Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's in the user manual, but they do warn you to not screw it up. Doing the battery will void your warranty.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Kilted Yaksman posted:

Does anyone know if you can use an employee purchase discount in-store? I want to get the 256GB 13" MBA, which is $1,503 with ESPP. Unfortunately, sales tax in Washington comes in at $142.79 :aaa:

I was thinking of buying one in-store when I visit a friend in Oregon next month.

The education definitely works in store, and I talked to a friend who used his Microsoft employee discount in store. That being said, it might be easier to order one online and have it delivered to your friend, if you are comfortable with doing that, just to make sure the store isn't sold out the day you are there.

ndrake posted:

I thought any time I opened it I did. Good to know. So even if it's done by a hack (me), and not an apple technician, the warranty lives?

I did a hard drive upgrade on my 2007 MBP, which was not officially supported at all (I had to look up instructions online), and they still covered an issue without any fuss near the end of the Applecare term. I imagine it would only come up if you hosed your poo poo up in the process since Apple is pretty good about that sort of thing in general.

Kilted Yaksman
Sep 25, 2003

Jaytan posted:

The education definitely works in store, and I talked to a friend who used his Microsoft employee discount in store. That being said, it might be easier to order one online and have it delivered to your friend, if you are comfortable with doing that, just to make sure the store isn't sold out the day you are there.
Haha, perfect, thanks. I'm actually planning on using my Microsoft employee discount too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ndrake posted:

Awesome, thanks.

So, anyone think I'd be gaining anything by increasing the hard drive speed? I bet more RAM would be more useful.

Open up activity monitor and see if you're even using all the RAM you have now. I'd just spend another $100 and get an SSD, but a WD Black would be a noticeable improvement.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I have a friend who is thinking of picking up a 13" MBP for school, and I've been able to answer most questions, but they asked about whether the i5 is sufficient (they're a architectural major, so it'd probably be stuff like AutoCad, etc.), or if they should pay extra for the i7.

I see that the i7 Turbos up higher, is slightly-faster in terms of the HD3000 on-board graphics, and has some features (I'm guessing they wouldn't use) such as AES-NI and such. Is the i7 worth the upgrade cost?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SourKraut posted:

I have a friend who is thinking of picking up a 13" MBP for school, and I've been able to answer most questions, but they asked about whether the i5 is sufficient (they're a architectural major, so it'd probably be stuff like AutoCad, etc.), or if they should pay extra for the i7.

I see that the i7 Turbos up higher, is slightly-faster in terms of the HD3000 on-board graphics, and has some features (I'm guessing they wouldn't use) such as AES-NI and such. Is the i7 worth the upgrade cost?

I just don't think 1280x800 is enough screen resolution for stuff like Autocad - something else to consider anyway. As far as CPU goes the I5s are still blazingly fast, doubt it'll be much of an issue.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

bassguitarhero posted:

There's also a 7300GT in here but I don't think that has a fan. There's no network cable connected, I'm using airport for internet.

Unless it's connected to a monitor try running without the 7300. That is like one of the worst cards ever made for the MP.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.
I have a late '06 Mac Pro that I'm trying to upgrade it from 2GB to 6GB of RAM, but it's only seeing 5GB.

I've got 2x2GB sticks on the 1st and 2nd slots of the upper board, 2x512MB on slots 3 and 4 of the upper board, and 2x512MB on the 1st and 2nd slots of the lower board. As far as I can tell, this is the correct placement, but it's not seeing the 2x512MB sticks on the lower board. Am I doing something wrong?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

SourKraut posted:

I'd tell him to get the 13" Air, simply because it has a much, much better screen (1440x900 in 13" vs. 1280x800 in 13") that will pay off for apps like AutoCAD. The i5 in the 13" MBA should more than enough.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

How much time do 1st year architecture students spend in AutoCAD anyway?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Not much. He probably will not be using AutoCAD much in fact. Considering they pay drafters to do that poo poo in the first place.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

Not much. He probably will not be using AutoCAD much in fact. Considering they pay drafters to do that poo poo in the first place.

I'd still suggest the Air (unless he wants to game) simply because it has a better screen and 1280x800 @ 13" blows nuts, IMHO. It's only $100 more than the cheapest 13" MBP.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

beefnoodle posted:

I hooked mine (13" 2011) to a Dell E2311H, which has a native resolution of 1920x1080. Poor results - poor contrast (whereas the same display works great with my Dell E6500 notebook). I moved the MBA to an older Dell 2005PFW running at 1680x1050 and it's working really well.
This sounds like a basic calibration thing that can be taken care of within a minute or so with the built in calibrator. Or just see if any of the other default display profiles look better.

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Anyone know how long until the old iMacs started showing up on the refurb store with ssds? I'm looking to get the new 27'' iMac but 500 for the ssd is a bit hard to stomach..

Actually, does anyone know if the 27'' with only ssd is installed where the primary hard drive would go or under the optical drive like the hd+ssd version? If it's the latter, might as well save $100 and add a faster hd myself. I'm just not comfortable removing the logic board to get the ssd in but a standard hd swap seems pretty straightforward.
By old do you mean the 2010s? Cause I've seen them on there a lot for a while now, including the 27” with SSD...even better, they may have been 2011s. Just keep the iMac 27" refurb page open and check daily I guess.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

japtor posted:

By old do you mean the 2010s? Cause I've seen them on there a lot for a while now, including the 27” with SSD...even better, they may have been 2011s. Just keep the iMac 27" refurb page open and check daily I guess.

http://refurb-tracker.com/

They have RSS and email alerts for stuff in the refurb store.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):

japtor posted:

This sounds like a basic calibration thing that can be taken care of within a minute or so with the built in calibrator. Or just see if any of the other default display profiles look better.

They've got the 2010s but I'm waiting for a 2011 with SSD.
Does anyone know the answer to my other question though? Is the SSD in the SSD only iMac installed in the main hard drive area or under the optical drive where it'd go if the primary spot were filled with the regular drive?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

FCKGW posted:

http://refurb-tracker.com/

They have RSS and email alerts for stuff in the refurb store.
Ooh nice, I'll use this to keep an eye out for new Mac minis.

King of all Machines Operate posted:

They've got the 2010s but I'm waiting for a 2011 with SSD.
Does anyone know the answer to my other question though? Is the SSD in the SSD only iMac installed in the main hard drive area or under the optical drive where it'd go if the primary spot were filled with the regular drive?
Going by the iMac specs page it doesn't sound like there's an SSD only iMac: "Configurable to 2TB hard drive or 256GB solid-state second drive"

And why is the store down on a Thursday night :ninja:

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
According to the refurb tracker, there was an i7/SSD 2011 iMac for $2289 yesterday... something I'd definitely pull the trigger on. Thanks so much for that link.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

japtor posted:

Believe me, I went through all that.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

dissss posted:

I just don't think 1280x800 is enough screen resolution for stuff like Autocad - something else to consider anyway. As far as CPU goes the I5s are still blazingly fast, doubt it'll be much of an issue.

movax posted:

I'd tell him to get the 13" Air, simply because it has a much, much better screen (1440x900 in 13" vs. 1280x800 in 13") that will pay off for apps like AutoCAD. The i5 in the 13" MBA should more than enough.

Thanks for the suggestions! He does have a 20" monitor already with his older desktop, and was thinking of connecting the MBP (or the MBA) to it. Not sure how much he'd be in AutoCAD while on the go, but I can ask.

He also interns with a firm, so that's partly why I'm guessing he's been doing more in AutoCAD.

For my own MBP:

Bob Morales mentioned how someone could throw a Scorpio in to boost the performance (down the road I'll go with an SSD once costs come down for larger drives), but I've heard the Scorpio Black 320 has issues with vibrations? What about the 500GB Scorpio Blue?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Interesting. Apple has replaced 24" LED Cinema Displays of people who bought Thunderbolt Macs with 27's due to that flickering issue.

I guess I'll give them a call tomorrow!

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Accipiter posted:

Then while I stand corrected, I would still make drat sure to call Apple support myself, state my AppleCare ID up-front, verify that this is A-OK, get them to document it in a ticket, and record the ticket number BEFORE ever attempting to replace the hard drive.

AppleCare is an excellent support structure, but if anything went wrong I drat sure want a paper trail saying all of the user-servicible stuff I was doing was kosher.

The manual states the HD is replaceable and gives instructions on how to do so, it's pretty unambiguously not going to be an issue unless you put a screwdriver through the logic board in the process.

(Off the top of my head, it's six screws to remove the bottom case, two screws to remove a bracket, and four screw-in mounting posts).

e: derp, beaten.

SourKraut posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! He does have a 20" monitor already with his older desktop, and was thinking of connecting the MBP (or the MBA) to it. Not sure how much he'd be in AutoCAD while on the go, but I can ask.

He also interns with a firm, so that's partly why I'm guessing he's been doing more in AutoCAD.

For my own MBP:

Bob Morales mentioned how someone could throw a Scorpio in to boost the performance (down the road I'll go with an SSD once costs come down for larger drives), but I've heard the Scorpio Black 320 has issues with vibrations? What about the 500GB Scorpio Blue?

I have the 1 TB Scorpio Blue and it's silent, it does have a minor firmware conflict my mid-2010 MBP, thought (disk heads unload every eight seconds unless APM is disabled).

For AutoCAD, I found 1280x800 to be fine for first-year work.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 29, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Someone was asking about the i7 battery life on the MBA:

quote:

anandshimpi: .@nixtweet doing battery life testing on the 11-inch i7 now, expect an update in the coming days

Anand's got us covered, so that should answer the last question, what is the battery life like on the MBA with the i7 upgrade.

Jammer Jones
Jul 11, 2002

Member of the Yomiko Readman Fanboy Army!

NoDamage posted:

Under $100 would be ideal, but I could probably stretch to $150 or so if it was really worth it. I've heard Tom Bihn's bags are great in general, s that's definitely a consideration. The Muzetto looks awesome but $240 is a bit too pricey to me.

Actually this is a bit of an unusual requirement but I need to be able to carry my 13" Macbook Air and an iPad in the same bag (for development purposes). Fortunately they are both relatively thin devices.

http://www.stmbags.com/catalog/laptop-shoulder-bags/alley-small-laptop-shoulder-bag/

I got this one for my 13 MBP, it's decent and could be found at amazon for under 40 dollars. It can fit both devices

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
So, after striping my drives and upgrading my RAM to 8GB, my Mac Mini Server is absolutely flying. I think the bump in VRAM definitely makes a difference in any light gaming I want to do (TF2 runs a lot better), too. Now I'm just trying to decide if it's worth spending the extra money for a FW800 enclosure versus a USB 2.0 one for Time Machine because it would be great if it went any faster.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Kenshirou posted:

So, after striping my drives and upgrading my RAM to 8GB, my Mac Mini Server is absolutely flying. I think the bump in VRAM definitely makes a difference in any light gaming I want to do (TF2 runs a lot better), too. Now I'm just trying to decide if it's worth spending the extra money for a FW800 enclosure versus a USB 2.0 one for Time Machine because it would be great if it went any faster.

FW800 is much faster than USB and I'd suggest it. While the test is dated my tests on my 2011 iMac were very similar in terms of speed http://www.barefeats.com/usb2.html

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
So my iMac is still in the store getting the hard drive replaced. (I'm one of the people that got an iMac in May, and therefore my Mac's iTB seagate hard drive may be bad.) The Genius that served me first tried to fight me on whether the issue was even true (I politely recommended he google the issue, which he did) and then they said it would take 5 days.

Yesterday was Day 5 and I got no call from the Apple store, so near the end of the day I called them, and a rather rude lady told me the computer wasn't done and it may take a few more days because they are "backed up." This long, to swap out a hard drive? Really?

I'm trying to be fair here because I've never dealt with the Genius Bar before. I ask my fellow goons here - is this normal? Do Geniuses really take this long to get things done? Even things like hard drive swapping?

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick

flyboi posted:

FW800 is much faster than USB and I'd suggest it. While the test is dated my tests on my 2011 iMac were very similar in terms of speed http://www.barefeats.com/usb2.html

I mean having not used FW800 (I've only owned Macbooks and a Macbook Air since my 2006 iMac) I'm assuming it will make copying files that much easier. Any recommendations for an enclosure? I usually just buy whatever's cheap and has solid material, but the Macally ones look pretty solid, if not overpriced. I have a 1TB SATA 3 drive waiting to be dropped in, but in the meantime I'm using my USB 2.0 portable drive, which is taking forever.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Kenshirou posted:

I mean having not used FW800 (I've only owned Macbooks and a Macbook Air since my 2006 iMac) I'm assuming it will make copying files that much easier. Any recommendations for an enclosure? I usually just buy whatever's cheap and has solid material, but the Macally ones look pretty solid, if not overpriced. I have a 1TB SATA 3 drive waiting to be dropped in, but in the meantime I'm using my USB 2.0 portable drive, which is taking forever.

All the FW800 capable enclosures I've seen are around the same price. They are more expensive than USB only enclosures, but in my experience FW800 blows USB2 out of the water in terms of performance.

Most of the enclosures are probably very similar (fan-less, aluminum construction, Oxford chipsets). I'm using an OWC Mercury Elite Pro myself. They offer them with drives installed or just the bare enclosure.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

SERIOUS posted:

So my iMac is still in the store getting the hard drive replaced. (I'm one of the people that got an iMac in May, and therefore my Mac's iTB seagate hard drive may be bad.) The Genius that served me first tried to fight me on whether the issue was even true (I politely recommended he google the issue, which he did) and then they said it would take 5 days.

Yesterday was Day 5 and I got no call from the Apple store, so near the end of the day I called them, and a rather rude lady told me the computer wasn't done and it may take a few more days because they are "backed up." This long, to swap out a hard drive? Really?

I'm trying to be fair here because I've never dealt with the Genius Bar before. I ask my fellow goons here - is this normal? Do Geniuses really take this long to get things done? Even things like hard drive swapping?

Really depends on the store. Some of them are absolutely packed and busy. It's not that it takes a long time to replace the HD, they could do it in 20 minutes. It's that they also have a long list of other repairs to do and they go through them in order. It sucks they are being rude though, they must be jaded as hell.

My city has 2 Apple Stores that are always way too busy and repairs take forever so I go to another one that not as much people visit on Chestnut St. I waited almost 2 weeks for one to replace the broken optical drive on my iMac.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

flyboi posted:

Another thing to remember is that Firewire utilizes a dedicated controller that mediates the transfer; USB still makes your CPU do most of the work.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

movax posted:

Someone was asking about the i7 battery life on the MBA:

Anand's got us covered, so that should answer the last question, what is the battery life like on the MBA with the i7 upgrade.
I just checked out Anand's twitter and they said that the LG's screen has better numbers (whatever that means in real world performance, who knows?) but has a worse viewing angle than the Samsung one. The previous posts about the screen differences made me a bit nervous but that should help clear my mind.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
So do all 13" MBAs use the Toshiba drive, and all 11" models use the Samsung? Or are both drives mixed into both models?

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

qbert posted:

So do all 13" MBAs use the Toshiba drive, and all 11" models use the Samsung? Or are both drives mixed into both models?

Mixed

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

So I ran the whole memtest in single user mode and it didn't find any errors. I'll try pulling the 7300gt tonight since I don't use it anyways, otherwise it's looking like a mobo/memory slot problem. Thankfully I have the weekend off so I can spend some time doink doinking around with slot positions

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Just to get this out of my system, I just bought a high end 27" iMac and holy gently caress best computer ever.

Anyway, I have a small line/scratch/thing between the glass and the actual display. It almost looks like there's something stuck in there. Has anyone seen something like that?

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Kilometers Davis posted:

Just to get this out of my system, I just bought a high end 27" iMac and holy gently caress best computer ever.

Anyway, I have a small line/scratch/thing between the glass and the actual display. It almost looks like there's something stuck in there. Has anyone seen something like that?

Exchange it. It's probably going to drive you crazy now that you know it's there.

It's definitely not common but I've heard of it happening before.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Would that be something they would ship me a new iMac for? I really don't want to drive back to lovely annoying Orlando just for this.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you just bought it they'll just give you a new one.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Only if they still have it in stock, I'd call them first to check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It might just be hair or a bit of particulate under the glass. If you're feeling adventurous you can get a suction cup, tilt the glass out a bit and blow it with a hair drier and see if it comes flying out.