Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric WK
Apr 10, 2008

i'm a festival,
i'm a parade.
I ordered Beauty and the Beast over the weekend and it originally said that it wouldn't ship until August 12th, but then it shipped last night and will be here Wednesday. I wonder if they give members preferential treatment when it comes to low stock items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Eric WK posted:

I ordered Beauty and the Beast over the weekend and it originally said that it wouldn't ship until August 12th, but then it shipped last night and will be here Wednesday. I wonder if they give members preferential treatment when it comes to low stock items.

Not sure. I placed an order for tons of stuff on the 12th. It's supposed to ship today, but it's 9:00pm EST where I am, so, uh, it's probably not shipping today. And I'm a member. :ohdear:

Eric WK
Apr 10, 2008

i'm a festival,
i'm a parade.

kaujot posted:

Not sure. I placed an order for tons of stuff on the 12th. It's supposed to ship today, but it's 9:00pm EST where I am, so, uh, it's probably not shipping today. And I'm a member. :ohdear:

Well for what it's worth, my tracking didn't begin until after 9 last night (I'm also on the East Coast).

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Eric WK posted:

Well for what it's worth, my tracking didn't begin until after 9 last night (I'm also on the East Coast).

When did you get your shipping notice?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I got my shipping notice today for Beauty and the Beast and Music Room. Not a member.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Egbert Souse posted:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews8/killing.htm :aaa:

FYI, my B&N stuff shipped yesterday except for The Music Room. Is anyone else having delays?

My DVDs (including Music Room) shipped last week. Haven't gotten it yet :(

Eric WK
Apr 10, 2008

i'm a festival,
i'm a parade.

kaujot posted:

When did you get your shipping notice?

I got the email at 12:42am.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Le Woad posted:

Did your Beauty and the Beast go through alright? Mine keeps getting delayed for shipment.

It did; I ordered it the morning it was released and it came in two days after. B&N.com is really a crapshoot during this sale... I had a lot of problems getting VIDEODROME delivered earlier this year.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blu-Ray.com on The Killing:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Killing-and-Killers-Kiss-Blu-ray/21865/#Review

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Welp, my whole order has been delayed :suicide:

Slavman
Jun 11, 2011

That looks pretty good. I think I'll pre-order this. Great artwork as well. Pre-ordering is not eligible for 50 off sale?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
They are, but only if the release date happens before the sale is over. That's why people were buying July's releases.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Wow, I just watched Pale Flower on blu-ray and absolutely fell in love with it. This was the first Japanese film of that time period that I'd ever seen on blu. It floored me. I don't know if the story itself is for everybody, but the look of the film, I can't imagine someone not being moved by. I very much recommend it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Slavman posted:

That looks pretty good. I think I'll pre-order this. Great artwork as well. Pre-ordering is not eligible for 50 off sale?

It's only $24 on Amazon. Buy it with Paths of Glory with free shipping and it's the same price as it would have been on B&N.

There is absolutely no reason not to buy The Killing or Paths of Glory outside of budgetary issues.

edit: DVD Beaver just put a review for Cul-de-Sac up.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 27, 2011

Slavman
Jun 11, 2011

Thanks for pointing that out. Combined with Paths of Glory via Amazon seems to be a good deal.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Charade was worth buying just for the opening credits.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
I watched Black Narcissus tonight and didn't like it very much at all. I'm not Indian, but the way that it portrays India feels so false and stereotypical. I understand that the world wasn't so globalized back then, but watching it now, it just comes across as mildly offensive. It feels like...this bland mishmash of all the trite Hollywood notions of Orientalism from the time. It really took me out of the moment.

The hammy acting of the English actors playing Indian characters, the themes of western christian piety in battle with the primal sensuality and paganism of [insert your Hollywoodized "exotic" land of choice here], and the score that contrasts its operatic style with the tribal drumming of the natives, so barbarous and primitive, constantly eating away at the emotional stability of the nuns...

The score is really what gets me the most. I can't get over the part where the Indian drummers are actually shown playing tabla, but what we hear is some kind of ominous stereotypical tribal jungle beat. The composer would have done well to watch The Music Room.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Skeletron posted:

I watched Black Narcissus tonight ... The composer would have done well to watch The Music Room.

The same Music Room that was made over a decade after Black Narcissus?

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.

FancyMike posted:

The same Music Room that was made over a decade after Black Narcissus?
Huh, I hadn't realized it was made in the 40s. It's a beautiful looking film, I'll give it that.

Rick Deckard
Jan 3, 2007
Ex-blade runner
Is it just me or is the packaging of Sweet Smell of Success amazing. Love the art work. The paper boxes have much bolder colors then the plastic cases and allows for more freedom to design. The book binding is much better then the stapled binds also.

Seven Samurai has the same packaging style. Are there any other Criterion's with this packaging?

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Rick Deckard posted:

Is it just me or is the packaging of Sweet Smell of Success amazing. Love the art work. The paper boxes have much bolder colors then the plastic cases and allows for more freedom to design. The book binding is much better then the stapled binds also.

Seven Samurai has the same packaging style. Are there any other Criterion's with this packaging?

Night of the Hunter has a similar style if I recall (I don't have it on me at the moment so I can't say for sure) as does the By Brakhage box set.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
So does Breathless.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Macrame_God posted:

Night of the Hunter has a similar style if I recall (I don't have it on me at the moment so I can't say for sure) as does the By Brakhage box set.

"Night" has an unusually flimsy variation that's more like one of the old digipaks Warner used to use.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

"Night" has an unusually flimsy variation that's more like one of the old digipaks Warner used to use.

That is true. I really like the packaging for the 4-disc DVD of The Last Emperor as well. I also think Salo has some impressive packaging too despite the film itself being drat near unwatchable.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The BBS boxset is really nice considering the price. It uses paper cases.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Aren't there some Criterions that have full length novels as part of their suppliments? (The Furies, I think, and a few others)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Aren't there some Criterions that have full length novels as part of their suppliments? (The Furies, I think, and a few others)

Vampyr does this too.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Furies, Short Cuts (OOP), The Man Who Fell to Earth (DVD only), Vampyr, Mr. Arkadin, and Burden of Dreams all have books included.

Seven Samurai, Breathless, Sweet Smell of Success, Pandora's Box, Bicycle Thieves, The BBS Story, Sternberg Silents, and By Brakhage (Blu) all have bound "mini books" made up of essays and other literature.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

penismightier posted:

Vampyr does this too.

I think My Own Private Idaho also has a book but I don't own it so I can't say for sure.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Egbert Souse posted:

The Furies, Short Cuts (OOP), The Man Who Fell to Earth (DVD only), Vampyr, Mr. Arkadin, and Burden of Dreams all have books included.

Seven Samurai, Breathless, Sweet Smell of Success, Pandora's Box, Bicycle Thieves, The BBS Story, Sternberg Silents, and By Brakhage (Blu) all have bound "mini books" made up of essays and other literature.

'Burden of Dreams' does? Really? I don't see it mentioned on the website but that would be incredible, presuming it's Herzog's memoir of the filming.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Archyduke posted:

'Burden of Dreams' does? Really? I don't see it mentioned on the website but that would be incredible, presuming it's Herzog's memoir of the filming.

It's Maureen Gosling and Les Blank's journals.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion's Two-Lane Blacktop (1971) includes a printed copy of Rudy Wurlitzer's screenplay.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Archyduke posted:

They published the journal he kept during the filming of Fitzcarraldo. I bought it a while ago, but never got around to reading it. I skimmed through the first few couple of pages, and it was Herzog describing the absolute poverty of the South American cities he was staying at and trying to explain to the executives at Fox that he wants to haul a real boat over a mountain and not just a model. I really should pick it up again, as it was really fascinating and seemed like a good read. Then again, what book filled with Herzog's crazy-poetic ramblings wouldn't be a good read?

You can find it on Amazon for about $10

http://www.amazon.com/Conquest-Useless-Reflections-Making-Fitzcarraldo/dp/0061575542/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311911260&sr=8-1

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Picked up a few things today.

The Music Room - The only known commodity, and given how godawful the print I saw back in the day was, an absolute must-buy for me.
Sweet Smell of Success - I can't see any way I don't adore this movie, from everything I've heard and read about it.

and, one calculated risk:

Yi Yi - I figure, given my generally conservative tastes, and the unbelievable acclaim this has garnered, that I'm pretty likely to find it excellent. Plus, I'm practically a virgin when it comes to non-Japanese Asian film, so I'm ready to jump in with both feet.

I may go back and get Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and/or Naked, both of which I greatly enjoy, but I'm not sure. I doubt I'd watch Naked all that soon, I only saw it within the past few months.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Rick Deckard posted:

Ugetsu is like this, too: it comes with separate paper sleeves and a thick booklet with some essays and short stories. It's a cool movie, too.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Are Double Life Of Veronique and Blow Out worth blind buying? I really liked Three Colors: Red and the clips I've seen from the latter look enticing.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
God yes, buy both immediately.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Egbert Souse posted:

Are Double Life Of Veronique and Blow Out worth blind buying? I really liked Three Colors: Red and the clips I've seen from the latter look enticing.

If you like sensuous, mysterious films then Double Life is a no-brainer. And it is jaw-droppingly gorgeous with a soundtrack to match its visuals.

Slavman
Jun 11, 2011

The soundtrack by Zbigniew Preisner is hauntingly beautiful. The film is just a bonus.

No, not really. The film is great as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Hector Beerlioz posted:

They published the journal he kept during the filming of Fitzcarraldo. I bought it a while ago, but never got around to reading it. I skimmed through the first few couple of pages, and it was Herzog describing the absolute poverty of the South American cities he was staying at and trying to explain to the executives at Fox that he wants to haul a real boat over a mountain and not just a model. I really should pick it up again, as it was really fascinating and seemed like a good read. Then again, what book filled with Herzog's crazy-poetic ramblings wouldn't be a good read?

You can find it on Amazon for about $10

http://www.amazon.com/Conquest-Useless-Reflections-Making-Fitzcarraldo/dp/0061575542/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311911260&sr=8-1

This is one of my favorite books of all time. The Herzog-ness of it cannot be understated. It's an amazing read.