Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Rotcod
May 20, 2004
I see the consistently reoccurring disappointment and failure you will continue to cause yourselves.
I'm gonna reword my predicament simply cause this has been driving me crazy all day.

I need an application that will list all of the file contents(NO FOLDERS) of a directory, analyze that against the file contents of another directory and then give me the unique files that are contained in each. I do NOT care about the directory structure contained in either of the parent directories.

Seriously, it's so simple you'd think this would exist but every folder comparison application that exists thinks that identical files that are contained in different folders AREN'T identical, even though all of the metadata is the same. I can't stress enough how much I only care about the FILE contents within a parent directory. Anything you guys know of that could help would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Zenostein posted:

Out of curiosity, if you disable versioning, do you get Save and Save as… back? Or do you still have to do the duplicate/export song and dance if you want to save something with a different name or whatever?
I'm not sure that you can disable it. You can disable app restoring, but versioning is built into the app you're using.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Dr Rotcod posted:

I'm gonna reword my predicament simply cause this has been driving me crazy all day.

I need an application that will list all of the file contents(NO FOLDERS) of a directory, analyze that against the file contents of another directory and then give me the unique files that are contained in each. I do NOT care about the directory structure contained in either of the parent directories.

Seriously, it's so simple you'd think this would exist but every folder comparison application that exists thinks that identical files that are contained in different folders AREN'T identical, even though all of the metadata is the same. I can't stress enough how much I only care about the FILE contents within a parent directory. Anything you guys know of that could help would be greatly appreciated.
I dunno, dump a `tree` output of both disks, and run `uniq` or diff on them?

Dr Rotcod
May 20, 2004
I see the consistently reoccurring disappointment and failure you will continue to cause yourselves.

unruly posted:

I dunno, dump a `tree` output of both disks, and run `uniq` or diff on them?

Ah, thanks. This is exactly what I need to do. Would help to still be able to see the root of the files in the tree. I'm no scripting expert so it'd be great if there was some kind of software that was capable of doing this since I have 27 TB of data to sort through.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Does anyone know of a mac app that can strip subtitles from mkv files? I know mkvtoolnix can do it with the mkvmerge function but I want something with a GUI that's simple to use.

Any ideas?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Why is Safari not letting me close it?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Corbet posted:

Does anyone know of a mac app that can strip subtitles from mkv files? I know mkvtoolnix can do it with the mkvmerge function but I want something with a GUI that's simple to use.

Any ideas?

The two I have used in the past are mkvtools http://www.emmgunn.com/mokgvm2dvd/mokgvmdownload.html

And the mkvtoolnix mkvmerge GUI but I had to jump through a million hoops to get everything compiled. I haven't tried again in a year or two. Well there is a DMG linked here anyway:
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/16837/mkvtoolnix

JHVH-1 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 3, 2011

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
Since there's a ton of people still bitching about Preview and TextEdit's "Export" bullshit, I threw together a script that'll replace Lion's lame as hell versions of Preview and TextEdit with Snow Leopard's, and backup Lion's copies if for some reason you decide you want to punish yourself and go back to using those.

Download here: http://db.tt/sh2dZ4g

I tested this on two different Macs running Lion and tried to prevent you from doing anything really stupid (like running on 10.6), but keep in mind this might not work for you, could make you sterile or might blow up your house or something. To use it, just double-click the install script; to remove it and go back to the way things were, double-click the uninstall script.

e: I should probably note here that you'll very likely have to run this again after upgrading to 10.7.x

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 3, 2011

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

amf5 posted:

Since there's a ton of people still bitching about Preview and TextEdit's "Export" bullshit, I threw together a script that'll replace Lion's lame as hell versions of Preview and TextEdit with Snow Leopard's, and backup Lion's copies if for some reason you decide you want to punish yourself and go back to using those.

Download here: http://db.tt/sh2dZ4g

I tested this on two different Macs running Lion and tried to prevent you from doing anything really stupid (like running on 10.6), but keep in mind this might not work for you, could make you sterile or might blow up your house or something. To use it, just double-click the install script; to remove it and go back to the way things were, double-click the uninstall script.

e: I should probably note here that you'll very likely have to run this again after upgrading to 10.7.x

This isn't a long term solution, as these are new APIs in Lion, and unless you never plan on upgrading any of your apps, you can't get away with this forever.

I figure within a year most apps will start using autosave and versions.

I guess what I'm saying is, you should get used to the new way of doing things. It really will be better in the long run.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Radnor posted:

I did and it was easy. Boot Camp Assistant had me burn a Windows driver CD, then it made a partition and installed Windows 7 on it. Painless!

The Lion drive shows up in Windows but I cannot see any recovery partition.

You also have the option of putting it on a flash drive, cause that's what I did last week.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

So I just switched to the new Omniplan; It has some minor improvements over the previous version, mostly Lion-esque stuff like full-screen, minor UI improvements and some collaboration feature. Sadly the new method of displaying the outline and gantt chart is driving me crazy. It (the text) is huge and has a ridiculous line-height, even if you decrease the font-size. I used to be able to somewhat manage a project on my 13" macbook, but those days of glory are now temporarily over. Thankfully I can still use it on my desktop, but I am saddened.

The thing is, I'm hoping somebody here does know how to change the size and line height of the text. In any case, I've e-mailed their support. If they respond and nobody here knows anything, I'll post an update.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

As nice as some additions Lion brought are, I'm having some pretty serious issues. Most notably not being able to turn the display off on my MBP. It was possible in SL by jumping through a couple of hoops (but listed as a 'feature' on Apple's site) but not in Lion. Having both my MBP's monitor and my external Cinema HD on, especially when doing something graphics intensive like playing a game, is causing some heat issues and graphical corruption I never saw in SL.

Also Mail 5 is asking for my Gmail account password on a daily basis even though I've saved it in the keychain. What the poo poo is that?

Is there any speculation yet as to when 10.7.1 is supposed to hit? 10.6.1 came pretty quickly after SL was released, right? I'm really hoping for some fixes. :(

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

As nice as some additions Lion brought are, I'm having some pretty serious issues. Most notably not being able to turn the display off on my MBP. It was possible in SL by jumping through a couple of hoops (but listed as a 'feature' on Apple's site) but not in Lion. Having both my MBP's monitor and my external Cinema HD on, especially when doing something graphics intensive like playing a game, is causing some heat issues and graphical corruption I never saw in SL.

Also Mail 5 is asking for my Gmail account password on a daily basis even though I've saved it in the keychain. What the poo poo is that?

Is there any speculation yet as to when 10.7.1 is supposed to hit? 10.6.1 came pretty quickly after SL was released, right? I'm really hoping for some fixes. :(

Close the lid and wake up the macbook pro with the mouse?

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.

decypher posted:

Seriously? Can we put questions like this to bed, forever. It is pointless.

Why is this pointless?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

echobucket posted:

Close the lid and wake up the macbook pro with the mouse?
This was the exact method I used with SL to make it happen, but with Lion it works up until I reopen the lid, the MBP monitor wakes up instantly.

I just found a thread about it on Apple's forums, seems like I'm not the only one having problems with this. So I guess I can just file a complaint/bug report/whatever and hope they do something. v:saddowns:v

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

TheState posted:

Why is this pointless?
I think it's because of the appearance of high memory usage, where some of that may be unreleased RAM that, if needed, would be reclaimed by the system. Further, the process model for Safari has changed to be more like Chrome -- incurring a larger memory footprint due to having to have a full process amount of RAM allocated per tab.

Memory usage really is one of those issues that should come down to a non-issue these days. RAM is cheap and plentiful, and the systems in place are largely managing it better than any user can/could -- especially with caching and this new process management system going on.

Plus, really? Is it every year that a new browser version comes out and someone has to raise the RAM usage question like it's still a serious problem? Most of the time it has to do with loaded plugins, extensions, page elements and all sorts of other poo poo that really can't be reproduced on any other machine. It's all anecdotal.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

unruly posted:

I think it's because of the appearance of high memory usage, where some of that may be unreleased RAM that, if needed, would be reclaimed by the system. Further, the process model for Safari has changed to be more like Chrome -- incurring a larger memory footprint due to having to have a full process amount of RAM allocated per tab.

Memory usage really is one of those issues that should come down to a non-issue these days. RAM is cheap and plentiful, and the systems in place are largely managing it better than any user can/could -- especially with caching and this new process management system going on.

Plus, really? Is it every year that a new browser version comes out and someone has to raise the RAM usage question like it's still a serious problem? Most of the time it has to do with loaded plugins, extensions, page elements and all sorts of other poo poo that really can't be reproduced on any other machine. It's all anecdotal.

Thanks for the first part of your answer, and I realize that it's all anecdotal, but this is a machine I don't have control over getting upgrades for, so RAM being cheap and plentiful means jack poo poo for me. All I know is that my computer crawled to a halt for no obvious (to me, I'm just looking at system monitor because I don't know what else to look at) reason beyond two tabs in Safari and a few other apps that aren't really doing a whole bunch.

It's a new OS and I was wondering if there were similar experiences. Don't answer the question if you guys don't want to. We're not all as well versed in RAM reclamation, so yeah, it's a question that's going to come up.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

TheState posted:

Thanks for the first part of your answer, and I realize that it's all anecdotal, but this is a machine I don't have control over getting upgrades for, so RAM being cheap and plentiful means jack poo poo for me. All I know is that my computer crawled to a halt for no obvious (to me, I'm just looking at system monitor because I don't know what else to look at) reason beyond two tabs in Safari and a few other apps that aren't really doing a whole bunch.

It's a new OS and I was wondering if there were similar experiences. Don't answer the question if you guys don't want to. We're not all as well versed in RAM reclamation, so yeah, it's a question that's going to come up.
Sorry, I guess there was some pent up passive-aggressivness in that answer, having given it more times than I'd care to remember. :)

So, I do understand your plight, it's not an easy one to solve. On RAM starved machines, you might have a point where reclamation might not happen often enough or grab enough to quench the thirst.

Like you said, too, that Lion introduces a lot of new components (especially new process management) and they may not have hammered out all the problems with lower end machines, or machines who are under spec'd for their roles. Hopefully a round of patches will start smoothing out the raw edges of the system and get this boat back into the stable-ish territory that was Snow Leopard.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

unruly posted:

Sorry, I guess there was some pent up passive-aggressivness in that answer, having given it more times than I'd care to remember. :)

So, I do understand your plight, it's not an easy one to solve. On RAM starved machines, you might have a point where reclamation might not happen often enough or grab enough to quench the thirst.

Like you said, too, that Lion introduces a lot of new components (especially new process management) and they may not have hammered out all the problems with lower end machines, or machines who are under spec'd for their roles. Hopefully a round of patches will start smoothing out the raw edges of the system and get this boat back into the stable-ish territory that was Snow Leopard.

No worries, thanks again for the answer.

Scamander
Apr 11, 2007
I want to change this
I apologize if this isn't the thread in which to post this, or if it has been handled already here or elsewhere (I searched through this thread in case to no avail).

I'm using an iMac with OS X version 10.6.8 and 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, if this helps. Sorry in advance for a long-winded explanation of my problems; this is probably due to my (limited) total lack of understanding of the issues in question.

I am trying to install Windows XP using Boot Camp Assistant (BCA). When I try to download the relevant drivers (the first step for me when running BCA) I am told that the Windows support software is unavailable. This is my first problem; however after reading about other people's experiences with this same issue, I decide to tell BCA that I have already downloaded them or I have them on a disc somewhere.

The next step is to create a partition on my disc for Windows, and here is where my main problem lies: when I try to do so (whatever size partition I try to make) I get the message "The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved. Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Max OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again".

Now, I read more about other people experiencing the same problems, and lots of them said they had solved it by removing certain files, notably Parallels VM, some games and Office 2004, of which I had Parallels, which I removed. This didn't solve them problem for me. Other people claimed to have defragmented their disc, solving them problem for them.

Yet other people suggest that backing up the disc then restoring it will have the same effect, however I don't have another disc to put things on at the moment and I HOPE there is a way around this that doesn't involve my buying one right now.

When I run Disk Utility with the intent of "repairing" it, I gather that in order to do so I need to start up from my Mac OS X installation disc in order to do so, and here comes problem three: I don't actually remember receiving one when I got the iMac. I'm told by my brother that I probably did and have just lost it, and perhaps this is true; in any case, I don't have one now. Is there any way that I could perhaps download such a disc image based on the fact that I have a legitimate copy installed on the machine now, then burn that image?

If anyone can shed any light on any of this mess I would be very grateful. If any useful information isn't made clear by the above, let me know and I'll do my best to explain.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I'm pretty sure you can run a disk verify with the system running. Go into Disk Utility and give it a shot.

MrDeSaussure
Jul 20, 2008
Does anyone know if Lion either installs a new, more up to date EFI that may resolve my problem, or lets me keep my old EFI?
The reason I ask is that my mid 2009 Macbook pro constantly freezes and locks up when I use any EFI past 1.6, after replacing the hard drive recently. This has been well documented, and appears to be a bug in the hard disk controller. (Basically, any EFI update that enabled SATA300 breaks my machine)

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

This was the exact method I used with SL to make it happen, but with Lion it works up until I reopen the lid, the MBP monitor wakes up instantly.

I just found a thread about it on Apple's forums, seems like I'm not the only one having problems with this. So I guess I can just file a complaint/bug report/whatever and hope they do something. v:saddowns:v

Um, maybe I'm missing something but why don't you just leave the lid closed?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

echobucket posted:

Um, maybe I'm missing something but why don't you just leave the lid closed?
There's hardly any ventilation with the lid closed, and it screws with wi-fi. This is an older MBP by the way, I don't know if the ones post 2008 or so have a different method of ventilation.

Scamander
Apr 11, 2007
I want to change this

Doctor Zero posted:

I'm pretty sure you can run a disk verify with the system running. Go into Disk Utility and give it a shot.

I did this, and it said:

"This disk needs to be repaired. Start up your computer with another disk (such as your Mac OS X installation disk and then use Disk Utility to repair this disk."

The details were:

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Performing live verification.
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Checking extents overflow file.
Checking catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking catalog hierarchy.
Checking extended attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
Invalid volume free block count
(It should be 51725781 instead of 51725763)
The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.
Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Start up your computer with another disk (such as your Mac OS X installation disc), and then use Disk Utility to repair this disk.

Now, I don't have the installation disc, and one of the things I was wondering was whether I might be able to get hold of one without having to buy a new one, given that this is a legitimate copy that I'm using now.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Since you already own 10.6 can't you just find a copy using Google? It's not like they come with serial keys or anything. Just make a boot disk with that and you can use it to verify/repair your hard drive. I also ran into the same problem when I was installing Windows 7 but I do have the recovery discs that came with the iMac. It just takes a minute or two to repair.

Do you know anyone else with any OSX installation discs or a USB boot disk? Another thing is if you're going to buy Lion then you can download that first and create a USB boot disk off that.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 3, 2011

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I work in an office where there is no Wifi (I know...) so when I disconnect from ethernet, iChat disconnects, too. Unfortunately, when I plug back in, it doesn't put me back online. I have installed "Chax" but it's auto-reconnect feature does not seem to be working.

Any other work arounds I could try?

Thanks!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Scamander posted:

I did this, and it said:

"This disk needs to be repaired. Start up your computer with another disk (such as your Mac OS X installation disk and then use Disk Utility to repair this disk."

Oof. Welp. Let's see, if you know anyone that you can borrow a Snow leopard disc from, that would work, or if there's an Apple store nearby, you could buy one, or hell, just ask them. If you bring in your machine they might do something for you.

If you could find an image somewhere it would work too, but I don't want to get all :filez:

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Scamander posted:

Now, I don't have the installation disc, and one of the things I was wondering was whether I might be able to get hold of one without having to buy a new one, given that this is a legitimate copy that I'm using now.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Boot into single-user mode by pressing command-s at startup.

Type "fsck -fy" into the console. This will repair the disk if it can without having the OS boot disk.

When completed type exit to continue to the login window.

Dr Rotcod
May 20, 2004
Figured out a super simple way to reword my request as I get more desperate:

Is there an application that will analyze two folder hierarchies and then list the files that are unique to each hierarchy? Boom

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Dr Rotcod posted:

Figured out a super simple way to reword my request as I get more desperate:

Is there an application that will analyze two folder hierarchies and then list the files that are unique to each hierarchy? Boom

I've been doing some searching for you and I found a simple program called kdiff3. It may do what you want it to.

http://kdiff3.sourceforge.net/

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

echobucket posted:

This isn't a long term solution, as these are new APIs in Lion, and unless you never plan on upgrading any of your apps, you can't get away with this forever.

I figure within a year most apps will start using autosave and versions.

I guess what I'm saying is, you should get used to the new way of doing things. It really will be better in the long run.

I don't like it, it doesn't add any appreciable new functionality, and it's implemented terribly. It's only "the new way of doing things" for two applications. The "feature" is the one who sucks, why should I change the way I've been doing things for like 20 years?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

amf5 posted:

I don't like it, it doesn't add any appreciable new functionality, and it's implemented terribly. It's only "the new way of doing things" for two applications. The "feature" is the one who sucks, why should I change the way I've been doing things for like 20 years?

It does add new functionality. It provides autosaving of files and the ability to roll back to any previous version of your file. Just because you don't appreciate it doesn't mean tons of other people won't love it.

If you did want to keep the keyboard shortcut for Save As.. mapped to Duplicate you can do this in the Keyboard Shortcuts prefpane.

echobucket fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 3, 2011

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

amf5 posted:

Because eventually you're going to have to if you want to keep your software up to date? As more and more applications start including the functionality you're going to have to continue to replace them with old versions, and eventually those versions are going to break after an OS update.

Regardless of whether the feature is good or not, you'll have to get used to it at some point unless you want to skip out on software updates indefinitely.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

amf5 posted:

I really believe that the built-in versioning will be a powerful feature in the long run. Until then, however, there's a lot of entrenched behavior that we'll have to move beyond.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there some fundamental conflict between "Save As..." and versioning and auto-saving?

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

smackfu posted:

Is there some fundamental conflict between "Save As..." and versioning and auto-saving?

One extra step man! One extra step!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echobucket posted:

It does add new functionality. It provides autosaving of files and the ability to roll back to any previous version of your file. Just because you don't appreciate it doesn't mean tons of other people won't love it.

If you did want to keep the keyboard shortcut for Save As.. mapped to Duplicate you can do this in the Keyboard Shortcuts prefpane.

TextEdit already did autosave, and in my experience not only is "duplicate" horribly frustrating to use if you want to just make minimal changes to an old file (and it'll force you to save with a .txt extension if you use command-S), if you don't disable it system-wide the old versions do auto-versioning also. There's literally no new functionality beyond making the save paradigm a lovely frustrating mess.

In Preview's case, with the new version, try this: open a file (any file) and try to convert it to a different format. Just try it. While you're doing that, keep in mind that in the old version, you could do this by just using "save as".

Either way, if you like the new versions, by all means, keep using them. I don't, so I replaced them; there's clearly other people that feel the same way so I figured I'd make it easier for them to replace them also. Nobody is forcing you to use the old versions, although most people probably assume Apple is forcing you to use the new versions, and they'd be partially right: this helps get around that.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

smackfu posted:

Because sometimes you just want to save a copy of a file for later editing without worrying about digging through a revision tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Accipiter posted:

Because sometimes you just want to save a copy of a file for later editing without worrying about digging through a revision tree.

There's no digging through a revision tree, you hit "Duplicate" and then save the file with a new name.