Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

El Jackalope posted:

As long as it actually works under Lion's VM, that's what matters to me.
I think it should, but search around to see how it's working for others before diving in yourself. I forget where I saw it but at least one thing to do is to disable sleep in the virtualized OS X cause apparently that can crash it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Does anyone know if its possible for safari in full screen to remember how you left your window? On my 13 MBP i like it full screen but on the iMac safari on full screen is just too big and i generally resize it to half. It would be cool if it remembered the size i left it in...

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Oneiros posted:

Everything I've read so far suggests that it is impossible to non-destructively resize a core storage volume (encrypted ala File Vault 2) either through Disk Utility.app or the diskutil command. Is this correct or does anyone have knowledge to the contrary?

I don't know the limitations of Disk Utility and diskutil, but the general answer is a little complicated. In order to understand what is and isn't possible, you need to know a little bit about what the CoreStorage world looks like.

First, some definitions:

"Physical device" - The actual, physical drive. Either the SSD or the dinosaur with platters and magnets. A piece of hardware.

"Whole disk node" - Something whose disk identifier is in the form of "diskX" (e.g., "disk0"), as seen in `diskutil list`.

"Device node" - Something whose disk identifier is in the form of "diskXsY" (e.g., "disk0s1"), as seen in `diskutil list`.

"Partition" - A device node that may contain a file system.

"Physical volume" (PV) - In CoreStorage, device node that provides the storage for a CoreStorage logical volume. When using FileVault 2 disk encryption, this is where the encrypted blocks for the logical volume live.

"Logical volume" (LV) - In CoreStorage, a device node that contains the HFS+ file system you actually see in Finder, etc.

I will omit discussing the logical volume group (LVG) and logical volume family (LVF) constructs, because they're not important here.

Second, a tour of the world:

code:
$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk0
This is a whole disk node.

code:
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Cubs                    28.9 GB    disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
   4:                  Apple_HFS Dodgers                 28.7 GB    disk0s4
   5:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s5
   6:                  Apple_HFS Giants                  28.7 GB    disk0s6
   7:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s7
These are various partitions that correspond to device nodes.

code:
   8:          Apple_CoreStorage                         98.7 GB    disk0s8
This device node is a CoreStorage PV.

code:
   9:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s9
  10:                  Apple_HFS Angels                  98.7 GB    disk0s10
  11:                  Apple_HFS Mets                    709.8 GB   disk0s11
More normal partitions.

code:
/dev/disk1
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:                  Apple_HFS Mariners               *98.4 GB    disk1
This is a CoreStorage LV. The HFS+ partition on it can be seen in Finder. It's actually a whole disk node that contains a file system. The actual storage for this volume is disk0s8.

Third, resizing implications:

If you want to make the LV named "Mariners" smaller, you need less PV space for the LV's storage. That's not a problem; the PV can be resized to be smaller. If you want to make the LV larger, you need to be able to grow the PV in order to provide more backing storage for the LV. (Technically, you just need to add more PV space.) In the example above, you can see that there's a partition after the PV. Additionally, there is no space between disk0s8 and disk0s9 (which isn't apparent in the example, but the math works out). This means because you can't grow the PV (or add more PVs to the LVG), you can't make the associated LV larger.

So like I said, I don't know what functionality Disk Utility and diskutil support, but that's the basic overview of what the new world looks like.

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 11, 2011

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!
If any of that was unclear, holla.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Is it possible to put tabs on top in the new safari?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

A friend of mine just did a fresh install of Lion on his MacBook Air, and I was disappointed to see there was no intro video. :( I always liked that about Snow Leopard, and the first time it happened was a nice surprise, I hadn't seen an OS do that since Windows 98 (it played a pixellated, fullscreen music video of Phil Collins' "Dance Into The Light" :laugh:)

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
Anybody seen a guide to AD integration with Lion? Turns out my problem with network printing is the tip of the iceberg. I've managed to get bound to our AD server, but after I've logged in for 10 minutes or so, the binding seems to drop, and my password doesn't work in anything (sudo, System Preferences, installer, etc.). I don't think that's the problem with the printer, but I'd rather be able to log in and use the system reliably.

Before I figured out that's what was going on, I had an amusingly bad conversation with Apple tech support about sudo not working - I knew it was going to be bad when the tech asked me, "What's sudo?"

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

my stepdads beer posted:

Is it possible to put tabs on top in the new safari?
Probably not. I still miss it.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Rabid Koala posted:

I just had a "holy poo poo" moment with Sparrow. I've been running it in "Menubar Only" mode because I'm weird like that. This hides pretty much every neat feature in the updated version of Sparrow - including full-screen. Goddamn it. Now I have four apps in full-screen. Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone who is weird about Sparrow like me.
Wow, full-screen mode in Sparrow is awesome. It's basically Mail.app except it actually works well with Gmail.

Edit: inserting "well" to clarify my position.

10-8 fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 29, 2011

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

10-8 posted:

It's basically Mail.app except it actually works with Gmail.
Why do people keep saying this? Mail.app works perfectly for with Gmail. Or maybe I'm missing something?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

dexter6 posted:

Why do people keep saying this? Mail.app works perfectly for with Gmail. Or maybe I'm missing something?

You aren't. It works fine.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

dexter6 posted:

It works but it doesn't work perfectly. Try writing an e-mail in Mail.app over the course of a few minutes. Send the e-mail. Then go into the Gmail web interface and open that sent email. You'll see a note at the bottom that there are X number of deleted messages in the conversation. If you restore those messages, you'll see that they are drafts of your e-mail at various stages. That's because Mail.app's handling of drafts for Gmail accounts is completely broken. Yeah, you can turn off the feature to save drafts on the server, but then you're not getting a full feature set.

Mail.app also doesn't insert sent messages into the conversation view, as far as I know. Sparrow does. So when you look at a conversation in Mail.app, you only see incoming messages. When you do the same in Sparrow (and the Gmail web interface) you see incoming and outgoing messages.

I'm not saying Mail.app is unusable, but it has some problems with Gmail. To be fair, most of the problems are because of Google's weird-rear end way of doing IMAP with Gmail, but whoever's at fault, there are still problems.

Prate
Jun 23, 2005

Is Safari's customize toolbar not working for anyone else running 5.1 in snow leopard?
I can remove items, like the address and search bar which I can't get back, but I can't add anything cause the toolbar window never pops up. This has been an awful update overall. It's constantly crashing. Quitting results in it frequently not responding and I have to force quit. After awhile Safari Web Content always seem to be using 500 MB or more. I stopped using extensions like Ghostery, Adblock and ClicktoFlash but that doesn't seem to have improved anything or been the problem.

Gaff Tape
Dec 31, 2005
Black sticky absorbant bliss.

10-8 posted:

Mail.app also doesn't insert sent messages into the conversation view, as far as I know. Sparrow does. So when you look at a conversation in Mail.app, you only see incoming messages. When you do the same in Sparrow (and the Gmail web interface) you see incoming and outgoing messages.

Can't speak to the Gmail web interface stuff, but I have sent and received messages in my conversations:

Fake Edit: or did you mean in the center pane? If so, yeah it's missing. Though with the amount of threaded conversations I have, seeing my own responses in anything but the detailed view might be kind of cumbersome. Different strokes I guess.

Devoid of Content
Oct 26, 2007

CoasterMaster posted:

Has anyone tried that Maximizer hack with Parallels?

Parallels doesn't show the full screen icon. You can run it full screen in it's own Space though. FileZilla and TextWrangler also don't show the icon, I'm sure there are others.

Vivix
Oct 1, 2006
Henshin a go-go, baby!
So, the two finger back/forward scrolling was supposed to be fixed in Chrome Dev, but it's still not working for me. Am I missing a setting somewhere or something?

Vivix fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 29, 2011

gregday
May 23, 2003

Showing Sent messages in Conversation View in Mail is definitely an option in the Preferences.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
Found another UI change I hadn't read about elsewhere. When you hide an app in Snow Leopard and all previous versions of Mac OS X that I've used, it affects its order in cmd-tab (I'm not sure if it's appropriate to call this "Z-order" or not, since the app is hidden so it's really not technically anywhere in the Z-order, but I'm going to do it anyway because I'm not sure what else to call it).

So, in Snow Leopard, if Safari was the topmost app, you could cmd-tab and see this:

And then if you were to hide it, it would change its location in cmd-tab to be to the left of ("in front of") any previously-hidden applications, but to the right of ("behind") all other running applications. What this means is, if you hide an app, and then cmd-tab, you are not taken to the app you just hid, but rather one that was behind it in the Z-order.

In this mockup screenshot, I have just hidden Safari. I had previously hidden NValt, 1Password, Emacs, and Activity Monitor, but Finder, Terminal, Acorn, and Preview had not been hidden, so Safari went between those two groups. If I cmd-tab from Finder right after hiding Safari, I don't get Safari but rather Terminal.

In Lion, though, I don't think hiding affects its Z-order at all -- another application gets the focus and that bumps the hidden application down just one slot in the Z-order. In other words, it just puts it right behind the next app, so if you cmd-tab a second time the app becomes unhidden. In this screenshot, I have just hidden Safari and Terminal is on top, but if I cmd-tab from Terminal, Safari unhides and becomes the forefront application.

I hide apps all the time and this is going to take some getting used to. Actually, it's one of my common frustrations with Windows - lots of times I minimize a window I am finished with but don't want to close, but that doesn't move it back enough in the Z-order and when I alt-tab expecting a different window, I get the minimized one instead.

edit: timg
edit2: agh I forgot timg doesn't work in Safari right now

equation groupie fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 29, 2011

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Xandu posted:

Did you disable indicator lights? That's probably why they're closing when there's no active windows.

No, I've got indicator lights on. It's just textedit and preview, and sometimes textedit will stay open, but not always.

Nothing else seems to do this.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Anyone have any idea why Lion will immediately remount a USB flash drive when I "Eject" it?

It's the drive itself, because I have like five different USB flash drives and it only does it with one of them. It might just be its specific implementation. It's pretty old (32MB), so it's probably some bizarre first-gen behavior.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just throw out the 32MB drive.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Barack Pwnbama posted:

No, I've got indicator lights on. It's just textedit and preview, and sometimes textedit will stay open, but not always.

Nothing else seems to do this.
This is intended behavior with apps that support it (surprise, both Preview and TextEdit do): http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars/8#process-model

Basically: if your system is looking for RAM, an App can tell the system that it's available for shutdown because it's done doing what it needs to, and it's otherwise idle.

There are two different variations of this, both outlined in the article. It's a pretty neat feature, but like the rest of Lion, quite a shocking change of pace for the above average user.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy poo poo, this completely explains why I have QuickTime processes that continually show up in ActMon but there's no QuickTime visibly running.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

unruly posted:

This is intended behavior with apps that support it (surprise, both Preview and TextEdit do): http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars/8#process-model

Basically: if your system is looking for RAM, an App can tell the system that it's available for shutdown because it's done doing what it needs to, and it's otherwise idle.

There are two different variations of this, both outlined in the article. It's a pretty neat feature, but like the rest of Lion, quite a shocking change of pace for the above average user.

It just annoys me a bit how they always shut down every time. If it really was because the system needed RAM I'd get it, but I've got 8 gigs with 3.5 gigs free right now and it does it anyway.

I guess I'll just have to live with it.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Martytoof posted:

Holy poo poo, this completely explains why I have QuickTime processes that continually show up in ActMon but there's no QuickTime visibly running.
Yeah, it's no joke that the Ars review on Lion is probably the best companion piece to learning how the system works now. It's like a free Lion Bible or something.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Barack Pwnbama posted:

It just annoys me a bit how they always shut down every time. If it really was because the system needed RAM I'd get it, but I've got 8 gigs with 3.5 gigs free right now and it does it anyway.

I guess I'll just have to live with it.
I could also be wrong :)

Check Console.app and see if there are any errors being spit out there regarding TextEdit or Preview. Thats usually where I check first when apps blink out.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Didn't clicking icons previously switch to that application's Space? Doesn't seem to be the same in Lion.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
It is, but it's not the default behavior for some reason. Go to the Mission Control preferences and check "When switching to an application, switch a space with open windows for the application."

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Hey thanks. Now as long as I'm the first person to find out how to disable the Change Desktops animation, I'll be set.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

Hey thanks. Now as long as I'm the first person to find out how to disable the Change Desktops animation, I'll be set.
Sorry, you're a couple days too late.

For the lazy:
code:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAutomaticWindowAnimationsEnabled -bool NO

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Is that all animations? I was under the impression it was just the "new window open" animation. I'm talking about when you switch spaces and everything slides over.

(I've already run all those fixes but haven't restarted to check yet)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

So I found this and I made it my Win7 Desktop background because I'm :derp: like that.

Thought others might enjoy it. :shobon:

http://wyseworld.wordpress.com/2011/06/07/get-the-lion-desktop-picture-shown-at-wwdc-keynote/

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

(if you have Lion already, it's at /System/Library/CoreServices/DefaultDesktop.jpg)

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

Is that all animations? I was under the impression it was just the "new window open" animation. I'm talking about when you switch spaces and everything slides over.

(I've already run all those fixes but haven't restarted to check yet)
Oh, I have no idea. I don't know if those particular animations can be turned off.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, once I can turn off that one (and I'd love to not having dragging multiple files look so ugly) I'll be a little happier.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Is anyone else's MBA sucking up battery and running hot with lion?

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Yes, I have a Spring 2008 MBP, and it is super hot now.

E: grr I can't read.

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

Yeah, once I can turn off that one (and I'd love to not having dragging multiple files look so ugly) I'll be a little happier.
Yeah, I find the desktop switching a bit slow or something. I think I would want some indication that I'm in a new desktop/space - maybe a slide as if the window went a millimeter too far and the sprung back. Not sure if I'd really like that either though.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So... I use to have this feature in Snow Leopard, is it gone?

I could hold Control and scroll the mouse wheel to zoom into the screen. Now that function is gone, but I've noticed "Smart Zoom" where I can double tape withe one finger and it will zoom into the screen. This is fine with the Magic Mouse, but I can't do that with a Mighty Mouse, or any other mouse for that matter. WTF... the feature is so incredibly helpful when showing somebody a screen from across the room, and you can't use "double tap to zoom" on things like Finder or the Control Panel for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

Astro7x posted:

So... I use to have this feature in Snow Leopard, is it gone?

I could hold Control and scroll the mouse wheel to zoom into the screen. Now that function is gone, but I've noticed "Smart Zoom" where I can double tape withe one finger and it will zoom into the screen. This is fine with the Magic Mouse, but I can't do that with a Mighty Mouse, or any other mouse for that matter. WTF... the feature is so incredibly helpful when showing somebody a screen from across the room, and you can't use "double tap to zoom" on things like Finder or the Control Panel for example.

They moved to the iOS "pinch to zoom" thing. It's a bit more intuitive than holding Ctrl, in my opinion, but you might not like it.