Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

evilnissan posted:

Washed the RX8 and my rusty spot count went from a 3 to a 8.

I swear the PO must have tailgated salt trucks.

I need to take some pictures, the more I think about sanding and touching it up my self the more I think I am going to gently caress it up.

Thank god the hood is aluminum, it's only got about 600 paint chips.

Time to strip and polish the hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

meatpimp posted:

Some people buy a Z06 and don't tell AI about it. They're typically bad people.

Muffinpox posted:

Some people buy one, tell you, and still haven't given you a ride 2 months later despite living a mile away :argh:
KIMBO YOURE AN rear end in a top hat

sometime soon you boston nerds should meet me at publick house, we'll get kimbo trashed and then we can joyride the vette

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

evilnissan posted:

Washed the RX8 and my rusty spot count went from a 3 to a 8.

I swear the PO must have tailgated salt trucks.

I need to take some pictures, the more I think about sanding and touching it up my self the more I think I am going to gently caress it up.

Thank god the hood is aluminum, it's only got about 600 paint chips.

You don't need to strip it, just use a clay bar on the rust spots. I used to go nuts about this living in Germany, so glad to be back in a state that doesn't salt roads. (read: doesn't snow)

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Finished rear brakes on the 89 Integra, here's some pics of the crap that had to be dealt with.

One of the calipers, yes the boot was torn wide open like that on the car.

Pads

New calipers run $95 a side plus a $65 core. Replaced both rears.

Finished product. They got new rotors too, obviously

Say what you will about drum brakes, but honestly, on the rear they're simpler. These were by far the worst disc brakes I've ever worked on, they're not simple and nothing was easy like front discs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It all depends on how the parking brake is handled. On Mazdas it's pretty easy, you spin the piston back down the bore instead of just clamping it - that's about it. Others like my old Volvo use a drum in the rotor hat for the parking brake so the caliper was as dead simple as a front one.

Still others, are clusterfucks. The late-'70s Eldo calipers are desirable for rear disc conversions simply because they've been around forever and are basically the standard GM D52 caliper, with a parking brake mechanism shoved into it. By all accounts, however, the parking brake is poo poo.

Whenever I get around to ripping the rear drums off of my truck, I'll try the early fourthgen F-Body calipers.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
I got my massive exhaust leak fixed! The pipe going into the resonator from the cat wasn't really attached, other than being shoved inside the resonator, and it made my four cylinder sound like a bro truck. Of course now that the exhaust is so quiet the terrible shrieking vibration around 3000-4000 RPM is much more noticeable. I'm thinking it's a heat shield, hopefully I can figure out which one.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Drained/filled my transaxle.

Do you know what gear oil with 146k miles/12 years smells like? I'll give you a hint: :psypop::hf::barf:

I pulled the drain plug first, stuck my finger in to see how low it was, and... uh.. wait a minute, nothing. I couldn't feel any oil. Sludge yes, oil no. I could see the gears through the opening and they were coated in oil, but it was nowhere near full. It holds 4.8 quarts, my 6 quart catch pan only filled halfway. It's seeping from one of the axle seals. :doh:

Also spent 45 minutes going at the LF axle nut with a 2 ft breaker bar and sledgehammer. All I managed to do was knock a chunk out of the (concrete) garage floor. Need to pull the LF knuckle off so I can have a new bearing and hub pressed in.

Any DFW goons have an electric impact wrench that I could use for a day? :allears: (or know where I could rent one)

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Babby's first sticker, I feel 19 again.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

some texas redneck posted:

Also spent 45 minutes going at the LF axle nut with a 2 ft breaker bar and sledgehammer. All I managed to do was knock a chunk out of the (concrete) garage floor. Need to pull the LF knuckle off so I can have a new bearing and hub pressed in.

Any DFW goons have an electric impact wrench that I could use for a day? :allears: (or know where I could rent one)

Socket on axle nut. Breaker bar on socket. Breaker bar handle touching garage floor. Car in reverse. Slowly/gently release clutch. Presto.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Washed and waxed yesterday, and took a couple "real" photos.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bucephalus posted:

Socket on axle nut. Breaker bar on socket. Breaker bar handle touching garage floor. Car in reverse. Slowly/gently release clutch. Presto.

I thought about that, I wasn't sure if that would end in amusing failure or not. But it turns out a ~5 ft section of iron pipe on the breaker bar works wonders, I busted a nut real quick with that. :v: Convincing the 2 bolts attaching the steering knuckle to the strut to budge was another circle of hell though.

gently caress YOU CAR, I'M BETTER THAN YOU

:smug:

In the morning I'm gonna take that mess to a machine shop and have the new bearing and seals pressed in.

Bocklebee
Mar 21, 2008

ate dog two before
Today, after work, I cleaned the inside of my windows, and I scrubbed my rims with a toothbrush.

A.I. I just thought you should know.

Maybe tomorrow, if I'm feeling industrious, I will vacuum.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Velcro'd on my front license plate!

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Continued stripping the 16x8 style 5's I want to paint white and put on my e34. Whatever kind of primer is on there (epoxy?) is a pain in the rear end to remove. Stripper peels the paint fast as hell but the primer just kind of gets a little softer. I wish they weren't aluminum so I could just dunk the whole thing in a bucket of lye or tsp.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Put some NGK spark plugs and wires in my Accord. Tried to install a new head unit but it keeps popping the fuse so I have to figure out why tomorrow. I also managed to break the hazard light into a million pieces during the process of removing the old head unit. A spring and pin popped out from behind it and went flying only God knows where, and of course I can just pop the hazard button back in because its stuck in the on position...

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Put some NGK spark plugs and wires in my Accord. Tried to install a new head unit but it keeps popping the fuse so I have to figure out why tomorrow. I also managed to break the hazard light into a million pieces during the process of removing the old head unit. A spring and pin popped out from behind it and went flying only God knows where, and of course I can just pop the hazard button back in because its stuck in the on position...

Haha sorry but screwing up headunit installs always amuses me.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Cleaned & installed a 44k mile replacement passenger's seat for my XT. The original seat had velour worn off on the bolsters and sun damage.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Got a sunburn on my legs and head while I was trying to bring the daughter's 95 Neon back to life. I think the coil has given up the ghost.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
In the ongoing chronicles of me keeping my brother's Focus on the road; replaced his passenger-side brake caliper which was sticking, and then replaced his driver's side rear drum when he discovered two of the four studs had sheared off while pulling the car out of my garage.

If a family member decides to buy a car mainly because you know how to work on it, run away. Every problem they have will become your problem.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
Changed the sway bar link on my Xantia, goodbye annoying clunks!

Next up: CV joint boot. (you can see the boot has already leaked some of it's grease out)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dropped the knuckle off with a friend this morning to get a new bearing pressed in. He said the old one pretty much shattered when it was pressed out. That's bad right? :v: The metal had turned blue with some rust and lot of pitting.

Also replaced the drivers side axle seal, spilled a bunch of sweet 80W90 on myself, and put everything back together once my friend dropped off the knuckle.

It's so strange being able to hear the stereo when the car is moving. And the engine. And even wind noise. All I could hear before was that damned wheel bearing.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

Guinness posted:

Washed and waxed yesterday, and took a couple "real" photos.

This can't go unnoticed. That looks fantastic. Gorgeous facelifted E46.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ordered a slew of parts for the Cobalt SS: 3" downpipe and cat-back exhaust, Trifecta tune and update cable, Injen hard intercooler pipes, a shoty antenna to replace my humongous scratched-up one, a center console/arm rest (my car doesn't have one from the factory), and new headlights with black housings. The exhaust isn't available until Friday, but hopefully everything else will ship ahead so I can put it all on.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
Replaced the brake pads.

:stare:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Installed my new input adapter, which gives my stereo a 3.5mm jack I can plug into anything. It's routed under the OBC and through the hole in the top of the little compartment there in my E36. Now I can listen to Pandora at will!

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

I've always loved the look of the GM B-bodies and I've always wanted a cheap car to learn to fix up. I snagged a 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 that is overall in good shape, but it had pathetic dash lighting, a broken radio and needed some major interior cleaning.

I had to drop the steering column down to get at the speedometer cable to be able to remove the speedometer cluster to get at the dash lights. Replaced all of the lights (indicators, main lighting, dummy lights) with wide-angle LEDs in the original colors.

Now I can actually read the dash without the assistance of street lights.

New head unit. Also installed new speakers all around since the originals were 26 years old and sounded like a console TV with wicker speaker grilles.

Finished up with a forensic scrub of the entire interior. Hot water, orange degreaser, a scrub brush and a Bissel.

Hell yeah. I'm commuting in comfort and style. I love this car way more than I should.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

X-Ultron posted:

Hell yeah. I'm commuting in comfort and style. I love this car way more than I should.

It doesn't matter what you own, as long as your happy that's all that matters! Any more shots of your beast?

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

X-Ultron posted:

The post your ride thread is that a way. Get over there stat.

That is one nice interior. Any shots of it dirty?

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Manny posted:

Replaced the brake pads.

Something is wrong with the caliper that caused the top pad to wear unevenly like that.

antitroll
Jun 1, 2000

I hate the Midway
Replaced the CEL and Air Bag light on my 99 accent that the PO removed. Although the fuse appears to be okay, the Air Bag light remains on. Getting ready to be screwed by the dealership.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I had a 95 Acclaim, and once the air bag light came on for whatever reason, it had to be turned off by replacing the air bag ecu (which was located under the stereo in the dashboard) because, apparently, once it detected an air bag event it was toast.

antitroll
Jun 1, 2000

I hate the Midway

Geirskogul posted:

I had a 95 Acclaim, and once the air bag light came on for whatever reason, it had to be turned off by replacing the air bag ecu (which was located under the stereo in the dashboard) because, apparently, once it detected an air bag event it was toast.
Yeah, after checking with the dealership and finding out it's going to cost $80 just for an air bag ecu reset, I'm going to try my luck at the pick-and-pull.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Today I let down my tyres a little.

I hopped in my car and was surprised by how hard the ride seemed when my girlfriend proudly announced she'd put some air in the tyres.

50psi all round. Thanks honey.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
In order to expect to get a million miles from "the million mile car", one must expect to feed it a steady diet of tires.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Replaced rear left running light housing and third brake light on GFs 2001 Beetle, now the brake lights are out, told its probably brake light switch, bought new one for 4$, going to fix.

If you have a guess as to why the brake lights are out after the fix, check out my post in the VW thread here: voila

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

New Intercooler pipes:

New center console/arm rest (never mind the scratched up e-brake)

New headlights.

I also got my downpipe and my tune/PCM update cable, but I'm waiting to install those until my cat-back comes next week.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Lets see, what did I do with my time off of SA? :q:

First this:

Then this (new 3.7 IDM. Was throwing a P1312 - Even for an LPT it hauls again):

And this:

Finally, this:

When taking the last, this flew on me akin to 14 INCH's spiderbabies. (looked a lot uglier before it was squished):

Going to sand and paint the blade arms, and probably the exhaust tip (black from the factory) with a can of BBQ black heat safe rustoeum.

I also bought groceries and two toilet seats, but that's not very AI, since they're going on actual toilets.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 7, 2011

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Arms painted a half dozen times, dried, and put back:

That color matched so well (and I got the high temp/bbq paint), that I opted to mask off the rear bumper cover and paint the beat up flat black exhaust tip after about half an hour of scrubbing and sanding:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
And the motor comes back out of the car again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

New peep mirror I got yesterday. I also re-bled and adjusted the brakes from Friday's replacement of the rears. Tightened up the steering box to get rid of some looseness. Trucks almost safely driveable now. I have a few more parts coming this week to upgrade it to daily driver status.