Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

kingfet posted:

I just purchased a 2011 15" and am going to list my old MBP 2010 13" on Craigslist.

Can anyone give me a rough price estimate of what I should ask? It still has like six months of applecare left on it, and has been upgraded to 8GB of Ram. It also is completely blemish free and I still have the original box, discs, and manuals.

http://www.mac2sell.net/

The above site has seen its share of criticism from people in this thread, but it's a starting point, at least.

Man, it is taking all the willpower in the world not to buy a Mac mini right now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

illcendiary posted:

http://www.mac2sell.net/

The above site has seen its share of criticism from people in this thread, but it's a starting point, at least.

Man, it is taking all the willpower in the world not to buy a Mac mini right now :(

IMO, the best starting point is SA-Mart, Craigslist, and eBay to see what they actually sell for.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Crush posted:

IMO, the best starting point is SA-Mart, Craigslist, and eBay to see what they actually sell for.

Yeah, people buying and selling right now near you are a better source of data than some website attempting to aggregate price data by country over some unknown time interval in the past.

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010

withak posted:

Yeah, people buying and selling right now near you are a better source of data than some website attempting to aggregate price data by country over some unknown time interval in the past.

Mac2Sell is telling me 820, there are people selling them stock on my local CL with 4GB of ram for 1000, so I will go in at 950 with 8GB trying to do a quick sale.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I was selling a 2.2C2D 13" Macbook Pro, 4GB of ram + 500gb hard drive for $800 shipped just a little while ago. Most people here and on Craigslist were offering around the Mac2Sell price of about $680, but I got full asking price on another forum I frequent - one less traveled by habitual Mac flippers.

So probably start at about $100 above Mac2Sell, and throw it up wherever you can.

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I was selling a 2.2C2D 13" Macbook Pro, 4GB of ram + 500gb hard drive for $800 shipped just a little while ago. Most people here and on Craigslist were offering around the Mac2Sell price of about $680, but I got full asking price on another forum I frequent - one less traveled by habitual Mac flippers.

So probably start at about $100 above Mac2Sell, and throw it up wherever you can.

Dont suppose you want to share that forum? I am actually not a typical mac flipper, I just really need as much ram as I can due to what I do for a living. 8GB to 16GB was worth the price.

My previous (before the 2010) mac lasted me two and a half years.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Unless you play bass it won't be much good to you. I just managed to get lucky somewhere I'm already a member of the community.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

I did, but thanks for your concern! :)

The link I posted was to an amazon reseller where it looks like people are selling old boxed copies of applecare for cheap. The question is whether an "old" code for a macbook/mba will work for a new macbook air or if there's some sort of expiration date, and whether amazon would be better since they're not ebay/paypal.

50 bucks either way isn't going to break me, but if I can save the cash I figure why not.
Amazon would be better, but not necessarily some random reseller on Amazon selling it marked as "used".

eames
May 9, 2009

quote:

Imagine using your thin and light laptop PC during the day on the job, at school, or at the local café then arriving home, or dorm room, plugging it into your ViDock and firing up your latest PC game on a large format monitor. Just plug in one cable into your laptop PC and you instantly have a powerful 3D workstation with a big display, a big keyboard and your pointing device of choice. You are ready for gaming, video transcoding, photoshop, 3D design, watching full 1080p HD movies, and more!

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/01/external-thunderbolt-pci-expansion-chassis-and-hub-in-development/

This could be amazing, external graphics cards for notebooks are inching closer thanks to Thunderbolt.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Mac2Sell recommended $300 less than what I sold mine for (2009 13" MBP). I checked ebay and our local craigslist and the prices were much higher. The lowest offer I got was only $100 less than my asking price, or $200 more than Mac2Sell's price.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I will preface this by saying that I am not a mac person. I own an iphone and kind of hate it and before the start of this year, I'd last touched a mac in maybe 2003.

My new girlfriend is a mac user. She has a mid-2010 Macbook Pro 15" and it's shiny and nice and easy to use, but she's not a computer person at all and keeps asking me how to do stuff, so I have 3 questions.

First, where do I learn to use OSX? I'm very familiar with Windows PCs and somewhat familiar with various Linuxes, but I'm a total mac newbie. I don't need a handholding step by step guide, but something to teach me the basics would be a good idea, I reckon.

Second, after some research, I decided that I could just buy a minidisplayport > HDMI cable and attach her laptop to her TV. It worked, BUT at first there was no sound (using VLC Player). I tried Quicktime, which worked, and then VLC Player worked. She's happy, I'm happy, but I need to know what "fixed" VLC Player in case it happens again.

Thirdly, she got a weird crackling noise from her speakers when trying to open an XML file associated with blogger.com. It opens fine on my XP machine and my Win7 machine, but not on her Macbook. She was freaking out thinking the loving thing had broken / was breaking, and even though the problem hasn't repeated (although I replicated it twice after reboots using that same file), I'd like to reassure her that her laptop's not hosed. Any good troubleshooting guides or steps I could check out?

Edit: Is there any way to buy a magic trackpad or equivalent that will work with full functionality with Windows 7? I love that loving trackpad and would happily replace my Logitech G5 with it except for gaming purposes.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 1, 2011

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010

AlphaDog posted:

I will preface this by saying that I am not a mac person. I own an iphone and kind of hate it and before the start of this year, I'd last touched a mac in maybe 2003.

My new girlfriend is a mac user. She has a mid-2010 Macbook Pro 15" and it's shiny and nice and easy to use, but she's not a computer person at all and keeps asking me how to do stuff, so I have 3 questions.

First, where do I learn to use OSX? I'm very familiar with Windows PCs and somewhat familiar with various Linuxes, but I'm a total mac newbie. I don't need a handholding step by step guide, but something to teach me the basics would be a good idea, I reckon.

Second, after some research, I decided that I could just buy a minidisplayport > HDMI cable and attach her laptop to her TV. It worked, BUT at first there was no sound (using VLC Player). I tried Quicktime, which worked, and then VLC Player worked. She's happy, I'm happy, but I need to know what "fixed" VLC Player in case it happens again.

Thirdly, she got a weird crackling noise from her speakers when trying to open an XML file associated with blogger.com. It opens fine on my XP machine and my Win7 machine, but not on her Macbook. She was freaking out thinking the loving thing had broken / was breaking, and even though the problem hasn't repeated (although I replicated it twice after reboots using that same file), I'd like to reassure her that her laptop's not hosed. Any good troubleshooting guides or steps I could check out?

Edit: Is there any way to buy a magic trackpad or equivalent that will work with full functionality with Windows 7? I love that loving trackpad and would happily replace my Logitech G5 with it except for gaming purposes.

You might find better answers to a lot of your questions in the software thread. As those all look software related.

As far as I know, no there is nothing exactly like the magic trackpad for windows. OSX has the gestures baked in, I believe Windows 8 may have some sort of implementation but I wouldnt hold my breath on it being overly useful.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AlphaDog posted:

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

eames posted:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/01/external-thunderbolt-pci-expansion-chassis-and-hub-in-development/

This could be amazing, external graphics cards for notebooks are inching closer thanks to Thunderbolt.
Oh man. I would buy that in a heartbeat.
(Provided it wouldn't cost more than just building a gaming pc)

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010
Would this memory be ok to throw in my 2011 MBP? http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0363850

Anyone ever try that brand and have any opinions?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ah, thanks guys, didn't realise there was a software thread, my eyes kind of skip over "mac" automatically since I never really use them.

That sucks about the trackpad. It's the one thing I'd really like to have (I won't rant, but not writing Windows drivers for hardware you'd have to buy anyway just seems very petty. I just want the scroll/click/zoom/drag functionality and the nice feeling surface).

Edit: I'm not trying to start an OS war or rag out on apple or anything, I'm just always disappointed when cool hardware doesn't work on my current platform.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 1, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

AlphaDog posted:

Ah, thanks guys, didn't realise there was a software thread, my eyes kind of skip over "mac" automatically since I never really use them.

That sucks about the trackpad. It's the one thing I'd really like to have (I won't rant, but not writing Windows drivers for hardware you'd have to buy anyway just seems very petty. I just want the scroll/click/zoom/drag functionality and the nice feeling surface).

QuickTime likely installed some components that VLC may have needed to split/decode files properly, but AFAIK, VLC is designed to be pure 100% standalone and not depend on external filters if it can help it.

And yeah, the trackpad is pretty :fap:, I love the thing.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

eames posted:

I'm super excited about this for something like an Apogee Symphony64 card instead of video, but I'm super excited about TBolt in general.

Would have been super cool for Apple to build a video card into the Thunderbolt Display, though...

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

Edit: I'm not trying to start an OS war or rag out on apple or anything, I'm just always disappointed when cool hardware doesn't work on my current platform.

There are some kind of windows drivers out there; my magic trackpad works fine if I boot into windows on my iMac. I think it doesn't do any gestures but scrolling though. I think you download from Apple and burn that driver to a CD in the first step when you run the boot camp assistant.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Thunderbolt doesn't offer PCIe x16 though does it? I thought it was just x1. That would kind of limit the video card performance.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

Apple has a sort of "intro to mac" page with some videos showing Mac basics, how some things are different from Windows, etc. http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

SupahCoolX posted:

Apple has a sort of "intro to mac" page with some videos showing Mac basics, how some things are different from Windows, etc. http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

Oh, hey, thanks! That looks pretty basic, but might be worth my while (I can do stuff with the macbook, like figure out network sharing and stuff, I just don't understand it like I understand Windows or Linux. I need to spend a couple of weeks acquainting myself with it, I reckon, but the barrier to entry's a bit high for me).

On the trackpad thing, Lots of people have them working with windows, to the extent that they can control the mouse and click, but that seems to be about it. I found a thing that will do what I want, but it's from Japan and doesn't have any English docs. Guess I'll wait until Logitech or whoever start building cheapy ones.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Now that I'm back from my 10 day vacation: someone give me a reason not to stop at an Apple Store on the way into work and buy a new 13" Air. :ohdear:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Now that I'm back from my 10 day vacation: someone give me a reason not to stop at an Apple Store on the way into work and buy a new 13" Air. :ohdear:

Because we will hate you for being able to afford a 10 day vacation and a 13" Air. :(

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Can't think of one.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

So the general consensus is...
If getting an 11" Air, get it with the upgraded processor and 4GB of RAM because who the gently caress would get a laptop with 2GB nowadays
and
If getting a 13" Air, the base model is fine?

My old Dell D430 tiny laptop is on its way out, time to look for a new laptop and these look like they'll fit the bill nicely.
I'm not even going to consider getting the 11" with 2GB of RAM as that is dumb.

I'm heavily leaning towards the 13" as the screen resolution is much nicer than the 1366x768 bullshit on the 11".

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Because you'd rather have the 11" as a secondary machine?

Or so goes my thinking. Besides, you already have that giant-rear end iMac screen. :v:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

iPad 2!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I hear the Apple store is surrounded by crocodiles.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I assume this would work, but I have to make sure since it's Apple.

If I have a Mac Pro can I put something like a GTX480 in it or something unsupported by OSX but be fine under bootcamp?

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I assume this would work, but I have to make sure since it's Apple.

If I have a Mac Pro can I put something like a GTX480 in it or something unsupported by OSX but be fine under bootcamp?

Yeah, Windows shouldn't have any trouble. You could potentially have it working under OSX through some Hackintosh work.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

evensevenone posted:

Thunderbolt doesn't offer PCIe x16 though does it? I thought it was just x1. That would kind of limit the video card performance.

It's x4, Generation 2 (for now) which is effectively 2GB/s bi-directional (500MB/s per lane). To compare, a x16 Gen 2.0 slot delivers 8GB/s, and a x8 Gen 2 delivers 8GB/s.

Now we know that Ivy Bridge will upgrade the CPU PCIe controller to the 3.0 standard. Assuming it can be broken into x8/x4/x4 or something, and the TB controller gets updated and copper can handle the increased speed, you'd see a theoretical 4GB/s in each direction, equivalent to a Gen 1 x16 slot.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Space Racist posted:

Because you'd rather have the 11" as a secondary machine?

Or so goes my thinking. Besides, you already have that giant-rear end iMac screen. :v:
The 11" is too small for my workflow, and I don't really need the extra portability that it affords. I just got to work with my 13" i7 Air. :w00t:

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

movax posted:

It's x4, Generation 2 (for now) which is effectively 2GB/s bi-directional (500MB/s per lane). To compare, a x16 Gen 2.0 slot delivers 8GB/s, and a x8 Gen 2 delivers 8GB/s.

Now we know that Ivy Bridge will upgrade the CPU PCIe controller to the 3.0 standard. Assuming it can be broken into x8/x4/x4 or something, and the TB controller gets updated and copper can handle the increased speed, you'd see a theoretical 4GB/s in each direction, equivalent to a Gen 1 x16 slot.

Adding this to the debate:
http://hardocp.com/article/2010/08/25/gtx_480_sli_pcie_bandwidth_perf_x16x16_vs_x4x4

So if I'm reading this right, which I'm really not sure if I am, x4 should be fine even for high-end cards?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

SpoonsForThought posted:

So if I'm reading this right, which I'm really not sure if I am, x4 should be fine even for high-end cards?

What they proved there was that performance was capping out due to the GPU itself, and not a bottleneck in getting data between the CPU and GPU. This might not always be the case, but those are some fairly interesting results with the cards they tested.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

vas0line posted:

Oh man. I would buy that in a heartbeat.
(Provided it wouldn't cost more than just building a gaming pc)
I posted about it a few days ago :ssh:. I looked into the pricing for their existing ExpressCard stuff, they started at either $200 or $300 and went up another hundred or two for higher end support (like massive video cards that are power hogs). And I'm pretty sure that's an empty box, so add the video card on top of that price, and realize that you're limited to stuff that works with OS X (but could be fine in Windows).

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Would have been super cool for Apple to build a video card into the Thunderbolt Display, though...
I thought of that too then realized it'd be nice...up until it becomes old and then you'd be stuck with it as long as you have the display :v:, barring a way to bypass it or something.

movax posted:

What they proved there was that performance was capping out due to the GPU itself, and not a bottleneck in getting data between the CPU and GPU. This might not always be the case, but those are some fairly interesting results with the cards they tested.
I figure the main thing to take away from that is that you can get something better than the built in graphics. Another nice possibility with external cards is if you want a multi display setup. Stuck with a MBA with only one output? Get an external card that can run more.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Because the nVidia 320M on the 2010 is much better. Of course totally forgetting about the i5/i7 part of the equation.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm actually a bit disappointed with the Air's SSD, to be honest. It's fast, but boot time isn't as fast as the 160GB Intel X-25M G2 was in my 2010 i7 MBP. Maybe it's a Lion thing. Luckily I never restart the system so I shouldn't notice it, and the OS performance is still plenty fast.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
I've read quite a few reports of the 2011 Airs taking longer to boot up than the 2010 Airs. My 13" certainly seemed to boot slower than 'instant.' Most people seem to think it's a Lion thing like you guessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I've noticed it as well, but I get around it by just never shutting my Air down.