Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gregday
May 23, 2003

iCloud.com Web Beta is up. Fantastic interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Doesn't actually work if you sign in with a current .me account lol.

Still looks pretty interesting. Curious to see how they implement the file sharing / iTunes features though.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

gregday posted:

Here's a feature on it complete with screenshots: http://thisismynext.com/2011/08/01/icloud-beta-live-lucky-random/

Looks very much like MobileMe, which I think everyone expected and isn't a bad thing at all.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
It looks great, but in terms of what it actually offers (mail, contacts, calendar, and document storage), I don't see why I would use it instead of google. They didn't even actually integrate Find my iPhone into it, just put a redirect to me.com

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Xandu posted:

They didn't even actually integrate Find my iPhone into it, just put a redirect to me.com
It's a beta...

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Still looks pretty interesting. Curious to see how they implement the file sharing / iTunes features though.

iTunes implementation and Photo Stream are the only things I can see this bringing that might pull me away from Google. I really wish I wasn't so heavily invested in my @gmail.com address, because it makes it so tough to try any new service.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

coldplay chiptunes posted:

It's a beta...

I'm well aware, I'm just saying that I can't see any reason to use it unless they end up adding a lot more to it.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
You made a direct comment about them just putting a redirect to me.com, as if you thought that that's what the final product would be like. Obviously it's just a proof of concept and they're working on reforming everything to fit with the new site. (Mail also redirects to me.com at the moment)

gregday
May 23, 2003

Mail isn't redirecting for me. It's a new interface and it's still on icloud.com

Apple is rolling this out slowly so not everything may be there for everybody.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Ahh, well I was attempting to view it using a non-me account, so that makes sense.

As it currently stands I'm redirected to http://me.com/move (which doesn't exist) when trying to log in using my MobileMe account.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

While I'm not excited about the icloud web bit, you can now redownload purchased tv shows from itunes. :rock:

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

maduin posted:

iTunes implementation and Photo Stream are the only things I can see this bringing that might pull me away from Google. I really wish I wasn't so heavily invested in my @gmail.com address, because it makes it so tough to try any new service.
Not sure why you're conflicted, just use your Gmail address as your iTunes ID?

e: When I try logging i with my iTunes account, it says Lion isn't detected; my MobileMe credentials work, but I'm still reliant on my iDisk and I don't know how migration will affect that.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 2, 2011

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Oneiros posted:

Searching for prefpanes still works for me. Have you looked in Spotlight's preferences to see if they are still enabled in the search results?

Hm. It's enabled in the result and I went ahead and rebuilt my index, no dice. If I disable everything except prefpanes I get the expected result for a splitttt second but then a bunch of Developer documentation (from /opt) for some reason.

e: If I search for "prefpane" I get five results from System Preferences-- Perian, GlimmerBlocker, Xsan, Processor, and Secrets, all add-ons. Very curious!

ee: If I type "keyboard" into Spotlight and then enter mdimport /System/Library/PreferencePanes into Terminal, I see the expected results when I click back up to the Spotlight. Once I retype it, though, it's gone. Hm!

YO MAMA HEAD fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 2, 2011

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I don't see iCloud being a viable use for my music needs considering I can't stream from a web interface or even an installed copy of iTunes on a work computer, for example.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

gregday posted:

Tried to log in at work and it says I have to be on OSX Lion or iOS 5. Cool website.

EDIT: Also hurrr mac genius name badge looking login page.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

maduin posted:

I'll probably keep using Google for mail (particularly cause I have my own domain account), but will move calendars and contacts over, and of course anything else that uses it for storage like iWork.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

JHVH-1 posted:

Tried to log in at work and it says I have to be on OSX Lion or iOS 5. Cool website.

EDIT: Also hurrr mac genius name badge looking login page.

Hahaha what is this post? It's a beta and allows only limited access right now, which is why I posted the this is my next link with images of the website.

japtor posted:

I'll probably keep using Google for mail (particularly cause I have my own domain account), but will move calendars and contacts over, and of course anything else that uses it for storage like iWork.

This is probably what I'll end up doing as well, though it'll depend on how well this actually works once it's up and running completely.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there any reason that this "Keyboard and Characters viewer" icon would spontaneously appear in my menu bar?

edit: when I unchecked the box to display it, a US flag popped up in its place for language & text preferences. wtf?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

japtor posted:

This is what I've done ever since I signed up for .Mac many moons ago. Apple handles my calendar and contacts syncing between my Macs and iPhone, while Gmail handles email.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Corbet posted:

I don't see iCloud being a viable use for my music needs considering I can't stream from a web interface or even an installed copy of iTunes on a work computer, for example.

To be fair, none of the details of the "iTunes Match" Service have been released so we don't know how this will work at all.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

iTunes updates are generally announced at Apple's September event. I wouldn't be shocked if the next version allows you to stream your music. Apple clearly showed today with both TV shows and the web apps that there are components of iCloud beyond what was mentioned at WWDC.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

fleshweasel posted:

Is there any reason that this "Keyboard and Characters viewer" icon would spontaneously appear in my menu bar?

edit: when I unchecked the box to display it, a US flag popped up in its place for language & text preferences. wtf?
Yeah, I dunno how it happened, but that happened to me not too long ago. I wasn't entering anything special. Hmmm. It doesn't seem to be triggered by the iOS-esque key-hold for more options, either...

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

unruly posted:

Yeah, I dunno how it happened, but that happened to me not too long ago. I wasn't entering anything special. Hmmm. It doesn't seem to be triggered by the iOS-esque key-hold for more options, either...

Check here:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is anyone else using the "dev" build of Google Chrome (14.0+)? They implemented two-finger swipes to go back and forward on pages and it's extremely annoying without the awesome animation used in Safari. I can't even scroll around a large picture without it taking me back a page.

Oh well, that's the price I pay for using early beta software.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Upgraded to Lion on my 2009 Unibody MBP. I love it so far, just a couple quick questions-

- Is there a way to keep natural scrolling on the trackpad, but use normal scrolling on a mouse, without having to go into System Preferences each time? I switch back and forth depending on what I'm doing at the time, and I like the natural scrolling on my trackpad. On the mouse, it's annoying as hell.

-When I open my MBP while the power cord is plugged in, the screen will turn on for a second, then turn off. If I unplug/replug the magsafe cord, it turns back on normally. This has only happened since I installed Lion. anyone else have this same issue and/or a fix?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
There's no way to have different scroll settings between mouse and trackpad, although there are separate options in Sys Prefs for them. Hopefully Apple will allow that behaviour in an update.

In the meantime, you can use USB Overdrive to get what you want on a laptop, but not with a Magic Trackpad.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Can't say I'm a big fan of the 2011 Air's OS X installation method. I wonder if I download Lion through the App Store on the Air if it will grab the custom build for me to make a restore disc with the DMG. Somehow I doubt it will, and I'll just be stuck with the GM build.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

Had the exact same problem on day one. I had to keep unchecking both things (language menubar option and keyboard/character viewer option) but eventually it disappeared. Not right away though, and for a while every time I typed anything on my keyboard the keyboard viewer would pop back up.

Hasn't happened since though, knock on wood.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Hold command or ctrl I forget which, click it and drag it off the menu bar.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Not sure if everyone realizes it, but you can hold down command and drag items off the menu bar like that. No need to hunt around for which checkbox disables it.

Can also use it to re-order the items the way you want. Doesn't work for app created ones though (like dropbox, drobo etc.)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Right, but when I typed anything on my keyboard it would show up in the menubar again :(

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Once I install Lion from the app store, can I pull the image from a cache somewhere to save from having to download it again on other computers? Where does lion from the app store download to?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

vanjalolz posted:

Once I install Lion from the app store, can I pull the image from a cache somewhere to save from having to download it again on other computers? Where does lion from the app store download to?
Yes, there is a DMG inside the downloaded app. It's downloaded to /Applications.

mwarkentin
Oct 26, 2004
Make sure you grab it before running the installer.. it deletes itself when it's finished.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Thought so, definitely too late for me then.

So whats the deal with the new smb implementation in OSX Lion? Apparently its called SMBX? Anyone noticed any differences? I'm having trouble mounting a solaris samba share now and I'm not sure if its related to the new smb client.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

vanjalolz posted:

Thought so, definitely too late for me then.
You can redownload the package. I think you click the 'Installed' button while holding Option/Alt... someone in this thread already posted the instructions.

Doing that will let you redownload the app and extract the DMG file.

quote:

So whats the deal with the new smb implementation in OSX Lion? Apparently its called SMBX? Anyone noticed any differences? I'm having trouble mounting a solaris samba share now and I'm not sure if its related to the new smb client.
if they're still using SMB Protocol 1, then good luck; have fun. The new SMB client only talks SMB2, much to many people's dismay when using an old, un-patched NAS.

Windows 7, 2008 (and Vista?) all try and talk on SMB2, but will default back to 1 -- Samba clients used to only talk SMB1. I think since 3.x (and GPLv3) Samba talks SMB2 by default.

unruly fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 2, 2011

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Just FYI, you can use macports and install Samba3 and get smb1 back. You have to configure it manually though through the smb.conf file.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Don Lapre posted:

Just FYI, you can use macports and install Samba3 and get smb1 back. You have to configure it manually though through the smb.conf file.
Yeah, I would only do this if you need SMB1 support. SMB2 is such a huge improvement on the protocol that it's silly to not use it when you can.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

My comments on Lion:
I've seen some weird graphical glitches as previously described but only in Finder.

I've experienced one hard lock where only the cursor would respond.

It's all anecdotal but there's something oddly comforting in knowing your problems aren't unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002

mike12345 posted:

So I'm at my parents and thinking about upgrading mom's powerbook Macbook pro to Lion. But... is it really "worth it" in terms of usability? Does it make things easier to navigate, or has the user interface interaction become more intuitive?

I know not that much has changed, but I don't want to confront her with an upgrade that makes things harder for her than they already were. I don't think she's already familiar with stuff like Expose. The mail app looks nicer, from what I've seen, and that is what she mostly uses.

For parents and other non-technical friends that I would have to support, I have a "don't fix what isn't broken" policy. If they have no complaints, then don't change anything. Additionally Lion is badly in need of some bug fixes. If you decide that you want to upgrade, don't do it until 10.7.1 is out.