Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alo
May 1, 2005

I have this Samba problem too (I'm using a Solaris machine to serve shares as well). If you mount your share on a Lion machine and Finder doesn't work, try browsing /Volumes/sharename/ in Terminal. The mounting operation works flawlessly, it's just that Finder isn't working correctly.

Also, I'm pretty sure that mount_smbfs is still just a BSD-derived version. The Samba changes are on the serving side where they've removed Samba 3.x and replaced it with 'SMBX'.

I'm hoping 10.7.3 comes out soon (if 10.7.2 is just "Features").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Thanks guys. mount_smbfs worked so I'm not sure what finder's problem is.

alo
May 1, 2005

vanjalolz posted:

Thanks guys. mount_smbfs worked so I'm not sure what finder's problem is.

You can just use the Finder "Connect to Server..." dialog and the shares will work, you don't have to manually run mount_smbfs, just in case that wasn't clear. You can still use the open command to run things from the Terminal (like open /Volumes/share/file.docx).

Anyone have any info on how to use nfs4 in Lion? I'd prefer to use it, but mount_nfs keeps using version 3 despite using the appropriate flags. Does Lion even have idmapping support? I'm not seeing it in the 10.7 source.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
So: natural scrolling.

One of the things folks have talked about is the fact that if you turn off natural scrolling, it fucks up the natural-ness of the side scrolling. I.E. if you make it so that scrolling down on your trackpad causes the page to move down, scrolling to the right on the trackpad makes the page move to the left.

Does anyone know of a way - from Terminal if needs be - to make it so that you can (in effect) turn off natural scrolling for vertical but keep it for horizontal?

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

I've tried a lot of fixes but I'm still having Spotlight issues. Could it because I replaced my superdrive with an SSD (the OS drive) ? I actually get Applications, which is the main thing I use Spotlight for, but I don't really get results for anything else-- just a few random user files and a ton of PDF Documents. Hm!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

unruly posted:

Windows 7, 2008 (and Vista?) all try and talk on SMB2, but will default back to 1 -- Samba clients used to only talk SMB1. I think since 3.x (and GPLv3) Samba talks SMB2 by default.

My bone-stock XP shares have been working fine with Lion, so I'd assume XP does as well.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

alo posted:

I'm hoping 10.7.3 comes out soon (if 10.7.2 is just "Features").

10.7.1 isn't even out yet. The version of 10.7.2 for developers is basically just for icloud testing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm not at my mac right now, but something baffled me yesterday when I was working on a file in TextEdit. I instinctively saved my work as untitled.txt just so I wouldn't lose anything. After that it wouldn't let me "save as", only save a version and "save". So effectively untilited.txt was the name until I changed it in finder. Is this the intended beaviour? No more "save as" once you give the file an initial name?

gregday
May 23, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I'm not at my mac right now, but something baffled me yesterday when I was working on a file in TextEdit. I instinctively saved my work as untitled.txt just so I wouldn't lose anything. After that it wouldn't let me "save as", only save a version and "save". So effectively untilited.txt was the name until I changed it in finder. Is this the intended beaviour? No more "save as" once you give the file an initial name?

That is correct. Part of the new autosave feature. This is how TextEdit, Preview, and now iWork behave. Expect most well supported apps to be updated to work this way.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Krakkles posted:

My bone-stock XP shares have been working fine with Lion, so I'd assume XP does as well.
Yeah, I did more research on this and it turns out that Lion's "SMBX" actually supports SMB1. Maybe. Kindof.

It's not really clear. :ohdear:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Martytoof posted:

Export is Save As...

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Quick Look does animated .gifs properly now. This changes everything :aaaaa:.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Export is Save As...

Actually isn't "Duplicate" what you want?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Doctor Zero posted:

Export is Save As...

No it ISN'T. Export is not "Save As", it's loving EXPORT. And TextEdit doesn't even have an "Export" function, only "Export as PDF".

Please stop talking out of your rear end.

The equivalent of "Save As" is File > Duplicate followed by File > Save... on the newly-created document.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Sorry I didn't read all 40 pages of this thread, but is there a workaround/fix for the fact that I can't list the contents of a Windows CIFS share in Finder.app after mounting it, but I can from the command line? It gives me a permissions denied error in Finder only.

edit: gently caress, I guess it's even on this page of the thread. I'm still asking, though!

edit2:

alo posted:

You can just use the Finder "Connect to Server..." dialog and the shares will work, you don't have to manually run mount_smbfs, just in case that wasn't clear. You can still use the open command to run things from the Terminal (like open /Volumes/share/file.docx).
The "Connect to Server" dialog actually isn't working for me either.

Mierdaan fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 2, 2011

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Went through the first 5 pages of the thread, and last 2 and don't see this asked/answered.

How can I get back my two finger swipe that lets me move back or forward inside Firefox?

Dr Rotcod
May 20, 2004
I see the consistently reoccurring disappointment and failure you will continue to cause yourselves.
I'm looking for some sort of software that will compare two similar folders with complicated file structures to see what the difference is in the files contained in them.

My situation is that I have a LOT(27 TB) of data on external drives that needs to be compared against the most current project folders on other drives to see if I can delete the data off the external drives. I have so much data that I absolutely must have this process automated else I'll be going through folders for the next year.

I've already tried Chronosync(can't do it) and other duplicate file finding programs but I'm more interested in comparing an entire folder instead of each separate file.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Anybody try installing Bootcamp with Lion yet? I'm curious how you're supposed to mount it in Windows without physical media. I know there are work-arounds to burn it, but I have to think Apple has figured out a smooth way. Can you see the recovery partition in Windows?

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Alfalfa posted:

Went through the first 5 pages of the thread, and last 2 and don't see this asked/answered.

How can I get back my two finger swipe that lets me move back or forward inside Firefox?

Are you talking about Magic Mouse? It should be an option in Mouse preferences. "More Gestures" -> "Swipe between pages"

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This is trippy: I just opened up TextEdit for the first time in Lion, and it brought up the last unsaved document I was working on pre-Lion, with an Untitled title bar. If I try to close it, it says my changes will be lost. Where did it even get that doc from???

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.

fleshweasel posted:

Is there any reason that this "Keyboard and Characters viewer" icon would spontaneously appear in my menu bar?

edit: when I unchecked the box to display it, a US flag popped up in its place for language & text preferences. wtf?

Have you held down a key to use special characters? č, for instance? the first time I did it, I got the menu item. Haven't gotten it since.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Accipiter posted:

No it ISN'T. Export is not "Save As", it's loving EXPORT. And TextEdit doesn't even have an "Export" function, only "Export as PDF".

Please stop talking out of your rear end.

The equivalent of "Save As" is File > Duplicate followed by File > Save... on the newly-created document.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Well that's retarded. Why would they make it different in in different programs? So much for Apple standardization.

(In my defense, Export works as a Save As in Preview just dandy - I assumed it would work the same across other programs)

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Dr Rotcod posted:

I'm looking for some sort of software that will compare two similar folders with complicated file structures to see what the difference is in the files contained in them.

My situation is that I have a LOT(27 TB) of data on external drives that needs to be compared against the most current project folders on other drives to see if I can delete the data off the external drives. I have so much data that I absolutely must have this process automated else I'll be going through folders for the next year.

I've already tried Chronosync(can't do it) and other duplicate file finding programs but I'm more interested in comparing an entire folder instead of each separate file.

You'll likely need to write a shell script. Can you elaborate on your exact desired workflow?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Well that's retarded. Why would they make it different in in different programs? So much for Apple standardization.

(In my defense, Export works as a Save As in Preview just dandy - I assumed it would work the same across other programs)

It is different if the program supports autosave and versioning. Older programs don't support it and thus don't have those menus.

Radnor
Dec 11, 2002

Octoparrot is watching you.

ephori posted:

Anybody try installing Bootcamp with Lion yet? I'm curious how you're supposed to mount it in Windows without physical media. I know there are work-arounds to burn it, but I have to think Apple has figured out a smooth way. Can you see the recovery partition in Windows?

I did and it was easy. Boot Camp Assistant had me burn a Windows driver CD, then it made a partition and installed Windows 7 on it. Painless!

The Lion drive shows up in Windows but I cannot see any recovery partition.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

JHVH-1 posted:

Not sure if everyone realizes it, but you can hold down command and drag items off the menu bar like that. No need to hunt around for which checkbox disables it.

Can also use it to re-order the items the way you want. Doesn't work for app created ones though (like dropbox, drobo etc.)

This is wonderful... I never knew this and I've been using a Mac for 5 years.

Dr Rotcod
May 20, 2004
I see the consistently reoccurring disappointment and failure you will continue to cause yourselves.

Lazyhound posted:

You'll likely need to write a shell script. Can you elaborate on your exact desired workflow?

I'm using DiskTracker to go through 25 G-Safe drives to find all instances of a certain "project" or folder structure. I will then declare the latest and most elaborate version of that "project" as the "master project". I'd like to then match all of the similar duplicate folder structures against the "master project" to see if I'm safe to delete older versions of that structure.

I happened upon an application called Compare Folders that does this exactly but it seems to be glitchy. If you check out this screenshot you'll see that what it's saying are unique files on each drive aren't unique. So I'm looking for a program that's a lot like this one except that it should... work.

http://mustwecreate.com/mike/misc/compare_folders.png

edit: I should say that I would like the software to ignore the folder structure and only look at the actual files to see if they're the same.

Dr Rotcod fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 2, 2011

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

It does work the same in Preview. You can Duplicate, and then "Save a Version" will become "Save…"

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.
In Lion using Safari, Adium, the Twitter app and Spotify, the Web Process process was taking over 1.25 GB of RAM. I wasn't doing anything extravagant, two tabs in Safari. Is this happening to anyone else?

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

The more I think about Duplicate replacing Save As, the more it makes sense to me. If you think about it from the perspective of a new user, if they have a document open and they want to save a new, identical copy of that document, they're going to be thinking something like "Okay, now I need to duplicate this document".

It does suck that it requires one more step than Save As does, but it just seems more logical. And I think Export covers most of the functionality that Save As had -- I actually always thought it was kind of awkward to have both commands in an app. In Pixelmator, for example, I can use Save As to save my image as a PNG, or I can use Export to do the same thing. The only real difference is that the latter has more options -- I say just get rid of Save As and roll the rest of its functionality into Export.

My main gripe is that there's no keyboard shortcut for Duplicate, and no standard shortcut for Export. It'd be really nice if Command + D and Command + E became standard for those. The obvious problem there is that lots of apps use those shortcuts already, but I think it would have worked fine to have developers shift around their shortcuts as they updated their apps for Lion.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I don't have an opinion on duplicate, but a few months before Lion came out, I was talking with someone about what an awkward phrase and function "save as" was. If you didn't know anything about it, the words "save as" don't really tell you what it will do in plain english. It felt like a holdover from the 90s.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

x-virge posted:

It does work the same in Preview. You can Duplicate, and then "Save a Version" will become "Save…"

I think it's more like some apps have an export button that lets you export it in the current format (which is functionally the same as Save As), while others like TextEdit do not.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Does keynote allow me to make interactive slides for a training app I'm putting together for work? I know I can use animations in powerpoint but it just seems clunky as hell. Essentially, I just need keynote to play a short video, display a question and then advance when the user answers correctly. Would also be nice if I could publish to the web or least have it available as a download that doesn't require anything special on the user's machine.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Anyone having problems installing fonts in Lion?

I can install this font (http://www.dafont.com/ferro-rosso.font) in snow leopard fine but under lion I get 'name' structure table not valid or something. It's driving me nuts as there seems to be not much documentation on font validation errors.

Any ideas?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Housh posted:

Anyone having problems installing fonts in Lion?

I can install this font (http://www.dafont.com/ferro-rosso.font) in snow leopard fine but under lion I get 'name' structure table not valid or something. It's driving me nuts as there seems to be not much documentation on font validation errors.

Any ideas?

I just installed that font on Lion right now. It did give me the same validation errors but it still allowed me to install it. Other fonts I've installed have been just fine, this is the first to give me those errors.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
So SMTP is breaking in Apple Mail...for one of my Google Apps accounts...on one of my machines.

Everything else configured identically.

Same password everything. Just not connecting.

Anyone else running in to this?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

smackfu posted:

I think it's more like some apps have an export button that lets you export it in the current format (which is functionally the same as Save As), while others like TextEdit do not.

Yes, that's what I was getting at and failing to make myself understood. :(

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
I found myself getting used to natural scrolling on my iMac running Lion at home. However my work MBP has Snow Leopard and I hated switching back and forth between the different scrolling directions. For anyone in a similar situation, I found a solution: Scroll Reverser

It will basically let you reverse the scrolling in Snow Leopard to match the "natural scrolling" of Lion if you enjoy it. Apparently the developer also offers an AHK download for Windows as well.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

TheState posted:

In Lion using Safari, Adium, the Twitter app and Spotify, the Web Process process was taking over 1.25 GB of RAM. I wasn't doing anything extravagant, two tabs in Safari. Is this happening to anyone else?

Seriously? Can we put questions like this to bed, forever. It is pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Out of curiosity, if you disable versioning, do you get Save and Save as… back? Or do you still have to do the duplicate/export song and dance if you want to save something with a different name or whatever?