Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subtle
Apr 19, 2008
Can't have been the only one waiting for this. Full Attention by Terror Danjah is finally getting a release!-http://hardriverecords.tumblr.com/post/7797480084 Reminds me of the 'rhythm n grime' stuff he used to do..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Zeds Dead at the Mad Decent Block Party in NYC today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9uLcUIi2X8

rumblin' in the jungle

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Anae posted:

Ah man I was there for that. Such a great tune, more melodic than his usual style at the moment and I think the combo works really loving well.

This is my favorite one, probably the worst quality (thanks to bros yelling)- but if you watch (it says this in the comments) Jackmaster at one point is just straight up chillin in the middle of the crowd, not dancing or anything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEi-iWIqSHw

Also, on the Boiler Room birthday, there is probably the best quality of the Jimmy Mack track.

Also, new Butterz zip is up. Four Royal-T instrumentals on it.
http://butterzisthelabel.tumblr.com/post/8231456699/butterz-hardrive-summer-zip-spread-the-word

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!
I just about poo poo myself the first time I heard the Jimmy Mack Remix since that was probably one of my favorite songs growing up. Is this one of those situations where it's just a bootleg and if it ever gets released it'll be maybe a short stack of white labels?

Has anyone heard of Damu? I picked up the record on that link and I'm severely loving Beat of Zen and Mermaid. If y'all have been enjoying Nguzunguzu like I have I wouldn't be surprised if you enjoyed that record too.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

HatchetDown posted:

I just about poo poo myself the first time I heard the Jimmy Mack Remix since that was probably one of my favorite songs growing up. Is this one of those situations where it's just a bootleg and if it ever gets released it'll be maybe a short stack of white labels?

Has anyone heard of Damu? I picked up the record on that link and I'm severely loving Beat of Zen and Mermaid. If y'all have been enjoying Nguzunguzu like I have I wouldn't be surprised if you enjoyed that record too.

And just as a heads up, Damu also has an EP out next week on Blackdown's Keysound Recordings.

My only problem with Damu is I always mistakenly read the name as Domu. Oh Domu why did you have to quit making music! Why didn't you just stick it out for a few more years and maybe you could've ridden the current wave up.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!
Goddamn dude, I might as well have "Wow, thanks for the heads up" on my clipboard at all times. Great stuff.

For those of you who despise Mt. Eden you might find this pretty funny. I did an interview with them a few months back and it's getting edited right now but while I was talking to them, and by the way these guys are incredibly humble and very nice dudes to just be around, but they were talking about remixing things and how some weren't all that difficult to work with. For some reason I decided it was a good idea to say "oh you mean like that Omen 'remix'" and put the air quotes out. That room got soooo quiet. For those who don't know here's what I mean. They took it in stride though and we stuck around and drank at their hotel. They played some new unmastered tunes for me, and though it probably wouldn't excite many in here, they separated themselves from the wobble and it's nice to actually see someone's sound develop.

icarus
Nov 7, 2003

Does anyone else think it's fun to send tweets @RinseFM and hear the dj give you "shoutouts"?

icarus
Nov 7, 2003

I'm trying to find a song I used to hear on sub.fm. It was a female vocalist singing "get me get me hosed up. get me get me high." Anyone know what this is? Or a mix that has it?

edit -- I found it was from Aaliyah - Don't Rock the Boat

icarus fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 19, 2013

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

a milk crime posted:

This is my favorite one, probably the worst quality (thanks to bros yelling)- but if you watch (it says this in the comments) Jackmaster at one point is just straight up chillin in the middle of the crowd, not dancing or anything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEi-iWIqSHw
Huh, guess that answers the "where in the world is Parson?" question

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

icarus posted:

Does anyone else think it's fun to send tweets @RinseFM and hear the dj give you "shoutouts"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJoWo1ncomI

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
lol my favorite Grimey Brek show ever.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
There's alot of new stuff out today you should buy. Like the Phaeleh LP.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

a milk crime posted:

Also, new Butterz zip is up. Four Royal-T instrumentals on it.
http://butterzisthelabel.tumblr.com/post/8231456699/butterz-hardrive-summer-zip-spread-the-word

God drat this .zip is massive. I'm gonna feel a little guilty when I put like 4 of these tunes in my next set but I will do it anyway.

Also, new orleans people, come out to the BASSIK announcement show at the hookah on Aug 5th. I'm gonna be playing and its my birthday as well :).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Maguro posted:

God drat this .zip is massive. I'm gonna feel a little guilty when I put like 4 of these tunes in my next set but I will do it anyway.
You could probably send them an email about it or something, I really don't think they'd mind.

And if you feel like remixing anything, I know they take any and all reworks from anyone, and will officially release them, in the zips I think.

stationlost
Nov 27, 2010
I just did a cheeky remix/edit of a track I was working on with that Notice Now acapella in the zip

http://soundcloud.com/station/trim-notice-now-station-remix

:sax:

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

thepopstalinist posted:

You could probably send them an email about it or something, I really don't think they'd mind.

I'm just gonna play 'em out, not upload them in a set to soundcloud or anything. That's cool about the remixes though.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Has anyone heard of Holy Other? It's about as close to Burial as I've ever heard and it's most popular song only has 50k listens on SoundCloud

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
The new Phaeleh EP is so good, chill vibes.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

parthenocarpy posted:

Has anyone heard of Holy Other? It's about as close to Burial as I've ever heard and it's most popular song only has 50k listens on SoundCloud
Yeah I think they're most often talked about as "Witch House", which I guess... makes sense?

New Duncan Powell's pretty good! Also been listening to the Machinedrum LP and it's got me wondering why it took so long for him and Planet Mu to get together on something. Their sensibilities are hand and glove.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.
Am I alone in thinking that The Others have fallen off since "Africa?"

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

isomerc posted:

Am I alone in thinking that The Others have fallen off since "Africa?"

A long time to fall then, given Africa was one of their first singles. I'd actually agree but me being me, I'd take it one step further. I've never liked The Others so they never even came up in order to fall, as far as I was concerned, there's was one of the first Dubstep singles I actually went,"No I don't like this. I'm not buying it".

Up until then it was a case of just buy everything in site as the scene was small enough crap wasn't really making it past the filter. Actually to rehash old war stories I've told here a thousand times, it was their single on Boka that I passed by. It appeared the same time as this single by Nightwalker(not the D&B artist), which is the one I picked up. A real pick what wire you wanted to cut moment. I stand by my choice, even though Nightwalker was never heard from again and The Others have gotten pretty big. Story of my life really. Oh ignore the lovely video graphics in that yt video.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

A long time to fall then, given Africa was one of their first singles. I'd actually agree but me being me, I'd take it one step further. I've never liked The Others so they never even came up in order to fall, as far as I was concerned, there's was one of the first Dubstep singles I actually went,"No I don't like this. I'm not buying it".

I love the minimal vibe of "Africa." The small percussive samples are what do it for me, I think.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

isomerc posted:

I love the minimal vibe of "Africa." The small percussive samples are what do it for me, I think.

So what've they done (or not done) recently to make them go off the boil for you? My problem with them first time round is they seemed to be the first of like the straight up Skream/Caspa/Rusko copyists, not really bringing either anything new to the plate, or improving the formula they were working in, and judging from the bits and pieces of what I hear from them nowadays, it's sadly pretty similar. I was always surprised Dub Police signed them up as up until then DP was a really strong, quality label and you knew you were only going to pick up class if you bought something with their name on it.

Copying Skream/Caspa/Rusko/Loefah was the thing in 2006. At least then unlike now you didn't really have Youtube (to the extent it is now that is) and back then garage was a strictly 12" only thing so few made it past that fantastic bit of quality control. It's amazing what people won't release if they have to put a grand of their own money on it.

Mind you, with The Others, I could be missing things as obviously I don't follow them too closely, but I do doubt it. If you don't have an initial liking you tend to just kinda ignore them unless they do something that really surprises you.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

So what've they done (or not done) recently to make them go off the boil for you? My problem with them first time round is they seemed to be the first of like the straight up Skream/Caspa/Rusko copyists, not really bringing either anything new to the plate, or improving the formula they were working in, and judging from the bits and pieces of what I hear from them nowadays, it's sadly pretty similar. I was always surprised Dub Police signed them up as up until then DP was a really strong, quality label and you knew you were only going to pick up class if you bought something with their name on it.

Copying Skream/Caspa/Rusko/Loefah was the thing in 2006. At least then unlike now you didn't really have Youtube (to the extent it is now that is) and back then garage was a strictly 12" only thing so few made it past that fantastic bit of quality control. It's amazing what people won't release if they have to put a grand of their own money on it.

Mind you, with The Others, I could be missing things as obviously I don't follow them too closely, but I do doubt it. If you don't have an initial liking you tend to just kinda ignore them unless they do something that really surprises you.

Everything they're dropping now seems really "MTV-ish" and corny, which kind of goes against the aesthetic of dubstep. They seem to have lost their identity to the rise of the younger dubstep market.

The Others : Mala / DMZ
Pendulum : Congo Natty

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium
So despite being out a week already I finally got the Roska mix CD. All I can say if you've not picked it up, pick it up right now. Fantastic mix full of fantastic tracks, what more do you want?

Actually slightly relevant to the above conversation regarding me not paying attention to artists if their first couple of works is shite. Redlight. The Roska CD has a couple of his tracks on it and everytime I hear them I'm still amazed that he was once Clipz. I don't understand how you can go from being that poo poo, to actually half decent. I'm struggling to remember the last person to do that. Don't get me wrong I don't think it's as good as what everyone says, but it's not half bad, not half bad at all. A drat sight better than what he was up to before in any case.

Monroe
May 7, 2010
I just opened a contest on SAMart for all of you dubstep composers:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3428880&userid=164377

Please tell your friends!

To contribute, the eerie drop in Feed Me's "Strange Behavior" has me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auFtHzMJ7NI

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Visionist with more prime 808 flexing. Not just for Pearson Sound!

Not sure how I feel about the vox samples, but I love the 808 so much. Ordered the 10" today.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

thepopstalinist posted:

Visionist with more prime 808 flexing. Not just for Pearson Sound!

Not sure how I feel about the vox samples, but I love the 808 so much. Ordered the 10" today.

808 is love. I just downloaded a huge pack of 808 samples.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

isomerc posted:

808 is love. I just downloaded a huge pack of 808 samples.

Goldbaby packs? They're on my list of stuff to buy eventually.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

SUBFRIES posted:

Goldbaby packs? They're on my list of stuff to buy eventually.

It was one of the ArtyTorrent packs. I'm not sure where to buy them lol.

The 808 cowbell is by far one of my favorite samples to date.

El Marrow fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 3, 2011

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I just want to re-iterate how enjoyable the Wheel and Deal comp. is. Really hammers the point home how much I love appropriately used movie samples in dubstep tracks. Largin up N-Type big time on this effort.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Mike_V posted:

I just want to re-iterate how enjoyable the Wheel and Deal comp. is. Really hammers the point home how much I love appropriately used movie samples in dubstep tracks. Largin up N-Type big time on this effort.

Like you said, creatively used movie samples are great and you can trust N-Type not to put absolute poo poo into a set, mixtape, compilation or whatever. But too many of those poorly done jump-up wobbly tunes just follow the same pattern of using a big minute long chunk of movie dialogue as the intro > straight into wobbles. Pretty blah.

In other news, I'm currently typing up the next part of my guide. In between listening to tracks though I've got some pumping UK Garage playing, you know bit of a palet cleanser kind of thing going on. Not a good move on my part, especially when I whack this tune on the turntable, and I end up leaping up from my seat and pretty much ending up like this. Thank Christ no-one can see me. But sign of a great tune I guess. Can you get a guy up and swinging to it at 2pm on a Thursday, with nothing but a cup of tea and a roll and sausage in him? It's what all producers should be aiming for as far as I'm concerned.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium
So out next week on Numbers is their re-issue of DJ Pierre's Mystery Girl. Classic piece of house, with the original on one side and on the flip is an excellent Seiji rework. Numbers doing it again, really one of the best labels out there at the moment if you ask me.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Just copped this. Can't wait for the delivery!

FADECDR001: THE CLAW
18 tracks: unreleased original songs, edits & collaborative songs
by Nguzunguzu, Total Freedom, Kingdom & more.
Limited edition of 300 CDRs w/ artwork by Seychelle OD Allah.

http://shop.fadetomind.net/product/the-claw-cd

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
Apparently an older track but I just heard it on Rinse the other day, Eats Everything - Entrance Song. Nice little vocal sample gives it kind of an airy, house quality and then it reveals a sick bassline.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Not much of a week for releases is it? Very slow compared to last week.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

infinity2005 posted:

It's August, someone told me years and years ago August was the worst time for new releases. No idea why though, wasn't smart enough to ask then. Late summer blues? Back to school slump? Lazy continentals taking their holidays for the whole month?

On the plus side part 5 of the UK Bass guide will drop very, very soon so that should (hopefully) give you something to talk about.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

infinity2005 posted:

If my proverbial weekly shopping cart is anything to go by, only slightly. Planet Mu's got a new Footwork album coming out and by the sound of it, it's their best yet. Not "bass" in the strictest sense, but.

Also found out that Starkey's coming through this month. Gonna go see him, sure enough. I've missed him the last few times he's come over the years and he's dropping by on my birthday. I'm expecting at least an awkward, fawning chat after the set like I had with Pearson Sound, but their music is... much different. I should ask him what the lay of the land is w/r/t Slit Jockey & Butterz.

There's also a Silkie show and a big yearly blowout w/ Caspa, Tunnidge, dBridge, Bok Bok and Kingdom but I will have literally no one to go see it with :( I'm also kinda sore about the fact that out here Skrillex or Doctor P or even a local wobble schlockmeister will play to sold out crowds and the best Pearson Sound can manage is a half-full floor. Zed Bias and Moldy had half of that. I hate it. I imagine Starkey might draw a crowd since his sound's a little more American-friendly but I can't really dance if I'm sad.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 6, 2011

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Trim has his Butterz release on the 15th, so there's that to look forward to. Does L-Vis have his LP coming out this month too?

Ben UFO's Rinse mix out in September, also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Trim's also got a single on Planet Mu in a month, with Mark Pritchard instrumentals (otherwise it wouldn't be a Planet Mu release, I guess). Predictably weird.

• Locked thread