Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

It might just be hair or a bit of particulate under the glass. If you're feeling adventurous you can get a suction cup, tilt the glass out a bit and blow it with a hair drier and see if it comes flying out.

Do this only after someone at the Apple store tells you to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I like fixing things myself but if it's under warranty just let them give you a new one.

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

SourKraut posted:

I have a friend who is thinking of picking up a 13" MBP for school, and I've been able to answer most questions, but they asked about whether the i5 is sufficient (they're a architectural major, so it'd probably be stuff like AutoCad, etc.), or if they should pay extra for the i7.

I see that the i7 Turbos up higher, is slightly-faster in terms of the HD3000 on-board graphics, and has some features (I'm guessing they wouldn't use) such as AES-NI and such. Is the i7 worth the upgrade cost?

I'm a senior architecture student and I plan on picking up the 13" Air this summer to allow me to be more mobile so I can get out of studio every once in a while! However, the 13" Air will compliment my i5 desktop Hackintosh that I use when I need more muscle.

The Air even with its HD3000 will run AutoCAD, Revit, Rhino, Maya and the Adobe suite fine. If the 13" Air is going to be their primary machine for next few years in school the i7 could potentially be worth it if he sees himself doing renders on the machine. The extra 10% increase in performance could shave some serious time when he is crunched for it.

Depending on his media library size, he will probably want to move to the 256 GB SSD simply because once they end up installing all the required programs and most likely BootCamp he will appreciate the extra space. I have a 120 GB HD on my older Macbook and with the Adobe Suite installed, 20GB of music and no bootcamp I'm already pushing for space.

I'd recommend if money is more flexible and they only want to use 1 computer he might want to look at the 15" Pro simply because its 6XXX card is leagues above the HD3000 and it by default comes with more storage space.

KidDynamite posted:

Not much. He probably will not be using AutoCAD much in fact. Considering they pay drafters to do that poo poo in the first place.

Students don't pay drafters to do their work?

AutoCAD is still widely used by students. I've used it for every project.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Welp, my new 4GB RAM arrived today, so I shut down the Mac Pro and added it. I restarted and it showed 10GB. Then I restarted into single-user mode and ran memtest. I went and cooked dinner, and when I came back, it had rebooted into the desktop and the fans were running full blast.

I restarted again, and it showed me only 6GB RAM. I shut it down, moved the 4GB that's on the bottom card (the one that's having the problems) to the other two slots and started it up again, still only showing 6GB RAM. At least the stuff on the top card is OK, but it looks like it needs to go to the Apple Store.

I'm hoping it's the card the RAM sits on and not the motherboard.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Do the refurbs come with Lion?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nope. You go to the apple site to register it and they email you a free download code. Some older refurbs with c2d processors are not eligible.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What are the specs for the camera on the 11inch Air? I can't find the details anywhere.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Mu Zeta posted:

Nope. You go to the apple site to register it and they email you a free download code. Some older refurbs with c2d processors are not eligible.

Hmm... refurb 13" MBP or Lenovo X220 with SSD, IPS screen, and 9cell battery. :emo:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Between those two I'd get the x220

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bassguitarhero posted:

Welp, my new 4GB RAM arrived today, so I shut down the Mac Pro and added it. I restarted and it showed 10GB. Then I restarted into single-user mode and ran memtest. I went and cooked dinner, and when I came back, it had rebooted into the desktop and the fans were running full blast.

I restarted again, and it showed me only 6GB RAM. I shut it down, moved the 4GB that's on the bottom card (the one that's having the problems) to the other two slots and started it up again, still only showing 6GB RAM. At least the stuff on the top card is OK, but it looks like it needs to go to the Apple Store.

I'm hoping it's the card the RAM sits on and not the motherboard.
Why did you even gently caress around with it for so long before taking it to the apple store?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

fleshweasel posted:

Why did you even gently caress around with it for so long before taking it to the apple store?
Because he uses it for work and thus being able to isolate and fix the problem on his own would yield significantly less down time than if Apple has to repair it?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I understand doing the basics, trying different slots and combinations of ram sticks and poo poo but the dude mail ordered some extra ram for something that was probably a logic board issue anyway.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Maybe he needed the ram either way.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What are the specs for the camera on the 11inch Air? I can't find the details anywhere.

640 x 480

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I'm getting very close to replacing my old 15" MBP with a refurbished model from February of this year and I'm thinking about grabbing an SSD for it as well. I've heard that occasionally you get refurbished products that come with better parts than advertised like 7200 rpm HD's or more RAM or something- how often does this happen/if at all?

As far as SSD's go, are there any specific ones I should be looking at or am I good to go with this (first thing that came up on newegg)?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Crucial m4 is what you want. It is their newest version of that SSD.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

BlackMK4 posted:

Hmm... refurb 13" MBP or Lenovo X220 with SSD, IPS screen, and 9cell battery. :emo:

Have you looked at the X220 screen? I had a X200 and the screen was...horrible. It wasn't IPS but it had a viewing angle of 2 degrees at most.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

X220, I think you can even add a little mSATA SSD if you so desired. The 13" has horsepower, yeah, but that screen...goddammit Apple.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

fleshweasel posted:

I understand doing the basics, trying different slots and combinations of ram sticks and poo poo but the dude mail ordered some extra ram for something that was probably a logic board issue anyway.

Sorry dude, yeah I'm in the middle of working on two film trailers (one was due Thursday night) and a commercial, the Mac Pro is heavy as gently caress and I don't have a car so trying to finagle a ride is a big PITA. On the plus side, I moved the new 4GB and the old 4GB both to the top DIMM Riser which is good, so now it's reading 8GB RAM which is good enough to keep going.

I also don't have the money for a logic board replacement (MAYBE to replace the DIMM Riser if that's bad but certainly not the whole board) so my options and time are pretty limited.

The current bandaid seems to be holding okay, though, so hopefully once the summer is over and work slows down, then I can take it in for a thorough look. My backup computer is a 15" Powerbook so I really should have a better backup before I take this bad boy down either way.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

movax posted:

X220, I think you can even add a little mSATA SSD if you so desired. The 13" has horsepower, yeah, but that screen...goddammit Apple.

The screen's really not that bad.

until you see a 15" hires screen :shobon:

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now
I already have a very nice briefcase, but I want a thin, protective sleeve for my 13" air for travel. What do you guys think?

http://www.myincipio.com/MacBook-Air-13in-Cases-Accessories/Incipio-MacBook-Air-13in-ORION-Slim-Sleeve-Case.asp

That guy has gotten good reviews, but I haven't seen one in person.

royalejest
Oct 31, 2006

Clapton is God.

bacon! posted:

I already have a very nice briefcase, but I want a thin, protective sleeve for my 13" air for travel. What do you guys think?

http://www.myincipio.com/MacBook-Air-13in-Cases-Accessories/Incipio-MacBook-Air-13in-ORION-Slim-Sleeve-Case.asp

That guy has gotten good reviews, but I haven't seen one in person.

I use this:
http://www.amazon.com/Be-ez-100678-Sleeve-Macbook-Black/dp/B001EJO6T2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1312049172&sr=8-5

I had the 15" version that I used with my MacBook Pro for about a year, and loved it. Really light, and nicely protective for carrying my computer around in a messenger bag.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Go ghetto, use a bubble mailer.

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010
I just purchased a new 15" MBP any recommendations for ram in order to take it up to 16GB? The stock 4 I bought it with is killing me after coming from the 8 on my 2010 13"

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just check out the 13" MBA at the apple store today and ordered it when I got home. It's going to be quite a jump going from my revb macbook :).

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Residency Evil posted:

Just check out the 13" MBA at the apple store today and ordered it when I got home. It's going to be quite a jump going from my revb macbook :).

Being a 11.6 inch 2010 owner who sold off his rev A MBP I can safely say you will love the difference..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I am at an Apple Store and some chick is using her 3GS to take photos of MBA specs being displayed on iPads.

:ughh:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

flyboi posted:

Have you looked at the X220 screen? I had a X200 and the screen was...horrible. It wasn't IPS but it had a viewing angle of 2 degrees at most.
I had an X120E and that screen was horrible, but the IPS you can option into the X220 is supposed to be pretty drat good.

movax posted:

The 13" MBP has a slower CPU than the x220. :( If it wasn't for 1280x800 I would just buy another MBP.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 31, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

kingfet posted:

I just purchased a new 15" MBP any recommendations for ram in order to take it up to 16GB? The stock 4 I bought it with is killing me after coming from the 8 on my 2010 13"
Do you have $1200-1500 to spare on 16GB? I'd probably just go with 8GB and get a big SSD, and either save or buy another computer with the leftover $1000.

Binary Badger posted:

I am at an Apple Store and some chick is using her 3GS to take photos of MBA specs being displayed on iPads.

:ughh:
Quicker than loading up the store over a cellular connection to look at later :v:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
apple store.ipa

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

fleshweasel posted:

apple store.ipa
Only in the U.S., thought.

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!
I can't believe I am even contemplating this, but I guess if there is anyone to ask this type of question, fellow goons would be it: I just bought a 15" MBP 3-4 weeks ago and now apparently Apple has tweaked the keyboard design for Lion. I would much rather have the Launchpad key instead of a Dashboard one. Should I try to see if they will swap mine out for the new design? If so, what would be the best approach? Call them? Make a Genius Bar appointment? Or should I just stop being such a goon and let it go?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

I had an X120E and that screen was horrible, but the IPS you can option into the X220 is supposed to be pretty drat good.

My friend has the X220 with the IPS screen and it's viewing angles are awesome compared to my MBA. I'm not sure how different the viewing angles are between the 13" MBA and MBP. The X220 does not have a bad screen at all. I'd rather get the X220 if you already have a Mac or don't have the itch to go OSX.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Auriak posted:

Or should I just stop being such a goon and let it go?

This.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Auriak posted:

I would much rather have the Launchpad key instead of a Dashboard one. Should I try to see if they will swap mine out for the new design?

Holy poo poo, we've hit a new low here.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

FCKGW posted:

It might just be hair or a bit of particulate under the glass. If you're feeling adventurous you can get a suction cup, tilt the glass out a bit and blow it with a hair drier and see if it comes flying out.

Really, you can just get a fingernail under each of the top corners and pull it forward with no fingerprints. Just blow it out, it's probably cat hair or something.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

Auriak posted:

I can't believe I am even contemplating this, but I guess if there is anyone to ask this type of question, fellow goons would be it: I just bought a 15" MBP 3-4 weeks ago and now apparently Apple has tweaked the keyboard design for Lion. I would much rather have the Launchpad key instead of a Dashboard one. Should I try to see if they will swap mine out for the new design? If so, what would be the best approach? Call them? Make a Genius Bar appointment? Or should I just stop being such a goon and let it go?
You could just remap the key to invoke Launchpad instead of Dashboard in System Preferences > Keyboard. That is reasonable. If you know that and just want the different icon printed on your key... well...

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!

SupahCoolX posted:

You could just remap the key to invoke Launchpad instead of Dashboard in System Preferences > Keyboard. That is reasonable. If you know that and just want the different icon printed on your key... well...

Thanks!

In case anyone else is interested, I did some googling and got this working by setting "Show Launchpad" to F4 in System Preferences, then used an app called FunctionFlip to swap the behavior of the F4 key so that pressing it activates a regular F4 keypress (and thus Launchpad) and Fn+F4 activates the built-in Dashboard function key.

It would be nice if they added a way to reassign this function key's behavior to Launchpad in a future update without having to rely on a third-party app.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Anyone remember Village Tronic? Apparently they're still around, and now asking if people want them to make Thunderbolt stuff:
https://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=89321949134&topic=17768

quote:

Dear Mac Community,

we had a lively discussion here on facebook if there is a large enough market for a Thunderbolt ViDock. I was convinced that there is not. But there have been so many passionate promoters that there will be a large enough Mac Communnity who would want to buy a Thunderbolt ViDock, that I now leave the final decision to you!

Spread the word inside the Mac Community. Make people who want to buy a Thunderbolt ViDock to come here and leave a comment with:

1) Which computer you have ?
2) What do you want to use the Thunderbolt ViDock for ?
3) Do you want 1 slot x4 or two slots x2 ?
4) Any other feature you want?

I promise, if more than 50 people make the comment, we will start the development of a Thunderbolt ViDock.

Guangzhou, July 27, 2011
Hubert Chen
CEO, https://www.villagetronic.com

P.S. For those new to ViDock: It is the technology and price leader for PCIe expansion chassis. It is widely used in all walks of life and profession to connect any PCIe cards to Notebooks, e.g. Sound Cards, Video Editing Cards, 3D Gaming, GPU Computing, Data Acquisition, Medical Imaging, etc ... you can read more:
http://www.villageinstruments.com/tiki-index.php?page=ViDock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So my 3 day old Macbook Pro started doing this. I tried restarting and it would work fine for a couple minutes and completely freeze. Rebooted again and the lightshow happened again. I'm guessing it's the video card? I also tried swapping the hard drive and RAM, no change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmbwYGoINy4

The sound is coming from my TV, not the laptop by the way.