Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Ziir posted:

Updated 1Password, didn't fix it. Removed the Safari extension and reinstalled it. Still no dice :(.

Quit Safari with Command-Option-Q and restart. That worked for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Has anybody been having trouble with Firefox 5.0.1 and Lion? I just reformatted to Lion yesterday, but Firefox randomly freezes on random events and I have to force quit it. For example, if I enter a URL in the address bar, click a link, or if a page loads a downloadable file after 5 seconds.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Sigma posted:

I leave iTunes on its own full screen these days, but sometimes when I wake my mac mini, it does this:

That happens with any full screen app that, for whatever reason, gets resized (Safari will do that too, if you show/hide the status bar). It drives me insane. I hope they fix it soon.

Ziir posted:

Updated 1Password, didn't fix it. Removed the Safari extension and reinstalled it. Still no dice :(.
You can also check out their forms, as with any update, 1Password is usually on the ball, but I've had issues with the Chrome extension before. Their forums are usually pretty helpful in solving 99% of the problems.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Ziir posted:

1Password has become completely useless for me in Lion. Even with the update and new plugins, it doesn't work as fluidly as it did under Snow Leopard.

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002

unruly posted:

code:
Control - Command - I
Does a multi inspect window.
code:
Alt - Command - I
Brings up a pallet, changing to what you select.

Those have been around for ages, but yeah, I do agree that it should be an option.

Did you ever know that you're my hero? And everything I would like to be?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Xandu posted:

Since the latest update seems to have broken Transmission, what other good torrent programs are there for mac?

edit: I downloaded vuze, but it seems a lot more powerful than I need.

Transmission works fine for me on Lion, have had no troubles yet at all.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Hello Spaceman posted:

1Password has become completely useless for me in Lion. Even with the update and new plugins, it doesn't work as fluidly as it did under Snow Leopard.

I had to update the Safari Plugin, but it works fine.

I will admit, I am not use to the bigger popup style 1Password extension in Safari, but I do appreciate that on the first click it lists all of my logins for a site, instead of having to go into a sub menu and view them all. I have multiple G-mail accounts, and for some reason the default was never the one I wanted.

Anyway... has anybody solved the mystery behind HTML E-mail signatures in Mail? In Snow Leopard it involved making an HTML page, saving it as a web archive in Safari, creating a default signature in Mail, then replacing that signature file with the web archive. It basically allowed you to put an image in a signature in mail, but have the image load from a website instead of attaching the image to every single e-mail. In Snow Leopard, I can't find where that signature file is saved in order to replace it.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

So I'm at my parents and thinking about upgrading mom's powerbook Macbook pro to Lion. But... is it really "worth it" in terms of usability? Does it make things easier to navigate, or has the user interface interaction become more intuitive?

I know not that much has changed, but I don't want to confront her with an upgrade that makes things harder for her than they already were. I don't think she's already familiar with stuff like Expose. The mail app looks nicer, from what I've seen, and that is what she mostly uses.

mike12345 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 31, 2011

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

mike12345 posted:

So I'm at my parents and thinking about upgrading mom's powerbook to Lion. But... is it really "worth it" in terms of usability? Does it make things easier to navigate, or has the user interface interaction become more intuitive?

I know not that much has changed, but I don't want to confront her with an upgrade that makes things harder for her than they already were. I don't think she's already familiar with stuff like Expose. The mail app looks nicer, from what I've seen, and that is what she mostly uses.

Did you mean MacBook rather than PowerBook? Because if it's really the latter, Lion usability is kind of a moot point. :v:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Cyne posted:

Did you mean MacBook rather than PowerBook? Because if it's really the latter, Lion usability is kind of a moot point. :v:

Oops yeah, MacBook it is. (I've set up a Powerbook in the last two weeks, but that is a different story. *9.2 4 lyfe*)

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Sigma posted:

I leave iTunes on its own full screen these days, but sometimes when I wake my mac mini, it does this:

Mine was doing that. I think I upgraded before I upgraded to Lion.
I ended up downloading iTunes from the apple site http://www.apple.com/itunes/ and after running the installer I haven't seen it again since.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ziir posted:

I downloaded a Windows 7 iso file from my university through MSDNAA and I have no idea how to burn it with Disk Utilities in order to install it. I right clicked the iso file and selected "Burn…" and then went through Boot Camp and partitioned my hard drive for Windows. Now I'm at the screen where it tells me to insert the Windows installation disk and press the "start installation" button. I press it but it tells me the windows installer was not found.

I had the same problem with an iso from the MS store and got around it by using the provided DVD/USB creator from MS to burn the image from a Win7 computer. Apparently just burning the image doesn't create the right kind of install disk; that app must do something to it as well.

This is not helpful at all if you don't have a windows computer handy to burn that disk.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Nice bugfix I've noticed after upgrading to Lion:

The backlight controls on Apple's external aluminum keyboards now actually work when you also have a secondary display hooked up (they control the built-in display, of course). With Snow Leopard on my MBP they would only work when there was no external display connected, otherwise you had to use the keys on the built-in keyboard or use the displays prefpane.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

japtor posted:

If you click on the signature field (so you can edit it), can you bring up the font panel (cmd-T) to manually resize it?

It shows that my signature is the default (Helvetica 12) as the same font/size in a new mail window :(

CAT ON THE COUCH!!
Mar 30, 2009

Hark!! Yonder goon hast defamed a lady!! Fear not, CoTC to the rescue!!

lol ponytar
I'm getting some weird graphical errors after updating to Lion on my last-gen Mini, but strangely they don't show up on my last-gen Macbook Pro. The errors ONLY show up when using a browser, but weirdly it appears in Safari, Chrome, and Firefox. The erros never escape the bounds of the browser window (bleed into the desktop, taskbar, etc).

i've replaced the RAM in my Mini with some older RAM I had on the shelf; no help. I've completely re-installed Chrome, and it didn't help at all. It only started after updating to Lion via the App Store.

I looks like a driver issue to me, but I'm not sure how I would confirm that short of wiping and installing 10.6.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Astro7x posted:

I will admit, I am not use to the bigger popup style 1Password extension in Safari, but I do appreciate that on the first click it lists all of my logins for a site, instead of having to go into a sub menu and view them all. I have multiple G-mail accounts, and for some reason the default was never the one I wanted.

Their new UI (which they started using when they made the Chrome plugin) isn't nearly as reliable as the old one in my experience. Whether its filling forms, or saving log-ins, it doesn't seem to work half the time, for no obvious reason. I have no idea why the decided to overhaul the UI on the plugins, I thought it was great before. Sigh.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

CAT ON THE COUCH!! posted:

I'm getting some weird graphical errors after updating to Lion on my last-gen Mini, but strangely they don't show up on my last-gen Macbook Pro. The errors ONLY show up when using a browser, but weirdly it appears in Safari, Chrome, and Firefox. The erros never escape the bounds of the browser window (bleed into the desktop, taskbar, etc).

i've replaced the RAM in my Mini with some older RAM I had on the shelf; no help. I've completely re-installed Chrome, and it didn't help at all. It only started after updating to Lion via the App Store.

I looks like a driver issue to me, but I'm not sure how I would confirm that short of wiping and installing 10.6.

I'm getting a few graphics corruption issues too, that I'm fairly certain isn't memory (at least if memtest is to be believed).

ANYWAY, does anyone know of a good alternative to expandrive. The reliability has taken a total shitter since I updated to lion with it dropping connections all over the place. Unfortunately I cant wait for them to fix it since I'm losing work all over the place and its pretty critical :(

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

JHVH-1 posted:

Mine was doing that. I think I upgraded before I upgraded to Lion.
I ended up downloading iTunes from the apple site http://www.apple.com/itunes/ and after running the installer I haven't seen it again since.

Spoke too soon. After I was doing some stuff with my other machine and ended up rebooting this one iTunes started up and left that weird space at the bottom again.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

JHVH-1 posted:

Spoke too soon. After I was doing some stuff with my other machine and ended up rebooting this one iTunes started up and left that weird space at the bottom again.

Guys, if you have your dock at the bottom iTunes is leaving space for it. On my system I leave the dock at the left and amazingly there is a left side 'gap' in fullscreen mode. The fullscreen for iTunes doesn't take over the dock area.

I definitely think it is a bug; their detection of 'client area' is taking into account the dock area. A fullscreen app shouldn't do that.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

CAT ON THE COUCH!! posted:

There's a fair few people on the Apple forum talking about artifacting after upgrading to Lion. It has to most certainly be a driver issue if it was working fine in Snow Leopard.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Mikey-San posted:

Not all partition schemes support CoreStorage. Can you post a screenshot of the actual alert the Time Machine pref pane shows you? Also, the output of this:

diskutil list

Sorry, I've been away from my time machine drive for the last several days and haven't been able to catch up with this thread yet.

Here's the error:

And the diskutil list output:

code:
tspurs:~ qutius$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *300.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage                         299.2 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
/dev/disk1
   0:                  Apple_HFS mac os x               *298.9 GB   disk1
/dev/disk2
   0:     Apple_partition_scheme                        *999.5 GB   disk2
   1:        Apple_partition_map                         32.3 KB    disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS My Book                 999.4 GB   disk2s3

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

qutius posted:

And the diskutil list output:

code:
tspurs:~ qutius$ diskutil list
/dev/disk2
   0:     Apple_partition_scheme                        *999.5 GB   disk2
   1:        Apple_partition_map                         32.3 KB    disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS My Book                 999.4 GB   disk2s3

Assuming that is your TM backup drive, it appears to be formatted using the partition scheme for the old PowerPC macs (APM). It needs to be GUID and as far as I know there is no non-destructive method to convert between the two.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

jink posted:

Guys, if you have your dock at the bottom iTunes is leaving space for it. On my system I leave the dock at the left and amazingly there is a left side 'gap' in fullscreen mode. The fullscreen for iTunes doesn't take over the dock area.

I definitely think it is a bug; their detection of 'client area' is taking into account the dock area. A fullscreen app shouldn't do that.

I have the dock on the left and that's not the behavior I'm seeing. Fullscreen mode works properly for me.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

FCKGW posted:

I have the dock on the left and that's not the behavior I'm seeing. Fullscreen mode works properly for me.
When it happens to me, it seems pretty random, and only really with iTunes -- so it may just be that. Though window resizing seems to be a problem regardless of app. MacVIM will exhibit similar behavior if you close enough buffers to remove the tab bar.

It might just be up to the app developer :(

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Oneiros posted:

Assuming that is your TM backup drive, it appears to be formatted using the partition scheme for the old PowerPC macs (APM). It needs to be GUID and as far as I know there is no non-destructive method to convert between the two.

Well that's stupid.

Thanks for the info! I don't have a huge problem blowing things away and starting over but I figured it would be best to at least check.

Cheers!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Ok, I am officially over Safari restoring my tabs. Not because it isn't nice in theory. But because every time I restart Safari, if I had 5 tabs open it will start with 15, my former 5 repeated 3 times.

I'm now spending more time closing excess tabs than I ever did opening new ones.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

duck monster posted:

ANYWAY, does anyone know of a good alternative to expandrive. The reliability has taken a total shitter since I updated to lion with it dropping connections all over the place. Unfortunately I cant wait for them to fix it since I'm losing work all over the place and its pretty critical :(

I haven't used ExpanDrive but I think that Transmit does what you want. It's beautiful and I haven't had any problems since I upgraded to Lion.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Petey posted:

Ok, I am officially over Safari restoring my tabs. Not because it isn't nice in theory. But because every time I restart Safari, if I had 5 tabs open it will start with 15, my former 5 repeated 3 times.

I'm now spending more time closing excess tabs than I ever did opening new ones.

Have you got any session saver extensions installed?

I had the problem you're describing, until I removed my session saver extension. Now it works just fine.
If it's not that then I think you just need to delete the LastSession.plist from ~/Library/Safari.

I hope this works for you.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Hello Spaceman posted:

I had the problem you're describing, until I removed my session saver extension. Now it works just fine.

WELL

yes, it did :)

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn
I just got an email from the guys at dvdfab. Apparently they are coming out with a mac version very soon, as in a few months.

And here I was giving serious consideration to installing windows on my mac just so I could backup my dvd's.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BlueFreshMarlboro posted:

I just got an email from the guys at dvdfab. Apparently they are coming out with a mac version very soon, as in a few months.

And here I was giving serious consideration to installing windows on my mac just so I could backup my dvd's.

1. Handbrake
2. Disk Utility

the DU method is: insert dvd, select it in DU and hit "New Image", choose a name and make sure you're saving at as a CD/DVD master image. Done.

Now Blu-Ray is a different story.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
Safari is buggy as poo poo in Lion. Tabs get gummed up constantly. It's hard to describe, but closed tabs will reappear in a ghost-like fashion, and tab switching is broken sometimes. I also get random crashes every once in a while, which seem related to the tab bugs.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Welp, hello from within the recovery partition, where I am currently sequestered.

My machine has been running fine for the last week, but an hour or so ago it froze up - I mean froze up - while trying to write an email. I had to hard reboot, and since then it reboots and freezes, reboots and freezes. I turned off "resume apps" but yeah, nothing.

This sucks.

e: thank god I didn't wipe my TM volume to start anew as I had been planning to. I may still have to clean install Lion, but at least I can pull my old apps and docs from my Snow Leopard backup.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Does Disk Utility find anything wrong with the drive? Is "safe mode" (boot with shift held down) still around in Lion to test out?

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Didn't Spotlight used to be able to bring up preference panes? That was my favorite way to make quick changes.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.
stupid, pointless question. Launchpad (which no one likes but I'm trying to use a little) correctly sees I have stata installed, and created an icon. But we're now a few restarts (and killall Dock) later, and it still just has the default mac application icon (paper with the cute pencil-paintbrush-ruler A). That's annoying, and it's one of the 5 applications I've installed. So the launchpad has a 20% rate of failing to use the app's actual icon, which I expect to be really annoying once I get around to installing everything else. Anyone else seen this? Not being able to remove icons is bad enough... displaying the wrong ones will even confuse the iOS'ers.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Did you try running the application?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

Didn't Spotlight used to be able to bring up preference panes? That was my favorite way to make quick changes.

Searching for prefpanes still works for me. Have you looked in Spotlight's preferences to see if they are still enabled in the search results?

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Did you try running the application?

unfortunately far more than I'd like to (stata means homework).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
I know Launchpad uses some strange alternate method of displaying app icons (currently it's impossible to change the icon of apps purchased via the app store with tools like Candybar). Maybe look into people troubleshooting that issue?