Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

H2Omelon posted:

Now where's that goonsay smiley?

To be honest, the original IWADs, not counting Final Doom, are a much different beast when it comes to pistol starting. This is partly because they're just easier to a greater or lesser extent (Thy Flesh Consumed definitely being "lesser"), and partly because I know them better. Whatever the reason, I'd feel much more inclined to try finishing them from a pistol start, and in fact just recently did E4M2 on UV this way-- much fun.

The thing is, though, I play the IWADs fairly rarely... well, Ultimate Doom fairly rarely, and Doom 2 almost never, but I won't harp too much on the fact that I can count Doom 2's really pleasing level designs on the fingers of about one and a half hands. So when I talk about how I use quicksave religiously, I'm talking more about the vast array of PWADs I play, which for all they're very pretty and fun, typically have a lot more 'gently caress you, player' moments, on any difficulty level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

JerryLee posted:

To be honest, the original IWADs, not counting Final Doom, are a much different beast when it comes to pistol starting. This is partly because they're just easier to a greater or lesser extent (Thy Flesh Consumed definitely being "lesser"), and partly because I know them better. Whatever the reason, I'd feel much more inclined to try finishing them from a pistol start, and in fact just recently did E4M2 on UV this way-- much fun.

The thing is, though, I play the IWADs fairly rarely... well, Ultimate Doom fairly rarely, and Doom 2 almost never, but I won't harp too much on the fact that I can count Doom 2's really pleasing level designs on the fingers of about one and a half hands. So when I talk about how I use quicksave religiously, I'm talking more about the vast array of PWADs I play, which for all they're very pretty and fun, typically have a lot more 'gently caress you, player' moments, on any difficulty level.

Very true, but nonetheless doable. I earned my UV PS NS wings on Congestion 1024, of all things (though I didn't beat MAP30). Like most games, you get better with practice.

There's no such thing as the fun police, though. If the game is more fun for you saving, carrying over your stuff, etc., then do it.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jblade posted:

I also loved a mod for Half-life called Syndicate Black Ops. It's gameplay is completely broken and you die in about 1 hit from a enemy soldier, but that just made it incredibly fun and challenging when played in co-op. You had a bunch of weapons which also did absurd damage, and you had limited amounts of lives to complete a level in. I like Sven co-op alot but it never feels challenging compared to Black ops. E.Y.E is made by the same people and set in the same universe, and it looks loving awesome as well. I really hope the release date is tommorow like it's been speculated.

There was a great HL mod I had back in the day, pretty much all it did was give you all the Counter Strike weapons and turned health/charger stations into weapon dispensers in singleplayer. hosed if I can remember what it was called, but it was great fun because IIRC the CS weapon raped everything.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

2ndclasscitizen posted:

There was a great HL mod I had back in the day, pretty much all it did was give you all the Counter Strike weapons and turned health/charger stations into weapon dispensers in singleplayer. hosed if I can remember what it was called, but it was great fun because IIRC the CS weapon raped everything.

Counter-Life. It was completely ridiculous because the CS weapons are much more powerful than the normal HL ones, and it basically replaced every ammo or weapon pickup with $100, letting you become an unstoppable god by On A Rail.

I had a lot of fun with that mod, but Rocket Crowbar is still better.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Rocket Crowbar was amazing, but the mod that was really the poo poo was PS07 and it's very lesser known alpha released "Surprise!" mod, which added like 3 functions to every weapon.

You had a jetpack, and just ridiculous weapons, RPG turned into a camera guided nuclear bomb, tau cannon could open vortexes when you charged with right click + left click and set off nukes, there were about 4 different ways to nuke the entire map, AR rifle could launch 10 secondary bombs in about a half second, crossbow had a harpoon mode that could pin people to walls, snarks could spawn the ballsack monster, gargs, and the giant tentacle monsters.

God, so much loving fun with that game on the rats map.

EDIT:

Was Rocket Crowbar the one that let you turn yourself into a turret and see from trip mines with no lasers and you could detonate them?

Man, so much hilarious hijinks with those games.

Loving Life Partner fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 29, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Man, rats. That brings back memories. Rats and zero-gravity killbox.

The more I reminisce about it the more I miss the entertainingly unrealistic weapons and high-speed deathmatch of Half-Life. CS: Source and Battlefield BC2 are all well and good, but sometimes I want to just run around with a wall-penetrating laser cannon and a bucket of exploding alien attack vermin, you know?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Dude, I'm with you. I can't play these new FPS games, they're so plodding and boring. Duck behind a wall, shoot at peoples muzzle flashes, hope for the best, ugh.

The Halflife engine felt so perfect, granted, I knew all the little movement tricks, wall running, bhop et al, but never the less, nothing will ever stack up to flying through the air with a tau shot and switching to my crossbow and putting a bolt right into someones head as I fly over them.

HLDM was my fps salad days. I had every weapon bound to a key around my movement keys and could whip up five dozen different combos to kill people.

Only got the 9mm and some trip mines? Hey set them where you think someone will run and shoot it before it arms.

GOOD TIMES.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Loving Life Partner posted:

Dude, I'm with you. I can't play these new FPS games, they're so plodding and boring. Duck behind a wall, shoot at peoples muzzle flashes, hope for the best, ugh.

The Halflife engine felt so perfect, granted, I knew all the little movement tricks, wall running, bhop et al, but never the less, nothing will ever stack up to flying through the air with a tau shot and switching to my crossbow and putting a bolt right into someones head as I fly over them.

HLDM was my fps salad days. I had every weapon bound to a key around my movement keys and could whip up five dozen different combos to kill people.

Only got the 9mm and some trip mines? Hey set them where you think someone will run and shoot it before it arms.

GOOD TIMES.

Then you go onto a HLDM server these days and its either Brazilians acting like idiots or brain-dead "bots" running around in every server. EVERY server has at least one mod that does something stupid, like make the shotgun fire bubbles. :smith:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

closeted republican posted:

EVERY server has at least one mod that does something stupid, like make the shotgun fire bubbles. :smith:
To be fair this is a problem with every single goldsrc/source game. Good luck ever finding a server for Counter-Srike/Day of Defeat/whatever that doesn't run any mods or make you download something. I think my favourite thing I've seen was this one DoD server that once you connected to it downloaded something that made it so no matter what server you tried to connect to it would auto redirect you and connect to that once server. My friend had to completely wipe his DoD directory in order to play on other servers.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

God drat I remember this. This mod owned.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Despite all the DooM talk around here, there's never much DooM DM talk, so...

A new version of AFTSDM was released today.

http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=29485

It's a Judas Priest inspired DM wad which, quite honestly, kicks rear end.

Since my brutal doom server just took a poo poo on a zpack map that tried to spawn 300+ enemies, I'm hosting AFTSDM @ 184.99.113.88:10666

Come gently caress poo poo up.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.

Convex posted:

Probably a dumb question but would there be any way of making a PWAD that automatically starts a new level with just a pistol? IDCLEV isn't a huge inconvenience but it'd be nice to get it done automatically...

e: grammar

It's also possible to do this in Vanilla Doom II (ie without scripts) by having the player teleport into a small room (preferably pitch black) filled with a bunch of barrels and a Boss Brain. If one of the barrels is placed in the same space as the teleport destination, the player will telefrag the barrel and the chain reaction will cause the other barrels to detonate, killing the Boss Brain. This leaves the player dead, therefore losing his weapons, and the Boss Brain death animation will play for a few seconds before ending the level. This starts the player on the next map with just a pistol and (I believe) 100% health and 0% armor, like IDCLEV would. If I'm not mistaken, Scythe 2 uses this method to reset the player between its five-map "episodes".

There's one other way to do this I'm aware of, which is way less obvious to the player, but will work in Doom 1 as well. A player needs to kill himself with rocket splash damage with enough force to slide his corpse under a low ceiling (less than 56 units, the usual player height - you lose that restriction when you're dead) and over an exit linedef. Again, this can be seen in Scythe 2, in Map25 I think.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

No one is in the AFTSDM server. Noooooo!

Would anyone be up for some Heretic++ tomorrow night?

The Doormat
Dec 20, 2010

:dukedog:

Kazvall posted:

Would anyone be up for some Heretic++ tomorrow night?

Hell yes, nobody ever runs Heretic with that mod, I would love to play with you guys.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

HardDisk posted:

Just wait until you get to the city levels. Or monster condo.

Just played MAP12 through MAP16 :suicide:

At some point, someone played The Factory, or Downtown, and said "yes, this is fun, let's ship it".

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I recently played through the doom rpg phone game. I was wondering is there any sort of Doom mods that add some sort of XP/RPG system to the game?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

UberJumper posted:

I recently played through the doom rpg phone game. I was wondering is there any sort of Doom mods that add some sort of XP/RPG system to the game?

Psychic

In addition to new guns you can use a bunch of rad magic attacks that can dramatically change the way you play. Monsters spew out coins when they die that you can use to buy and upgrade weapons, powers, and unique special items. It is awesome and for a while it was The One Wad I was using to play all megawads. Can't possibly recommend it enough.

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.
I am also a big adept of the pistol start gameplay, and it's great that it works on all "classic" Megawads. It's not easy for sure if you pick Alien Vendetta or Hell Revealed 2, but you can have a quick game playing one of your favorite levels or just picking one at random instead of having to redo the whole thing.

Maps like Map 10 (video included) would be less fun if you already started with all the weapons and max ammo. Which you would, having done 9 maps before that one.

Some "Modern" wads still allow you to start from scratch and do well, like kdizd. Some requires you to play everything in one go/with saves, and sometimes I don't want to redo the first 2-3 maps or something like that. It's clearly something different, having all the maps being doable from a pistol start and a progressively harder campaign isn't easy to balance and keep it interesting.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

tooooooo bad posted:

Psychic

Seconding this. It's heavily inspired by Devil May Cry. Harvest shiny tokens from the enemies you beat up and spend it on upgrades and consumables. Fun stuff.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I am hosting a Heretic++ game, called Goons Heretic++ on doomseeker. If my hosting is laggy someone else can try and do it.

IP address is 192.168.0.118:10666

I'll try and join in a bit, but I need a nap first. I completed act one two days ago, so I'd prefer to start on act 2 when I join.

Come one, come all!

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Kazvall posted:

I am hosting a Heretic++ game, called Goons Heretic++ on doomseeker. If my hosting is laggy someone else can try and do it.

IP address is 192.168.0.118:10666

I'll try and join in a bit, but I need a nap first. I completed act one two days ago, so I'd prefer to start on act 2 when I join.

Come one, come all!

That's your local IP. I also looked, and you're not showing up on the master server. This may be because you didn't check "broadcast to master," or more likely because your ports aren't forwarded/you're not the DMZ, or possibly because your ISP actually blocks the ports (in which case you're SOL).

Here are some threads that deal specifically with hosting in Doomseeker/IDE

http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=172&t=19410
http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=172&t=4975

If all else fails, link me to the pwads you're using and give me your preferred dmflags settings and I'll host it since absolutely nobody is playing AFTSDM on my server.

treat fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 29, 2011

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I fixed my port forwarding. I had it working yesterday, but for another IP, heh. Tell me if you can see my server now.

I am using Heretic++(couldn't find link, off doomseeker) and SVHeretic r45, http://www.freewebs.com/tgrxxx_files/svheretic.htm

dmflag 1610891264

Try 71.235.59.228:10666. That's my actual IP.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 29, 2011

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
The IP's on the server list as <NO RESPONSE>.

What's your dmflags2 set at? I'll toss up a server until you get it figured out, I'm working a double tomorrow anyway.

e; Server's up @ 184.99.113.88:10666

treat fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 29, 2011

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

dmflag2 is 0

Thanks for the help.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
No problem. I struggled with hosting Doomseeker games for a long time only to learn that Cable-One was blocking the necessary ports. It's worked flawlessly since moving to Qwest, so I get a kick out of hosting new/old wads whenever I can.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Well I will be moving this weekend and changing providers. Needless to say I'm not going to put TOO much effort into something when it might change.

So, goons, come play some Heretic in a couple hours. Anyone else free around, say, 8pm est?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Kazvall posted:

Well I will be moving this weekend and changing providers. Needless to say I'm not going to put TOO much effort into something when it might change.

So, goons, come play some Heretic in a couple hours. Anyone else free around, say, 8pm est?

I would def be down for it.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

8pm est is perfect for me.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Late to my own party. Sadness. Going to play Heretic some more tomorrow as well. I am always split between whether I like Doom or Heretic better.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hey guys, check out today's front page article.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's a curious, Mac-only easter egg in Duke3D I learned of today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_ZlAojn_Tw

And here's something silly a guy I know did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ad544E04aU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

Here's a curious, Mac-only easter egg in Duke3D I learned of today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_ZlAojn_Tw

This is magical.

As soon as I saw "type DN1984" I knew exactly what was coming, though was expecting a sprite of the woman walking into the actual theater and chucking something at the screen.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I'm trying to play through Shadow Warrior with SWP, but it keeps crashing at strange times and I can't figure out why. Once it's crashed once, the savegame I was using becomes unuseable and I have to go back to an earlier one in a different slot. It's really confusing me as I seem to remember it worked fine with the shareware version. Can anyone help please?

If it's any use, I'm using the UK CD version, and using the CD music. I know the UK version was censored, but the SW.GRP file seems to work fine, so not sure what the cause could be...

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Would one person like to do a coop run through Quake 1 with me on the hardest difficulty? I think we can use Tunngle for this. Reply with your Steam ID if so! I think I just want to do a 2 man coop, don't remember how many Q1 supports. I swear it has coop but I haven't done it in ages.

p.s. i am really awful

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

How do I fix that skewing effect you get when running GZDoom? If you move the mouse while running, the textures on the walls seem to skew in one direction.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vertigus posted:

How do I fix that skewing effect you get when running GZDoom? If you move the mouse while running, the textures on the walls seem to skew in one direction.

It's a perspective issue that is the nature of the engine, because it technically doesn't draw things in three dimensions. To fix it, enable OpenGL functionality on GZdoom.

Or play pro and turn off Y-axis looking :kamina:

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

It's a perspective issue that is the nature of the engine, because it technically doesn't draw things in three dimensions. To fix it, enable OpenGL functionality on GZdoom.

I know about that, but the thing is that I do have OpenGL on.

And I'm not talking about looking up and down, I'm talking about looking side-to-side. Turning on v-sync fixes it, but then the mouse aiming gets kind of screwed up. The effect won't show up in FRAPS so I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that the game runs at 700+ FPS, but why would it skew things when looking left and right?

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 31, 2011

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Mak0rz posted:

What's so pro about not looking up and down? Doom basically operates on one plane anyway. It just feels nicer being able to swing the camera around naturally...

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Chinook posted:

What's so pro about not looking up and down? Doom basically operates on one plane anyway. It just feels nicer being able to swing the camera around naturally...

You can abuse it to see some enemies that you normally wouldn't, but I don't think that's such a big deal.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Using skulltag, while playing hexen, my first person weapon animations seem to be cut off vertically about a 1/4 into my screen, on the right. It's like the animation is invisible until it crosses that line. WTF causes this? Widescreen resolution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Kazvall posted:

Using skulltag, while playing hexen, my first person weapon animations seem to be cut off vertically about a 1/4 into my screen, on the right. It's like the animation is invisible until it crosses that line. WTF causes this? Widescreen resolution?

The game was made before widescreen monitors, so what you see is literally all there is of the sprite. It's not an issue in Doom because all the weapons are centred.