Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's the inevitable AJE and Guardian live blogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A TV image of Mubarak ambulance arriving at court:
http://yfrog.com/h3y3anij
A shot of a crowd watching the trial on a big screen http://twitpic.com/607ml4
Shots from inside the court room, from Egyptian TV
http://yfrog.com/hs9xcusj
http://yfrog.com/hsz1exij
http://yfrog.com/kkc4rafj
A picture of apparent clashes:
http://twitpic.com/607qal
Pictures of the crowd outside
http://twitpic.com/607v65
http://twitpic.com/607t47
http://twitpic.com/607u3k
http://twitpic.com/607v65

From Libya, here's a AJE report on the aftermath of yesterday's counterattack by Gaddafi forces in Zlitan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaV1SAeEvZ8

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Al Jazeera English is streaming the trial live

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Mubarak is in the court room, lying in a hospital bed. Not looking as frial as you'd expect for someone who keeps slipping in and out of comas and having strokes.
Update from the Guardian:

quote:

I just spoke to the Guardian's Jack Shenker, who is in downtown Cairo. Jack covered the Egyptian revolution and was initially granted permission to be one of the few foreign journalists inside the courtroom before being access by the security services.

He said the headlines in Egyptian papers this morning included "Judgement day" and "The awaited day".

There's been a real sense as to whether he would actually turn up in his white prison overalls in this specially constructed metal cage which all Egyptian criminal defendants are supposed to stand in when they're in court. And the sight of this once mighty dictator so publicly humiliated and so brought down to earth is one which a huge amount of Egyptians are relishing.

Usually in important criminal cases there's an adjournment early on once the trial starts. The first day is given over to procedural matters, technical arguments by both the derence and prosecution. The lawyers usually ask for an adjournment to review the evidence and the judge will often adjourn the case for a month. Now, this judge has promised that this won't happen...Obviously any dealys will be very politically sensitive. Protesters have already complained that the ruling army general have been delaying this trial for too long, putting off holding Mubarak to account so there's a lot of pressure to get this trial underway.

Mubarak, exactly where he should be:

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 3, 2011

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Did anyone ever figure out if Mubarak really had 70 billion like it was claimed at the height of the protests ?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/04/hosni-mubarak-family-fortune

It always seemed strange to me he was apparently the the second richest person in the world without ever appearing on any list of billionaires.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Brown Moses posted:

Mubarak, exactly where he should be:

This is my new wallpaper

yes. YESSSSS.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 3, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It must be reassuring to know that even if somehow they get aquitted the crowd outside will be so enraged they'll probably just tear them apart.

The Pebbler
Nov 22, 2006

by T. Finn

Brown Moses posted:

It must be reassuring to know that even if somehow they get aquitted the crowd outside will be so enraged they'll probably just tear them apart.

Agreed. I too love when mob justice takes precedence over the proper legal system.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Bit of an update on the mood in Cairo:

quote:

Jack Shenker writes from Cairo. He says the centre of the city is pretty much a ghost town at the moment. Some of that is because it's Ramadan at the moment, when the streets are always quieter than normal, but it's also because there are so many people huddled around rickety TV sets in alleyway cafes or standing outside the windows of electronic shops staring at the screens within.

quote:

Many have been commentating on the fact that Mubarak is on a stretcher, with most dismissing it as a naked plea for sympathy (the 83-year-old seems perfectly able to prop himself up and put his hands behind his head, so it's not clear why he's not just in a wheelchair).

Not everyone is happy though. "It's good to see the others there, but the sight of a man who once led the biggest nation in the Middle East now lying in a bed behind bars - that's really strange," Reda Tohami Ibrahim told me as we watched proceedings in a side street. Others around him also appeared in a state of shock - though there was no shortage of bawdy laughter when the camera appeared to catch the deposed dictator picking his nose.

Now that the dramatic moment of Mubarak's first appearance is over with, thoughts are turning to what will actually happen inside the courtroom. The day seems likely to be consumed with procedural arguments by the phalanx of lawyers on both sides, and it seems highly possible that the beleaguered judge (who is struggling to keep order) may accept the defence's call for an adjournment. The biggest drama may prove to be outside the courtroom, where scattered clashes between between police and pro-Mubarak supporters are continuing.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Haha, Mubarak and his sons deny all the charges, this is just grand.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's the Guardian round up for the morning:

quote:

Egypt

• Hosni Mubarak, the deposed former president of Egypt, has appeared in court in Cairo charged with killing demonstrators during the uprising against him earlier this year, profiteering by abusing his position of power, and exporting gas to Israel for prices lower than international market rates. He faces sentences ranging from five years in prison to the death penalty. He denied all the charges against him.

• Mubarak appeared behind a cage in the court, lying on a stretcher, apparently due to ill health. He will reportedly be held in the police academy hospital for the rest of the trial rather than going back to Sharm el-Sheikh.

• A lawyer also requested that Muhammad Tantawi, the head of the armed forces and de facto head of state, be called. The behaviour of Egypt's telecommunications companies, Vodafone, Mobinil and Etisalat, during the uprising against Mubarak has been raised in court. Vodafone and other mobile phone companiesn were criticised for following Egyptian government orders and implementing a communications blackout at the height of the revolution. A lawyer for the victims called for people including the head of the Egyptian telecom company NTRA, the head of Egyptian state TV and the head of Nile News to appear in court. A lawyer also requested that Muhammad Tantawi, the head of the armed forces and de facto head of state, be called, as well as Omar Suleiman, Mubarak's former intelligence chief.

• The trial has at times been chaotic and even bizarre. One lawyer claimed it was not Mubarak in the dock, but a clone, the real president having died in 2004. He asked for a DNA test to be carried out. Mubarak's lawyer, Ferid el-Deeb, has asked for 1,631 witnesses to be called. Another lawyer requested compensation from Mubarak for damage to Egypt's security because "God said in the Qur'an that Egypt is a safe place". A lawyer from the Egyptian treasury asked for 1bn Egyptian pounds (£102,427,578) in compensation from Mubarak. Another lawyer said Mubarak and his sons had never had a criminal file created, pulled out an ink pad and demanded they be fingerprinted. There were 30 lawyers in the courtroom and the judge was asked to admit another 130 waiting outside.

• Also on trial are Mubarak's two sons Alaa and Gamal, charged with profiteering, Hussein Salem, a business associate of Mubarak's charged with corruption and being tried in absentia, former interior minister Habib El-Adley, charged with the murder and attempted murder of protesters, and six police officers or interior ministry officials, also charged with murder and attempted murder.

• There were skirmishes outside between pro- and anti-Mubarak activists and police, with reports of arrests, rock-throwing and injuries.

• The trial has been adjourned and it is unclear when it will restart.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Mubarak will go back on trial on August 15th.

Meanwhile, it looks like yesterday was a busy day in Libya for NATO

quote:

Sorties conducted 02 AUGUST: 123
Strike sorties conducted 02 AUGUST: 58
*Strike sorties are intended to identify and engage appropriate targets, but do not necessarily deploy munitions each time.
Key Hits 01 AUGUST:
In the vicinity of Bir Al Ghanam: 1 Military Facility, 1 Command and Control Node.
In the vicinity of Brega: 2 Militairy Facilities, 1 Tank.
In the vicinity of Bani Walid: 1 Military Facility, 1 Command and Control Node.
In the vicinity of Misratah: 1 Armed Vehicle.
In the vicinity of Ras Lanuf: 1 Radar.
In the vicinity of Tripoli: 1 Command and Control Node, 2 Surface to Air Missile Systems, 1 Anti Aircraft System.
In the vicinity of Zintan: 1 Military Logistic Vehicle, 1 Multiple Rocket Launch System.
In the vicinity of Zlitan: 1 Command and Control Node, 2 Military Facility, : 1 Ammunition Storage Facility, 1 Tank, 2 Armed Vehicles.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

quote:

One lawyer claimed it was not Mubarak in the dock, but a clone, the real president having died in 2004. He asked for a DNA test to be carried out. Mubarak's lawyer, Ferid el-Deeb, has asked for 1,631 witnesses to be called. Another lawyer requested compensation from Mubarak for damage to Egypt's security because "God said in the Qur'an that Egypt is a safe place". A lawyer from the Egyptian treasury asked for 1bn Egyptian pounds (£102,427,578) in compensation from Mubarak.

I... just...

:psyduck:

Yeesh.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

I... just...

:psyduck:

Yeesh.

Either Egyptian lawyers are just generally terrible or this is some plot to undermine the prosecution.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

quote:

The trial has at times been chaotic and even bizarre. One lawyer claimed it was not Mubarak in the dock, but a clone, the real president having died in 2004. He asked for a DNA test to be carried out. Mubarak's lawyer, Ferid el-Deeb, has asked for 1,631 witnesses to be called. Another lawyer requested compensation from Mubarak for damage to Egypt's security because "God said in the Qur'an that Egypt is a safe place". A lawyer from the Egyptian treasury asked for 1bn Egyptian pounds (£102,427,578) in compensation from Mubarak. Another lawyer said Mubarak and his sons had never had a criminal file created, pulled out an ink pad and demanded they be fingerprinted. There were 30 lawyers in the courtroom and the judge was asked to admit another 130 waiting outside.

Jesus, this sounds more like a bad comedy than anything else.
Why are there 160 lawyers involved? surely there should only be a handful, dealing with the charges on the table, not 160 "lawyers" making whatever batshit insane claims they wish.
At this stage I think the best course of action would be to involve the ICC and hand Moob over to them.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Brown Moses posted:

Meanwhile, it looks like yesterday was a busy day in Libya for NATO

I guess they decided the hole they've been digging in Waddan is finally deep enough.

That is quite a circus of lawyers involved in the Mubarak trial. I mean, I expected that it'd be a trial-of-the-century spectacle, but a lot of that sounds just plain weird.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Thundarr posted:

I guess they decided the hole they've been digging in Waddan is finally deep enough.

That is quite a circus of lawyers involved in the Mubarak trial. I mean, I expected that it'd be a trial-of-the-century spectacle, but a lot of that sounds just plain weird.

Someone must be having a laugh at whatever news agency reported this...seriously lawyers believing moob is a clone? Wanting compensation because the Koran said so? And I thought the silly charges put on Ben-Ali after he was found guilty of the only charges that mattered were crazy.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I think some things out to be cleared up about the Mubarak trial:

In the trial, there were 4 main groups of lawyers,

The first, are the defense lawyers, these are the guys representing Mubarak and his ilk, they are also the fellows who are trying any sort of ridiculous delaying tactic (the 1600 witnesses guy and them asking for tantawi to stand witness).

The second are the prosecution, these were the people wearing green and red bands sitting to the left of the judge, these guys were the low-key people who factually stated the prosecutions charges (Murder, Profiteering, Corruption, Etc)

The Third Group are the Civil Lawyers, mainly people who might represent individual protesters and their families or themselves, these were the people who called for Omar suleiman, and the snipers and other interior ministry people to be called to testify. included among them is that bizzare DNA testing and fingerprinting guys.

and the final group are the nation or government lawyers, who called for monetary compensation (the 100 million pounds guys)

just letting you know, that while some people are being ridiculous, the prosecution are the people who were the most calm, collected and prepared for the whole thing. so I'm not too concerned, although me and my Egyptian buddies are pretty sure that something nasty is cooking in the background.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Al-Saqr posted:

I think some things out to be cleared up about the Mubarak trial:

In the trial, there were 4 main groups of lawyers,

The first, are the defense lawyers, these are the guys representing Mubarak and his ilk, they are also the fellows who are trying any sort of ridiculous delaying tactic (the 1600 witnesses guy and them asking for tantawi to stand witness).

The second are the prosecution, these were the people wearing green and red bands sitting to the left of the judge, these guys were the low-key people who factually stated the prosecutions charges (Murder, Profiteering, Corruption, Etc)

The Third Group are the Civil Lawyers, mainly people who might represent individual protesters and their families or themselves, these were the people who called for Omar suleiman, and the snipers and other interior ministry people to be called to testify. included among them is that bizzare DNA testing and fingerprinting guys.

and the final group are the nation or government lawyers, who called for monetary compensation (the 100 million pounds guys)

just letting you know, that while some people are being ridiculous, the prosecution are the people who were the most calm, collected and prepared for the whole thing. so I'm not too concerned, although me and my Egyptian buddies are pretty sure that something nasty is cooking in the background.

Why are they doing this all at once instead of having separate dates for the third and fourth group?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jut posted:

Why are they doing this all at once instead of having separate dates for the third and fourth group?

From the over-the-top security to the giant cage to Mubarak testifying from a hospital bed, this is all supposed to be a giant spectacle.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Brown Moses posted:

Al Jazeera English is streaming the trial live

I wonder how that happened. Last I heard, the government completely banned al-Jazeera from observing the trial.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Xandu posted:

I wonder how that happened. Last I heard, the government completely banned al-Jazeera from observing the trial.

Who can resist the winning smiles of Ayman Mohyeldin and Sherine Tadros?

El Ste
Aug 22, 2010

Finlander posted:

Either Egyptian lawyers are just generally terrible or this is some plot to undermine the prosecution.

Well, in the national exam that determines where you will go to university and what it is you will study, one of the lowest scoring (if my memory serves me correctly, and it may be the lowest passing score) passing results leads you to studying law.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

El Ste posted:

Well, in the national exam that determines where you will go to university and what it is you will study, one of the lowest scoring (if my memory serves me correctly, and it may be the lowest passing score) passing results leads you to studying law.

It's the lowest scoring yes. The next one is commerce.

Ham fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 3, 2011

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ham posted:

Okay, so I gotta ask, what's the highest scoring ones. Give something like a top five.

I just want to see how other countries treat law and business admin degrees.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Ham posted:

Which is weird, because most of the Egyptian lawyers I met in Alexandria were really, really smart people.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

suboptimal posted:

Which is weird, because most of the Egyptian lawyers I met in Alexandria were really, really smart people.

They got things wrong deliberately?

El Ste
Aug 22, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Okay, so I gotta ask, what's the highest scoring ones. Give something like a top five.

I just want to see how other countries treat law and business admin degrees.

I myself am an Egyptian-American, born and raised here in America but with my entire family being entirely Egyptian, so while I haven't experienced the actual educational system there I'll do my best to go off memory as to what my parents have told me. Any better placed goons feel free to correct me.

In Egypt's equivalent to High School, you are forced to make a decision as to which path of study you will take, a liberal arts/humanities path or a mathematics/science one. In your final year when applying to universities, the score you get on the nationwide exam determines what you will study and where you will be studying it. Now, as far as I know it goes:

Highest Scores in Maths/Science Exam lead you to - Medical school, Dentistry, Engineering
Highest in Humanities- Political Science, Mass Communication, etc

However, if you are a monied enough family, currently the most prestigious private university in Egypt is the American University in Cairo. That's where the business administration degrees and the like come in and they are also considered quite prestigious and worthy of the best jobs out there.

As a small aside, there's a bit of a quirk when it comes to the law degree. While it does take the lowest of the humanities exam score, often someone from a well-connected family and a high exam score may opt to study law because if you do have those connections and you study it, it does manage to open up some very good doors for your career. Some of the highest positions, as far as I'm aware, in fact.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Zeroisanumber posted:

From the over-the-top security to the giant cage to Mubarak testifying from a hospital bed, this is all supposed to be a giant spectacle.

Someone jog my memory. Was Mubarak dying when he was in power? Because I don't remember him even having a cold. He was standing up and giving speeches and stuff.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
When he was in power his illnesses were downplayed or hidden so as to not stoke fears of his passing. Now it's in his benefit to be infirm, hoping for more lenient treatment.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

El Ste posted:

I myself am an Egyptian-American, born and raised here in America but with my entire family being entirely Egyptian, so while I haven't experienced the actual educational system there I'll do my best to go off memory as to what my parents have told me. Any better placed goons feel free to correct me.

In Egypt's equivalent to High School, you are forced to make a decision as to which path of study you will take, a liberal arts/humanities path or a mathematics/science one. In your final year when applying to universities, the score you get on the nationwide exam determines what you will study and where you will be studying it. Now, as far as I know it goes:

Highest Scores in Maths/Science Exam lead you to - Medical school, Dentistry, Engineering
Highest in Humanities- Political Science, Mass Communication, etc

However, if you are a monied enough family, currently the most prestigious private university in Egypt is the American University in Cairo. That's where the business administration degrees and the like come in and they are also considered quite prestigious and worthy of the best jobs out there.

As a small aside, there's a bit of a quirk when it comes to the law degree. While it does take the lowest of the humanities exam score, often someone from a well-connected family and a high exam score may opt to study law because if you do have those connections and you study it, it does manage to open up some very good doors for your career. Some of the highest positions, as far as I'm aware, in fact.

Most of what you say is correct, but business administration degrees are also given by Egyptian government universities and they're very competitive on the local market compared to other private universities with the exception of AUC, which always gets you a leg-up.

Highest in humanities = Political science and economics, Mass comm, Arts, English/French Commerce (this is accounting and business admin. rolled into one) and English/French Law.

Science is divided into two branches: Medicinal science and mathematical science

Highest in medicinal science = Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmacology

Highest in mathematical science = Engineering, IT

Students who chose to take the science branch in high school can also choose to join any humanities colleges they'd like if they have the required score but not vice versa. Scores are set on a percentile basis. Students can apply to schools they're eligible for but they usually have a limited number of slots leading them to accept the highest applicants only.

Governmental college education in Egypt is relatively cheap unless you join English/French Law or Commerce which can be up to 60-80x as expensive as their Arabic equivalents. Private colleges, while still governed by governmental rules, are much more expensive than governmental ones.

quote:

While this is true in some cases, it's not universal, as a person from a well-connected family would always choose to go the English/French sections. The English/French sections in Law demand much higher scores than the Arabic section and therefore are much more respected.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Gaddafi

quote:

Libya's embattled leader Muammar Gaddafi is ready to hold elections to resolve the ongoing conflict in the North African country, Nicaragua's President Daniel Ortega said late on Wednesday after meeting with a Libyan delegation.

Ortega, a personal friend of Gaddafi, said the leftist Latin American bloc ALBA supported the move to allow Libyans to "exercise their right to vote... and create the conditions needed to end the war”.

The Nicaraguan leader, who called for an end to the allied bombing campaign, said the Libyan delegation had arrived in Managua on Tuesday bringing a letter for him from Gaddafi.

NATO Bombing

quote:

An international journalists' group has sharply criticised NATO air strikes against Libyan television, which killed three people and injured 15, saying they violated international law and UN resolutions.

The International Federation of Journalists [IFJ] said the bombing on Saturday was in contravention of a Security Council resolution passed in December 2006 that explicitly condemned such attacks against journalists and media.

Beth Costa, the Brussels-based IFJ secretary-general, said:
We utterly condemn this action, which targeted journalists and threatened their lives in violation of international law.

uh...

quote:

AFP reports: Seif al-Islam Kadhafi said Wednesday his family had forged an alliance with Islamist rebels to drive out the secular opposition to his father's 40-year rule.

Seif who along with his father had long branded the entire opposition as radical extremists, told The New York Times: "The liberals will escape or be killed... We will do it together."

"Libya will look like Saudi Arabia, like Iran. So what?" he added, in what the Times described as an hour-long interview that stretched past midnight in a nearly deserted Tripoli hotel.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Does Saif al-Islam even speak for his father anymore? I've gotten the impression that he's totally out of the loop.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

quote:

AFP reports: Seif al-Islam Kadhafi said Wednesday his family had forged an alliance with Islamist rebels to drive out the secular opposition to his father's 40-year rule.

Seif who along with his father had long branded the entire opposition as radical extremists, told The New York Times: "The liberals will escape or be killed... We will do it together."

"Libya will look like Saudi Arabia, like Iran. So what?" he added, in what the Times described as an hour-long interview that stretched past midnight in a nearly deserted Tripoli hotel.

What? So instead of "The rebels will turn Libya into Iran!" it's now "We will turn Libya into Iran to spite the rebels!"? Is this some kind of scare tactic to get the west to stop aiding the rebels before they force Gadaffi to ally with the islamists? Or is Gadaffi really ready to compromise his secular rule like this just to stay in power?

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Saif has looked like a nut from the beginning of this conflict, even moreso than his father, so I'd take anything he says with a grain of salt. Early on in the intervention he gave a long speech which even the Al Jazeera anchor summed up with "Well, that was a load of rambling nonsense" and he's been continuing in that vein ever since.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

CeeJee posted:

Did anyone ever figure out if Mubarak really had 70 billion like it was claimed at the height of the protests ?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/04/hosni-mubarak-family-fortune

It always seemed strange to me he was apparently the the second richest person in the world without ever appearing on any list of billionaires.

It's an interesting point, and like most info that's coming out of Egypt/Libya, it's prossibly some species of P.R. At the same time, asset value gets calculated in different ways and IIRC the guy who founded Ikea can be in the top 250 or the top 5-20 depending on how ownership of assets is calculated. That 70 bill could be 30 depending on which accountant you hire, but it's not really relevant in the general context of Egypt 2011. There's nobody who, other than being contrary, would argue that Mubarak+family didn't retard the economy and inhibit basic personal liberties and economic competition via mechanisms that appropriated billions of $ for personal possession and disadvantaged the country to an extreme degree in the process.

This "trial" is just weird. Mubarak kind of reminds me of a fatter, Egyptian John Edwards who managed to keep the sociopathy/crazy from public address until much later.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Redgrendel2001 posted:

There's nobody who, other than being contrary, would argue that Mubarak+family didn't retard the economy and inhibit basic personal liberties and economic competition via mechanisms that appropriated billions of $ for personal possession and disadvantaged the country to an extreme degree in the process.

In fairness the economy of Egypt showed consistent growth due to Mubarak's economic reforms, and he was opening up the country to a more market driven economy. The problem was that any benefits were not trickling down to the man on the street.

Jut fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 4, 2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

That 70 bill could be 30 depending on which accountant you hire, but it's not really relevant in the general context of Egypt 2011

The question isn't if he's guilty of embezzling state money, but how much of it can be recovered, which is why his assets matter.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
France

quote:

France has said its aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle would return home for maintenance next week from the NATO-led mission over Libya, but insisted there would be no respite for Muammar Gaddafi.

The vessel, France's only aircraft carrier and Europe's biggest warship, will leave on August 10 to head for its home port of Toulon for several weeks of work, defence minister Gerard Longuet told Var-Matin newspaper.

The French navy website however said on Thursday it would take "several months" to complete the work on the ship that has been engaged in the operation since March 22.

However, Longuet insisted that France would maintain its commitment to the Libya mission.

Younes

quote:

Suspicion for the recent murder of the opposition forces commander Abdel Fattah Younes has fallen on a rebel group of fighters from the town of Derna in Eastern Libya. Gadaffi's government has described it as a "hotbed of religious fundamentalism", which the town's residents refute.

Saif al-Islam, Muammar Gaddafi's son, in an interview witn the New York Times, said he was forging an alliance with Islamist rebels against their liberal allies, in what appears to be a bid to divide the Libyan opposition groups.

The newspaper quoted a Ali Sallabi, a senior Islamist rebel leader who confirmed he had been in contact with Gaddafi's son. However, he denied forging an alliance with the ruling family, pledged his continued support for the opposition and denied a split with the liberal wing of the six-month-old rebellion.

"Saif al-Islam's statement is baseless. It's a lie that seeks to create a crack in the national accord," Sallabi said. Sallabi acknowledged making conversations with Saif.

"Our dialogue with them is always based on three points: Gaddafi and his sons must leave Libya, the capital (Tripoli) must be protected from destruction and the blood of Libyans must be spared. There is no doubt about these constants," he said.

"We support pluralism and justice. Libyans have the right to build a democratic state and political parties." Sallabi said relations between the Islamists and seculars are "strong."

Meanwhile, The rebels scored a victory on Thursday, bringing a ship with a seized cargo of government-owned fuel into their port. The docking in Benghazi of the Cartagena, a tanker carrying at least 30,000 tonnes of gasoline, boosts an insurgency which has won broad international military and diplomatic backing but is struggling to oust Gaddafi.

Gaddafi has so far remained in control of the capital Tripoli despite severe fuel shortages and rebel advances on three fronts, backed since March by Western air strikes. He has defied hopes in Western states of a swift exit, forcing them to await progress on political and military fronts.

Rebels

quote:

The rebels against the Libyan government captured the Cartagena, a ship loaded with 40,000 tons of oil products, on its way from Malta to Tripoli on Thursday.

"This shipment was on its way to the western side to Gadhafi's brigades and by God's blessing our fierce men and our heroes from the east and the west were able to capture the ship," Abdel Hamid Ali, the Harbour Navy Engineer."

A Libyan tanker reported to have been seized by rebels opposing Muammar Gaddafi is about to enter the rebel-held port of Benghazi having been cleared to proceed by NATO ships enforcing an arms embargo, NATO officials said on Thursday.

Sources familiar with the situation told Reuters on Wednesday that suspected Libyan rebels seized the tanker Cartagena, which belongs to the Libyan government's shipping arm, off Malta and set course for Benghazi.

NATO officials said NATO forces enforcing an arms embargo on Libya had hailed the ship in the Mediterranean and had cleared it to proceed.

Colonel Roland Lavoie, NATO military spokeswoman, said:
It has been cleared to enter Benghazi and it's about to enter the port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
There certainly are plenty of interesting rumors regarding quite who took that Libyan tanker. Especially as the rebels have previously not demonstrated any sort of capacity to launch an action like that independently.

• Locked thread