Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ParagonParadox27 posted:

Ehh, no. No, it doesn't.

OK then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monode
Feb 19, 2011

oo
This episode was alright, but as a Brit I'm so bored of cartoons always showing British people with cockney accents even in modern times. Yeah, it's funny the first few times, but after this many years it's pretty old.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Chamberk posted:

I saw Inara Serra and Sharon Agathon in the background of the hall of presidents.

Amelia Pond was a head in a jar too.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Monode posted:

This episode was alright, but as a Brit I'm so bored of cartoons always showing British people with cockney accents even in modern times. Yeah, it's funny the first few times, but after this many years it's pretty old.

Yeah it gets to me a bit too. It's either cockney or nobility, which I suppose are the most relatable and funny to other people, but that and the bad teeth stereotype have seriously been run into the ground. Although seeing The Doctor rush into the phone booth made me laugh.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Monode posted:

Yeah, I was disappointed that Futurama didn't really come up with better British jokes and I'm American. On the whole, I think I slightly prefer last week's to this week's, though I heartily welcomed the return of Gerald Ford.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Kerck Pnameless posted:

Yeah, I was disappointed that Futurama didn't really come up with better British jokes and I'm American. On the whole, I think I slightly prefer last week's to this week's, though I heartily welcomed the return of Gerald Ford.

He likes movies. :geno:

Any episode with the Presidents is good with me, even if it did come with bad jokes about Brits.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Alter Ego posted:

He likes movies. :geno:

Any episode with the Presidents is good with me, even if it did come with bad jokes about Brits.

He does get that way around meaty women.

wren
Feb 9, 2007

requiescat in pace et in amore
It was nice to have a well-rounded episode. I do sort of wish they'd stop creating absolutes that they'll need to break later--like with the opal. I guess they haven't made much out of the dark matter issue though.

I was disappointed at the teeth joke, after the Gilliam-style animation section and other more apt references it was a let down. They're still trying to get every character in every episode but this one had a lower headcount (outside of the Presidents).

This should be a good re-watchable one (much more so than Yo Leela Leela).

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Thanks for the .gif base :tipshat:

I know this is from forever ago but my technologically inept self would love it if someone re-sized this to be an avatar. Much appreciated to whomever gives it a go.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
And another Hermes pot joke. I didn't notice it until this thread (ruined it for me) that they're really pushing that harder than ever before.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Bloodnose posted:

And another Hermes pot joke. I didn't notice it until this thread (ruined it for me) that they're really pushing that harder than ever before.

I think there seriously has been a pot joke in every episode this half a season. It's getting kind of annoying. Especially because the joke tends to be "Hermes smokes pot" and nothing more.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They know they are playing for the same audience that watches poo poo like Workaholics and Adult Swim.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

axleblaze posted:

I think there seriously has been a pot joke in every episode this half a season. It's getting kind of annoying. Especially because the joke tends to be "Hermes smokes pot" and nothing more.

It's worse because it's the kind of lazy joke they really went out of their way not to make initially. "Now I got to go home and relax the traditional Jamaican way: A glass of warm milk and good night's sleep"

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
"Why, I used to smoke about four feet of rope a day" is a perfectly serviceable joke.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Monode posted:

Yeah I'm the same, it was really good up until it turned into a stream of the usual tired old Brit gags.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.
All the callbacks in this episode were awesome. Even added a Simpsons callback for good measure.

I quite enjoyed that.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Coleman posted:

All the callbacks in this episode were awesome. Even added a Simpsons callback for good measure.

I quite enjoyed that.

I'm about to rewatch but do you mind pointing this one out for the dumbasses in the crowd?

My guess is that you meant Gerry Ford talking like Homer. I do so love that episode of the Simpsons.

"Well why don't you come over to my house and watch the game and we'll eat nachos"

Also like to point out that as a stoner who has watched Futurama :420: more times than I can count, I'm really enjoying the 1-dimensional approach to Hermes's humour. It would be nice to centre another episode around him or at least have his old personality of boring accountant from Jamaica rather than simply, stereotype from Jamaica. But weed jokes make me sit up straighter simply from the reference alone so they're accomplishing what they set out to do. Also, the show's on later than it used to be and it's on comedy central now, they know their prime demographic will be smokers of the marj. I can see how that'd annoy non-stoners or even the picker viewers but it gets a laugh outta me every time, and yes, this episode's was more thought out than "I'm on a mostly natural high!"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dheni Walsh posted:

Also, the show's on later than it used to be and it's on comedy central now, they know their prime demographic will be smokers of the marj. I can see how that'd annoy non-stoners or even the picker viewers but it gets a laugh outta me every time, and yes, this episode's was more thought out than "I'm on a mostly natural high!"

You have bad taste and you should feel bad.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Dheni Walsh posted:

I'm about to rewatch but do you mind pointing this one out for the dumbasses in the crowd?

My guess is that you meant Gerry Ford talking like Homer. I do so love that episode of the Simpsons.
Nope. Bender saying, "More like Taxachusetts."

When the Simpsons go to Japan (Thirty Minutes over Tokyo), they go to an American restaurant where every table is a US state. And Homer says something along the lines of, "I can't believe they put us at Taxachusetts!"

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Coleman posted:

Taxachusetts

Pretty sure that joke pre-dates even the Simpsons. I heard it on Letterman in the 80's.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

LooseChanj posted:

Pretty sure that joke pre-dates even the Simpsons. I heard it on Letterman in the 80's.
Well as a Massachusetts resident, I don't remember hearing it before that Simpsons episode, but that very well may be true. It wouldn't be below Homer to steal a joke from something he saw.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

LooseChanj posted:

Yeah that's not a Simpsons joke except in that it appears on the Simpsons.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
They also did it earlier this same season with the robosexual thing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I got a big laugh out of Stereotypical British/Jamaican TV black dude Hermes. I can't put my finger on why.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm 40% scrapmetal!

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.
I thought the new episode didn't air last night! I turned on my TV to Comedy Central and everything and it was the "None Like it Hot" episode.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
I liked the rope joke, it was a funny joke on the 'you can do so much with hemp also you can smoke the poo poo out of it' concept. There have been tons of jokes in the entire series that Hermes smokes pot, I have no idea why so many people are sperging out that it's happening now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This ep. completely made up for last weeks stinker.

Proposed thread title: "Dont fhit your pants"

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Kashew posted:

I thought the new episode didn't air last night! I turned on my TV to Comedy Central and everything and it was the "None Like it Hot" episode.

The episode is called Crimes of the Hot. :ssh:

Also the new one aired at 9 instead of 10 for some reason.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

shotgunbadger posted:

I liked the rope joke, it was a funny joke on the 'you can do so much with hemp also you can smoke the poo poo out of it' concept. There have been tons of jokes in the entire series that Hermes smokes pot, I have no idea why so many people are sperging out that it's happening now.

Man, in old Futurama, they would never have done such obvious :420: jokes. I bet you never even noticed the subtle background jokes of children smoking blunts, characters waving around bongs, Lrr tripping on psychedelics, or Universe 420.

Granted, they are definitely more common this season than in the old days, but it's also a later time-slot on a channel with less restrictions. And I'll take endless weed jokes over lolcats and children's show parodies.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Preem Palver posted:

Man, in old Futurama, they would never have done such obvious :420: jokes. I bet you never even noticed the subtle background jokes of children smoking blunts, characters waving around bongs, Lrr tripping on psychedelics, or Universe 420.

Right-on Professor Freaksworth!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

shotgunbadger posted:

That's the thing though, there really weren't that many Hermes smokes weed jokes" before the new season. In fact I can't remember any but I'm open to the fact that I might be forgetting some. On the other hand almost every episode in this half season has had one and none of them have really been that funny.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

Yeah the constant "Hermes is a relentless pot fiend" jokes are getting annoying. and zero limbo references now. Coincidence? All i know is my gut says maybe.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hermes can get high, or he can get low. But not both at the same time.

Kannen
Apr 24, 2007

make this page more CAW CAW!!

The Heckler posted:

Yeah the constant "Hermes is a relentless pot fiend" jokes are getting annoying. and zero limbo references now. Coincidence? All i know is my gut says maybe.

tell my wife I said 'hello.'

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.
I find most of the "Hermes smokes weed" jokes to be funny, so I guess I'm in the minority there. :v:

To be fair, I didn't really like this episodes' week joke. Thought it was a bit too obvious and drawn out. The only clever part of it, I thought was when he went off on all the non weed related things, and Hermes got disappointed and bored. Personally I would've found it funnier if the joke had ended there instead of the "used to smoke a lot of rope" line.

Also, the segment where the future was British was a bit of wasted potential too, I thought. It was a lot of obvious and overdone jokes. Also, I personally would've thought it funnier if the crew panicked at first, but then started to like the future being ruled by Britain more, and then something over the top made them change their minds.

Yeah, they basically did that, but only for the professor. And then only because he was rich in that timeline, not anything inherent to being British.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Leovinus posted:

Hermes can get high, or he can get low. But not both at the same time.

:golfclap:

I would like to see them scale back the HERMES WEED LOL jokes. As with Scruffy, a little goes a long way.

Monode
Feb 19, 2011

oo
One thing this show needs more of is Neutrals.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

axleblaze posted:

That's the thing though, there really weren't that many Hermes smokes weed jokes" before the new season. In fact I can't remember any but I'm open to the fact that I might be forgetting some. On the other hand almost every episode in this half season has had one and none of them have really been that funny.

What about "I've smoked a lot of paper in my day" from Lethal Inspection? I liked that one. :shobon:

I do agree that they're doing the weed jokes a bit too often. And using Scruffy a little too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Monode posted:

One thing this show needs more of is Neutrals.
I don't really have an opinion on the subject.

• Locked thread