Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Mr.Brinks posted:

This looks retarded:

What in the loving hell? Robb's eyebrows, eyeliner, and elf ears are scaring the poo poo out of me and I think Jon's missing an eye... And apparently, in this adaptation, they are all part of the Night's Watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Maytag posted:

That art style is hideously influenced by anime.

That art style is pretty much right out of the mid 90s comic book era, when Rob Leifeld ruled supreme.

Copernico
Feb 26, 2011

LtSmash posted:

My question is when the iron bank envoy goes to Stanis, how does he get there? He's traveling with the iron island people who aren't prepared for the winter any more than Stanis's knights but the banker gets to deepwood fairly quickly and then the group makes it to Stanis's camp in the blizzard. Or did I mix up how long they were traveling?

I believe it was the Lady Hornwood who gave them provisions to make the journey.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Just read through Ramsay's wedding. Good loving god, poor Jeyne. I feel really uncomfortable after that chapter, so I'm off to cleanse my mind with some Temeraire.

At this rate I'll never get through DwD.

As for the graphic novel? The artwork pisses me off. It's not anime by any means, though you can see some manga influence creeping into its late-90s Marvel/Image Comics style. Some of the background work is lovely, though, and I give credit to their colorist. Eh...but Jon looks like a woman and Catelyn has huge lips and mashed-together uni-boob...

I won't be buying it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm surprised no one has been talking about Theon being castrated. Do you think Ramsay flayed his whole dick or just took the balls?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I just finished the first book in the series after picking it up for a plane ride. I'm hooked!

Has anyone bought the 4-book boxed set from Amazon? I was going to pick it up because it's less to buy that than individually buying the three books I haven't read.

Then I saw reviews that said the printing was shoddy, the books fall apart, pages are missing/duplicated. Can anyone who has it please give me their feedback on the quality of the print?

edit: gah, meant to post in the main thread!

Enigma fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 4, 2011

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

drat, I was right about to call you a dumbshit for whining about spoilers. You -had- to ruin my fun, didn't you?

@Haraksha: My money's on something like a subincision rather than outright castration.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Enigma posted:

I just finished the first book in the series after picking it up for a plane ride. I'm hooked!

edit: gah, meant to post in the main thread!

I can't answer your question, but you're gonna get spoiled if you read this thread

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well, he's definitely missing something. When he was counting all of the things Ramsay took from him, he was explicit about his toes and fingers, but he also ominously said, "And that other thing." When Ramsay asked him to get Jeyne ready, he said, "But I don't have...," so that makes me think his cock is gone.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

lapse posted:

I can't answer your question, but you're gonna get spoiled if you read this thread

Yeah, that's what I get for opening more tabs at once than I can handle at 1 a.m.

Sorry, hailthefish :)

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

There's also Ramsay's teasing comments about "is your cock straining against your pants?" or whatever. So SOMETHING definitely happened, and from what we know of Ramsay it's more likely that it's all hosed up rather than simply gone altogether.

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

LtSmash posted:

Unless he 'dies' freeing him from his vow and he becomes king of the north with the wildlings following him. A lot of the north would probably follow him too since he is the only surviving stark, sort of. Giants and mammoths with steel armor would be incredibly badass and I hope to see them murdering Freys left and right.

Hmmm... I like it. Of course the first thing I'd do is kill fuckers that stabbed me and gently caress the gates so they could never be closed again, making the others EVERYONE's problem.

But then I'm a spitefully bitter person.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Haraksha posted:

I'm surprised no one has been talking about Theon being castrated.

It's been brought up several times in the thread

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
If GRRM isn't going to write, then I'm not going to read.

But really, I hadn't seen it discussed since I joined the thread, so I thought attention out to be given to his flayed member.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

hailthefish posted:

There's also Ramsay's teasing comments about "is your cock straining against your pants?" or whatever. So SOMETHING definitely happened, and from what we know of Ramsay it's more likely that it's all hosed up rather than simply gone altogether.

Jesus people, I didn't even notice this. You pay pretty close attention to cocks.

p.s. oval office

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Mr.Brinks posted:

This looks retarded:

"Look, capybaras!"

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

LtSmash posted:

My question is when the iron bank envoy goes to Stanis, how does he get there? He's traveling with the iron island people who aren't prepared for the winter any more than Stanis's knights but the banker gets to deepwood fairly quickly and then the group makes it to Stanis's camp in the blizzard. Or did I mix up how long they were traveling?

Stannis' army has been stationary for a long time and moves a lot slower than a smaller group of individuals would. Remember, his southron men and horses aren't equipped to travel through the winter like the northerners are.

I believe the banker showed up at the Wall around the time Stannis was en route to Deepwood. He meets up and negotiates with Jon, then leaves to meet up with Stannis. While he's travelling to Deepwood, Stannis is (slowly) on the move to Winterfell, then establishes his camp at the abandoned town. Plenty of time for the banker to catch up with him.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Argali posted:

"Look, capybaras!"

Hahaha that is exactly what they look like, holy poo poo...

oogyboogs
Jun 21, 2009
I think that the perfumed seneschal refers to the maesters. The head Archmaester is called the Seneschal. And Marwyn says that the maesters want to kill the dragons. Maybe those dudes put a hit on her.

He also talks about how prophecies are BS or some other. I'll look for the passage. I remember it was near the end of the book.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mr.Brinks posted:

This looks retarded:

How hard is it to draw a wolf? They're just dogs - why do those things look nothing like wolves, but instead some kind of goofy badger-thing?

Darko fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 4, 2011

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Argali posted:

"Look, capybaras!"

I suddenly have a desire to see dire capybaras worked into the series.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Capybaras are indeed awesome. I wish they were easier to domesticate :(

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop
Pool capybara looks high as hell.

Look at that chill motherfucker.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

NihilCredo posted:

"Two hula hoops up in this poo poo".

Why does the artist of that comic draw Catelyn as a man with a roll of french bread stuffed under his shirt? Why is it that these adaptations and tie-in comics get the worst possible artists? Even the generic, no-name guys at DC who just copy the house style at any given time are better than this.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

The first Dunk & Egg graphic novel was great. Didn't see the 2nd one.

Why can't they get the same artists for Game of Thrones?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Myself, I can't stop hating this particular close-up, whether it's supposed to be Jon or Robb or Theon.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

oogyboogs posted:

I think that the perfumed seneschal refers to the maesters. The head Archmaester is called the Seneschal. And Marwyn says that the maesters want to kill the dragons. Maybe those dudes put a hit on her.

He also talks about how prophecies are BS or some other. I'll look for the passage. I remember it was near the end of the book.

Yeah, that's another card GRRM has yet to play. There were dragons once, and now they're gone. The Targaryens had a way of controlling them, but obviously other forces figured out how to kill them. Marwyn makes it out that it's the maesters who know how, so we'll see.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

Capybaras are indeed awesome. I wish they were easier to domesticate :(

They can be domesticated - I saw some weird show once where a woman had a pet one. Her husband looked like a broken shell of a man...every camera shot with him was like, "Someone please help me, look at this crazy batshit woman I have to live with."

The thing is, most people wouldn't want to domesticate the big giant rodent because of fun facts like they can only take a poo poo in water. No joke. So the crazy woman in the show has a kiddie pool that she uses to "walk" her capybara to let it take a dump.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Darko posted:

How hard is it to draw a wolf? They're just dogs - why do those things look nothing like wolves, but instead some kind of goofy badger-thing?

They're direwolves, dude. Not just ordinary dogs.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Direwolves, not direhamsters.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

eXXon posted:

They're direwolves, dude. Not just ordinary dogs.

And wolves are dogs and if you draw a wolf, you just draw a slightly sleeker, long snouted dog, not a little capybara. Unless "dire" means "rodent."

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why is Bran so happy in the graphic novel scene? I imagined that scene as a spooky/somber scene because it was an omen with a dead Direwolf bitch. Not some kind of "puppies!" scene.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Well, very young puppies do look more like retarded hamsters than dogs, but they're not that big.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I finished the book this past weekend, and just finished reading all 70+ pages of this thread. Having done so, I won't harp on the points everyone else has (Dany's chapters were slow, Tyrion's went no where, some overused expressions, etc.) although I do agree.

One of my own disappointments, however, is with Ramsay Bolton. Don't get me wrong, Theon's chapters were the best in the book, but I was really hoping we would see an end to Ramsay before the end. By the 3/4 point this seemed unlikely, but I still held out hope that he'd be done in by Stannis' assault on Winterfell. This wasn't so much because Ramsay's evil and I want to see justice done (although he is and I do) but because I felt he was embarassingly cartoonish. I'm well aware that there are psychopaths in real life who do some incredibly deranged things to other human beings; I'm not saying Ramsay isn't 'realistic' from that standpoint. As a fictional character though, he bears the burden of adhering not only to our expectations for fiction, but to the tone of the work. And all the other books feature villains who, even when they lack Martin's usual grey morality, as with Gregor, act from a place of understandable motivation. Gregor is the ultimate war atrocity, torturing, raping and killing as a means of subjugating the local populace. That these acts also appeal to his violent, sadistic nature is what made him so reviled, but they served a use for Tywin's warplans.

Compare this with Ramsay, who is also sadistic, but not in any focused or useful way. In fact, his behavior works at direct cross purpose to the Bolton's goals at pretty much every turn, but he is granted seeming immunity to this fact because rather than serving as an organic inhabitant of the plot, Ramsay seems to be Martin's attmept to focus all our hatred on a discernible point while he vacillates and stalls with the other plot lines (which lack clear antagonists).

In short, my feelings towards Ramsay are a mirror of how I felt about Darkstar in FFC; that he rings false as an over-eager attempt to create a particular reader response. He has abotu a dozen eeeeevil traits, any couple of which (as he had in CoK) would make an effective villain. As overloaded as he is- I lost patience around the time Jeyne implied he made her gently caress his dogs- I can't really feel take him seriously. I don't hate him, like I did Gregor or Walder Frey; I just want him gone.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005
Welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising?

I just like the contrast between Roose and Ramsay. I personally think Roose is an awesome character, a slightly more violent Tywin, but intelligent and calculating nonetheless. Ramsay is a fuckhead and I can't wait for Ghost to rip his throat out or him get burned alive.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ramsay serves as a foil to Roose himself. Ramsay appears worse at first glance, until you realize that Roose is even more vil, and is calm and collected rather than a frothing at the mouth psychopath, which only makes him more frightening.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop
Yeah, the super-casual "So I raped this woman right under the dead body of her husband I had just strung up, no big. Wasn't really worth the trouble, tbh" was disturbing in a totally different way than Ramsay's over-the-top stuff.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
One of the early contrasts in the series was between the North (which was simple and plain and honest and unassuming and honorable) and the South (which was decadent and treacherous and corrupt). The Bolton chapters, along with Manderly's choice of pie filling, show that the North is as hosed up as the South when it comes to how the strong treat the weak. People are poo poo everywhere, and the medieval system gives the shittiest of them a free hand to horribly abuse other people. Just as Sansa had to learn the hard way that the reality of knights and nobility wasn't the storybook fantasy she thought it was, those chapters in ADWD serve to show to the reader that the North was more DELIVERANCE and less LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE than initially indicated.

Gregor Clegane is a monster, and the fact that Tywin Lannister uses him as an instrument of terror is presented as proof that Lannisters are utterly amoral and will stop at nothing when it comes to gaining power. So what does it say about honorable Ned Stark that he had Roose Bolton as one of his most esteemed bannermen?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

well roose did say he hanged his people to keep stories from reaching Ned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

FMguru posted:

So what does it say about honorable Ned Stark that he had Roose Bolton as one of his most esteemed bannermen?

Tywin was actively using Gregor as an instrument to get what he wanted though. Roose Bolton made a pretty big deal about keeping your real nasty poo poo under the radar and being a Good Boss as a cover for it. The Starks and Boltons had a history too and Ned knew Roose was dangerous of course but it's not like he was sending him on secret rape and terror missions.