Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Scienter posted:

Last Thursday it was delivered and unboxed; arrived in perfect condition. It's been good times since with zero regrets. First Mac and best first impression of any computer purchase I've ever made. Many thanks to this thread for helping me wait for the right model and making the right decision.

We accept payment/rewards in Apple hardware. Go ahead and mail a 13" MBA to me and we'll call it even :downs:

Seriously though, enjoy! What SSD did you get with yours, out of curiosity? (Look at the drive model from System Profile, would be SM256 for a Samsung, IIRC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger
I'm torn between picking up the 13" MBA or waiting to see what Apple does with the MBP.

I'm replacing my primary and only computer, a dying 5 year old ThinkPad T60. The GPU fan is shot and I figured rather than trying to get it replaced, I would just put that money towards a new computer. My girlfriend has been nice enough to let me use her computer in the meantime.

My only concern with the MBA is the lack of upgradeability, but by that same token I've only upgraded my ThinkPad once and that was to bring it to 4GB of RAM.

I've read the reviews around the web and posts on here and they all seem to be glowing.

Help me make a decision SA!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

movax posted:

Seriously though, enjoy! What SSD did you get with yours, out of curiosity? (Look at the drive model from System Profile, would be SM256 for a Samsung, IIRC).

It's been several days since I checked and I'm at work but I believe it's a Toshiba SSD. LG display as well. To be fair I was so dazzled I forgot to check for those two things at first. Was a little disappointed given the buzz at the time (was hoping Samsung/Samsung) but it's pretty easily forgotten. As someone said several pages ago it's still an awesome new Air and it's tough to diminish that.

Way I see it, it still performs well (cold boot in 15 seconds flat, wake from sleep inside 2) and is exactly what i was looking for, I'm a relatively casual user that would normally not notice a bottleneck, and this definitely won't be the last computer I buy.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Boris the Blade posted:

I'm torn between picking up the 13" MBA or waiting to see what Apple does with the MBP.

I'm replacing my primary and only computer, a dying 5 year old ThinkPad T60. The GPU fan is shot and I figured rather than trying to get it replaced, I would just put that money towards a new computer. My girlfriend has been nice enough to let me use her computer in the meantime.

My only concern with the MBA is the lack of upgradeability, but by that same token I've only upgraded my ThinkPad once and that was to bring it to 4GB of RAM.

I've read the reviews around the web and posts on here and they all seem to be glowing.

Didn't see this when I did my other reply. Speaking as someone who just bought a 13" Air and loves it, if you can wait, wait; if you can't, go for it.

If you want to have a gaming Mac laptop though I'd probably wait for the new MBP provided you're good for at least another 6 months of cooling your heels. I'm only a casual Mac gamer due to having a PS3 for home and both iPad and 2010 iPod Touch for on the go, so graphics/games performance was a total non-factor for me. I too never once upgraded any laptop I've owned, so yeah, non-issue.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Scienter posted:

It's been several days since I checked and I'm at work but I believe it's a Toshiba SSD. LG display as well. To be fair I was so dazzled I forgot to check for those two things at first. Was a little disappointed given the buzz at the time (was hoping Samsung/Samsung) but it's pretty easily forgotten.
I ended up with Samsung/Samsung. :slick:

Not that it really matters: the LCDs aren't all that different and the SSD performance delta won't really be apparent in real world use.

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger

Scienter posted:

Didn't see this when I did my other reply. Speaking as someone who just bought a 13" Air and loves it, if you can wait, wait; if you can't, go for it.

If you want to have a gaming Mac laptop though I'd probably wait for the new MBP provided you're good for at least another 6 months of cooling your heels. I'm only a casual Mac gamer due to having a PS3 for home and both iPad and 2010 iPod Touch for on the go, so graphics/games performance was a total non-factor for me. I too never once upgraded any laptop I've owned, so yeah, non-issue.

I have a 360 and a PS3, so gaming isn't a priority at all.

That along with the fact that the rumored Pro refresh won't include Ivy Bridge, the Air is looking more appealing.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.

Boris the Blade posted:

I have a 360 and a PS3, so gaming isn't a priority at all.

That along with the fact that the rumored Pro refresh won't include Ivy Bridge, the Air is looking more appealing.

Well if you want a small discount on a basically new 13" air, 256 gb with samsung SSD and samsung panel, let me know. I'm having a tough time adjusting to the smaller screen and find myself not replacing my old pro with the air. I bought on a whim, and if someone is interested I could part with it in a couple days (assuming I don't ruin my pro when I upgrade the hard drive). I'll likely be taking this one to the SA-mart...

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
You could return it.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.

jfreder posted:

You could return it.

Very good point. I assumed Amazon would charge me a significant restocking fee, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I guess if anyone really wanted to know they were getting the samsung/samsung combination I'd be willing to sell them mine if I hear before I return it, if only because I always get a lot of help from this forum.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Boris the Blade posted:

If you don't care about heavy gaming, aren't doing heavy VM stuff then I would absolutely go for it. The CPU/RAM performance alone is enough to dominate "normal" tasks like web browsing, e-mail, etc for a long time in the future, at least until the next Flash ruins the Internet even more. And is my usual posting style in this thread, the 13" MBP screen blows, the resolution on the MBA is just right for the screen size. If you do want a 15", be sure to get the high-res upgrade.

Slight derail on CPUS: Ever since the Core 2 Duo/dual core A64s, CPUs are really shining in terms of getting poo poo done faster (video encoding, etc.) or pushing games further (looking at you GTA4/Crysis 2), but they haven't really opened any new doors for us (which I'm OK with, because now we're getting more cores/threads and lower power consumption). Even the first Core 2 Duos (E6600) will handle all the MS Office / Firefox /Chrome/etc you can throw at it with decent RAM; I had one all the way up until this January. The dually-ULV i5 in the MBA outperforms the last generation Nehalem 2.66GHz chip handily, which in turn made mincemeat out of the Core 2s, all at 17W or so. Progress! :science:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The i5's are really fast. Plus they turbo boost so 1.6GHz isn't as slow as you'd think.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
So if I'm looking at getting a 15" MBP, they're going to be releasing a new one in about 6 months? I play games a little bit but my job will require that I watch a lot of tv too and so I'll be using it for that. I should probably wait, right?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Daric posted:

I should probably wait, right?
Why would you? The current MBP is plenty fast.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Daric posted:

So if I'm looking at getting a 15" MBP, they're going to be releasing a new one in about 6 months? I play games a little bit but my job will require that I watch a lot of tv too and so I'll be using it for that. I should probably wait, right?

What would stop you from waiting another 6-10 months once the new ones come out? You can play this game forever. There's nothing wrong with the current MBPs.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Ok good points, I won't wait then.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Has anyone tried Lion on a base 2010 11" MBA? I'm eyeing the refurbs pretty heavily for a portable secondary machine this fall, but I'm hesitant to drop $750 + tax on one if it's going to be a dog out of the gate.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Scienter posted:

Last Thursday it was delivered and unboxed; arrived in perfect condition. It's been good times since with zero regrets. First Mac and best first impression of any computer purchase I've ever made.
While this isn't my first Mac, I feel exactly the same. I almost always end up with buyer's remorse for my large purchases, but my last two Macs have been absolutely perfect. I love my 27" iMac and the new 13" Air is faultless. The form factor is better than my old 15" i7 MBP, the screen resolution is still great, and I don't feel like I sacrificed much performance for my workflow (if any) going from a larger laptop with an i7 and Intel SSD to the Air's i7 and Samsung SSD. I couldn't be happier with it.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Lacie it's August where's my little big dick :negative:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

flyboi posted:

Lacie it's August where's my little big dick :negative:

:raise: I didn't know they made those.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Space Racist posted:

Has anyone tried Lion on a base 2010 11" MBA? I'm eyeing the refurbs pretty heavily for a portable secondary machine this fall, but I'm hesitant to drop $750 + tax on one if it's going to be a dog out of the gate.

2GB of RAM is unacceptable for Lion IMHO, get 4GB or don't bother.

quote:

While this isn't my first Mac, I feel exactly the same. I almost always end up with buyer's remorse for my large purchases, but my last two Macs have been absolutely perfect. I love my 27" iMac and the new 13" Air is faultless. The form factor is better than my old 15" i7 MBP, the screen resolution is still great, and I don't feel like I sacrificed much performance for my workflow (if any) going from a larger laptop with an i7 and Intel SSD to the Air's i7 and Samsung SSD. I couldn't be happier with it.

Do you actually get to use your MBA at work, or is it your personal machine, out of curiosity?

Daric posted:

Everyone is riding a wave of :downs: after the new Air launch when it comes to rumours, buy it now if you need it. I'd only start second-guessing purchasing a MBP as it approaches March of next year or so. If new ones do turn out to launch this year, you can sell it or if you're lucky return it and not be down too much money.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

movax posted:

Do you actually get to use your MBA at work, or is it your personal machine, out of curiosity?
It's primarily for schoolwork and as a secondary machine to use at home while my iMac is occupied with fullscreen TV shows or games. Couch-surfing will also be a nice option again if the NBA ever comes back.

I don't imagine I'll use it at work since it's a Windows environment, though the Air works quite well with VPN and CoRD for remote work.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

movax posted:

2GB of RAM is unacceptable for Lion IMHO, get 4GB or don't bother.

Out of curiosity, in what sense? Sandboxing in Safari would eat it up too quickly? Any other real-world scenarios?

I'm not really needing a ton of performance out of the thing, it'd be a secondary computer to take to campus to type documents/spreadsheets, plus web browsing, email, the usual. Nothing really intensive, but ideally I'd want it to last at least 2-3 years if I'm going to drop that much money on it.

My original plan was just to get a ~$400 netbook, but the 11.6" Lenovo X120e my campus store has for sale is $469 for an AMD single core, or $529 for the dual-core model, both with 2 GB of RAM and a standard HDD - if I'd be paying that much, I'd really rather just drop the money on a MBA and stay with Apple (provided my fall budget can afford it).

I mean, sure, I could get a full-fledged PC notebook for that money, but the emphasis is on lightness and portability since this wouldn't be my primary machine.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm having some serious first world problems here. For whatever reason, I'm thinking of taking back this new iMac and going back to my gaming PC I built and getting a 13" Air. If I did that I would have pc upgrade money, and I could sell my iPad since the Air would cover everything I need in it. Has anyone else done the "windows box / air" combo and enjoyed it? I can't help but think jumping back and forth from OSs will be jarring and i'll miss the iMac.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I just grabbed a original 11" Air in SA-Mart. If the screen is too small or the 64GB/2GB is too limiting, I figure I can always just re-sell it for what I paid for it. I already have a 13" MBP so I'm not sure how smart of an idea that was.

I don't plan on putting Lion on it and I'll pretty much use it for posturing wherever there is public wifi. :smug:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm having some serious first world problems here. For whatever reason, I'm thinking of taking back this new iMac and going back to my gaming PC I built and getting a 13" Air. If I did that I would have pc upgrade money, and I could sell my iPad since the Air would cover everything I need in it. Has anyone else done the "windows box / air" combo and enjoyed it? I can't help but think jumping back and forth from OSs will be jarring and i'll miss the iMac.

I don't game, but after I got my MBP I basically never ever used my Windows or Linux desktops so I just sold them (and kept my big monitor)

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

I never owned an iMac so I don't know if your current set up is more ideal. But I have a PC desktop hooked up to a Dell U2311H IPS monitor and that's perfect for when I'm at home. Than I have my MBA 13" I recently acquired that I use as a Campus Warrior. I'm taking summer classes right now and it's a lot better to haul around than my old 13" MBP. The MBA 13" resolution is usable to develop on also, and I have a windows machine if I ever need the Windows environment for work/school like Microsoft OneNote or Visual Studio.

I recently got MacDrive so I can share an external harddrive between the two machines. Along with Spideroak (like dropbox) I have my School folder synced between computers so it's easy to switch between computers to get work done.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Space Racist posted:

Out of curiosity, in what sense? Sandboxing in Safari would eat it up too quickly? Any other real-world scenarios?

movax posted:

So I rebooted my MBP for the first time in ages, took an Activity Monitor screenshot to check RAM usage:

This was with Safari w/ 6 tabs or so, Mail, Word and IM. I don't think that's too out-of-line for what a 11" MBA might be doing, but 2GB seems borderline.

After that post, I went to the Fruit Stand to play with the MBAs in person, a 13" MBA sat at 2GB free after a reboot, IIRC. Remember you lose 384MB to video memory too.

quote:

I'm not really needing a ton of performance out of the thing, it'd be a secondary computer to take to campus to type documents/spreadsheets, plus web browsing, email, the usual. Nothing really intensive, but ideally I'd want it to last at least 2-3 years if I'm going to drop that much money on it.
Before SSDs came around, adding RAM was the best way to extend the lifespan of an older system and this is no exception. poo poo will only get hungrier and hungrier for RAM, especially browsers once more HTML5 content starts appearing everywhere.

I'd get the 13" base Air, personally, or upgrade the 11" to 4GB for sure.

Oddx
Sep 9, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

This is exactly my setup, I sold my old iMac and built a gaming pc and picked up a 13" Air (2010) and was really happy with it, except I hate using my windows rig for anything other than playing games. I've become pretty busy lately and haven't been gaming much so I've been using the Air as my primary, making me miss the iMac's screen big time. If you plan to do serious longterm gaming you'll probably be happy with the setup but if it takes the backseat, stick with the iMac?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I went from having an iMac + iPad and my wife had a Macbook Pro to an Macbook Air for me (sold both iMac and iPad). After the iPad 2 came out, we sold the Pro and I bought the iPad 2 and gave the MBA to my wife and I used the difference to put upgraded parts into an old gaming rig.

We needed more RAM in the Air since it was the 2010 Model but couldn't do anything with the ram, obviously, so we sold the Air for a 2011 Pro. Having a platter drive, though, stunk, so we bought a new Air, 11", 4GB model and are finally, very happy with this combo. It sucks we've constantly shuffled around hardware, but since the stuff is so new we didn't lose anything.

This sounds like what you are looking for, but I travel on a train to work and the MBA, as light and small as it is, just was no match for the portability and instant-tive-ness that you get from an iPad.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm now using a Windows 7 desktop as my iTunes base station for my (first-gen) iPad and iPod Touch (soon to be new iPhone). I've had it for a couple years without using it much; it was a hand-me-down from my father and a "work PC". Now, however, it's a (relatively) high-storage media server that allows me to stream to my PS3 and Air as need be, while alleviating the burden on the 128GB SSD of the latter. It also allowed me to save money by getting the base 13" Air instead of needing a higher capacity SSD. Loving this setup; living in the future owns.

Sadly, as this Air is also destined for a fair amount of work use, I'll eventually have to shell out some painful amount of money for a Windows 7 Pro license to Bootcamp with at some point. For now, the desktop is really bridging the gap for the few things I still need Windows for. Incidentally, seconding that the Air is pretty great for remoting into my work desktop.

That all being said, the iPad is almost exclusively used by my fiancée as a replacement for her aging Asus 14" laptop. If I didn't have her as an (appreciative, casual) user for the iPad I probably would have sold it when I got the Air, as I find the iPod Touch does everything as well and is more portable. I still like having big juicy iOS games (just picked up GTA Chinatown Wars, finally) for trips but really I'd be more than fine without it now.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 2, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Why are you guys not making your employer pay for your computers/software that you use for work?

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Bob Morales posted:

Why are you guys not making your employer pay for your computers/software that you use for work?

I'm guessing they are their own employers in a lot of cases.

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

ndrake posted:

Well if you want a small discount on a basically new 13" air, 256 gb with samsung SSD and samsung panel, let me know.

I wanna know, I'm considering buying one for this upcoming school year.

I've got PMability, if you want to take it to there.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Long story short I bought my Air through my employer and they were able to write off the sales tax and reimburse me. Apple's Online Store with education discount and $100 back-to-school gift card was the best way to go for that reason. I legitimately qualified for that discount only because my employer also paid for my French night class at the local university this past year!

Given that I will have to use the gift card for software I'd need to get with any new laptop purchase (e.g. iWork) I wound up getting my base 13" Air for effectively $1150 (CAD) which is totally loving sweet.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
My current job is coming to an end, and when it does, I have to send back the laptop they gave me to use. I've wanted to get a MacBook for a while, mostly because that's the last modern OS that I really have no experience with. Also it's pretty.

My problem is that I haven't really kept up with CPU and GPU tech in ages, so I don't have a clue what's what anymore, and while I can compare specs on different models, it's hard to tell what's actually important.

What I need:
* Web browsing
* Some sort of Office suite (doesn't necessarily have to be Microsoft office, but I'd like to have a good word processor and spreadsheet software at minimum)
* Built in webcam for video calling
* Battery that will let me use the computer for several hours without having to worry about plugging in
* Lots o' pixels (I don't care if everything looks tiny... resolution is important to me).

What I don't care about :
* Gaming (Macs have games now? I kid, I kid... but seriously, I don't care about gaming on a laptop)
* Massive amounts of harddrive space (my work laptop has 230 GB and I'm not even using half of it).
* Size/weight (Big or small, I can handle it just fine)

What I care about even though I shouldn't:
* The casing. Basically, the plastic white MacBooks drive me crazy, and I do not want one. I loved the black ones, but it seems like they stopped making those long ago. I honestly don't care too much for the brushed metal thing, either, but I'll take it over cheap looking plastic.

For my needs, I honestly think a plain old MacBook would probably be fine. Cost is a concern. I am eligible for student discounts through my college, but the discounts aren't exactly amazing. This basically leaves me with the following options:

$$$$
Buy a new MacBook Pro

$$$
Buy a refurbished/previous generation MacBook or MacBook Pro

$$
Buy previous generation hardware through Amazon or whatever

$
Buy used

That all brings me back to the specs, since I would potentially be comparing previous generation hardware to current hardware, and I still don't know how much better an i5 is over a Core 2 Duo, or whatever the options are. I know I don't need top of the line, but I'd still like it to be comfortably peppy. Are there any specs I should straight up avoid?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

brc64 posted:

My current job is coming to an end, and when it does, I have to send back the laptop they gave me to use. I've wanted to get a MacBook for a while, mostly because that's the last modern OS that I really have no experience with. Also it's pretty.

Take a look at the 11inch and 13inch Airs. The 11inch has essentially replaced the white MacBook entirely.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

movax posted:

Everyone is riding a wave of :downs: after the new Air launch when it comes to rumours, buy it now if you need it. I'd only start second-guessing purchasing a MBP as it approaches March of next year or so. If new ones do turn out to launch this year, you can sell it or if you're lucky return it and not be down too much money.

Yeah, as it turns out, one of my friends works at the Apple store in Austin so he's going to give me his F&F discount. I'll probably buy one in the next couple weeks.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

brc64 posted:

What I need:
* Web browsing
* Some sort of Office suite (doesn't necessarily have to be Microsoft office, but I'd like to have a good word processor and spreadsheet software at minimum)
* Built in webcam for video calling
* Battery that will let me use the computer for several hours without having to worry about plugging in

Every single Apple computer will fill this needs. Even the iPad, possibly.

quote:

* Lots o' pixels (I don't care if everything looks tiny... resolution is important to me)
Discard the 13" MacBook Pro. Purchase the high-resolution upgrade if you get a 15" MacBook Pro.

quote:

What I don't care about :
* Gaming (Macs have games now? I kid, I kid... but seriously, I don't care about gaming on a laptop)
* Massive amounts of harddrive space (my work laptop has 230 GB and I'm not even using half of it).
* Size/weight (Big or small, I can handle it just fine)

What I care about even though I shouldn't:
* The casing. Basically, the plastic white MacBooks drive me crazy, and I do not want one. I loved the black ones, but it seems like they stopped making those long ago. I honestly don't care too much for the brushed metal thing, either, but I'll take it over cheap looking plastic.
Again, every single Apple computer will do here now that they're all aluminum.

quote:

That all brings me back to the specs, since I would potentially be comparing previous generation hardware to current hardware, and I still don't know how much better an i5 is over a Core 2 Duo, or whatever the options are. I know I don't need top of the line, but I'd still like it to be comfortably peppy. Are there any specs I should straight up avoid?

Get anything that is Core i5/i7, ideally something from 2011 so you pick up the benefits of the 2nd Generation Core ix architecture, also known as Sandy Bridge. Improved performance and improved power efficiency; to give you an idea the new 13" MBA with a 1.6GHz 2nd Gen. Core i7 beats my 15" 2010 MBP with a 2.66GHz 1st Gen. Core i7. Comparing apples to apples, the new 15" gets about two more hours of battery life than mine as well.

I think you either want the 13" MBA or the 15" MBP with the high-res upgrade. The 15" MBP is priced too high though IMO, and that high-res upgrade also sets you back an extra $100/$150, so if you're going that route, you'll have to look at refurbs.

A base 13" MBA brand-new from Apple is $1299.00. The 15" is at a ball-crushing 1799.00 base (:wtc:)

e: looked up my order for the 2010 MBP. Fully loaded (high-res matte, fastest CPU) it was $2050, and even that was kind of steep.
e2: Don't forget the cost of AppleCare, which is cheaper for the smaller machines.

movax fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 2, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Has anyone picked up Apple's USB to Ethernet adapter with a 2011 Air? I'm seeing some reports of the adapter not working with Lion, and I'm wondering if I should pick it up. I have a feeling that the third-party ThunderBolt to Ethernet adapter will be ridiculously expensive.
Just an update: Apple's USB to Ethernet adapter works just fine with the 2011 Air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Just an update: Apple's USB to Ethernet adapter works just fine with the 2011 Air.

Was about to test it out since my new i7 11" just showed up. You had me worried for a bit.