Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Affi posted:

I've read it all and Marsh is still alive so..?

I was going to say something along the lines of "just wait and see because Marsh is pretty much a badass" if you hadn't read them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Heh, Sanderson just posted on Facebook (not verbatim):

quote:

"After eating garlic for dinner, during my panel at Comic-con I said 'I'll try not to talk too much.' Jim Butcher responded 'I find that hard to believe, Brandon.'"

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Brandon is heading downunder for Cons and book signings next April.
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/1000/Australia-2012-visit-Signings--Updates

quote:

Doom-Con, Swancon 37, Perth, Australia
Date: 04.05.12 Time: 3:00 pm-7:00 pm
Place: Doom-Con, Swancon 37
Address: TBD, Perth, Australia
Type: Convention

schedule: April 5–9, 2012 (Easter weekend)

Notes: Brandon is International Guest of Honor.

Supanova Melbourne 2012, Australia
Date: 04.13.12 Time: 10:00 am-5:00 pm
Place: Supanova Melbourne 2012
Address: Melbourne Showgrounds
Epsom Road
Ascot Vale
Victoria 3032 Australia

schedule: April 13–15, 2012

Supanova Gold Coast 2012, Australia
Date: 04.20.12 Time: 11:00 am-5:00 pm
Place: Supanova Gold Coast 2012
Address: Gold Coast Convention & Exhibition Centre
2684 Gold Coast Highway, Broadbeach
QLD 4218, Australia

Not A Hydroxyl Ion
Oct 10, 2007

Adventure!
A new Alloy of Law sample is up: http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/07/the-alloy-of-law-chapter-four

I'm immensely excited for this novella. And Stormlight Archives 2. And pretty much anything Brandon Sanderson writes.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
So the robberies actually cover kidnappings, which are all of female descendants of Spook, who may well have been the only remaining Mistborn on Scadrial at the time of Origination. Are these people trying to breed Mistborn back into the population? I don't think they'd have to be so specific if they're only making more full Steel Inquisitors?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 27, 2011

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

arioch posted:

So the robberies actually cover kidnappings, which are all of female descendants of Spook, who may well have been the only remaining Mistborn on Scadrial at the time of Origination. Are these people trying to breed Mistborn back into the population? I don't think they'd have to be so specific if they're only making more full Steel Inquisitors?

It's still unclear if Marsh is involved. But its likely someone is trying to create mistborn, likely through hemochemy

Also the jokes. Oh god the jokes.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

No Brandon, don't describe the dresses. It's a gateway drug. Next they'll be smoothing them. Then braiding their hair.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Wax's fiance essentially went off to powder her nose and smooth her dress, so there's that. But behind the scenes.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

No Brandon, don't describe the dresses. It's a gateway drug. Next they'll be smoothing them. Then braiding their hair.

There was a blog post a couple years back (or maybey it was a Mistborn annotation) where he said he constantly gets fan mail from women who want him to be more descriptive in the clothing/dresses that his female charecters wear.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Gain 20 Pounds posted:

There's a quick exchange between Wax and Lessie in the prologue that immediately made me think of those dreadful Shallan witticims in Way of Kings.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Sanderson fan, and I was able to mostly tolerate the Mistborn banter, but when I get to passages like

Way of Kings p. 459 posted:

"[The authors] feel more arrogant than confident to me," [Shallan] sighed, setting the book aside. "To be honest, 'arrogant' doesn't feel like quite the right word. It's not specific enough."
"And what would be the right word, then?"
"I don't know. 'Errorgant', perhaps."
Jasnah raised a skeptical eyebrow.
"It means to be twice as certain as someone who is merely arrogant," Shallan said, "while possessing only one-tenth of the requisite facts."
Her words drew a hint of a smile from Jasnah.

I feel like I need to take myself around back and :suicide: . Even Kvothe wouldn't stoop to punning like this.

I'd very much like to think the hint of a smile came from the mental image of catapulting Shallan over a bridgecrew into the Pits of Hathsin Shattered Plains.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
I may not be able to read the new Mistborn book. I just can't take the way he writes "clever" people talking to each other. I just can't. Ugh.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

He also shouldn't describe environments or how people look either because you are a retard.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Affi posted:

He also shouldn't describe environments or how people look either because you are a retard.

Totally bro.

What I really want from this book, but I'm not sure we'll get, is a (spoiler from Mistborn trilogy) Sazed point of view. I want to know what all he's been while he's been Harmony for 300 years. And if Marsh is still around, why can't/won't Sazed control him?

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Affi posted:

I can't tell if you're trying to be funny, missing the point of the post you quoted, or just haven't read any Wheel of Time.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Oh man, if he starts describing how Shallan's neckline plunges based on how she imagines herself in Shadesmar, I will giggle.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

What I really want from this book, but I'm not sure we'll get, is a (spoiler from Mistborn trilogy) Sazed point of view. I want to know what all he's been while he's been Harmony for 300 years. And if Marsh is still around, why can't/won't Sazed control him?

I kind of want another set of chapters from Marsh's perspective, to see what his link to Sazed is like and what his time as Ruin's puppet left him as

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Apparently Marsh is a more or less legitimate object of worship by some of the nobility. I'm pretty excited about that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just finished WoK today, and hot:drat: was that ending amazing. Kaladin vs. the Parshendi was way badass, and now I'm pumped to see Bridge Four and Dalinar kick rear end in the next one. I think this series might end up better than Mistborn. .

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Somebody get this to the WTF D&D crew for review. :3:

http://www.crafty-games.com/content/mistborn-adventure-game-pre-order-details?utm_source=bsand&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=magpre

Brandon Sanderson posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren:
The book also includes the Kelsier short story that I mentioned back during the Mistborn 2 annotations. Some readers have been clamoring for this for years, so if you want to find out about Kelsier's training with his master Gemmel, pick up the RPG.
:siren: :siren: :siren:

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/1003/Mistborn-Adventure-Game-preorders--Updates

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 1, 2011

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
What is that on the cover. Is it a prawn or something?

EDIT: Giant space prawn!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Gotta say, didn't expect Inquisitor spikes to go THAT far out the back of their heat. I thought it'd be a pair of nubs, not a wannabe Tiefling.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

syphon posted:

What is that on the cover. Is it a prawn or something?

EDIT: Giant space prawn!

Uh, that would be a mistborn with mistcloak.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

404GoonNotFound posted:

Gotta say, didn't expect Inquisitor spikes to go THAT far out the back of their heat. I thought it'd be a pair of nubs, not a wannabe Tiefling.

I totally did, but I thought they came further out the front. To me, inquisitors always looked more cenobite than human. I don't think they played up the hemalurgy enough.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

arioch posted:

Uh, that would be a mistborn with mistcloak.
drat. Now that you say that, I see the face and feel stupid. :(

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Victorkm posted:

I totally did, but I thought they came further out the front.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Especially with the Zane & Spook chapters talking about clothing how unobtrusive their spikes felt, I figured with the head spikes it would look more like the most :black101: pair of goggles, with larger heads and sticking maybe an inch or two out the back.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I'm more surprised the Inquisitor is bare-chested. I'd figure there'd be more spikes all over the body, but I guess that's a latter-part-of-the-trilogy Ruin innovation thing.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
If anyone picks that up please let us know if the story is worthwhile and if there is good art inside the RPG book. I probably won't be playing the RPG, but I have a few other RPG books just because the art in them is fantastic.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Actually, taking a look at the picture again, I just noticed the dice. D6s with custom marks on 6 and either 1 or 5.

Is... is this another FATE system game?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

arioch posted:

I'm more surprised the Inquisitor is bare-chested. I'd figure there'd be more spikes all over the body, but I guess that's a latter-part-of-the-trilogy Ruin innovation thing.

I think even for the first book there were more spikes in the Inquisitors, since they had all the powers of a mistborn (one power per spike) and at least the power of storing up health with feruchemy.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think even for the first book there were more spikes in the Inquisitors, since they had all the powers of a mistborn (one power per spike) and at least the power of storing up health with feruchemy.

That's right, they had most of their spikes on their back.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

404GoonNotFound posted:

Is... is this another FATE system game?
Based on a quick glance at their forum, I don't think so. I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff, so I'll will more then likely pick it up.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here's a Bulgarian interview translated (somewhat) into English. Enjoy!

http://scifi.bg/statii/interview-with-brandon-sanderson/

quote:

Brandon Sanderson is a fantasy writer of top class. He’s relatively young for his fame – only 36 years old, he’s already known for his „Mistborn“ book series. The word of his success reaches Harriet McDougal, the wife and editor of the late Roberd Jordan, author of the „Wheel of Time“ book series. His widow choses Sanderson to finish the work of Jordan. In 2009 Sanderson announces that he accepts the challenge and will finish the saga in 3 additional books, but will remain faithful to the plans of the original author. 2 are already on the market and the last book has yet to come.

That first sentence needs to go in the thread OP.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 3, 2011

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

So in other news I found out the other day that I work with the artist who drew the cover for the RPG (as well as several of Shallans illustrations in Way of Kings). He mentioned that Brandon had him do a ton of concept art for various as-yet-unseen creatures he described from WoK and other stories. He won't show me though :smith:

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Heh, he just posted on Facebook teasing about the new WoT book. Apparently he's 40 percent in, and enough major characters have died that he's had to keep a running list, and was teasing spoilering it.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I'm just glad that I try to keep away from anything spoilerish for everything I like. Movies, books, games, etc. For example, I haven't read the Song of ICe and Fire thread since the book came out because I haven't finished it yet, and am afraid of spoilers. Also, I haven't read the Malazan thread yet either because it's on my "list of stuff to read" and I don't want to read it and chance spoiling something :(

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

I just preordered this. I have to go to work, so I don't have time to read the primer I downloaded, but it looks like there are going to be rules for allomancy, feruchemy, hemalurgy, and Kandra mimicry.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

pakman posted:

I'm just glad that I try to keep away from anything spoilerish for everything I like. Movies, books, games, etc. For example, I haven't read the Song of ICe and Fire thread since the book came out because I haven't finished it yet, and am afraid of spoilers. Also, I haven't read the Malazan thread yet either because it's on my "list of stuff to read" and I don't want to read it and chance spoiling something :(

The Malazan thread is really, really good about using spoiler tags. So just don't click any of the big black boxes. Trust me, you're going to have questions as you read, and it's a great place to get them answered.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Welp, went and pre-ordered Super Mistborn RPG sight unseen, knowing absolutely nothing about the system, power level, new fluff, or if you'd even be able to roll an Alloy-style Twinborn.

I am Sanderson's bitch :smith:

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 4, 2011

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

A Nice Boy posted:

The Malazan thread is really, really good about using spoiler tags. So just don't click any of the big black boxes. Trust me, you're going to have questions as you read, and it's a great place to get them answered.

Go ahead and read Malazan, the spoilers are the least of your problem. For me, the spoilers don't even make sense after you've read the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

A Nice Boy posted:

Heh, he just posted on Facebook teasing about the new WoT book. Apparently he's 40 percent in, and enough major characters have died that he's had to keep a running list, and was teasing spoilering it.

I misread that as WoK and got really excited even though I know the next Stormlight book is way far out. I just finished WoK last weekend and I'm loving jonesing, man.