hard drive.

AppleCare is an excellent support structure, but if anything went wrong I drat sure want a paper trail saying all of the user-servicible stuff I was doing was kosher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

Accipiter posted:

Then while I stand corrected, I would still make drat sure to call Apple support myself, state my AppleCare ID up-front, verify that this is A-OK, get them to document it in a ticket, and record the ticket number BEFORE ever attempting to replace the hard drive.

AppleCare is an excellent support structure, but if anything went wrong I drat sure want a paper trail saying all of the user-servicible stuff I was doing was kosher.

Point well taken.