Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Remember that Fantasy is a really, really bad genre, such that those who are really good at it get skimmed off into literature and kept far away from the taint of that label.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

99.9% of fantasy isn't even good enough to wipe your rear end with.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

Iggles posted:

Stop me if this sounds patronising but you know that women don't have periods whilst pregnant right?

hailthefish posted:

Are you sure?

Intentionally being patronizing every now and then a woman will experience menstruation but actually be pregnant. And your final authority Wikipedia page says "normally" not "always."

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

AngusPodgorny posted:

I think any competently written and edited novel should never disappoint. If there's a section that makes the reader think "god, this is tedious and pointless, when will the author move on," then it should be fixed, and if it's not, I feel entitled to complain about it.

Plenty of novels I've recently read haven't disappointed like Martin (and Rothfuss but this is the wrong thread for him) does for large sections - The Big Sleep, Grand Sophy, Lolita, Foucalt's Pendulum, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Blood Meridian, etc. Sure, the authors are among the best of their genres, but I thought Martin was supposed to be among the best in fantasy.

He is. Even when he missteps he trounces his peers.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Maytag posted:

Intentionally being patronizing every now and then a woman will experience menstruation but actually be pregnant. And your final authority Wikipedia page says "normally" not "always."

Yes, because it's far more likely that she happens to be menstruating during pregnancy than, you know, just regular menstruating. :suicide:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

AngusPodgorny posted:

I think any competently written and edited novel should never disappoint. If there's a section that makes the reader think "god, this is tedious and pointless, when will the author move on," then it should be fixed, and if it's not, I feel entitled to complain about it.

Plenty of novels I've recently read haven't disappointed like Martin (and Rothfuss but this is the wrong thread for him) does for large sections - The Big Sleep, Grand Sophy, Lolita, Foucalt's Pendulum, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Blood Meridian, etc. Sure, the authors are among the best of their genres, but I thought Martin was supposed to be among the best in fantasy.

Being the best writer in Fantasy is kind of like winning the Special Olympics.

I mean, there are a handful of decent Fantasy writers out there, but I don't think anybody expects even them to churn out the next great American novel.

Martin's worldbuilding is amazing, and his worst is still miles above the worst of stuff in Wheel of Time and other epic fantasy series, but he still leaves a lot to complain about. Especially when he gives his fans so long to do so.

What is great about this series though is the re-read potential. So many huge hints are dropped in side conversations and observations. The first time you read thrhough you miss 90% of what is going on. I can't think of any other Sci Fi or Fantasy authors that could pull that off.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 31, 2011

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I've had this thought reading the last couple of pages. If Aerys' liberties with Joanna during her and Tywin's bedding was copulation, the result wouldn't have been Tyrion but it could have resulted in Jaime and Cersei. I present the following flimsy evidence for this theory;
-Targs have lots of twins and twincest,
-Jaime and Cersei are light haired (I'm not sure if all Targs MUST be platinum blond), and
-Cersei is batshit insane much like Aerys.
If this is the case, then Tommen is the actual heir :haw:

I'm also confused with Melisandre's motivations at the Wall. I thought Jon and Sam smuggled Mance's kid out so she wouldn't have the "blood of two kings" or whatever, but by NOT burning Mance and letting him roam around on her errands she clearly doesn't want to kill him yet. AFAIK she doesn't know that Monster is actually Gilly's kid, so what made her change her mind?

Poldarn fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 31, 2011

Cryle
Jul 19, 2008

by Ozmaugh

showbiz_liz posted:

That's what I thought too. Am I totally misremembering, or did Jamie say something about Brienne's neck being covered up, like by a scarf or something? I figured it was to hide the hideous rope marks...

No it's much more likely that the ghost of catelyn stark had a change of heart.

Poldarn posted:

I'm also confused with Melisandre's motivations at the Wall. I thought Jon and Sam smuggled Mance's kid out so she wouldn't have the "blood of two kings" or whatever, but by NOT burning Mance and letting him roam around on her errands she clearly doesn't want to kill him yet. AFAIK she doesn't know that Monster is actually Gilly's kid, so what made her change her mind?

She knew Mance was alive but Jon didn't.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

hailthefish posted:

Yes, because it's far more likely that she happens to be menstruating during pregnancy than, you know, just regular menstruating. :suicide:

I forget who, but someone in the IRC channel argued that it might have been a miscarriage instead of a period.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

That's also a decent possibility since (thankfully) Gurm didn't tell us enough about her menstrual cycles and general physical wellbeing to hazard more than a guess.

If she wasn't having a period before, it probably means she's started having one again.

If she was having one before, it's either normal cycle time in which case why bother writing about it, or a miscarriage/ectopic pregnancy/some other horrible blood-coming-from-vag condition.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Hold up, is there any evidence that Dany really is barren aside from Mrri Maz Dur's words?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Okay, just finished this. Enjoyed it more than AFFC at least. Didn't see Jon Snow getting killed coming, although in retrospect I should have. He was following the same "honor first" kind of policy his father was, and look how that turned out.

I saw something earlier in the thread that confused me though, did Hodor die? Because I don't remember that at all.

Also, here's to hoping the prologue of the next book is zombie Ser Gregor smashing Aegon's head against a wall. THOUGHT YOU COULD FOOL ME, DID YOU? I FINISH WHAT I START

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I really doubt zombie Gregor retains much of his previous life. Especially if his head is missing.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

PeterWeller posted:

.. but I don't want to get into a big derail about it.
We need to save up all the derails so we have something to talk about while waiting for Godot.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
For half a second I thought that was a new acronym for the series and I got really confused.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

xamphear posted:

Audiobooks aren't books for people who don't like to read.
Not ALWAYS, they aren't. Sadly (to me) I know real people in my own sphere who can't be bothered to crack a book open, but they'll download the audiobook and be read to. I think it's sad and lazy and that's because (in my opinion) it is a disservice to the work and to the person who should be reading it.
It aggravates me and my posting shows this. Sorry, it's my own personal bias and I admit that.

quote:

I'm genuinely sorry that you don't like them, but your generalizations are off-base, and you DID turn into a caricature. I highlighted your inconsistency in my quote.

Again, I respectfully disagree. I have a point-of-view, and I think I make my case. I see no inconsistency. If I'm a caricature, it's not the dumb hipster that someone else posted before about "reading, maaannn." My POV is valid and should not be reduced to that idiocy.

You either read a book or you don't. Don't be sorry (genuinely or otherwise), I love to read; and when I do it, I buy the print and I lose myself in it. It's a joy and I wouldn't have it any other way. Opinions differ. That's to be expected.

I do apologize for the derail, because my original point was that I don't think people who skim and skip whole chapters should consider themselves informed to judge the work as a whole. That was the point of my original post.
The comment about audiobooks obviously struck a nerve and people posted objections and asked me direct questions which I attempted to answer. I will not post another word on the subject.

Please carry on with all the reasons why GRRM is an absolute fucker who writes 1,000 pages of nothing and the Dany/Jon/Tyrion/Quentin/who-the-gently caress-ever chapters were pointless and didn't advance the plot and boo-loving-hoo this series sucks and I won't read another word (except I will) and nipples on a breastplate words are wind Brienne chapters suck, blah blah.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Poldarn posted:

I've had this thought reading the last couple of pages. If Aerys' liberties with Joanna during her and Tywin's bedding was copulation, the result wouldn't have been Tyrion but it could have resulted in Jaime and Cersei. I present the following flimsy evidence for this theory;
-Jaime and Cersei are light haired (I'm not sure if all Targs MUST be platinum blond), and

It would reaffirm Tyrion's tragic relationship with his farther, making him is only true son. And Cersei being so insane and Jaime so sane and reasonable would reaffirm the two-sidedness of the brilliant/crazy Targaryens. And yes the Lannisters being the legitimate kings all along would be truly hilarious.

If you want really far-fetched it's possible they aren't twins but Cersei and Jaime were both conceived by different men. Tywin/Aerys on the wedding night.

Rosscifer fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 31, 2011

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Did the latest book reveal who killed Jofferey? I have no interest in reading any further but am wondering if the long winded author finally got around to tying up that dangling thread.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

The Rat posted:

Also, here's to hoping the prologue of the next book is zombie Ser Gregor smashing Aegon's head against a wall. THOUGHT YOU COULD FOOL ME, DID YOU? I FINISH WHAT I START
This would be amazing

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Amethyst posted:

Did the latest book reveal who killed Jofferey? I have no interest in reading any further but am wondering if the long winded author finally got around to tying up that dangling thread.

No one is this stupid, but your troll is appreciated.

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009

Amethyst posted:

That thread was tied up in Storm of Swords. After Littlefinger whisks Sansa away he has her guess who it was that actually put the poison in Joffrey's cup and it's revealed that Littlefinger planned it out with Laddy Olanna, Margarey's grandmother. She goes to give Sansa a hug, plucks one of the gems from her hairnet out, and uses that to poison Joff's wine.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Amethyst posted:

Sounds like someone didn't actually read the past four books.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Azure_Horizon posted:

Sounds like someone didn't actually read the past four books.

Correct, I stopped after book 3 because I realized GRRM was pulling a Robert Jordan and adding a bunch of boring poo poo to the original story to stretch it out. Briefly skimming this thread, it seems the plot has barely moved since the third book.

I read storm of swords like 6 years ago, but I seem to remember some hints that someone else may have been behind the death of Joffery besides the obvious suspects but I guess not.

EDIT: Has the threat from the north materialized yet? That was foreshadowed literally on the first page of the first book and didn't make much progress in the first three novels.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jul 31, 2011

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Dr. Faustus posted:

Not ALWAYS, they aren't. Sadly (to me) I know real people in my own sphere who can't be bothered to crack a book open, but they'll download the audiobook and be read to. I think it's sad and lazy and that's because (in my opinion) it is a disservice to the work and to the person who should be reading it.
It aggravates me and my posting shows this. Sorry, it's my own personal bias and I admit that.

Again, I respectfully disagree. I have a point-of-view, and I think I make my case. I see no inconsistency. If I'm a caricature, it's not the dumb hipster that someone else posted before about "reading, maaannn." My POV is valid and should not be reduced to that idiocy.

You either read a book or you don't. Don't be sorry (genuinely or otherwise), I love to read; and when I do it, I buy the print and I lose myself in it. It's a joy and I wouldn't have it any other way. Opinions differ. That's to be expected.

I do apologize for the derail, because my original point was that I don't think people who skim and skip whole chapters should consider themselves informed to judge the work as a whole. That was the point of my original post.
The comment about audiobooks obviously struck a nerve and people posted objections and asked me direct questions which I attempted to answer. I will not post another word on the subject.

Please carry on with all the reasons why GRRM is an absolute fucker who writes 1,000 pages of nothing and the Dany/Jon/Tyrion/Quentin/who-the-gently caress-ever chapters were pointless and didn't advance the plot and boo-loving-hoo this series sucks and I won't read another word (except I will) and nipples on a breastplate words are wind Brienne chapters suck, blah blah.

The majority of people who have spoken about skipping did so because they wanted to skip Dany's chapters because they are boring, awfully written trash.

Also, while Martin is clearly the second coming of Joyce for the fantasy genre, criticizing him for repeating his selfmade phrases is perfectly valid. Authors have writing styles and sometimes, just sometimes, they have bad habits that make for lovely writing. Dean "Talking Dog" Koontz, Stephen "Magical Retard" King, and George "Dramatic Cliffhanger" Martin all deserve to be called out on their flaws.

Rhymenoceros
Nov 16, 2008
Monks, a statement endowed with five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people. Which five?

It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will.

Unoriginal Name posted:

The majority of people who have spoken about skipping did so because they wanted to skip Dany's chapters because they are boring, awfully written trash.

Also, while Martin is clearly the second coming of Joyce for the fantasy genre, criticizing him for repeating his selfmade phrases is perfectly valid. Authors have writing styles and sometimes, just sometimes, they have bad habits that make for lovely writing. Dean "Talking Dog" Koontz, Stephen "Magical Retard" King, and George "Dramatic Cliffhanger" Martin all deserve to be called out on their flaws.
If I spent all that time reading a thousand pages of aDwD, it means it must have been really good. Why else would I have done it?

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Thoguh posted:

What is great about this series though is the re-read potential. So many huge hints are dropped in side conversations and observations. The first time you read thrhough you miss 90% of what is going on. I can't think of any other Sci Fi or Fantasy authors that could pull that off.
Gene Wolfe is like this, but even more so (well, less emphasis on mysterious history and more on mysterious present). I recommend The Book of the New Sun.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
I finally got around to finishing ADWD. Here are my thoughts:

Overall I quite liked it. The pacing was overly slow in parts*, and there was some stylistic repetition beyond the usual nuncles and makes-no-mattering** but there was a lot of richness added to the world and a few good "holy poo poo!" moments - the two biggest being Jon killing Slynt, and Jon's apparent death. He'll probably come back though - there's an interesting theory going around that at the time of Jon's death, the circumstances fulfilled the prophecy of Azor Ahai come again, and failing that, he might be able to warg into Ghost like the prologue guy.

I enjoyed finally finding out what was going on with the 3 eyed crow, and Bran's new-found role.

Theon's story was pretty hard to read at times due to how hosed-up it was.

Alys Karstark is my favourite new minor character.

Dany really needs to get a move on and invade Westeros. At least she's finally doing something with the dragons. I didn't mind the Meerenese stuff too much, but I wouldn't mind the focus coming back to Westeros again either.

Victarion is a dumb thug who only seems non-evil in comparison to the likes of Ramsay.

I was only a little surprised when Quentyn died - he didn't really seem worthy of being one of the three heads of the dragon.

This is less of a problem than in AFFC, but there are too drat many lords, houses, etc, to keep track of who's allied with/married to/blood-enemies-of who.

Repetitive quirks aside, the writing is better than ever.

*There seems to be an issue where everyone has to come together at the right time, so every plot has to be slowed down to match the pace of the slowest-moving one, lest things get out of sync. There's also the issue of the series currently being like 8 loosely related stories running in parallel.

**In particular, GRRM somewhat overuses a chapter structure that goes like this:

We rejoin a character sometime after their last chapter. The character wanders around ruminating over their current predicament and getting into arguments. In the course of this, they almost incidentally reveal how the previous cliffhanger was resolved. Then right at the end of the chapter they stumble into the next cliffhanger.

edit: By the way, this thread on Westeros is good for checking out any implied stuff you might have missed (especially useful for the always-tricky prophecies).

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 31, 2011

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

quote:

There seems to be an issue where everyone has to come together at the right time, so every plot has to be slowed down to match the pace of the slowest-moving one, lest things get out of sync. There's also the issue of the series currently being like 8 loosely related stories running in parallel.

Soap opera syndrome.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Unoriginal Name posted:

Awfully written? I might not like this chapter or that, but at least I respect the time and thought and effort that goes into creating those chapters. I have read too much Koontz out of boredom and I admit I want that time back. I can honestly say that I regret reading his awful books.
I love King's books overall and he's a very stylistic guy who has had and abandoned some very idiosyncratic devices like putting character's thoughts in italics or repeating stuff for effect; or putting retarded characters in his stories. King is weird because he's so prolific, I can't in honesty compare him to Martin. King is a loving genius of his genre and I enjoy his works, warts and all.

Me, I was put off by the way so many Tyrion chapters ended with him looking dead or doomed. I read the EW interviews and he's admitted that he ended too many chapter with cliffhangers. They were still good chapters, though. Yeah, I rolled my eyes. "O yeah, THIS TIME Tyrion is dead. Yeah, right."

Those are valid criticisms and well deserved. As for establishing his own voice, I think for the most part we see it as his attempt at world-building and to harp on it is a matter of opinion. My own opinion is that it's stupid to dwell on it. He's a drat good author, as evidenced by the huge threads of discussion he inspires all over the internet. Criticism is fair, but I for one disagree with the easy cherry-pickers who just go for the low-hanging-fruit while at the same time being silent about the truly transcendent awesomeness he writes. My opinion is that it's bitching for the sake of bitching.

I give no credence to the claims that "nothing happens" or "the plot doesn't advance" and I argue against the claims that "I skip this character's POV chapters because they're "stupid and go nowhere." In my opinion, that's a stupid stance to advocate, and not worthy. You read a book, or you do not.

I am NOT saying that GRRM makes no mistakes or that his prose is perfect and unassailable. I just disagree with a lot of the poo poo he's given. Okay?

[edit] I apologize, because I have definite opinions and SA is the only place I actually express them. You are all welcome to disagree. It's the same reason I don't talk Trek at the Trek.bbs. I want to speak my piece without engaging with the crazy Trek/Star Wars/Fantasy fanatics. I just want to be heard even if my voice is somewhat dissenting. I'm not that nutty or invested in some fantasy universe; but I do have definite, coherent thoughts that I hope aren't obsessive. If I've crossed that line, please disregard.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 31, 2011

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

hailthefish posted:

I didn't say that Dany was pregnant just that you're a smug gently caress posting links to Wikipedia and still misreading them.

Cryle posted:

No it's much more likely that the ghost of catelyn stark had a change of heart.

What was the word she shouted just as she was hanged? If it was "JAAAAAAAAAAIME" I'm done with this series. I don't really see Cat having a change of heart about anything at this point, so I'm betting on Zombie Brienne.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

It was probably 'sword' and she accepted ZombieCat's demands.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Dr. Faustus posted:

He's a drat good author, as evidenced by the huge threads of discussion he inspires all over the internet.

Twilight inspires discussion. Doesn't mean it's good.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop

Unoriginal Name posted:

Twilight inspires discussion. Doesn't mean it's good.

The guy is probably the best fantasy writer writing today or in the past 20 years. Yes, it's like being the shiniest turd, but it's something.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Poldarn posted:

Remember also that Joanna was like a second cousin to Tywin, so that would explain why Jaime and Cercei would have blond hair independent of who the father is.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

The guy is probably the best fantasy writer writing today or in the past 20 years. Yes, it's like being the shiniest turd, but it's something.

He really isn't though. Instead of being praised for his subversion of the genre, he should be criticized for falling into the same traps that plague every other fantasy series since the 1990s.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

Maybe 15 years, because until his death in 1995, Roger Zelazny was a LOT better.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Maytag posted:

I didn't say that Dany was pregnant just that you're a smug gently caress posting links to Wikipedia and still misreading them.

At what point did I say it was impossible? I just said that "her vag is bleeding, she must be pregnant!" is pretty much the only thing that's NOT reasonable to assume. Sure it's POSSIBLE, a lot of things are possible, but makes no sense in the context of the book or the situation.

Would you like some more, ~legitimate~ sources to explain how wrong this is, because Wikipedia isn't ~good enough~ to explain why this is dumb?

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Poldarn posted:

While this idea is paper thin (and probably not credible), the fact that Aerys 'took liberties' on the wedding night would seem to rule out Tyrion being a secret Targ since Cersei and Jaime are the eldest children. That's basically it. Tyrion can't be a secret Targ because he was born after Cersei and Jaime.

Alekanderu
Aug 27, 2003

Med plutonium tvingar vi dansken på knä.

i am not so sure posted:

Maybe 15 years, because until his death in 1995, Roger Zelazny was a LOT better.

Zelazny definitely wrote better, technically speaking, but GRRM is better in other areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Alekanderu posted:

Zelazny definitely wrote better, technically speaking, but GRRM is better in other areas.

The only area I can possibly think of is world-building, but Zelazny really didn't give a poo poo about that. His style lent to a more abstract, in-the-moment story with amazing characters and creativity.