Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I can still use ctrl to zoom in. I've got a trackpad, though.

edit: I had to disable pinch to zoom. It works great on my ipad, but on the computer I end up accidently doing it when I don't want to and I'm unable to consistently do it when I do want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Astro7x posted:

So... I use to have this feature in Snow Leopard, is it gone?

I could hold Control and scroll the mouse wheel to zoom into the screen.

It's still there. It lives in Universal Access preferences, and for it to work, Zoom needs to be enabled and a setting in the Zoom section's options needs to be turned on.

If it's not working for you despite both of those being set correctly, you'll just have to wait for a bug fix in some future version of Lion. (Personally, Zoom works reliably on my MBP but occasionally quits working entirely—not even the keyboard shortcuts work—on my Mac Pro.)

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Astro7x posted:

So... I use to have this feature in Snow Leopard, is it gone?

I could hold Control and scroll the mouse wheel to zoom into the screen. Now that function is gone, but I've noticed "Smart Zoom" where I can double tape withe one finger and it will zoom into the screen. This is fine with the Magic Mouse, but I can't do that with a Mighty Mouse, or any other mouse for that matter. WTF... the feature is so incredibly helpful when showing somebody a screen from across the room, and you can't use "double tap to zoom" on things like Finder or the Control Panel for example.
I control + trackpad scroll works fine for me, perhaps it somehow got disabled when you upgraded?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Rabid Koala posted:

They moved to the iOS "pinch to zoom" thing. It's a bit more intuitive than holding Ctrl, in my opinion, but you might not like it.

Looks like only if you have a trackpad...

Molten Llama posted:

It's still there. It lives in Universal Access preferences, and for it to work, Zoom needs to be enabled and a setting in the Zoom section's options needs to be turned on.

If it's not working for you despite both of those being set correctly, you'll just have to wait for a bug fix in some future version of Lion. (Personally, Zoom works reliably on my MBP but occasionally quits working entirely—not even the keyboard shortcuts work—on my Mac Pro.)

There it is, thank you! I see it has a bit more advanced options which is nice. Such as just letting it zoom in partially on the screen. Interesting. (Edit: So I can make it full screen Zooming, but not cover up the dock or menu bar, nice!)

And I accidentally just discovered something new to me. Holding down Control and Command and scrolling will make the window you are hovering over transparent. Pretty cool.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

I know that upgrading a week late means my point of view is really unnecessary, but one more gripe—I used to like running my browser and word processor full screen, which meant that I could just slam my cursor to the right side of the screen and click the scroll bar to jump around in the document. Now the new resize controls mean that clicking there just gives me a useless resize cursor. Any workarounds?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is it still possible to grab scroll bars if you set them to always appear?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes, I just tried it right now in Firefox and Safari

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Clicking the scroll bar's fine, it's just that once you get all the way over to the right you're in resize territory. I might just have to throw a "Fitt." ahehahhaha

e: Oh, obviously you can just move the window past the edge of the display so that you can still click the scrollbar but you can't actually get to the proper border. Not great but works for me.

YO MAMA HEAD fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 30, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Astro7x posted:

And I accidentally just discovered something new to me. Holding down Control and Command and scrolling will make the window you are hovering over transparent. Pretty cool.
...that sounds a lot like a semi old hack called Afloat. You wouldn't happen to have had that installed and forgot about it would you? If it is that, other ways to tell would be Afloat additions in Window menus, ctrl-cmd click drag to move a window, ctrl-cmd right click drag to resize, and ctrl-cmd-A to set a window to float.

fleshweasel posted:

Is it still possible to grab scroll bars if you set them to always appear?
During one of the WWDC presentations they showed you can grab the disappearing one while it's on screen, looked a bit awkward though.

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010
So I just bought a new shiny 15" MBP and immediately installed lion on it. Once that was done I attempted to install steam.

When I attempt to load steam it goes through the updating steam (which downloads about 37megs worth of data) then just starts the download process again.

Anyone have any ideas?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

kingfet posted:

So I just bought a new shiny 15" MBP and immediately installed lion on it. Once that was done I attempted to install steam.

When I attempt to load steam it goes through the updating steam (which downloads about 37megs worth of data) then just starts the download process again.

Anyone have any ideas?

Try deleting clientregistry.blob?

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010

computer parts posted:

Try deleting clientregistry.blob?

I have no idea what that means, but if you link me to something I am sure I can figure it out.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there a place to manually download Windows drivers? I would use bootcamp, but it gives out some weird error. I can't update OS X, because it's configured to download updates from a specific server.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

kingfet posted:

I have no idea what that means, but if you link me to something I am sure I can figure it out.

Okay, navigate here in Finder:

/Users/[Username]/Library/Application Support/Steam

note: in Lion this folder is hidden by default, so open up Terminal and post this:

code:
chflags nohidden /users/[Username]/library
(where [Username] is your account name)

There should be a file called "Clientregistry.blob". delete that and then reopen steam. It usually fixes a lot of stuff.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Is anyone else having a problem with firefox being flakey as all gently caress?

At the moment, EVERY time I log into facebook it crashes, and a whole bunch of other pages crash it too.

I'm going to try safemode, but this is getting wearying, and firefox is pretty central to my work as a web developer :(

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010

computer parts posted:

note: in Lion this folder is hidden by default, so open up Terminal and post this:

code:

There should be a file called "Clientregistry.blob". delete that and then reopen steam. It usually fixes a lot of stuff.

I do not even have a steam folder under application support. Oh boy.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

computer parts posted:

code:

Easier still

code:
chflags nohidden ~/Library
The ~ squiggle is bash shorthand for "my home directory"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

duck monster posted:

Is anyone else having a problem with firefox being flakey as all gently caress?

At the moment, EVERY time I log into facebook it crashes, and a whole bunch of other pages crash it too.

I'm going to try safemode, but this is getting wearying, and firefox is pretty central to my work as a web developer :(

Firefox has been working fine for me except every time I try to play a youtube video it says some error message even though the video plays fine.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Rabble posted:

Is anyone else's MBA sucking up battery and running hot with lion?
Mine ran crazy hot for a while, then after a day settled down to a more normal pace. There was some process taking up 20% of my cpu, I think it was reindexing the drive or something.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

duck monster posted:

Easier still

code:
chflags nohidden ~/Library
The ~ squiggle is bash shorthand for "my home directory"

Easier still, open the Go menu, hold Option, click Library. Now with 100% less chance of loving things up in Terminal!

Or Go — Go To Folder, and enter ~/Library there.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I must be the unluckiest son of a bitch.

1. Upgraded my 13" MBP to Lion, which is 2 months out of warranty. Now I can't connect external displays to it any more. The whole system just crashes. This is my main work machine, so for the past week I've been coding on the tiny 13" screen. Spaces have actually made this bearable though.

2. Upgraded my 2011 17" iMac to Lion, and I have the horrible bug where playing any video (flash, html5, quicktime, iTunes) will cause the whole machine to lock up. Every time.

I really, really hope they fix that video crashing thing soon. It's pretty serious. Though, I am a lot more productive now that I can't browse youtube or watch movies :/

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Try a clean install.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

Granite Octopus posted:

Upgraded my 2011 17" iMac to Lion, and I have the horrible bug where playing any video (flash, html5, quicktime, iTunes) will cause the whole machine to lock up. Every time.

What causes this since it doesn't seem to be for all users?

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

If I've already ejected an external hard drive or iPhone, is there a way to remount it without unplugging and replugging the cable? Something in Terminal perhaps?

No reason, just curious. :)

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

vas0line posted:

If I've already ejected an external hard drive or iPhone, is there a way to remount it without unplugging and replugging the cable? Something in Terminal perhaps?

No reason, just curious. :)

Yes, you can do it with hdiutil attach.

You can also use Disk Utility.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Grabbing scrollbars with the cursor isn't that hard even if they're set to hide automatically. Moving the cursor immediately after scrolling makes the scroll bars persist longer.

MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

Space Racist posted:

Noticing a weird bug with waking from sleep and wifi - basically when I wake the computer from sleep, after a couple seconds the wifi status indicator will indicate a full-strength connection to my router, but the computer isn't able to send or receive any data (e.g., if you load a page in Safari, it gives the 'not connected to the internet' message). Oddly enough, when you open the wifi menu, it only shows my SSID and none of the other surrounding ones as normal. Turning wifi off and then back on clears up the issue.

I'm just curious if it's wide-ranging or tied to my individual hardware. I'm running an iMac 11,2 (21.5", mid-2010) and using an AEBS. Never had this issue with any version of Snow Leopard. Has anyone else had this issue?

Reporting it to Apple in any case.

I have this problem too. At first I thought it was the cheap lovely access point I'm using at the moment but if you're getting the same problem with an AEBS it seems to point to it being a Lion issue.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

fleshweasel posted:

Grabbing scrollbars with the cursor isn't that hard even if they're set to hide automatically. Moving the cursor immediately after scrolling makes the scroll bars persist longer.
Moving the cursor at any time when they're visible makes them stay visible, and once you over in the scrollbar area they'll stay there until you move away.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I'm trying to upgrade my Snow Leopard Server to Lion. When I run the installer, it presents me with a message saying 'Waiting for App Store to download Mac OS X Server Add On', but then nothing happens. The App Store doesn't do anything, the download doesn't start, and the installation is stalled.

Has anyone else encountered this? I've done some Googling, but didn't find any answers. I'd really rather avoid installing from scratch, if at all possible.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Crush posted:

What causes this since it doesn't seem to be for all users?

As far as I know it's widespread but only on mid-2011 iMacs. I have not done a clean install though, so perhaps it's something else...

It turns out that InsomniaT (a prefpane to prevent your computer from going to sleep with the lid closed) was causing my crazy lockups when connecting an external display to my MBP. I'm incredibly glad I got that sorted before I drove out to the fruit stand tomorrow. :S

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Molten Llama posted:

Easier still, open the Go menu, hold Option, click Library. Now with 100% less chance of loving things up in Terminal!

Or Go — Go To Folder, and enter ~/Library there.

And 100% less likely to fix the problem of it not appearing in finder.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I've been using Adium for IM, but it seems to be a little buggy - the URL button doesn't seem to actually do anything, for one.

Is there anything better for using MSN and AIM in one client?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

japtor posted:

...that sounds a lot like a semi old hack called Afloat. You wouldn't happen to have had that installed and forgot about it would you? If it is that, other ways to tell would be Afloat additions in Window menus, ctrl-cmd click drag to move a window, ctrl-cmd right click drag to resize, and ctrl-cmd-A to set a window to float.

Well what do you know... I remember installing Afloat a LONG time ago, completely forgot about it until now.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

Granite Octopus posted:

As far as I know it's widespread but only on mid-2011 iMacs. I have not done a clean install though, so perhaps it's something else...

It turns out that InsomniaT (a prefpane to prevent your computer from going to sleep with the lid closed) was causing my crazy lockups when connecting an external display to my MBP. I'm incredibly glad I got that sorted before I drove out to the fruit stand tomorrow. :S

Hmm. Mine is on a clean install of Lion on an Early 2011 15" MacBook Pro without InsomniaT installed or any external displays hooked up.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Has anybody had any weird trash problems after upgrading to Lion?

Trash seems to take forever to empty, and sometimes it just seems to hang and never empty some files. Now even moving files to trash takes some time.

Thoughts?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Granite Octopus posted:

I must be the unluckiest son of a bitch.

1. Upgraded my 13" MBP to Lion, which is 2 months out of warranty. Now I can't connect external displays to it any more. The whole system just crashes. This is my main work machine, so for the past week I've been coding on the tiny 13" screen. Spaces have actually made this bearable though.

2. Upgraded my 2011 17" iMac to Lion, and I have the horrible bug where playing any video (flash, html5, quicktime, iTunes) will cause the whole machine to lock up. Every time.

I really, really hope they fix that video crashing thing soon. It's pretty serious. Though, I am a lot more productive now that I can't browse youtube or watch movies :/

Is the 13" a 2011? The latest video drivers are kind of buggy and are causing people issues. There are people that said on the gfxcardstatus bug report that their 2011 MBP can only do external display on ATI when in Snow Leopard they would work with both. Me thinks a few version updates should fix that.

Have you tried chrome in regards to flash/html5? I had that problem with safari on my 27" and haven't really had issues in chrome. Sometimes in iTunes I'll have a lag but I've yet to have a full lockup on my system.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

dexter6 posted:

Has anybody had any weird trash problems after upgrading to Lion?

Trash seems to take forever to empty, and sometimes it just seems to hang and never empty some files. Now even moving files to trash takes some time.

Thoughts?

Do you have safe delete turned on? Mine was taking forever until I turned it off. I suppose I could turn it back on but, meh. Whole disk encryption is good enough for a personal machine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The new "keep apps open after they close" mechanic in Lion has hosed with my Trash behaviour more than once.

Both times I downloaded short clips off the web, played them in QuickTime X, quit quicktime and dragged the clips to the trash. A day or so later I try to empty the trash and lo behold "xyz.avi is in use". A quick lsof in terminal reveals QuickTime to be the culprit, despite me having closed all (visual) instances a day prior. Kill -9'd QuickTime and my trash empties just fine.

Looks like Apple might not have a QuickTime bug on their hands since I guess it should relinquish all files when it closes.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Do you have safe delete turned on? Mine was taking forever until I turned it off. I suppose I could turn it back on but, meh. Whole disk encryption is good enough for a personal machine.
Alright that helped, but I have one video file that is still there that trash says it can't empty because it is still in use. I don't have VLC open anymore...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

dexter6 posted:

Alright that helped, but I have one video file that is still there that trash says it can't empty because it is still in use. I don't have VLC open anymore...?

open terminal:

"lsof | grep -i [part of video filename]" will tell you what process is using the file in question

Then you can kill -9 [processID] or you can kill it from the Activity Monitor. In any case, see above -- this is exactly what happened to me, except with QuickTime.