Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Bobx66 posted:

What are the odds that the new Nexus phone comes to Verizon?

The rumors say LTE so my heart says good but my brain says HA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The Thunderbolt is still an awesome phone, guys. :colbert:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Fuzz posted:

The Thunderbolt is still an awesome phone, guys. :colbert:

Not with that God awful 4G battery life it supposedly has.

What's the point of owning a sweet phone like that if your afraid of using the thing because you'll kill the battery so quick?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Not with that God awful 4G battery life it supposedly has.

What's the point of owning a sweet phone like that if your afraid of using the thing because you'll kill the battery so quick?

I broke down and bought the extended Thunderbolt battery today, my phone now looks like a camel with the giant hump on the back :cry:

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

serewit posted:

As an aside, if you want unlimited data still, the old bundled voice+data/messaging plans are still available. They're listed as business plans, but I'm pretty sure they can be put on consumer accounts. Used to be able to, at least.
Sorry but no. The transition to tiered / limited data pricing is across all channels government, business and consumer. If those plan codes aren't locked out of plan changes they will be soon.

If some idiot Verizon employee tries to use them without a really good justification as to why they'll probably get fired and the account would be reverted to a tiered plan.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

The Blarghonauts posted:

Sorry but no. The transition to tiered / limited data pricing is across all channels government, business and consumer. If those plan codes aren't locked out of plan changes they will be soon.

If some idiot Verizon employee tries to use them without a really good justification as to why they'll probably get fired and the account would be reverted to a tiered plan.

They should probably get on that, since I can go and activate those plans right now on My Biz.

They should also probably tell whoever my business rep talked to that confirmed that those plans are still okay...

:iiam:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

I broke down and bought the extended Thunderbolt battery today, my phone now looks like a camel with the giant hump on the back :cry:

I still have the basic battery and it easily lasts the entire day with regular use. Did you set yours up to turn off its radios when it's soft-offed or sleeping? When my screen is off, so are my radios... battery lasts 18 hours, easy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

To me, that's not a valid solution. What the hell good is a smartphone that can't receive push notifications?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

bull3964 posted:

To me, that's not a valid solution. What the hell good is a smartphone that can't receive push notifications?

It updates and synchs every 15 minutes so while I may not get then the exact second they occur, I get them pretty quickly?

I'm a doctor. Seriously, unless you're like... a day trader or something you really don't need continual instant updates.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Fuzz posted:

It updates and synchs every 15 minutes so while I may not get then the exact second they occur, I get them pretty quickly?

I'm a doctor. Seriously, unless you're like... a day trader or something you really don't need continual instant updates.

Might not need them but I want them drat it! It honestly bugs me that my Droid doesn't get its notifications as fast as my old Blackberries did. You're right that it doesn't really matter, but its the principle of the thing.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I don't think it's an unreasonable request to have a phone last a work day without having to gimp its capabilities. Is why I opt for an extra battery instead of solutions like Juice Defender.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, I guess I get to eat crow.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/07/27/verizon-support-claims-galaxy-s-ii-will-have-4g-lte/

If this launches before the bionic and isn't a slider model, I may have some hard choices to make.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Well, I guess I get to eat crow.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/07/27/verizon-support-claims-galaxy-s-ii-will-have-4g-lte/

If this launches before the bionic and isn't a slider model, I may have some hard choices to make.

Holy poo poo!

Did anyone see this coming?

Atrix is confirmed to have the pentile display, as expected.

Interesting rumor of an HTC phone packing 1.5 GHz of dual core goodness along with a 720p screen is tantalizing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That HTC product may very well be some sort of a tablet though, it's hard to say.

I still don't know if I can trust Samsung enough to buy one of their phones and the lack of a notification LED would drive me up the wall.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 27, 2011

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
Dman, if indeed Verizon gets the GSII first and it comes out in August like Samsung said, I'd say the Bionic is DOA.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

That HTC product may very well be some sort of a tablet though, it's hard to say.

I still don't know if I can trust Samsung enough to buy one of their phones and the lack of a notification LED would drive me up the wall.

That's very true, didn't think about that.

Yea, depending on what Moto does in terms of their bootloader policy I'll probably go with either Moto or HTC for my upgrade. Maybe check out the SGSIII if the SGSII turns out to be better supported than the US variants of the Galaxy S.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ha, and just like that...
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/07/27/verizon-support-claims-galaxy-s-ii-will-have-4g-lte/#more-41312

They were confused and talking about the Tab 10.1. So, nothing is confirmed about the GSII.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

bull3964 posted:

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/07/27/verizon-support-claims-galaxy-s-ii-will-have-4g-lte/#more-41312

They were confused and talking about the Tab 10.1. So, nothing is confirmed about the GSII.

Everyone who works in the cellphone industry is a god damned moron.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

bull3964 posted:

Wouldn't it be great if the keyboard version from AT&T came to VZW and had LTE?

(shut up, leave me and my wishful thinking alone.)

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Scipiotik posted:

Everyone who works in the cellphone marketing industry is a god damned moron.

FTFY. There are some pretty smart people in the development and design areas, but marketing people will be marketing people.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

AlexDeGruven posted:

FTFY. There are some pretty smart people in the development and design areas, but marketing people will be marketing people.

Fair enough. I will continue my delusions and pretend that person just let something slip that they shouldn't have. But most likely they are just dumb and can't tell the difference between the Tab and a GS2.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

Kyrosiris posted:

Wouldn't it be great if the keyboard version from AT&T came to VZW and had LTE?

(shut up, leave me and my wishful thinking alone.)

I would so be all over it if it did. I wouldn't even care that it was a Samsung product. I'm right there in la-la land with ya on this one

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

bull3964 posted:

This is the second time whatever dumbfuck runs that twitter account has been talking about the tab when people ask about the GS2, sending blogs going crazy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, this isn't a problem isolated to Verizon either. Companies need to learn that they can't put whatever low totem intern they have on their social media faces. With how quickly news from social media spreads, the information they put out there needs to be MORE vetted than their other outlets.

Unfortunately, instead of addressing that, I think most places will just dial back the amount of info they dole out.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

serewit posted:

They should probably get on that, since I can go and activate those plans right now on My Biz.

They should also probably tell whoever my business rep talked to that confirmed that those plans are still okay...

:iiam:
Interesting. I'm getting my information from what training material goes out to consumer customer service. I generally don't deal with small business or corporate accounts so there might be something I've missed.

I'll do some more research and see if converting to a business account is still a viable loophole for non-grandfathered unlimited data.

Edit: The only official thing I can find in policy is that if the business account has a contract with VZW predating the switch to tiered pricing that guarantees unlimited data plans they can switch to unlimited / activate new lines until 8/6/2011.

So go with whatever your business rep tells you, they're more expert than me in this situation.

GUYS STOP fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 30, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Haha, Verizon tweeted today that 2.3 is going to start rolling out for the X2 today. After yesterday I don't know if I'll believe their twitter again.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Will my friend be able to keep his old unlimited data plan if I give him my old DROID to test out? The way Verizon words it makes it sound like they only let you keep it I you upgrade, not if you switch devices.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!
Well it's a good thing I didn't get my hopes up for Aug 4 TOO much. It seems the Bionic will be coming later, as we mostly feared (despite our simultaneous good hopes) Cnet has just quoted the Moto CEO as saying it's coming in September.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-20085055-94/motorola-mobility-ceo-highlights-upcoming-products/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

With any luck THIS will be retracted in half an hour as well!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

tismondo posted:

Well it's a good thing I didn't get my hopes up for Aug 4 TOO much. It seems the Bionic will be coming later, as we mostly feared (despite our simultaneous good hopes) Cnet has just quoted the Moto CEO as saying it's coming in September.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-20085055-94/motorola-mobility-ceo-highlights-upcoming-products/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

With any luck THIS will be retracted in half an hour as well!

Yeah I said gently caress it and jumped ship first to a Droid 3, than to a Droid X2. I returned the Droid 3 because the battery life on it was pretty bad. Worse than my OG droid. The battery life on the X2 is fantastic so far though.

My area doesn't have 4G yet. Oh and all those complaints i had about 4.3 inch plus screens being too big? I was wrong. I guess it helps that the X2 is pretty drat thin, but I LOVE the feel of this thing in my hand.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah I said gently caress it and jumped ship first to a Droid 3, than to a Droid X2. I returned the Droid 3 because the battery life on it was pretty bad. Worse than my OG droid. The battery life on the X2 is fantastic so far though.

My area doesn't have 4G yet. Oh and all those complaints i had about 4.3 inch plus screens being too big? I was wrong. I guess it helps that the X2 is pretty drat thin, but I LOVE the feel of this thing in my hand.

Just out of curiosity, did you remember to disable the GSM radio on the Droid3? It really should be getting better battery life than the X2.

And I'm annoyed at the whole bionic situation. The sad part is, it's STILL probably going to be the only dual core LTE phone until November or later.

The phone situation on Verizon is so terrible right now.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

Just out of curiosity, did you remember to disable the GSM radio on the Droid3? It really should be getting better battery life than the X2.

And I'm annoyed at the whole bionic situation. The sad part is, it's STILL probably going to be the only dual core LTE phone until November or later.

The phone situation on Verizon is so terrible right now.

Yeah I disabled the GSM radio. Also did a factory reset. I'm only on my second day with the X2, but I've already seen a MAJOR improvement in my battery life and my usage habits haven't changed between phones.

Any reason why it "should" be getting better battery life than the X2? Is the dual core chip inside the D3 more power-efficient than the Tegra2 inside the X2?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The chipset should be about a wash, both are 1ghz Cortex A9 processors with almost the same size manufacturing process. The battery is also the same size The difference is simply the screen, smaller screen should be more power efficient.

It will be interesting to see what happens when your X2 gets Gingerbread and the updated blur.

In all though, most reviews I've seen paint the Droid3 has having great battery life and was the current standout winner of Verizon's lineup.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
I'm starting to think I'd still be OK with an SGSII 3G or whatever the new iPhone is over waiting any longer for the Bionic. Motorola/Verizon really dropped the ball for early adopters of the OG Droid.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

jfreder posted:

I'm starting to think I'd still be OK with an SGSII 3G or whatever the new iPhone is over waiting any longer for the Bionic. Motorola/Verizon really dropped the ball for early adopters of the OG Droid.

What the gently caress does that even mean? The phone you bought in 2009 is somehow less satisfactory due to when the Bionic is released? Go get a Droid 3.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

AppleCobbler posted:

What the gently caress does that even mean? The phone you bought in 2009 is somehow less satisfactory due to when the Bionic is released? Go get a Droid 3.

Some people don't like that it only has 512mb of Ram while other phones being released now usually have more.

Personally I didn't really care, both the Droid 3 and the Dx2 run really smooth. It could cause problems with future software updates though, I believe.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

AppleCobbler posted:

I said nothing about being less satisfied with the Droid? It's just that the timing for someone who bought a Droid on day one has had an upgrade for almost a month now while their "flagship" Droid-brand device that was unveiled in January is still not available. My city has also had 4G for a decent amount of time and is even due for expansion in August yet the only 4G phones available are essentially year old phones with 4G radios tacked on. Droid 3 seems like a decent phone, but I've lost my desire for a slide out keyboard. My roommate returned his D3 after a few days because he wasn't happy with it

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Will my friend be able to keep his old unlimited data plan if I give him my old DROID to test out? The way Verizon words it makes it sound like they only let you keep it I you upgrade, not if you switch devices.
The unlimited feature stays stuck to the line as long as there is a smartphone active on it.

Even if you have to switch to a non-smartphone temporarily because you're waiting for an insurance or warranty replacement you can get unlimited back.

If this happens make sure the Verizon person doing the switch submits an "inactive pricing request." As long as it's done within 60 days there should be no problem.

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010
Hey guys, just letting the people with the Samsung Fascinate know, that I just received my warranty replacement, the Droid Charge. They gave me a new one, so kudos to Verizon and if you haven't replaced your Fascinate, do it!

Also, I have a bit of a dilemma. Would it be wise to trade my Droid Charge for an Iphone 4? I know the new Iphone is coming out, but despite what phone I have, I will be due for an upgrade this December. i've been getting bored of the Android system, and admittedly a little frustrated with the constant crashes. I've also rooted my Fascinate so I know what that's all about. On the other hand, the Iphone 4 doesn't have LTE and I'd have to find a person willing to trade with me on Craigslist, which is also a huge pain in the rear end.

So what do you guys think? Am I a dumbass?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I think you're going to have trouble trading for an iphone. Most of the people with iphones either aren't going to give up and iphone for anything other than a new iphone or are trying to flip it for a profit and then pick up a new android. Assuming you're looking for an even trade. If you don't mind trading your phone + cash I'm sure that's possible though I really don't see the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

A Droid Charge for a 16GB iPhone 4 is a pretty straight-up trade in terms of market value, give or take 50 bucks. You won't manage a 32GB unit.

I've got a Droid Charge and I really like it; I'm honestly surprised people are buying other phones on Verizon right now. It's basically a Nexus S with shittier software (please god let them get CM7 working on this), LTE, 32GB capacity, and the best screen in smartphones today.

The rush to "future-proof" right now is a little confounding to me. Getting something solid with LTE and a great screen seems like the better bet (especially for audio nerds, since Samsung dropped the GS1's legendary Wolfson DAC from the GS2).

By the time a dual-core processor actually matters for Android, we'll have Tegra3 options available.

• Locked thread