Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

some texas redneck posted:

Brake rotors worn down to the vanes are so played out :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Geoj posted:

Brake rotors worn down to the vanes are so played out :colbert:

Played out like a big boys version of baseball cards in bicycle spokes?

Imagine the tong sound each time the brake piston came around and struck one of those vanes :gonk:

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I saw a mini van like that at the junkyard recently. I was surprised that it wasn't there for a front end collision with brakes that bad.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

dietcokefiend posted:

Played out like a big boys version of baseball cards in bicycle spokes?

Imagine the tong sound each time the brake piston came around and struck one of those vanes :gonk:

If a brake piston hit the vanes of the worn rotor, you'd have a much bigger problem.

I don't see how this is anything more than extreme venting.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

CaptBubba posted:

How does that only come in for "funny sounding brakes" and not "It take 400ft to stop when I hit the brakes at 30mph"? Did all the rotors look like that? I suppose it is being too assuming to say that he had gotten the tires rotated at any point recently.

If it is anything like around here, people take 400ft to stop from 30mph anyway. Just enough brakes to not glide to a stop.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

How the gently caress does one let their brakes get like this? I mean on the 2nd brake job wont the shop say "time to replace rotors"?
Its obvious they dont do their own work.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 30, 2011

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Nor do they let anyone else. You're being generous with ideas like "shop" and "brake job".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If the car starts and drives, in even the most basic way, it doesn't get serviced or repaired.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

If the car starts and drives, in even the most basic way, it doesn't get serviced or repaired.

Being from Florida, land of no vehicle inspections, it's precisely this. The only time a car like that sees a shop is if it doesn't start or actively runs into something.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
How loose is too loose on a valve guide? The new Valves for my brothers Daewoo came in and all the valve guides feel fine except one is a bit loose. It doesn't seem to rattle around in the guide, but it's loose enough that it will fall right out without any pressure at all.

Should I replace the guide or just say gently caress it? Would it be terribly noise if I did this?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I decided my miata wasn't low enough, so I...

IMAG0056 by Krakkles, on Flickr

DSC_0003.jpg by Krakkles, on Flickr

... let the balljoint snap. Should've checked it when I first heard a clunk, didn't, basically got lucky that it happened in a parking lot.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I just had to top up the oil on my friend's car. Needed 2 litres to bring it up to its regular capacity. Of 3.7 litres. :gonk:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I just had to top up the oil on my friend's car. Needed 2 litres to bring it up to its regular capacity. Of 3.7 litres. :gonk:

Most cars I have seen can run off of 1.5 liters just fine, it's not a good idea as turning and doing anything but idling will get air bubbles up in the bearings.

Heck, when I first changed the oil in my friends truck I thought I had a gallon of oil in my garage, and I only had two quarts. We drove it slowly up the street to Napa and it didn't explode.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ratbert90 posted:

Most cars I have seen can run off of 1.5 liters just fine, it's not a good idea as turning and doing anything but idling will get air bubbles up in the bearings.

Heck, when I first changed the oil in my friends truck I thought I had a gallon of oil in my garage, and I only had two quarts. We drove it slowly up the street to Napa and it didn't explode.
This is in the middle of a 700 mile round trip including cornering at 60+ on country roads. How the oil pressure light hasn't come on I have no idea. And if I hadn't checked it, it wouldn't get checked until then.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

:barf:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
That is the waste system from an RV, right?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

nm posted:

That is the waste system from an RV, right?

I have constant diarrhea in my radiator too.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

destructo posted:

I guess there is not much of a cylinder head left

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

destructo posted:

For some reason I was expecting to see Sockington's name on this one. :v:

Mister 14 inch dick turbo sent more pics for us. :neckbeard:

VW Jetta timing belt.

Some kind of caliper thing.

You put what on your battery?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

some texas redneck posted:

You put what on your battery?

This made me cringe. I worked at AutoZone for a good while and changing people's batteries was 4 out of 5 times loving awful.
- terminals & cables long since corroded away
- batteries with gaping holes leaking acid
- everything you can think of used as a tie down including rocks, childrens toys, speaker wire and my personal favorite a huge loving chain of paper clips.

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.
How the hell is it that this is one of the most common fix 'er uppers? Are the battery brackets wear items on some cars or something?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This made me cringe. I worked at AutoZone for a good while and changing people's batteries was 4 out of 5 times loving awful.
- terminals & cables long since corroded away
- batteries with gaping holes leaking acid
- everything you can think of used as a tie down including rocks, childrens toys, speaker wire and my personal favorite a huge loving chain of paper clips.

You seem like me. I keep mine clean, and when I noticed corrosion I went and got some stuff to clean it up.

Even have 2 wires for my amateur radio just ran between the battery knobs and the wrap around connectors (sorry, I can't remember the names of each) irks me. I wish I knew of a way to make them look like they should go there.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I have constant diarrhea in my radiator too.

me too :(

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

teh jhey posted:

How the hell is it that this is one of the most common fix 'er uppers? Are the battery brackets wear items on some cars or something?

1) Car is old enough that the stock holddown hardware has been dissolved

2) Stock battery size has been discontinued and superseded by a different BCI that doesn't fit properly

3) It's a box of lead plates covered by the hood/bonnet; it's not going anywhere :downs:

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

destructo posted:

That looks like my truck every time the coolant system springs a leak.

Which is about every 6 months.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Bucephalus posted:

3) It's a box of lead plates covered by the hood/bonnet; it's not going anywhere :downs:

As much as I hated the brain dead methods of holding down a battery this mentality always blew me away. With as much aggressive stopping/starting people do it can tip the battery no problem. A fair number of people came into the store complaining over overheating and after a quick look you see a battery with no tie down that tipped and spilled acid all over the fan wiring.

:saddowns:

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

destructo posted:

tubcar.jpg

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

uapyro posted:

You seem like me. I keep mine clean, and when I noticed corrosion I went and got some stuff to clean it up.

Even have 2 wires for my amateur radio just ran between the battery knobs and the wrap around connectors (sorry, I can't remember the names of each) irks me. I wish I knew of a way to make them look like they should go there.

Companies like Scosche make aftermarket terminals that are meant to add a power cable without it making it look like a kludge. The only problem is that they look sort of gaudy, they are gold colored, and have a plastic housing for some reason. I imagine if you went looking at a car stereo store or website, you might find less gaudy solutions.

I just took a look at the scosche website and the terminals are more expensive than I remembered. Still I am pretty sure that a less expensive and less gaudy solution exists for the same reason these exist. Though if you like really clean terminals, these are pretty corrosion proof iirc.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

No pictures but yesterday evening I ran into drove by a guy who had stopped in the left lane of a pretty busy road to put the hood of his Camry inside the trunk.

I thought those were supposed to stay attached to the front end, like on top, right?

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Vanagoon posted:

This was posted on Bitog and I thought I'd share

OH SHI-

From http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2323942#Post2323942

http://www.fra.dot.gov/downloads/safety/Accident_Investigation/2006/hq200648v.pdf

FRA Investigation. tl;dr: a train ran a red light

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

stizu posted:

I imagine if you went looking at a car stereo store or website, you might find less gaudy solutions.

I find this both ironic and highly unlikely.
I don't understand how hard it is to just produce a set of clean looking terminals.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

destructo posted:

Dexcool :argh:

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

"It's actually had diarrhea!"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

teh jhey posted:

I don't know why, but all of my cheap old cars - Nissan 280ZX, Volvo 240 and my Ranger - came to me with the original hold downs long since MIA. I tried to put an aftermarket holddown on the Ranger but it doesn't work so well, so it's pretty much going with Option 3. The Volvo also went with Option 3 and it was only a problem once, when I took a bump too hard and it pulled the positive wire out of the clamp, causing the whole thing to shut off.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

DELETED posted:

"It's actually had diarrhea!"

BTW, if thats the ep I am thinking it is, where the challenge was to make campers or whatever they call it over there, and he built a zen tower deal... one of my favorite episodes.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

trouser chili posted:

Dexcool :argh:

I thought this whole "dexcool contamination" was a myth, akin to the "sun equipment won't handle ethernet autonegotiate properly" myth in IT? (probably based in fact in the stone ages, but not so much anymore)

Oh please school me, masters of AI?

EDIT: Coworker says that looks more like the poo poo that they throw in coolant to try and seal leaks. He's much better with cars than IT, so... Still, school me, AI!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

nitrogen posted:

I thought this whole "dexcool contamination" was a myth, akin to the "sun equipment won't handle ethernet autonegotiate properly" myth in IT? (probably based in fact in the stone ages, but not so much anymore)

Oh please school me, masters of AI?

EDIT: Coworker says that looks more like the poo poo that they throw in coolant to try and seal leaks. He's much better with cars than IT, so... Still, school me, AI!

I don't know if Dexcool is still poo poo, but the original formulation would eat gaskets. GM lost a hefty class action suit a few years ago about that poo poo causing early engine failure.

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004

ijustam posted:

http://www.fra.dot.gov/downloads/safety/Accident_Investigation/2006/hq200648v.pdf

FRA Investigation. tl;dr: a train ran a red light

I wonder why the hell we rely on sight to signal thousands of tons of weight to stop in inclement weather and lighting. Track signals should be relayed to an in cab display with actual signals serving as only a backup for failure.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Blackdawgg posted:

I wonder why the hell we rely on sight to signal thousands of tons of weight to stop in inclement weather and lighting. Track signals should be relayed to an in cab display with actual signals serving as only a backup for failure.
I thought that this happened anyway? If only by dint of someone on the radio asking the driver what the gently caress they think they're doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I find this both ironic and highly unlikely.
I don't understand how hard it is to just produce a set of clean looking terminals.

http://www.amazon.com/Raptor-PBT10N-Negative-Battery-Terminal/dp/B001FE9O48 The cover is removeable. Or, http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Positive-Terminal-Option-Battery/dp/B001F6WV5A/ref=sr_1_133?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1312228303&sr=1-133 ring connector and dual 8 gauge.

For the most part, terminals of this sort are totally gold and have plastic covers for some reason. I seem to recall that when I was into this stuff, 90's, chrome was popular.