Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
I think GRRM was really hungry when he wrote this book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
GRRM hungry!!!!!!!!!!! bwahahahahahahahahaahahahahahha

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Ray_ posted:

Holy poo poo, the statues of the Seven look loving fantastic.

"Their beauty will make them more pleasing to R'hllor"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80LbdCR7-ps

Also concerning Manderley's cooking: I can't wait for one of the Lords who ate the pies and pork at Ramsay's wedding to say they will never accept Rikon as lord because he lived with cannibals in Skagos and ate human flesh. I can imagine Manderley's smile already.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Doibhilin posted:

I don't think he's a Targaryen loyalist. I think he honestly wants what is best for Westeros--a good king. And he's realized that Aegon is the perfect opportunity for a good king. He can be molded to rule, to understand his people--like Merlin and King Arthur. It's not about prolonging the Targaryen dynasty, it's about the opportunity Aegon presents.

That doesn't really make sense as if he was truly in it for the good of the kingdom he could easily have backed someone that would have been a good king. Like Renly, or Robb or something.

gently caress all the serious claimants to the throne, Mance Rayder was the king the world needed.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Doibhilin posted:

I don't think he's a Targaryen loyalist. I think he honestly wants what is best for Westeros--a good king. And he's realized that Aegon is the perfect opportunity for a good king. He can be molded to rule, to understand his people--like Merlin and King Arthur. It's not about prolonging the Targaryen dynasty, it's about the opportunity Aegon presents.

And I think Viserys and Dany were pawns all along. Varys and Illyrio were hoping that they would cross the sea and invade Westeros with Drogo. At some point in the middle of the fighting--oops--there's another Targaryen with a better claim to the throne! Suddenly V & D are fighting for Aegon, who didn't have to bloody himself in the earliest stages of the war. Nor did he have to soil his future reign with the promises it takes to raise an army.

How does aiding the invasion of 40 000 Mongol-esque barbarians who understand no currency but rape and pillage fit into this vision of a peaceful Westeros?

Dany's planned return always seemed a little irresponsible to me, too, since she is barren (though, to be fair, Varys could not know that), which plants the seeds for another civil war.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

Eggnogium posted:

Count me among those who don't believe Tyr is a Targ. I think the Joanna-Aerys reveal works fine as a partial explanation for the falling out between Tywin and Aerys, and I struggle to believe that if Tywin knew Tyrion wasn't his (which most people who buy the theory seem to think) he wouldn't have banished Tyrion the second Robert planted his fat rear end on the iron throne.

Well, playing devils advocate, that wouldn involve admitting to the whole having been given horns thing. I don't think Tywins pride was up for that sort of thing.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Neurosis posted:

How does aiding the invasion of 40 000 Mongol-esque barbarians who understand no currency but rape and pillage fit into this vision of a peaceful Westeros?

Dany's planned return always seemed a little irresponsible to me, too, since she is barren (though, to be fair, Varys could not know that), which plants the seeds for another civil war.

Doesn't the end of ADWD prove she isn't barren?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Not really. It proves there's blood coming out of her. Doesn't necessarily imply anything one way or the other.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Also, to her knowledge, she would have been forever barren after AGoT. However, her gigantic sense of entitlement carried her forward.

Edit: Actually, speaking of cuckolding, I've often wondered how Stannis sleeping with Melisandre matches up with his iron sense of morals (which, as a morally inflexible man of absolute judgment, I love :allears:).

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jul 29, 2011

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Eggnogium posted:

Count me among those who don't believe Tyr is a Targ. I think the Joanna-Aerys reveal works fine as a partial explanation for the falling out between Tywin and Aerys, and I struggle to believe that if Tywin knew Tyrion wasn't his (which most people who buy the theory seem to think) he wouldn't have banished Tyrion the second Robert planted his fat rear end on the iron throne.

By all accounts Tywin passionately loved Joanna. "Promise me, promise me Ned Tywin. Promise me you'll raise him as your own." If he even knew.

Eggnogium posted:

If all the X is a Targ theories are true, the last chapter of the series is gonna be a big ole Targaryen family reunion potluck at the water gardens. Dani's bringing lemon cakes!

Ya, this, but then there's a massacre and Tyrion winds up on the throne.

Rosscifer fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 29, 2011

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
One of the things that annoys me in this series is that the common people are just treated as an amorphous blob who just sit around waiting to be killed (or raped and killed if they're female), with no particular initiative or agency of their own. I like the Brotherhood without Banners, but with revenge-crazed Zombie Catelyn leading them who knows what direction GRRM will take.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
This has been mentioned a couple of times in the last couple of pages; the common people are far too poorly educated to take hold of the country's future. I would not trust a nation's future to people who can't read. They also have little power to enforce their majority rule. It takes a long time to transform into a real democracy. A lot of nations on our planet still struggle with it, and I doubt Westeros would be any better.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Seams posted:

One of the things that annoys me in this series is that the common people are just treated as an amorphous blob who just sit around waiting to be killed (or raped and killed if they're female), with no particular initiative or agency of their own. I like the Brotherhood without Banners, but with revenge-crazed Zombie Catelyn leading them who knows what direction GRRM will take.

That's however a pretty major point GRRM wants to make (and he does it quite well I think). The dialogue between Brienne and the Septon in AFFC is probably the best summary of the argument he tries to make. The whole resurgence of the armed faith/Sparrows is pretty much the only reaction that is left to the commoners. The church accepts them regardless of wealth and class, the church defends them no matter if they own property or are beggars, Tully, Stark or Lannister serfs and bannermen.

Decius fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 29, 2011

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Decius posted:

That's however a pretty major point GRRM wants to make (and he does it quite well I think). The dialogue between Brienne and the Septon in AFFC is probably the best summary of the argument he tries to make. The whole resurgence of the armed faith/Sparrows is pretty much the only reaction that is left to the commoners. The church accepts them regardless of wealth and class, the church defends them no matter if they own property or are beggars, Tully, Stark or Lannister serfs and bannermen.

I really should re-read AFFC, it's been years and I don't remember that conversation at all. :(

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Seams posted:

I really should re-read AFFC, it's been years and I don't remember that conversation at all. :(

For your convenience:

(the discussion is about brigands and outlaws and how dangerous they are)

quote:

"Broken men are more deserving of our pity, though they may be just as dangerous. Almost all are common-born, simple folk who had never been more than a mile from the house where they were born until the day some lord came round to take them off to war. Poorly shod and poorly clad, they march away beneath his banners, ofttimes with no better arms than a sickle or a sharpened hoe, or a maul they made themselves by lashing a stone to a stick with strips of hide. Brothers march with brothers, sons with fathers, friends with friends. They've heard the songs and stories, so they go off with eager hearts, dreaming of the wonders they will see, of the wealth and glory they will win. War seems a fine adventure, the greatest most of them will ever know.
"Then the get a taste of battle.
"For some, that one taste is enough to break them. Others go on for years, until they lose count of all the battles they have fought in, but even a man who has survived a hundred fights can break in his hundred-and-first. Brothers watch their brothers die, fathers lose their sons, friends see their friends trying to hold their entrails in after they've been gutted by an axe.
"They see the lord who led them there cut down, and some other lord shouts that they are his now. They take a wound, and when that's still half-healed they take another. There is never enough to eat, their shoes fall to pieces from the marching, their clothes are torn and rotting, and half of them are making GBS threads in their breeches from drinking bad water.
"If they want new boots or a warmer cloak or maybe a rusted iron halfhelm, they need to take them from a corpse, and before long they are stealing from the living too, from the smallfolk whose lands they're fighting in, men very like the men they used to be. They slaughter their sheep and steal their chickens, and from there it's just a short step to carrying off their daughters too. And one day they look around and realize all their friends and kin are gone, that they are fighting beside strangers beneath a banner thatt they hardly recognize. They don't know where they are or how to get back home and the lord they're fighting for does not know their names, yet here he comes, shouting for them to form up, to make a line with their spears and scythes and sharpened hoes, to stand their ground. And the knights come down on them, faceless men clad all in steel, and the iron thunder of their charge seems to fill the world...
"And the man breaks.
"He turns and runs, or crawls off afterward over the corpses of the slain or steals away in the black of night, and he finds someplace to hide. All thought of home is gone by then, and kings and lords and gods mean less to him than a haunch of spoiled meat that will let him live another day, or a skin of bad wine that might drown his fear for a few hours. The broken man lives from day to day, from meal to meal, more beast than man. Lady Brienne is not wrong. In times like these, the traveler must beware of broken men, and fear them...but he should pity them as well."

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

Doibhilin posted:

And I think Viserys and Dany were pawns all along.

Dude outright says Aegon has been molded to rule from day one. Meaning he, Varys, has overseen Aegon's education from the start. Dany and Vis were intentionally set up as targets for Westeros to keep everyone from looking deeper and discovering Aegon still lived. They weren't educated and taught to rule, they were ignorant and selfish as gently caress.

Iggles posted:

This just doesn't ring true. Why then kill Kevan who was, by Varys's own admission, going to fix the Seven Kingdoms and ensure Tommen becomes a good king?

Because the Lannisters are all completely unfit to rule in some way? Again, Varys outright says Aegon was trained from the start to be a king, taught it was a responsibility and not a right he was born into (like Tommen).

This series is about how a horrible threat presents humanity with possible eradication and everyone's too caught up in their bullshit machinations to face it.

Teh z0rceror
Dec 14, 2004

Maytag posted:

Dude outright says Aegon has been molded to rule from day one. Meaning he, Varys, has overseen Aegon's education from the start. Dany and Vis were intentionally set up as targets for Westeros to keep everyone from looking deeper and discovering Aegon still lived. They weren't educated and taught to rule, they were ignorant and selfish as gently caress.

but isnt dany kinda learning how to rule right now? on the job training. I guess she just got lucky with the dragon eggs and her figuring out she is fireproof.

also it seems to me like anytime Dany is trouble that drogon can sense that and comes to her aid?

SharpyShuffle
Aug 20, 2007

Ray_ posted:

You know, people say this all the time, but Tyrion isn't much like Tywin at all. He's always joking and sarcastic, he's got a pretty big heart, and actually seems to have a working moral compass. Tywin is none of those things, and I'd say those are Tyrion's most important features. They're both really smart guys with a gift for navigating and manipulating politics, but that's pretty much it as far as similarities.

To tell the truth, Cersei's personality MUCH more closer aligns with Tywin's except for the Crazy and how emotional she gets and how bad of a ruler she is.

I thought the basic idea is that Tyrion would've been pretty mucgh just like his father if he hadn't been born a dwarf, but his deformaity is what makes Tywin reject him (obviously) and leads to Tyrion being a different and better person than his father. he clearly has the mind to succeed Tywin, and no doubt if he was a full-man Tywin would've marked him as his 'truest' son, but instead Tyrion is forced to hide behind humor and experience the world from a perspective that gives him (some) empathy with the weak and downtrodden.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Decius posted:

For your convenience:

(the discussion is about brigands and outlaws and how dangerous they are)

Thanks. That's a pretty good passage, I wish there had been more stuff of that quality in ADWD.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Iggles posted:

This just doesn't ring true. Why then kill Kevan who was, by Varys's own admission, going to fix the Seven Kingdoms and ensure Tommen becomes a good king?

This. I don't think that Varys cares for anything beyond whatever his sense of justice for the Targaryens are.

I also don't think he really intended for Viserys to succeed outside of Essos, given the Dothraki fear of water.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005
Welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising?

Maytag posted:

This series is about how a horrible threat presents humanity with possible eradication and everyone's too caught up in their bullshit machinations to face it.

I'm convinced Varys knows of the threat and believes that only a Targ on the Iron Throne can defeat the others, just like STAR WARS :colbert:

VVVVV
E: having never read the bad threads, what's your theory?

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop
Varys' motives run deeper than who's gonna hold the Iron Throne, and deeper than even Ilyrio knows. I said that earlier in the thread and I'm sticking by it.

Quotin' the hell out of this post 6 years from now.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

500 pages in and the slow pace of the story is starting to drive me nuts.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
So is this book worth reading or what

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Levitate posted:

It is one of the weaker books of the series but it is still better than 99% of all fantasy books. Of course that is like saying it is one of the duller golden shits in a certain pile of golden shits but it is still more golden than 99% of all shits in the world.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Decius posted:

Yeah, one of the main running themes of the series is how much it flat-out sucks to be a peasant or tradesman in a medieval (or semi-medieval) world. GRRM is pretty good about showing, not telling, it. It's up there with his other theme, which is how much it sucks to be a woman in a medieval (or semi-medieval) world, how little agency or autonomy or security you have, even if you're a ruling queen.

See also: how much of the world runs on slaves and slavery and the slave trade.

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

Levitate posted:

It's worth it if you really like the setting and don't mind a slower paced reading, like AFFC it's a book that's setting up a lot of the crazy poo poo that will happen in the next books, introducing a few more characters and giving some more established ones a bigger piece of the lamprey pie.

Rhymenoceros
Nov 16, 2008
Monks, a statement endowed with five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people. Which five?

It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will.
I'm sorry but I this has been on my mind for two days and I have no one to say it to.

Barristan the Bold more like Barristan the bOLD...

Yep.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rhymenoceros posted:

I'm sorry but I this has been on my mind for two days and I have no one to say it to.

Yep.

Dany..more like FANY! Hah!

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Rhymenoceros posted:

Yep.

Barristan is old, what do you expect, he first jousted at the age of ten, killed maelys the monstrous at 17, served with the greatest knights of the realm in the kingsguard during robert's rebellion, lead the kingsguard, travelled half the world to serve his true queen and now serves as the queen's hand in a city ravaged by war, slavery, plague and treason.
I think he's entitled to be old.
He's still one hell of a knight and a person, and he can stick to his ideals without getting himself killed, so he's doing better than Ned Stark at least :v:

Royality
Jun 27, 2006
Barristan was my favourite character in the book, and I especially liked him dicking it to the pit fighter guard (whose name I forget) like the inexperienced-against-armour poo poo he was.

GO BARRISTAN.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

Royality posted:

Barristan was my favourite character in the book, and I especially liked him dicking it to the pit fighter guard (whose name I forget) like the inexperienced-against-armour poo poo he was.

GO BARRISTAN.

GAH IT'S NOT FAIR THAT YOU'RE WEARING ARMOR! TAKE IT OFF SO I CAN KILL YOU!

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

furushotakeru posted:

GAH IT'S NOT FAIR THAT YOU'RE WEARING ARMOR! TAKE IT OFF SO I CAN KILL YOU!

He called Barristan a coward and Barristan replied that this coward was about to kill him :black101:

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Neurosis posted:

Edit: Actually, speaking of cuckolding, I've often wondered how Stannis sleeping with Melisandre matches up with his iron sense of morals (which, as a morally inflexible man of absolute judgment, I love :allears:).

Like Newt Gingrich, he loves his country SOOO much, that he cheats on his wife.

Is Stannis really died in the snow like a bitch I'm going to be very disappointed. Not because he died, but because the whole adventure seems to out of character. He's presented as one of the best commanders in land, and he's going to rush through terrible weather at the end of the season to assault a castle he has no hope of taking against an army that could likely defeat him in the field (even if they didn't have the castle!)? Also, he leaves the sorceress who is the source of all of his recent victories behind? If it was Rob or Jon being this reckless, I guess I could understand but, if ever there was someone we should be able to expect rational behavior from it is Stannis.

I love the new and improved Victarion and also, he has the best sorcerer. R'hllor's other people are all wishy washy, but this guy gets straight to the point! If these guys get some dragons, that would be some fireworks!

A question about the Grayjoy story though; I thought they were setting Euron up to be a player, but it seems like in 'Dance' that he's about to get put down. Is there some part of his plan that I'm missing?
1) declare war on everyone
2) send my brother for dragons
3) hope he gets back before I'm dead (and doesn't use the dragons on me)

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Keep in mind that there's the "dusky woman" he gave Victarion as a gift. She attacks Moqorro, and probably for good reason- without Moqorro it's likely that Victarion would have blown the horn, died, and the dragons would then have been under Euron's power if Moqorro's guess about how it works is correct. Now, well, he still has an agent on the scene and a couple of warlocks for damage control. Of course, it's quite possible that Moqorro's guess is wrong, and you have to be able to live through blowing the horn to use it.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Effectronica posted:

Of course, it's quite possible that Moqorro's guess is wrong, and you have to be able to live through blowing the horn to use it.

I think it is interesting that so far Moqorro has actually been right about everything. He seems a lot more confident than the other red priests. I suspect he's still going to screw Victarion over, but I think it will be a lie of omission rather than 'misreading the flames' or whatever.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Acinonyx posted:

I think it is interesting that so far Moqorro has actually been right about everything. He seems a lot more confident than the other red priests.
So did Melisandre until we saw her POV :v:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Acinonyx posted:

I think it is interesting that so far Moqorro has actually been right about everything. He seems a lot more confident than the other red priests. I suspect he's still going to screw Victarion over, but I think it will be a lie of omission rather than 'misreading the flames' or whatever.

The only thing that Melisandre seems to have actually lied about is the leech-burning sequence, or for that matter "king's blood" in general. It's easy, with what we've got from her POV, to figure that she saw the Red Wedding, Joffrey choking, or Balon Greyjoy getting killed by a Faceless Man in the flames, but unlikely that she really believed that she brought those things about with Stannis' blood in a leech.

Everything else is understandable as a consequence of her unwavering belief in Stannis and essentially human nature, rather than a direct lie.

I think that Moqorro is planning to betray Vic as soon as he gets direct contact with Dany, which means that he'll be in for a surprise when the Iron Fleet breaks the blockade around Meereen. I wonder whether Jorah, Tyrion, or Moqorro is the danger that Quaithe told Dany was coming from the "perfumed seneschal".

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Contra Calculus posted:

It is one of the weaker books of the series but it is still better than 99% of all fantasy books. Of course that is like saying it is one of the duller golden shits in a certain pile of golden shits but it is still more golden than 99% of all shits in the world.

Are you making GBS threads me it took him 6 years to write another AFfC what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is better than AFfC.