Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

NecronSchmecron posted:

To those who suffered or are suffering from painting burnout: How did you overcome it if you did? I'm not churning poo poo out like I used to and have only completed a couple models in the past few months. Should I just oath a bunch of stuff again? I feel like the oath thread may be part of the cause of my burnout. I've tried painting figs from other systems (infinity) and though the models are cool, I don't think it's helping with my motivation.

Do some modeling for a while, work on some terrain, take a break and read some books. Get a seed of an idea for something new and go outside your comfort zone to try a different technique than what you've been doing. Look at doing some kind of hyper-stylized models, even if it's not going to lead to a whole army.

Dunno. Just spitballing.

edit: Oh, and clean your space and reorganize your models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

NecronSchmecron posted:

To those who suffered or are suffering from painting burnout: How did you overcome it if you did? I'm not churning poo poo out like I used to and have only completed a couple models in the past few months. Should I just oath a bunch of stuff again? I feel like the oath thread may be part of the cause of my burnout. I've tried painting figs from other systems (infinity) and though the models are cool, I don't think it's helping with my motivation.

I've been painting a 5 man IG Company Command Squad this month, and though I feel that euphoria again somewhat, I feel painting too much more, a squad of 10 or 20 guys for example, might send me too far down the hole. This happened once long ago with my old Star Trek modeling hobby. I don't want it to happen to my tiny space men one. :)

The Oaths definitely contributed to my burnout. I had oathed something, was sort of bored painting it, but felt like I couldn't put it down and paint something else because, you know, oath. So instead I just kept finding other things to do, vaguely dreading painting, and I wound up not painting for almost a year.

IG is sort of rough for that, since most of your stuff will be same-y, but it helps for me to just find something drastically different to paint. I get bored painting my purple chaos marines, I paint a tank or an HQ guy or an ork thing or one of my friend's eldar, whatever, just make sure it's different.

quote:

edit: Oh, and clean your space and reorganize your models.

Seconding this, too. What got me back into the hobby at all was cleaning my basement, which involves cleaning my painting desk and gaming shelves/table, and yeah you raelly do start to think "wait, huh, this poo poo was fun, I should do this again.

Just try to avoid putting yourself on a timeline. If you say "I think this squad will be done in 4 days", then you start to view 4 days as your deadline and it really becomes work.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 28, 2011

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Dominion posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with using colored (ie, not black or white) spray paint to basecoat plastics? Cause unless I am missing something it seems like a pretty easy way to prime/basecoat something like your average Crayola chapter of marines (Blood Angels/Ultras/Fists/Salamanders/etc).

Seconding the Army Painter Primers. I've used them as base coats for various things and I've have good results. Check out their website for detailed directions so you don't gently caress your poo poo up. You may think you know how to use spray paint and end up awful results.

Kasonic posted:

Dipping.

Now that I play Khador in Warmachine, I'm wondering how well their models respond to it. It looks like Doom Reavers or Uhlans would respond really well, whereas Iron Fang Pikemen or jacks would just look sloppy on flat areas like their shoulders or shields. So what I'm asking is, has anyone dipped anything Privateer Press, especially Khador, and how did it turn out for you?

Edit: I plan to genuinely give painting a shot, but if I get x5 the detail for a quarter the effort on a few models, I'll do it.

I painted 42 Doom Reavers for my friend to dip and take to GenCon last year. He did the jacks. They turned out acceptable. If you're going to dip your stuff, you pretty much have to plan your paint job around it being dipped.

If dipping is what you want to do, don't let people give you poo poo about it not being "really painted". It's all about how much effort do you want to put in to get the results you want.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Crossposting from the Warham thread:

So this is probably a longshot, but does anyone have some spare bits they would sell/trade/give me? I'm looking for the cloak from a fantasy Dark Elf Corsair, and a plastic nemesis force halberd.

Two guesses what I'm making.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Dominion posted:

Crossposting from the Warham thread:

So this is probably a longshot, but does anyone have some spare bits they would sell/trade/give me? I'm looking for the cloak from a fantasy Dark Elf Corsair, and a plastic nemesis force halberd.

Two guesses what I'm making.

What's funny is that I have both lying around and have zero interest in salamanders. I don't have a PM option, but if your bold enough to give me your email I might be able to send out both for sale.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Bavius posted:

What's funny is that I have both lying around and have zero interest in salamanders. I don't have a PM option, but if your bold enough to give me your email I might be able to send out both for sale.

Wow, sweet. Yeah, email is fine with me. joshthestampede at gmail.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

NecronSchmecron posted:

To those who suffered or are suffering from painting burnout: How did you overcome it if you did?

If you don't feel like painting just don't paint for a while. There's more to life than little plastic men.

It's how I've managed to produce no finished units in the 15 years since I first gave GW my wallet.

Fingers crossed this time, though!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

NecronSchmecron posted:

I've been painting a 5 man IG Company Command Squad this month, and though I feel that euphoria again somewhat, I feel painting too much more, a squad of 10 or 20 guys for example, might send me too far down the hole. This happened once long ago with my old Star Trek modeling hobby. I don't want it to happen to my tiny space men one. :)

I find that changing gears is always helpful. I try to have two different army projects going at the same time, so that I can switch between them - it doesn't take me long to get tired of painting orks, and when I do I swap to Eldar. Note that I also limit myself to two armies, because otherwise you end up with forty million different things.

If you find that changing projects isn't helping with painting fatigue, take a break! For both my armies, I have a thing that I am supposed to be painting next, and also a thing that I am working on building/converting/rescuing from my 14year old past mistakes. So if I am bored of painting both orks and eldar, I sit down and work on my scratch-built battlewagon instead.

I find the oaths helpful for giving me some sort of direction and deadline to work to, but nothing actually happens if you fail them anymore, so don't be afraid to walk away from an oath that is frustrating you. You can also use the oath thread to provide motivation to do something that won't give you points - like oathing some terrain or a modeling project. You might recall that liljonas spent last year oathing his 15mm Shogun stuff (I think) which didn't count for anything pointswise, but helped keep him organized and on track all the same.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I threw caution to the winds and tried a fuckton of new weathering techniques together for some tanks, tried some of that fake-lighting effect on some miniatures and got creative. I also took a break for some side projects, like Custodian Guard Terminators just for the hell of it. What keeps me going is watching my miniatures case slowly fill up; when I got back into the hobby I swore I would not field a miniature that was not painted and that has kept me going... having probably close to 3000pts of painted Ultras feels pretty good.

Also, a package from Forge World arrived today, containing Ultramarines terminator pauldrons for a termie assault squad that was missing them and my brand new contemptor dreadnought. I have dropped everything to work on this model and so far I am really impressed with the quality of the casting and sharpness of detail on the model. Pics will be posted when the beast is complete.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
How does the Baal Red wash look? The images on GW make it look more pink then anything. Id like to give my Purifiers a red tint and assumed that would be the easiest way after seeing some of the GK painting guides using Asurmen Blue. But id like to avoid making them pink.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Drumstick posted:

How does the Baal Red wash look? The images on GW make it look more pink then anything. Id like to give my Purifiers a red tint and assumed that would be the easiest way after seeing some of the GK painting guides using Asurmen Blue. But id like to avoid making them pink.

With one coat over white/silver it is more pink than red, sadly. You can try multiple coats. I use it to glaze my red armor on orks and it really deepens reds.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Drumstick posted:

I can tell you over a solid coat of Blood Red it darkens it nicely but leaves it very red. It only really works on brighter reds, against darker ones it doesn't contrast anything very well.

For a red metal color I suppose you'll just have to mix some red with boltgun and chainmail until you find the desired shade.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Picked up this hotness in a Bartertown trade...

Looking forward to painting it 6 months from now!

Pretty funny that some dude making bootlegs in Russia can make better sculpts than the official GW model.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
So probably A stupid question and it's probably been answered 4500000 times in this thread but eh.

Does anyone in Australia know of A really good paint stripper? I've got A bunch of old 3rd ed models from back when I was pure poo poo and they've got about 5000 layers on them! (50/50 mix of plastic and metal)

Want to clean them up and do them some justice.

For content, here's an image of the last thing I was working on

Arson Fire
Oct 8, 2010

Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I recently finished my Malanthrope.

I think this is a great model, but it was pretty awkward to assemble. It really does not want to stand up straight. There was also some rather bad miscasting around a few of the middle-back carapace plates. I cleaned it up as well as I could, but it's still a bit bumpy looking.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Arson Fire posted:

I recently finished my Malanthrope.

I think this is a great model, but it was pretty awkward to assemble. It really does not want to stand up straight. There was also some rather bad miscasting around a few of the middle-back carapace plates. I cleaned it up as well as I could, but it's still a bit bumpy looking.

Looks good, especially the carapace. I always wondered how that thing stood up.

What do people in the UK use for their undercoat spray?

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

Bang3r posted:

So probably A stupid question and it's probably been answered 4500000 times in this thread but eh.

Does anyone in Australia know of A really good paint stripper? I've got A bunch of old 3rd ed models from back when I was pure poo poo and they've got about 5000 layers on them! (50/50 mix of plastic and metal)

For content, here's an image of the last thing I was working on

I use Detol, works like a charm. Chucked a bunch of the metal marine vets I picked up on the cheap off ebay overnight. The horrible paint used came off and the the models were fine.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Pierzak posted:

And what exactly causes it?

It's the product itself that is terrible. There's really no other reason. To whit, I've a friend who used Purity Seal inside an honest-to-God spray booth made for spraying auto paint (self-contained, humidity controlled, full air exchange, etc.) and it still frosted.

On the plus side, if you sprayed GW models, call them and tell them what Purity Seal did and apparently they are willing to send replacement models. :pwn:

Drumstick posted:

Id like to give my Purifiers a red tint and assumed that would be the easiest way after seeing some of the GK painting guides using Asurmen Blue. But id like to avoid making them pink.

Best solution I could think of would be to very carefully thin some red ink and go over it. You might be able to use P3's Mixing Medium to thin it without making it pink, but if not, just water and flo-aid should do it.

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jul 30, 2011

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Bang3r posted:

Simple Green. you can pick up a 2L bottle from Bunnings. Just put the models in a container, submerge them in Simple Green overnight and then scrub them with an old toothbrush.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Oh, we get Simple Green here too? That's awesome. How is the smell compared to Detol? I cleaned some sisters a while back and they still smell like a hospital :(

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dr. Phildo posted:

Oh, we get Simple Green here too? That's awesome. How is the smell compared to Detol? I cleaned some sisters a while back and they still smell like a hospital :(

Simple Green doesn't really smell if you wash it with water once afterwards. And honestly I like the smell anyway.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Simple Green doesn't really smell if you wash it with water once afterwards. And honestly I like the smell anyway.

THE SMELL DOESN'T COME OFF

Every time I use that stuff my hands smell like Simple Green for at least 24 hours unless I shower twice. It doesn't smell horrible but the smell doesn't go away without a fight.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Dr. Phildo posted:

Simple Green smells very piney, not medicinal or "cleaning product" at all.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

Looks good, especially the carapace. I always wondered how that thing stood up.

What do people in the UK use for their undercoat spray?

I use The Army Painter after a guy in my local shop recommended it; it gives a really nice finish and was fairly good value too.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SRM posted:

THE SMELL DOESN'T COME OFF

Every time I use that stuff my hands smell like Simple Green for at least 24 hours unless I shower twice. It doesn't smell horrible but the smell doesn't go away without a fight.

Oh, well yeah it'll stay on your hands if you don't wear gloves. Which is why I wear gloves. But it doesn't really stay on the models for too long.

So yeah, wear gloves.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So after being out of country for a while I got to pound out the rest of my assault Marines over the course of a week or so:

The sergeant's PF can be switched out for a chainsword.

I'm not that happy with them, the paint's on its last legs and has some grains. Not only that, but I've gotten sloppy with my freehand. I'll probably redo some of the freehand, like the knee pads. I also need to weather them still. Here's the lot:

(the tank isn't finished.)

And here's the sergeant with some of the better painted figures:

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 30, 2011

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Looks like we are running out of time. Sort of a cross-post...

there is very little time to :goon: vote #18 for MasterSlowPoke's Arjak conversion!
Could it be that his is actually not the coolest? :( (I want to spend his $50 GW credit!)

It is looking like we will be in 4th place, which is one place away from the $10 prize. Oh well.

Content

I made a spiffy display board for my slaanehsy terminators. Want to put a few finishing touches before I show it off all un-painted.

more to come...

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Crossposting from the 40k thread for some feedback. It's WIP but I did the vials today and I'm pretty happy with them. I'm not too sure how to highlight the face mask though (I never was too great at highlighting black).

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

Got a bit more of my skorne army worked on over the past few weeks. Apologize for the lovely pics, my sister borrowed my good camera.

Except for exchanging the bronze for silver, this was pretty much the exact idea I had for a color scheme on my Skorne guys. Love how this looks.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Fuegan posted:

Crossposting from the 40k thread for some feedback. It's WIP but I did the vials today and I'm pretty happy with them. I'm not too sure how to highlight the face mask though (I never was too great at highlighting black).

That's pretty awesome. Great job on the blue.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Fuegan posted:

Just curious: are the specular highlights on the vials painted on, or are the just that shiny? If the former, holy crap they look good. Even if the latter, they look great.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Just curious: are the specular highlights on the vials painted on, or are the just that shiny? If the former, holy crap they look good. Even if the latter, they look great.

I did try painting them on but I was never all that happy with the results. I couldn't get the positioning quite right with so many vials. Annoyingly it could have done with some way of making them shiny to then see where the reflective points would be and then paint them on. In the end I settled for gloss varnish for three reasons. It meant that the specular highlight was always accurate, it was slightly easier to achieve and gloss varnish gives the vials a glass-like feel. Sure enough I'd have liked to go for painted-on specular highlights but it wasn't to be.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Hey, thanks everyone for the feedback about my burnout. It's not that I don't want to paint, but the amount I churned out in so little time and the subject I've been painting. I definitely reorganized my space fairly recently, but it could definitely improve. I am working on some IG, actually and have been doing commissions for a friend that doesn't really give a time table for when he wants the fig back. I actually need to get cracking on that one. The last fig he gave me was REALLY fun to paint and brought me back a bit. Another suggestion was to not really stick to a schedule for when to get things done. Ideally I'd like to get my Guard done by November for a tournament, but that is becoming less and less likely because I would have to rush them a bit.

I'm rambling so I will end by saying thank you everyone, again, for your help.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe

Eyespy posted:

Simple Green. you can pick up a 2L bottle from Bunnings. Just put the models in a container, submerge them in Simple Green overnight and then scrub them with an old toothbrush.

Oh wow I wasn't aware we could get that in Australia as well!! looks like I'll be taking a trip to Bunnings this week

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

I took a break from painting Warmachine (waiting on the next round of oaths) to paint up a Malifaux crew. I'm quite happy with how the ice came out.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

NecronSchmecron posted:

Hey, thanks everyone for the feedback about my burnout. It's not that I don't want to paint, but the amount I churned out in so little time and the subject I've been painting. I definitely reorganized my space fairly recently, but it could definitely improve. I am working on some IG, actually and have been doing commissions for a friend that doesn't really give a time table for when he wants the fig back. I actually need to get cracking on that one. The last fig he gave me was REALLY fun to paint and brought me back a bit. Another suggestion was to not really stick to a schedule for when to get things done. Ideally I'd like to get my Guard done by November for a tournament, but that is becoming less and less likely because I would have to rush them a bit.

I'm rambling so I will end by saying thank you everyone, again, for your help.

Another suggestion maybe - how about just picking up a figure from another company that is not for any reason but for how it looks? Sounds you like you want to paint for paintings' sake, and that might be the ticket. (has anyone said this yet? I have no idea :( )

And those Marines and the Malifaux stuff on this page looks sweet as. I got myself Rasputina, and I hope she turns out as nice. The bases are custom, or did you get them online?

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

Dr. Phildo posted:

I got myself Rasputina, and I hope she turns out as nice. The bases are custom, or did you get them online?

I got mine from Dragonforge. I wasn't totally happy with them because there's no defined transition between the based and the rounded edge like you;d see on a back-2-base-ix bases, and I had to eyeball it, but they came out okay.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Dr. Phildo posted:

Another suggestion maybe - how about just picking up a figure from another company that is not for any reason but for how it looks? Sounds you like you want to paint for paintings' sake, and that might be the ticket. (has anyone said this yet? I have no idea :( )

And those Marines and the Malifaux stuff on this page looks sweet as. I got myself Rasputina, and I hope she turns out as nice. The bases are custom, or did you get them online?

I believe it was suggested. I wasn't clear also, my buddy who I'm painting for, his figures are from Infinity. I have that Reaper "Jokero" (ape with guns on a flagpole) that I picked up for fun. Got that before I knew it was a thing in 40k. Malifaux minis seem interesting and I may pick up that Ice Giant thing in the above pictures because that is just boss.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

bang bang bang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Finished my Rangers, and decided to post some better shots here than in the oath thread. Thanks to whoever it was that advised doing their coats in grey, I think it worked out pretty well:

As always, taking pictures highlights all my failings and errors, but I am pretty happy with them on the tabletop, so that's that. I have another squad of these guys I will do at some point, maybe vary things up to differentiate them (but probably not).

• Locked thread