Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I downloaded a Windows 7 iso file from my university through MSDNAA and I have no idea how to burn it with Disk Utilities in order to install it. I right clicked the iso file and selected "Burn…" and then went through Boot Camp and partitioned my hard drive for Windows. Now I'm at the screen where it tells me to insert the Windows installation disk and press the "start installation" button. I press it but it tells me the windows installer was not found.

I've also tried mounting the iso and burning the contents, but I get this screen:

And I don't know what to choose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tried this?
http://lifehacker.com/251758/mac-tip--how-to-burn-an-iso-or-dmg-file-to-disc

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So every once in a while when loading an intensive page in Safari, this happens:

It's not due to bandwidth, normally the site's not something super sized and I shouldn't be DROPPING PACKETS regardless. Any ideas?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can't reproduce the problem on other computers in the network I assume?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

fleshweasel posted:

Can't reproduce the problem on other computers in the network I assume?

Tried, seems it's just me. :\

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

moron posted:

I'm trying to upgrade my Snow Leopard Server to Lion. When I run the installer, it presents me with a message saying 'Waiting for App Store to download Mac OS X Server Add On', but then nothing happens. The App Store doesn't do anything, the download doesn't start, and the installation is stalled.

Has anyone else encountered this? I've done some Googling, but didn't find any answers. I'd really rather avoid installing from scratch, if at all possible.

If it's any consolation you can just "upgrade" to the client version and then install Server later and have it configure itself from a backup. The easiest way of doing this would be from a Time Machine backup, of course, but under 10.6's Server Admin you can have it backup and export all of your relevant server settings to a plist from the File menu. At least I think it's under File – it's been a few months since I've had 10.6 installed – but I'm certain the option exists since that's how I did my setup.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh god no one do what I just did and spam "Duplicate" to make a ton of copies. I did it on a whim only to find that "Quit and Discard Windows" only works for actual saved files and with unsaved copies you have to close each of them, one by one, and choosing "Close All" only brought up the "Do you want to save the changes you made in the document?" dialog on each individual window uuuggghh.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Speaking of Finder foibles:

When is Finder going to be smart enough to realize that when I Cmd-I with a group of files selected I want to act on the files as a group, and I don't want it to bring up 400 Inspector windows.

Is it that hard to do? iTunes asks you if you want to act on your selection as a group if you have more than one file selected. Just duplicate that behaviour :confused:

That whole inspector window needs a huge revamp in terms of functionality, at least in this respect.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Martytoof posted:

Speaking of Finder foibles:

When is Finder going to be smart enough to realize that when I Cmd-I with a group of files selected I want to act on the files as a group, and I don't want it to bring up 400 Inspector windows.

Is it that hard to do? iTunes asks you if you want to act on your selection as a group if you have more than one file selected. Just duplicate that behaviour :confused:

That whole inspector window needs a huge revamp in terms of functionality, at least in this respect.
code:
Control - Command - I
Does a multi inspect window.
code:
Alt - Command - I
Brings up a pallet, changing to what you select.

Those have been around for ages, but yeah, I do agree that it should be an option.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
So, despite all the belly-achin' I've been doing in my spare time about Xcode, this new release (at least, as far as I am aware) installs Git for you! Hooray, no more having to Homebrew that package. Not that it's a big deal, but it's nice to have it installed via an official method.

Also, this natural scrolling has infected my brain. I've had to go and modify my Ubuntu machine to have it as well: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/07/reverse-natural-scrolling-ubuntu-os-lion/

Overall, after getting used to the weirdness, Lion is pretty good. I'm anxiously awaiting 10.7.1 and 10.7.2 for much needed fixes to little(big) things.

unruly fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 31, 2011

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

So every once in a while when loading an intensive page in Safari, this happens:

It's not due to bandwidth, normally the site's not something super sized and I shouldn't be DROPPING PACKETS regardless. Any ideas?

Not that I know what the problem may be, but I find it peculiar that the sequence numbers for the timeouts are over 10 times larger than that of the most recent reply. I am pretty sure they should be contiguous, and unless you're using the -f option (which it doesn't look like you are), ping should wait for a reply before sending the next request.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

unruly posted:

code:
Control - Command - I
Does a multi inspect window.
code:
Alt - Command - I
Brings up a pallet, changing to what you select.

Those have been around for ages, but yeah, I do agree that it should be an option.

Oh whoah, thanks a million. That (first one) should be the default behaviour :stare:

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Martytoof posted:

Oh whoah, thanks a million. That (first one) should be the default behaviour :stare:
I agree, though I do feel like if you have the inspect button on your toolbar, the pallet should be the default. That thing is so handy when paging through a list of logs or other otherwise unidentifiable source code.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Toe Rag posted:

Not that I know what the problem may be, but I find it peculiar that the sequence numbers for the timeouts are over 10 times larger than that of the most recent reply. I am pretty sure they should be contiguous, and unless you're using the -f option (which it doesn't look like you are), ping should wait for a reply before sending the next request.

Well this ping had been running for hours and hours so maybe it had to cycle over the ID? That's a good catch though.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Toe Rag posted:

ICMP sequence numbers are 16bit, they should top out at 65535 anyway. So that one's cycled through a couple of times (subtract 65536 * 2 from it, pretty much lines up), and the error message is reporting total number of icmp packets sent instead of icmp sequence, which is a bug but does mean that the ping output is probably normal.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
So I've been trying the natural scroll movement, and I was really getting the hang of it. I had every intention of making the switch.

...then I turned the Xbox on and thought "why does the menu keep going in the wrong directio– oh". So yeah, natural direction isn't really an option for me until everything is doing it, evidently.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

So I've been trying the natural scroll movement, and I was really getting the hang of it. I had every intention of making the switch.

...then I turned the Xbox on and thought "why does the menu keep going in the wrong directio– oh". So yeah, natural direction isn't really an option for me until everything is doing it, evidently.

This is pretty much why I never intend on using natural scroll.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
By default OSX Lion (and Snow Leopard) disable the built-in firewall. Is it recommended to enable it, and if so is it a pain to maintain as it seems I'll need to grant every program manual permissions?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I found this really handy website on all the new Lion things:

http://mac.finerthingsin.com/

e.g.

http://mac.finerthingsin.com/post/7277323077/lion-allows-resizing-of-windows-from-any-side-or

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Pigbuster posted:

I love it with the trackpad, but I was an original iPad adopter so it seems very natural to me. I don't think I would like it as much if I primarily used a mouse.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Hmm, that seemed to do the trick.

Two more questions:

Why are my signatures so big when I send mail from Mail? I didn't notice it until a friend asked me why I made my font for my signature so big compared to my messages. It doesn't look this way in Mail, but does in Gmail (as shown below). Is it just a problem with Gmail?

Also, my keyboard shortcut (cmd+\) for 1Password in Safari seems to have broken. It still works in Chrome though. How do I bring it back?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Since the latest update seems to have broken Transmission, what other good torrent programs are there for mac?

edit: I downloaded vuze, but it seems a lot more powerful than I need.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 31, 2011

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Xandu posted:

Since the latest update seems to have broken Transmission, what other good torrent programs are there for mac?

edit: I downloaded vuze, but it seems a lot more powerful than I need.

Try uTorrent. It's a small, simple, and easy to use torrent program. I prefer it greatly over Vuze.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
I'll second uTorrent.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
gently caress Fuze. uTorrent is all you need.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Thanks, I'll try it out.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Ziir posted:

Why are my signatures so big when I send mail from Mail? I didn't notice it until a friend asked me why I made my font for my signature so big compared to my messages. It doesn't look this way in Mail, but does in Gmail (as shown below). Is it just a problem with Gmail?

This has happened since at least 10.6. It's annoying, but I'm not sure how to fix it. It's really not that big a deal, though, since I never see it :smug:

quote:

Also, my keyboard shortcut (cmd+\) for 1Password in Safari seems to have broken. It still works in Chrome though. How do I bring it back?
Update 1Password, there was a fix/update for the Safari plugin. If that doesn't immediately work, remove it in the prefs, then re-add it.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

KingEup posted:

I found this really handy website on all the new Lion things:

http://mac.finerthingsin.com/

e.g.

http://mac.finerthingsin.com/post/7277323077/lion-allows-resizing-of-windows-from-any-side-or
Also: If you use the shift or option/alt keys, it changes the behavior. Shift causes the window to grow proportionally in all directions, whereas the alt/option key causes it to resize proportionally only on the axis that you're dragging on (i.e.: left-right, etc).

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Martytoof posted:

The Inspector was the default behavior until 10.2. People complained about the inspect window because it was a different behavior from how Get Info worked in OS 9 and prior.

You can either of these the default behavior.

1. Go to System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Keyboard Shortcuts
2. Go to Application Shortcuts and Add a new shortcut
3. Choose Finder as the Application, type "Show Inspector" or "Get Summary Info" as the Menu item and press Command-I into the shortcut bar. Show Inspector will now be the default behavior for Command-I
4. Optionally add another shortcut for Finder and call it "Get Info" and set Option/Control-Command-I into the shortcut bar. You will have effectively reversed the commands.

Shin-chan fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 31, 2011

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Ziir posted:

In my preferences that checkbox option also says "(Helvetica 12)" for what it's worth. Sure your standard font is correctly set?

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
Apologies if this has come up before but does Mission Control just stop working after a little while for anyone else until a restart? I've tried the dedicated key, clicking the icon on the dock, doing the gesture and designating a corner to it to no avail.

The only thing I can do is click on the separate applications on the dock but that is really cumbersome, especially with multiple windows open and full screen apps.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Xandu posted:

What "latest update"?

I'm running the latest Transmission on Lion just fine......

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to install win7 through the boot camp assistant in Lion on a new 21.5" i5 iMac. My win7 was downloaded as an iso from microsoft and burned to DVD. I can read the DVD and everything on it looks fine. When it comes time for the install disk though, boot camp assistant says that the install disk couldn't be found. The boot camp docs say if you get this error then to make sure you are logged in as administrator.

I'm the only user on this computer and when it asks for my password for admin stuff the password works fine, so I'm pretty sure I am an administrator. Why can't boot camp assistant find the install disk? It's right there in the drive!

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

coldplay chiptunes posted:

What "latest update"?

I'm running the latest Transmission on Lion just fine......

2.3.3 I think it was. I can't download any torrents with it anymore. It just sits there and won't find any peers regardless of the torrent or settings I tried.

I'm quite happy with utorrent now, though.

edit: I'm not the only one with the problem, apparently

https://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11963

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just tried to pull up a well seeded ubuntu torrent and it worked fine for me. Wonder what the difference could be between everyone whose isn't working and everyone whose is.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

unruly posted:

Update 1Password, there was a fix/update for the Safari plugin. If that doesn't immediately work, remove it in the prefs, then re-add it.

Updated 1Password, didn't fix it. Removed the Safari extension and reinstalled it. Still no dice :(.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I leave iTunes on its own full screen these days, but sometimes when I wake my mac mini, it does this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ziir posted:

If you click on the signature field (so you can edit it), can you bring up the font panel (cmd-T) to manually resize it?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sigma posted:

I leave iTunes on its own full screen these days, but sometimes when I wake my mac mini, it does this:

What am I looking at here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

FCKGW posted:

What am I looking at here?
A full screen space with a resizing error at the bottom?