Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That'd be down to your network speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Doc Faustus posted:

So, on the Apple site, the Hi-Res screen is described as "useful when you’re working with HD content in pro applications, like Final Cut Studio". I don't intend to do any of those things. Is the upgrade still worth it for general usage/occasional movie playback, or will most people be perfectly happy with the standard screen?

I would get it, 1440x900 or whatever isn't very good for a 15" screen.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

dissss posted:

That'd be down to your network speed.

Obviously, I just mean from a display/projection/video card standpoint. I remember the last gen MBA kind of choked on Youtube 1080p when I played with them in the Apple store. I have FIOS 35/35, not an issue.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

:q:

In the morning I'll stick the 2x2GB chips in my iMac at work. They are Samsung 10600's, I replaced them with G.Skill 10666's

The free USB drive is a white Kingston Data Traveler. Kind of a stupid shape. Oh well.

Also UPS dropped off my 11" Air even though I was supposed to pick it up at the depot. Oh well, saves me 10 minutes.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Welp, got my computer back. :unsmith:

It was a total nightmare and I'll never go back to that particular Apple Store for service ever again, but it's nice to able to do work again.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Doc Faustus posted:

So, on the Apple site, the Hi-Res screen is described as "useful when you’re working with HD content in pro applications, like Final Cut Studio". I don't intend to do any of those things. Is the upgrade still worth it for general usage/occasional movie playback, or will most people be perfectly happy with the standard screen?
It's more room. If you feel cramped when working in small environments then get the HD screen.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Doc Faustus posted:

You could very well be happy with the standard but the hi-res screen (it's not a bad screen) is well worth the extra Franklin, and it looks a lot better. I'd get it.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

coldplay chiptunes posted:

It's more room. If you feel cramped when working in small environments then get the HD screen.

I've been on 10" netbooks for the last 2 years, so my sense of what's comfortable is all out of whack. Time to go visit a retail location and see if they have both on display!

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I assume that this memory:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139481

will work fine with a 2011 MBP?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SERIOUS posted:

So not only are they dragging their feet, they're lying to me. Gee, that's just swell.

Maybe they broke the glass and were waiting for a replacement.

EDIT: Sorry. Meant to post this last night but my internet died. Good to see that you got your computer back, SERIOUS.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

shodanjr_gr posted:

I assume that this memory:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139481

will work fine with a 2011 MBP?

It will, just won't run as fast as it could (the sandy bridge chips can run at 1066 or 1333) -- In actual usage this isn't going to matter.

Also, I posted this last page, but it's faster and chapter:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231342

Also, I saw the page said I was supposed to get the flash drive, but it wasn't added to my order. In talking to the live chat person, she said I can contact them when the flash drives come back in stock, and I'll get them.

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 4, 2011

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Saw this on macrumors today, thought it was interesting to share:

Intel Ultrabooks Unable to Undercut MBA Prices

macrumors posted:

DigiTimes reports, however, that manufacturers are having trouble pricing their new machines under Apple's MacBook Air, raising concerns about their prospects for market success.

The sources pointed out that the new MacBook Airs are priced at about US$999-1,599 with rather strong demand in the US; however, designing an ultrabook based on Intel's technical suggestions will still be unable to reduce the machine's price level to lower than the MacBook Air's unless Intel is willing to reduce its prices, which already account for one-third of the total cost.

Intel's effort to match the MacBook Air's thin profile has seen the company push forward its new platform with more components integrated directly onto the machines' circuit boards and using non user-replaceable batteries, mirroring Apple's own steps. Those requirements have, however, pushed up the cost of those components beyond that of the modular ones typically used in PCs, resulting in Ultrabook pricing coming in at the same levels as Apple's MacBook Air.

Intel apparently expects computers like this to make up about 40% of the market by the end of next year. If they're forced to drop their prices, I wonder if we'll see those savings trickle into the MBA's price (probably not). At any rate, if this holds out to be true, I guess we could see the "Apple Tax" get a little smaller in relation to PC Land, at least for notebooks.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

MrEnigma posted:

Also, I saw the page said I was supposed to get the flash drive, but it wasn't added to my order. In talking to the live chat person, she said I can contact them when the flash drives come back in stock, and I'll get them.
Really? I guess I'll have to give that a try then, since the Live Chat person I talked to with basically told me "sorry, it's out of stock, you're SOL". I can never have enough flash drives lying around..

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Intel apparently expects computers like this to make up about 40% of the market by the end of next year. If they're forced to drop their prices, I wonder if we'll see those savings trickle into the MBA's price (probably not). At any rate, if this holds out to be true, I guess we could see the "Apple Tax" get a little smaller in relation to PC Land, at least for notebooks.

The Apple Tax has always been overstated anyways. It was doing a one to one comparison of components while ignoring form factor and over all build, which is one of the selling points of the hardware. Outside of the mac pro the pricing of Apples stuff has always been competitive when you look at actual machines clearly targeting the macbook and iMac. I someone doesn't care about that difference then good for them, but people shouldn't pretend like an all plastic laptop with a worse screen, worse battery life etc is actually comparable.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Actually the Pros are often competitive too - at that level everything is mega pricey.

I think its the lower end where Apple is less competitive - thats one of the reasons why they dropped the plastic Macbook.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

dissss posted:

I think its the lower end where Apple is less competitive - thats one of the reasons why they dropped the plastic Macbook.

I think the problem is that Apple doesn't lower prices over time. It's always the same price, from when it comes out, until the day the new model is release. Dell's machines get cheaper. You could buy the same model 8 months later, and you'll get more RAM, HD, and a faster CPU while the computer itself is cheaper. A $999 Macbook is always going to be $999.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apple also doesn't put their products on sale.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

They also don't change their exchange rates anywhere near as quickly as everyone else - not an issue for US buyers but its a big deal for those of us overseas.

Even considering sales tax its significantly more expensive for me to buy an Apple computer here than it would be in the USA.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They lowered prices a little though it took over a decade of waiting

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

I think we paid close to $2500 for our 333 MHz Pentium 2 with 4GB of hard drive space and a DVD drive.

...that was only 14 years ago. I feel old.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Corbet posted:

I think we paid close to $2500 for our 333 MHz Pentium 2 with 4GB of hard drive space and a DVD drive.

...that was only 14 years ago. I feel old.

If that's the PowerBook G3 as I recall, it's around 1999/2000.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Apr 23, 2005
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Mu Zeta posted:

a WHITE shirt????? :)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If MBAs make up 40% of the market next year Intel still gets paid :smug:

Bob Morales posted:

I think the problem is that Apple doesn't lower prices over time. It's always the same price, from when it comes out, until the day the new model is release. Dell's machines get cheaper. You could buy the same model 8 months later, and you'll get more RAM, HD, and a faster CPU while the computer itself is cheaper. A $999 Macbook is always going to be $999.
Yeah that's probably a big part. Macs tend to be fine when new, but they only get updated like twice a year at most so towards the end of a cycle the specs tend to be outdated for a while, or longer like when they stuck with the C2D for the lower end.

SourKraut posted:

If that's the PowerBook G3 as I recall, it's around 1999/2000.
Seems about right, I got my 500mhz Pismo in 2000 so that was probably the predecessor...I think they kept the high end at $3,499 too.

Now I only buy Mac minis :shobon: (on the plus side I no longer hold out for 5-7 years like I did with my expensive machines)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

japtor posted:

Seems about right, I got my 500mhz Pismo in 2000 so that was probably the predecessor...I think they kept the high end at $3,499 too.

I remember my friend buying his. Couldn't believe he spent that much money on it (or had that much in the first place). So much cooler than my Dell Inspiron.

Installed the RAM from my MBP into my work iMac this morning, loaded my usual stuff and I'm THIS close to using 4GB. Will be nice to have that extra breathing room.

2GB/64GB Air Notes

A fresh boot with Firefox open takes about 700MB of RAM. A fresh install of OS X is about 8GB, monolingual takes it down another 1 GB. Installing the developer tools takes another 10 GB (yes, ten) if you install the iOS stuff. Oh well, I've got 37GB free.

The screen doesn't really feel any different than 1280x800. Just smaller pixels. Bumping the scaling down in the browser one notch and taking the fonts down in finder 1 size (and icons and spacing) really helps. It's weird how large the 13" MBP feels after you've used the Air for a while. The drawback to the small size is that it gets bumped around much easier and the screen/hinge feel flimsy, even if they really aren't.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I've inherited a 2008 whitebook that has a dead hard drive and a dead battery. Are there any brands of third party batteries that are trustworthy and cheaper than the Apple one? It's $129 which seems kind of expensive to me.

Also, is it safe to put a 7200 rpm drive into a whitebook? or will there be heat issues?

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

echobucket posted:

Are there any brands of third party batteries that are trustworthy and cheaper than the Apple one? It's $129 which seems kind of expensive to me.

OWC has one for $99

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Is there a "best" SSD to get for a 2011 13" mbp? I think I want to do that upgrade next after I get the RAM. 8gigs ram and an SSD sounds way too sexy. Also are there any foreseeable problems with sleep and what not running an SSD?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

Is there a "best" SSD to get for a 2011 13" mbp? I think I want to do that upgrade next after I get the RAM. 8gigs ram and an SSD sounds way too sexy. Also are there any foreseeable problems with sleep and what not running an SSD?

I've always stuck with Intel and had no issues.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I've always stuck with Intel and had no issues.

Do you mind telling me which one of these I should pick up? And also do you have a link to an install guide?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I considered putting this in the Postproduction thread, but considering they've collectively shunned FCPX and the last time I asked them (exactly a year ago) the consensus was that the Mac pro was the way to go, I figured I'd try you guys first:

I'm just about to be in the market for a new Mac and I'm looking at something that I can comfortably and frequently run Premiere, AfterEffects, FCPX, and FCP 7 (if I can find a copy) on- as well as other Adobe CS programs (mainly Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and InDesign). I'd like this computer to pull double-duty as a workstation/main computer if possible, so I've got some Steam games that I want to run on it as well (shouldn't be a problem given what else I want to run).

While upgradeability and expandability are important, they aren't the be-all-end-all (I'll probably try to turn over a new computer every revision cycle or so...thank you tiny Mac devaluation), and the sandy-bridge CPUs and thunderbolt pretty much negate any reason for me to consider a Mac Pro for the time being.

Right now, I'm between a 27" iMac and a 15" MBP- both slightly over the $2k mark. The iMac is sweet and the screen is huge, but it's sadly not portable- which is something I need in at least some faculty. I have a 2007 BlackBook that could probably hold me over as a portable (the portable wouldn't need to run any of the software I mentioned, but it would be nice) but I'm considering giving it to my mom and I'd need to pick up an iPad or 11" MBA to replace it.

The MBP would be portable (though not as portable as the iPad/MBA) and it would run all of the software I need on the go (though maybe not as well as the iMac? That point is very debatable). But given its one TB port, I'd have to get a TB display along with it in order to run both a big monitor (necessary) and external drives (more necessary).

In either case, I'd be looking at spending almost 1 grand more in extra hardware for the computer (iPad/MBA vs TB display), and it ultimately comes down to which computer would be better at doing what I need (lots of video crap). Which do I choose?

Note: yes, I'll be waiting until the new Mac pros come out so I can change my plans all over again.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 4, 2011

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I considered putting this in the Postproduction thread, but considering they've collectively shunned FCPX and the last time I asked them (exactly a year ago) the consensus was that the Mac pro was the way to go, I figured I'd try you guys first:

I'm just about to be in the market for a new Mac and I'm looking at something that I can comfortably and frequently run Premiere, AfterEffects, FCPX, and FCP 7 (if I can find a copy) on- as well as other Adobe CS programs (mainly Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and InDesign). I'd like this computer to pull double-duty as a workstation/main computer if possible, so I've got some Steam games that I want to run on it as well (shouldn't be a problem given what else I want to run).

While upgradeability and expandability are important, they aren't the be-all-end-all (I'll probably try to turn over a new computer every revision cycle or so...thank you tiny Mac devaluation), and the sandy-bridge CPUs and thunderbolt pretty much negate any reason for me to consider a Mac Pro for the time being.

Right now, I'm between a 27" iMac and a 15" MBP- both slightly over the $2k mark. The iMac is sweet and the screen is huge, but it's sadly not portable- which is something I need in at least some faculty. I have a 2007 BlackBook that could probably hold me over as a portable (the portable wouldn't need to run any of the software I mentioned, but it would be nice) but I'm considering giving it to my mom and I'd need to pick up an iPad or 11" MBA to replace it.

The MBP would be portable (though not as portable as the iPad/MBA) and it would run all of the software I need on the go (though maybe not as well as the iMac? That point is very debatable). But given its one TB port, I'd have to get a TB display along with it in order to run both a big monitor (necessary) and external drives (more necessary).

In either case, I'd be looking at spending almost 1 grand more in extra hardware for the computer (iPad/MBA vs TB display), and it ultimately comes down to which computer would be better at doing what I need (lots of video crap). Which do I choose?

Note: yes, I'll be waiting until the new Mac pros come out, I can change my plans all over again.

The MBP is a very good choice, I like being able to screw around with ideas anywhere.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Why do people claim that the MBP is not very portable? It weight 5lbs. If you can't carry an extra 5lb weight with you all day, you have an issue.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

Do you mind telling me which one of these I should pick up? And also do you have a link to an install guide?

X-25 if you can still find one, or the 320. The 510 isn't a bad choice, it's a 6.0GB/s device but it won't be noticeably faster.

Installation Guide:

Flip over Macbook Pro (on to something soft like a shirt so you don't scratch it)
Loosen all the screws on the bottom (don't take them out)
Lift bottom panel
Remove factory HD
Remove the little studs in the side (and put them on your new drive)
Put SSD back into that spot
Put bottom panel back on
Tighten screws
Re-install OS X

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Daric posted:

Why do people claim that the MBP is not very portable? It weight 5lbs. If you can't carry an extra 5lb weight with you all day, you have an issue.

It's what happens when people get nice things, I guess. I thought my BlackBook was perfectly portable (I think it's actually heavier than the 15" MBP) until my dad got an iPad and sister got an MBA. Now it suddenly feels "hefty."

To be honest, my only real serious complaints about Blackie these days are that it's slow and underpowered compared to the new hotness and that it's not nearly as durable as the aluminum unibodies.

I've babied that computer to Hell though. It runs like it did 4 years ago and the Genius I gave it to last week (free top case replacement for palmrest cracks) said its body was in "ridiculously perfect shape." You know what? I think I'll keep it as a music server or something and get my mom an iPad with my sister. I hear blackbooks are rare these days and this one means something special to me. I'd definitely like something that I can be less careful with (not that I will).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Daric posted:

Because when you're already carrying a bag with a lot of stuff, an extra couple of pounds can make a big difference.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Daric posted:

I think portability complaints with the MBP are mostly with the dimensions of the 17" which doesn't fit into a lot of laptop holders. Also it is heavy.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I don't know, I can't even feel the difference between 2lbs and 5lbs so I guess I'm just weird but I could definitely see how the 17" would be annoying. Not on the weight aspect, but trying to fit it into anything would be difficult. That's just about the size of a small tv, and you certainly aren't carrying one of those around with you all day.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

echobucket posted:

I've inherited a 2008 whitebook that has a dead hard drive and a dead battery. Are there any brands of third party batteries that are trustworthy and cheaper than the Apple one? It's $129 which seems kind of expensive to me.

Also, is it safe to put a 7200 rpm drive into a whitebook? or will there be heat issues?

There are third-party batteries, but they can be pretty hit or miss as far as quality goes. $129 is high, but it'll be as good as the battery the machine originally came with and will last for years (if you're keeping the machine that long).

7200 rpm drives are completely safe.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Daric posted:

I don't know, I can't even feel the difference between 2lbs and 5lbs so I guess I'm just weird but I could definitely see how the 17" would be annoying. Not on the weight aspect, but trying to fit it into anything would be difficult. That's just about the size of a small tv, and you certainly aren't carrying one of those around with you all day.
It depends on what you're doing. If you're just carrying it between home and work/school, it's probably not that big of a deal. But if you travel a lot, the difference is pretty massive, especially since you're not just carrying the 5 lb laptop but all sorts of other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

NoDamage posted:

It depends on what you're doing. If you're just carrying it between home and work/school, it's probably not that big of a deal. But if you travel a lot, the difference is pretty massive, especially since you're not just carrying the 5 lb laptop but all sorts of other things.
"Portable" is a completely subjective criteria and dependent on each person's usage habits. Context is everything, so one person calling others out for questioning a MBP's portability is pretty ridiculous.

I'd much rather carry my new 13" Air when I go shooting instead of my old 15" MBP. My bag's already loaded down with lenses, lighting, a tripod, and other miscellaneous crap. Every pound saved is precious to me if I'm going to be wearing it all day.