Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Apologize but my point still stands. Is Ghosts N Stuff a trance song or did the makers of this mediocre trance compilation just throw it in there for the hell of it. (the version on the CD is actually the long version without vocals)

Also another question. In the OP Daft Punk is mentioned as the most "known" example of House Music. It seems to me quite a few Daft Punk songs are pretty experimental or just straight up aren't house at all, is this the case with most house artists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Apologize but my point still stands. Is Ghosts N Stuff a trance song or did the makers of this mediocre trance compilation just throw it in there for the hell of it. (the version on the CD is actually the long version without vocals)

Also another question. In the OP Daft Punk is mentioned as the most "known" example of House Music. It seems to me quite a few Daft Punk songs are pretty experimental or just straight up aren't house at all, is this the case with most house artists?

ahahahhahaha oh my god

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I'd appreciate a little more clarity than that, I think these are valid questions and this thread is not super active anyways so you could take time to enlighten someone who is new to this kind of music rather than just "hahahaha" at them.

With Daft Punk I got the cd Musique Vol. 1, and all the songs seem to be house except for "Something About Us" and I'm not sure about "Robot Rock" either. I'm just wondering if this is the usual case with house artists or not to step outside their genre.

edit: Seriously, I mean I knew before posting that these weren't exactly Grade A questions but I thought maybe someone could humor me with some discussion since a lot of posts in this thread have just been consistent of a youtube link or "what's going on with soandso festival." No one I know in real life listens to this kind of music so I can't ask them these questions. Yes they are kind of stupid but oh well.

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 30, 2011

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Ghosts N Stuff is electro house, whoever put the trance compilation together is obviously trying to get a mainstream song on there to pander to people who have very little knowledge in trance(edited because I'm a moron). The "long version without vocals" by the way is referred to as the original mix about 95% of the time. Electronic music evolves constantly, and house music is a pretty big umbrella term for music, so there are plenty of different styles of house music and so many subgenres that you can't pinpoint an exact sound. Daft Punk is basically considered one of the groups responsible for popularizing French house, for example, listen to "Around the World" if you think that most of their stuff isn't house.

pog boyfriend fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 30, 2011

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Thanks for the answer.

As for the compilation part, I only bought it because I was looking for Deadmau5 4x4=12 and it was unfortunately not there.

No most of their stuff does sound like house, but every once in a while a random track like this one will come on and just raise some questions.

Honestly I'm trying to do some more personal listening so I don't have to be berated on forums but sometimes I wanna hear a reply from a more experienced listener/connoisseur/whatever. If you find the questions so hilarious you really don't have to answer.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
"Experimental" doesn't mean "of a different genre than most of the artist's songs". That's a kitchy lounge-disco song, but there's nothing odd about a house artist, let alone a French one, making one of those.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Pretty new-ish electro house track.
http://soundcloud.com/burr-rabbit/bullet

Start is a bit minimal but it gets really heavy later on.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Thanks for the answer.

As for the compilation part, I only bought it because I was looking for Deadmau5 4x4=12 and it was unfortunately not there.

No most of their stuff does sound like house, but every once in a while a random track like this one will come on and just raise some questions.

Honestly I'm trying to do some more personal listening so I don't have to be berated on forums but sometimes I wanna hear a reply from a more experienced listener/connoisseur/whatever. If you find the questions so hilarious you really don't have to answer.
If you start diving more into house music you'll figure out why people find your comments about not knowing if Daft Punk is house music funny. (An example of house music)

The reasons you may find some of those Daft Punk songs "experimental" is because house music is very diverse in how it can sound (there's a lot of subgenres of house too). Just compare how each Daft Punk album sounds and you'll get what I mean. Now if you're wonder what a house song is it's hard to give a specific answer, but at its basics it's "Sample a song, and then funkify it".

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

jvempire posted:

If you start diving more into house music you'll figure out why people find your comments about not knowing if Daft Punk is house music funny. (An example of house music)

The reasons you may find some of those Daft Punk songs "experimental" is because house music is very diverse in how it can sound (there's a lot of subgenres of house too). Just compare how each Daft Punk album sounds and you'll get what I mean. Now if you're wonder what a house song is it's hard to give a specific answer, but at its basics it's "Sample a song, and then funkify it".

Except House neither needs to sample another song, nor funkify it. Just to add more confusion into the mix there. Really I'd label stuff House by the time honoured tradition of tempo. House will generally be around 120-130bpm give or take. And in general it'll have a four-to-the-floor drum pattern. Except the odd occasion when it doesn't. Oh my.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

to quote an old record store owner from here: "It's all just disco"

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Threatis posted:

to quote an old record store owner from here: "It's all just disco"

to quote a Rolling Stone reader: "It's all just blues"

jvempire
May 10, 2009

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Except House neither needs to sample another song, nor funkify it. Just to add more confusion into the mix there. Really I'd label stuff House by the time honoured tradition of tempo. House will generally be around 120-130bpm give or take. And in general it'll have a four-to-the-floor drum pattern. Except the odd occasion when it doesn't. Oh my.
Yeah it doesn't need sample or funk, and what you say there is true. But I think maybe the best way to help know how house music sounds (for x TOMMYBOY x atleast) is to listen to a bunch of house music and he'll probably figure it out. Though I guess that's true for most music anyways :v:.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

jvempire posted:

Yeah it doesn't need sample or funk, and what you say there is true. But I think maybe the best way to help know how house music sounds (for x TOMMYBOY x atleast) is to listen to a bunch of house music and he'll probably figure it out. Though I guess that's true for most music anyways :v:.

Oh of course, I just didn't want him thinking that House had to have samples etc in it.

If anyone is actually interested in old House and the roots of it, BCM Records put out a 15cd boxset in 1988 called The History Of The House Sound Of Chicago. The first few discs are old Disco/Italo-Disco tunes that predated and influenced what we call House nowadays. The rest are full of classic tracks from Trax, DJ International and other smaller labels. We've got some Acid House in there, as well as some Detroit Techno as well.

There is a vinyl set that's a lot easier to find but it's missing a lot of the tunes(they got siphoned off into another release. Late 80s DLC really), so grab the CD version if you can. Well I say grab, in all honesty if you see it for less than a ton (if at all) you'll be lucky. And since it's a 20+ year old long, long out of print thing then you're probably find it easier just to nab it online somewhere.

Like I always say, knowing the history and roots of something can really help you get your head round how the sound has developed into the modern day. A firm foundation, then all you need to do is trace the routes the sound took and see how this mixed with that, to create this new version etc.

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves
Nyc mdbp is absolutely insane, claude von stroke owned and played original don already

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves
Dj mehdi just showed up

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Paul Kalkbrenner's new essential mix is a thing of beauty http://mixdeluxe.wordpress.com/2011/07/30/essential-mix-%E2%80%93-2011-07-30-%E2%80%93-paul-kalkbrenner/

Kerk
Feb 9, 2008

Since 1992

Stuntastic posted:

Nyc mdbp is absolutely insane, claude von stroke owned and played original don already

Dude Vonstroke destroyed the place! Whole block party was unbelievable.

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves

Kerk posted:

I've been inspired to bug my friends to drive out to Philly for the next one, because this was just ridiculous and we didn't even have Devro, Diplo, or Sega.

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.

Kerk posted:

I am super stoked to see him next Friday. The same club has Hot Natured, Art vs. Science, Scuba, Steffi, Marcel Dettman, Guy Gerber, Moodymann, Maceo Plex, Art Department, and Onur Ozer coming in the next few months, toooo much partying.

Changing gears, anyone into Brenmar? http://www.discobelle.net/2011/07/30/brenmar%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%98slow-grind-deep-hustle%E2%80%99-dummy-mix/

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
GREAT remix of "Hey Boy Hey Girl" from the Chem Bros. by Disco of Doom.

http://soundcloud.com/discoofdoom/the-chemical-bothers-hey-boy

they have a set they recently put together on their main page as well that was pretty awesome. Both have downloads. It's good to see someone put this song to good use.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Battle Cattle posted:

I am super stoked to see him next Friday. The same club has Hot Natured, Art vs. Science, Scuba, Steffi, Marcel Dettman, Guy Gerber, Moodymann, Maceo Plex, Art Department, and Onur Ozer coming in the next few months, toooo much partying.

I saw moodymann & art dept. a while back. It was spec-tac-ular.
Thats a decent block of nights.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Dono posted:

GREAT remix of "Hey Boy Hey Girl" from the Chem Bros. by Disco of Doom.

http://soundcloud.com/discoofdoom/the-chemical-bothers-hey-boy

they have a set they recently put together on their main page as well that was pretty awesome. Both have downloads. It's good to see someone put this song to good use.

Listening to it now...it's not bad at all!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I am in love with this track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIIK1jdMHUA

I need to hear this on a big system.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlUinhQfKkI

hahahahahahahahaha Please laugh with me now. Had someone tell me this is the future of electro and I died inside.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Longtiem posted:

bringing this thread back to a discussion of MUSIC

sorry to bump this from waaaay back but what video is this from?

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Finnish Flasher posted:

sorry to bump this from waaaay back but what video is this from?
Que que.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFZ-WWtzivk

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Dono posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlUinhQfKkI

hahahahahahahahaha Please laugh with me now. Had someone tell me this is the future of electro and I died inside.

how is that not the future considering all the big names have now produced pop tracks?

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

and even more directly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ6zr6kCPj8

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

but hey this music is all underground and cool right? we're in a totally exclusive club right, RIGHT?

:ocelot::chord:

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves
ummmmm p.rock anthem owns

as does this remix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QiZY-N_4dc

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX8cgyqxFrY

Expect to hear this 1,000,000 times this summer.

and bros to love it!

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Stuntastic posted:

ummmmm p.rock anthem owns

I'm pretty accepting of almost all straight up radio pop and I can honestly say I would love to see one or both of them choke on glitter.

also:

quote:

They are the son and grandson, respectively, of Motown record label founder Berry Gordy, making them uncle and nephew.

is the funniest thing I have ever read.

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves

Threatis posted:

I'm pretty accepting of almost all straight up radio pop and I can honestly say I would love to see one or both of them choke on glitter.

also:

is the funniest thing I have ever read.

You're not a fan of the ubiquitous, canonical "I'm In (Your City) B*tch"?

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Stuntastic posted:

You're not a fan of the ubiquitous, canonical "I'm In (Your City) B*tch"?

not going to lie, i will play "i'm in ottawa bitch"

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves
http://soundcloud.com/skinny412/karl-malone-skinny-friedman

Whole EP owns, just gotta retweet it and it's yrs for free

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
That V.I.P. track was an abomination in my ears, but the Party Rock Anthem was get-down-to-able. Then again I have little emotional investment in what "real" house/electro/synth is.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

That V.I.P. track was an abomination in my ears, but the Party Rock Anthem was get-down-to-able. Then again I have little emotional investment in what "real" house/electro/synth is.

it has nothing about emotional investment. it is a bad song.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Threatis posted:

it has nothing about emotional investment. it is a bad song.

Which one? Both? You're probably right I'm just saying if I had to jam one it would be the Party Rock Anthem

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Empire of the Sun finally coming to Toronto. Siiiiiiiiiiiiiicccckk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I'm still not getting how Moombahton is big. It seems like it's one of those genres that's just going to die within a few months/end of the year.