Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

I like the sound of the Bradley Method class (I am very interested in an intervention-free labor, and since this is my first I am a total n00b who would like lots of instruction), but he is freaked out by the fact that it has (tm) all over it and thinks it sounds kind of snake-oil salesman/late night infomercial.
We're really enjoying our bradley class but it's pretty lax. I didn't realize it had a reputation for being strict... It was the third class before we even pulled out the Bradley workbook. Everything before that was her own material and even with the workbook we're jumping all around. Talk with the person who teaches it and find out if you're comfortable with them.

Biggest piece of advice we've had so far is telling us to politely get a new nurse as soon as they push back against your birthing plan and you'll both be happier. And don't talk about bringing food into labor - just do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

On friday I'll be 12 weeks and announcing on my facebook that I'm pregnant. Any funny, not sentimental, cheesy, or weepy statuses you can suggest for myself and for my husband?

Also, I am having an odd reaction to buying baby stuff. I know I will need a lot, but I haven't bought anything yet. Not even a book. I just have this feeling that if I start, I wont stop. I'm also really nervous about how much stuff there is and that I'll choose the wrong stuff, the wrong brand, the wrong fabric, etc, etc. Baby stuff seems like a huge minefield to navigate. Anyone else feel this way?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
What about just posting a picture of a positive pregnancy test?

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

Bodnoirbabe posted:

On friday I'll be 12 weeks and announcing on my facebook that I'm pregnant. Any funny, not sentimental, cheesy, or weepy statuses you can suggest for myself and for my husband?

Also, I am having an odd reaction to buying baby stuff. I know I will need a lot, but I haven't bought anything yet. Not even a book. I just have this feeling that if I start, I wont stop. I'm also really nervous about how much stuff there is and that I'll choose the wrong stuff, the wrong brand, the wrong fabric, etc, etc. Baby stuff seems like a huge minefield to navigate. Anyone else feel this way?

I'm 20 weeks and I still haven't made a FB post because I can't decide what the right thing to say is.

I also haven't bought anything because there is so much of everything and it seems completely overwhelming. I'm hoping everything will just magically appear? Yeah, I know how you feel.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Fire In The Disco posted:

What about just posting a picture of a positive pregnancy test?

Too plain for my style.

limegrnxj posted:

I'm 20 weeks and I still haven't made a FB post because I can't decide what the right thing to say is.

I also haven't bought anything because there is so much of everything and it seems completely overwhelming. I'm hoping everything will just magically appear? Yeah, I know how you feel.

At least I know I'm not alone, although your facebook conundrum does not give me hope.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I didn't announce on FB for the longest time because everything I could think of to say either sounded cheesy or annoying. I ended up just saying, "Sometime around American Thanksgiving, I'll be having a Canadian baby!" (btw: we're American expats in Canada) That's not too bad, right? I just didn't want to be one of those annoying moms on Facebook from day one.

As far as buying baby stuff goes, I have very little bought for this fetus, and I'm like 25 weeks now. I try to remind myself to quit worrying, and that they don't really need that much stuff. Someplace to sleep. Something to poo poo in. Enough clothes and blankets so they don't freeze. Car seat. I'm trying to limit the baby stuff to purely essential items. Not that it stops me from constantly comparing various babywearing devices and cloth diaper brands. I'm currently waffling over whether to buy a $220 cashmere Didymos. Any babywearing nerds want to talk me out of it? I'm having trouble balancing my usual tightwad nature versus my "ooooh! cashmere!" instinct.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I took a low-key approach and just posted the ultrasound photos (which, at 13 weeks, looked a lot like a real baby) on FB. A ton of people missed them, so maybe a great status update would help.

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I just posted my first ultrasound photo and people figured it out. I also made a one-line post when we found out it was a boy.
As for baby shopping, I'm 21 weeks and have bought very few things. We have a crib, a travel system, a mobile, some books and a few maternity clothing items for myself. Oh, and about 100,000 little outfits that my mom and mother-in-law have purchased. All they want to buy is clothing, which is really nice of them, but if I had a choice between spending money on 100 adorable onesies or one piece of ridiculously expensive yet essential baby gear I'd choose the gear. First-world problem, I know.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
For our announcement, I took a picture of a Cthulhu figurine in a baby carrier and posted it with "He Is Coming!"

As for baby stuff, whatever you buy make sure you can return. We got so many hand-me-down items we really didn't need much. We have an INSANE amount of baby clothes, half-a-dozen baby slings & carriers, and toys that were given to us.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.
I'm 18 weeks along and I'm not buying anything but I started to crochet a baby blanket! I have several blankets that relatives have made for me over the years so as soon as I thought of making one for my baby I got all gooey and sentimental.

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!
Going to have my first kid soon, and I keep seeing the cloth diaper thing come up. Can someone explain the benefits of these things? Goons seem to be crazy for cloth, but everyone I've talked to is repulsed by the idea, and they strike me as a huge pain in the rear end.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Bodnoirbabe posted:

My husband posted this http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/215532998_apntB-L-2.jpg on his Facebook page and said since the I'm due in January and he'll be responsible for another life, this seemed relevant.

IGNEOUS
Jan 24, 2006
Hot. Cool. IGNEOUS!

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I had no idea what to say either, so I never posted that I was pregnant at all. About a week after the baby was born, I put up some pictures of my ultrasounds and some pictures of the baby and titled the album "Had a Baby!"

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

We also did the posting an ultrasound photo thing. People seem to pick up on that relatively quickly and the responses were hilarious.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Prolonged Shame posted:

I just posted my first ultrasound photo and people figured it out. I also made a one-line post when we found out it was a boy.
As for baby shopping, I'm 21 weeks and have bought very few things. We have a crib, a travel system, a mobile, some books and a few maternity clothing items for myself. Oh, and about 100,000 little outfits that my mom and mother-in-law have purchased. All they want to buy is clothing, which is really nice of them, but if I had a choice between spending money on 100 adorable onesies or one piece of ridiculously expensive yet essential baby gear I'd choose the gear. First-world problem, I know.

I too posted a couple of ultrasound photos at 19 weeks with the album name, "By the way, we are having a kid" and everyone was totally shocked since we'd only bothered to tell our families and a couple of friends at that point. Other than "It's a girl!" a couple of weeks later, I have't posted anything else about my pregnancy, it just seems unnecessary (and I'm lazy).

I've bought exactly three things for the baby: A onsie from Value Village with adorable turtles on it that I just happened to see while walking by, a barely-used Boppy pillow I got from a garage sale for five bucks, and a changing table from Goodwill that was exactly the kind I was looking for, in great condition. My mother has been sending boxes of baby clothes to me nearly every week--she keeps saying she's done, but then finds something OMG SO CUTE and then I have ten more outfits in various sizes on my doorstep a few days later. I'm grateful that at this point we don't have to worry about clothing our child, but I do hope we get a couple of "big" items at our baby shower--namely a co-sleeper and car seat--because I'd gladly trade fifteen baby outfits for not having to by a couple of expensive things.

Also, my mother-in-law is throwing my baby shower in a month and if it's anything like my bridal shower, there's going to be a ton of people there that I don't even know. Since we live in a one bedroom apartment, I really don't need or have room for any big items--a playpen, high chair, swing, walker, etc-- that aren't on my registry. How do I communicate this to all the random invited people whom I don't know? Do I ask my mother-in-law, as host, to let them know as she sends out invites? I guess I am worried that we're going to end up with a bunch of huge items anyway because one of my co-workers has offered me, about ten times by now, her old, broken, gigantic baby swing and I have turned her down, every time, explaining that we just don't have the room for a swing, and every time she says "BUT YOU NEED A SWING, YOU WILL REGRET NEVER HAVING ONE, I'll hold on to it until you change your mind." What if everyone invited to the shower is like this? I'm probably over thinking things, but I have nightmares of walking into our living room and seeing it filled to the ceiling with stupid baby swings. As an aside, pregnancy dreams are loving weird.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

basx posted:

Going to have my first kid soon, and I keep seeing the cloth diaper thing come up. Can someone explain the benefits of these things? Goons seem to be crazy for cloth, but everyone I've talked to is repulsed by the idea, and they strike me as a huge pain in the rear end.

Repulsed?

There are a couple of reasons why cloth makes sense for some people but the biggest is cost. Up front is more expensive, but overall cloth is far cheaper than disposables unless you're getting them free or something. Second is probably the environment.

There are also diaper services that will pick up your diapers and drop off new ones weekly. They're about $20 a week here in the des moines area and that's still cheaper than disposables.

A lot of people do disposables for the first weeks then switch over when things settle down.

There are also a million different cloth diaper types and systems. I know there used to be a good post on it but I'm not sure if it's archive only at this point. There may be a store in your area that specializes in cloth diapers and they should be able to explain some of the differences, though the number of options can be overwhelming.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Banana Cat posted:

Also, my mother-in-law is throwing my baby shower in a month and if it's anything like my bridal shower, there's going to be a ton of people there that I don't even know. Since we live in a one bedroom apartment, I really don't need or have room for any big items--a playpen, high chair, swing, walker, etc-- that aren't on my registry. How do I communicate this to all the random invited people whom I don't know?

Usually you get fewer people at a baby shower than a wedding shower, but it always depends on your family. Just register for what you need and then keep all your receipts and don't feel guilty at all about returning extra stuff :)

Dr. Octagon
Aug 12, 2008

Ride or Die Bitch, Esq.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I rarely post "statuses" on Facebook - I typically post photos or YouTube links, so at around 14 weeks I just posted a link to the "We're Having a Baby, my Baby and Me" song from I Love Lucy. Admittedly, it's cheesy - but I've always loved that show, and that scene... some people still didn't get it until I explicitly confirmed it in the comments, but that was ok with me. Other than that, I haven't really mentioned it (seeing posts whining about pregnancy have always kinda irked me), and although many people are comfortable with it, posting ultrasounds seems way too personal/intimate for me.

As far as buying stuff, I'd say that's totally normal. I hadn't bought a thing at that stage, and still haven't bought much at 30 weeks. You have plenty of time left to research stuff and pick things out - believe me, I am starting to feel like I have been pregnant forever, and I haven't even gotten to the uncomfortable part yet. I have to have two showers based on the location of our respective families, so I know I'll get a bunch of stuff then. Also, I figure that all the baby will actually really need right away is diapers, clothing, a place to sleep, and lots of love and attention from my husband and I. You can do all the research in the world, and it's only when the baby comes that you find out s/he hates the swing and loves a bouncer, or will only take a certain type of bottle/nipple, or your favorite nipple cream, and so on. You'll figure out what works best for you and your baby!

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

VorpalBunny posted:

For our announcement, I took a picture of a Cthulhu figurine in a baby carrier and posted it with "He Is Coming!"

Awesome! This is more my husband and mine's speed. I don't think it's boring to just post an ultrasound of pregnancy test, but it's not us. If I'm not confusing my friends or making them have to think, I'm failing at facebook.

Banana Cat posted:

As an aside, pregnancy dreams are loving weird.

YES! I am having the most vivid dreams every night. They seem so incredibly real but they couldn't possibly with how weird they are. What about anyone else?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Awesome! This is more my husband and mine's speed. I don't think it's boring to just post an ultrasound of pregnancy test, but it's not us. If I'm not confusing my friends or making them have to think, I'm failing at facebook.

Some people didn't seem to understand the photo, so it took my slow body changes in posted photos for people to get it. I never actually declared the pregnancy, or discussed it really, on Facebook. I did post status updates from my long labor, which people thought was hilarious. People don't seem to realize that labor, for the most part, is sitting around and waiting. When he was born, we posted the same Cthulhu photo with "He Is Here!" and much discussion of impossible angles and parallel universes was had.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

YES! I am having the most vivid dreams every night. They seem so incredibly real but they couldn't possibly with how weird they are. What about anyone else?

I had a few night terrors during the pregnancy. I actually ran from the bed and into the living room while still asleep, the dreams were so vivid and terrifying. It must have been the Old One I was gestating.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I've been having vivid dreams but thankfully haven't had nightmares for a while. But waking up feels weird sometimes.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I didn't realize I was pregnant and thought I was just having pains in my abdomen. My friends encouraged me to see my doctor. My mom encouraged me to pee on a stick. After we confirmed the pregnancy with the doc, I posted it on Facebook as such (paraphrasing): "Went to the doctor today. Turns out I have a parasite growing in my belly. According to the doctor, it's a common occurrence among women, and should go away in roughly nine months."

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Tons of crazy rear end dreams here. Lots of them are about me fighting various people in my family, and occasionally strangers and zombies. Good times. Last night, it was something along the lines of beating the poo poo out of my dad for criticizing my cooking. Preggo rage, indeed!

I've also had several awesome dreams about theme parks.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Bodnoirbabe posted:

My husband made this and put it as his status:

People giggled.

Daya
Nov 13, 2006
Wazzup thread?

Just found out 2 days ago that I'm pregnant with my second! I didn't even miss my period yet, what gave it away was that suddenly my sense of smell improved an awful lot again, just like the first time I was pregnant.

Good thing we just bought a big house. :)

I'm super excited and also a bit afraid of the delivery. The first time I was in painful labor from Friday night to Monday morning. Hope it goes a bit faster this time around!

Here's a pic of Vegard, the big brother to be, he broke his foot the day I found out I was pregnant. We haven't told anyone yet, I want to wait until the first 12 weeks are over.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Ok. Cat's out of the bag and I'm really hating all the attention.

Congratulations, Daya!

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!
Okay, anyone currently pregnant and having old injuries flare up?

I am 15 weeks right now and my right leg/knee has been driving me batshit insane for the past week or so. I cannot get comfortable no matter what.

A couple years ago, I tore my ACL and my meniscus and while I did not get surgery, I had intensive physical therapy. I am not 100%, but I worked my rear end off and have had no real lasting affects in day to day life. Until now.

My leg/knee is driving me NUTS. I can't sit in one position for more than 10 minutes, which results in constant adjusting and fidgeting which really gives me like a couple minutes relief until I get uncomfortable as hell again.

Definitely asking my Midwife on Wednesday when I have my next appointment, but right now I am going shitbag insane.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Doom Catcher posted:

Okay, anyone currently pregnant and having old injuries flare up?

I am 15 weeks right now and my right leg/knee has been driving me batshit insane for the past week or so. I cannot get comfortable no matter what.

A couple years ago, I tore my ACL and my meniscus and while I did not get surgery, I had intensive physical therapy. I am not 100%, but I worked my rear end off and have had no real lasting affects in day to day life. Until now.

My leg/knee is driving me NUTS. I can't sit in one position for more than 10 minutes, which results in constant adjusting and fidgeting which really gives me like a couple minutes relief until I get uncomfortable as hell again.

Definitely asking my Midwife on Wednesday when I have my next appointment, but right now I am going shitbag insane.

Yes, I just hit 16 weeks and I'm having problems with my knees and hips again. I have hosed up legs and hips, I wore cable twisters as a child and was supposed to get the bones broken and reset when I turned 18 since nothing really straightened out like it was supposed to. Besides the occasional knee discomfort it never really bothered me so I decided against it. Now that my hips are starting to move, my knees (from having to compensate for the leg angles) and hips are in so much drat pain. I use a heating pad on low for my hips and sleep with a pillow between my knees but nothing is really helping. I called my doctors office about it and as long as its not causing any contractions or anything they said to just try and cope as best as I can with Tylenol and what I've been doing. I'm going to ask again at my next appointment because I can only imagine it will get worse as I gain more baby in my belly.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I want to snap someones neck every time I hear from the Obvious Brigade. "Oh, there will be a baby soon!" and the likes. Really? Cause I wasn't already edgy enough from all the attention and details everyone wants. The number of times I fill with rage and want to scream at people to piss off is uncountable at this point.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?
I'm still a resident over in the Gettin' Knocked Up thread, but I had a question that I know you ladies can help me answer.
I am trying to explain to the husband why, even when I'm pregnant, we should wait to tell everyone. he keeps calling it the "Your 3 month thingy". I have tried to explain to him it is not MY 3 month thing but I need more words to use. Can anyone help me?
Also, and I am sure this is a question for my OBGYN when I next see her but; I do basically 2 things in my job. Sit around my house and write reports, or go into the field around diesel construction equipment. This requires stays away from home in a hotel, and 2+ hours of driving wach way, not to mention the diesel equipment. Is there a point in which I should avoid the field work? When I'm too fat to drive and/or walk, or?? I can't seem to find much info on exposure levels to diesel fumes, not that I could quantify it, I'm not huffing it, I am just sometimes standing near it.

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Congratulations, Daya!

I hate all the attention as well. The worst for me is the well-meaning but irritating coworkers who no longer greet me with 'hey, what's up?'; now I get "So how are you feeeeeling?"

Drives me crazy.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Cathis posted:

I'm still a resident over in the Gettin' Knocked Up thread, but I had a question that I know you ladies can help me answer.
I am trying to explain to the husband why, even when I'm pregnant, we should wait to tell everyone. he keeps calling it the "Your 3 month thingy". I have tried to explain to him it is not MY 3 month thing but I need more words to use. Can anyone help me?

There is a higher risk of miscarriage in the first trimester, so our decision was to tell the people who we would rely on for support in case of a miscarriage and wait to tell everyone else.

Dr. Octagon
Aug 12, 2008

Ride or Die Bitch, Esq.

Cathis posted:

We waited til the second trimester to tell, because at that point we'd had an ultrasound and the risk of miscarriage declines considerably. I am also paranoid and we're pretty private folks. My sister-in-law recently announced her pregnancy and then had to un-tell everyone literally days afterward, and it was rough. It just depends on how private you and your husband are, and if you'd rather have the support of ALL your friends and family in the event of a loss, or deal with it with just your husband or a few close family members you choose to tell.

Also, note the pregnant ladies saying they hate all the attention! People will ask you how you're feeling all the time, and people might touch your belly (even if you don't have a bump yet). I waited a couple of weeks into my second trimester to tell most people, and now I have people saying "I can't believe you're STILL pregnant!" The longer you keep it to yourselves, the longer you have without people all up in your poo poo about the sex of the baby, the name of the baby, and so on.

Question for those of y'all who've been through this before - could you tell which way your baby was positioned in the third trimester? At ~31 weeks I can't tell if the roundish hard thing I feel is a head, a butt, or a shoulder.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
There is also the trisonomy (?) test that you can get done at approximately 12 weeks to test for some birth defects, so if you have a test and something shows up you can deal with it privately and decide on how you want to proceed without other people asking questions.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Dr. Octagon posted:

Also, note the pregnant ladies saying they hate all the attention! People will ask you how you're feeling all the time

Worse, some people will stop asking how you're doing and replace the greeting entirely with "how's the baby doing?" I don't think there's much about this pregnancy that annoys my wife more.

We waited to tell people mostly for the miscarriage risk. We would have been sad if that happened of course, but if everyone knew, we were worried they'd all treat it like a full blown death of a child and that would have made any grieving process loving awful.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Dr. Octagon posted:

Also, note the pregnant ladies saying they hate all the attention! People will ask you how you're feeling all the time, and people might touch your belly (even if you don't have a bump yet). I waited a couple of weeks into my second trimester to tell most people, and now I have people saying "I can't believe you're STILL pregnant!" The longer you keep it to yourselves, the longer you have without people all up in your poo poo about the sex of the baby, the name of the baby, and so on.

I wish I had never told anyone I was pregnant and just said I'd gained 20 lbs in my belly or something. I already hate my workplace for other reasons, but my co-workers are completely intolerable at this point because they run up to me the instant I walk into a room and dump their stories/heavily repeated and unwanted advice on me. "Oh good morning, Banana Cat, how are you feeling because I LOVED my second trimester and it was so awesome until my feet started swelling and then I had to go to the doctor, and you better talk to yours about this because..." And blah blah blah.

Also I hate people telling me that my second trimester is AWESOME. Sorry, but my right arm goes numb every night, two fingers go numb every time I drive, my hips hurt, I'm hungry but if I eat too much I can feel the food just sitting in my gut, I'm still tired all the time, brushing my teeth STILL makes me dry-heave, my kid keeps kicking my cervix, and idiots are dancing around me every day singing, "Don't you LOVE your second trimester? I was GLOWING and SO HAPPY during my second trimester, you should look happier!" I even got accused of maybe not wanting the baby because I wasn't "more emotional" after I announced I was having a girl (still :psyduck: over that).

We also waited until 11 weeks to tell family, and 19 weeks to tell friends/facebook. The first was because of the miscarriage risk--like fosborb I think it would have been harder to have lots of people grieving with us--and we waited until after our 19 week ultrasound to tell anyone else because of pure laziness on our part.

starshine
Nov 26, 2007
Banana Cat, for me the third trimester was the best part. I had morning sickness requiring daily medication until 22 weeks so I was pretty miserable for at least the first half of the 2nd trimester. Things can be pretty creaky at the end, but feeling your baby's crazy movements with your hands and getting things together for the birth and newborn stage can make up for it. Hope you follow in my footsteps there and can enjoy the end of pregnancy!

Re: telling people, I'd agree with FITD and say that if you want to be on the safe side, only tell the people you'd want to know about a miscarriage during your first trimester. I ended up spilling the beans to my family at 9-10 weeks and of course my mom told her friends who are my old neighbors who told my old roommate who told all my old coworkers :( Just make sure that if you want your news to stay hush for a while, you get explicit agreement from those you tell that they'll keep it to themselves.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Yeah, I still can't believe how people take this important piece of my life and do whatever they want with it. It actually makes me feel pretty alone, and I'm already a loner.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

Yeah, I still can't believe how people take this important piece of my life and do whatever they want with it. It actually makes me feel pretty alone, and I'm already a loner.

That's probably the best I've ever read it described. Granted I'm going to be the father, but that sentiment seems to perfectly capture the increased attention without any of the actual empathy.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

It's comforting to know I'm not alone in hating the attention, but it sucks knowing it's going to get worse.

Do any of you have any advice on how to politely keep people from doing the overboard thing, or is it pretty much you just have to ride it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!
Of all the things I hated about pregnancy (being sick, heartburn, not being able to sleep, etc), people asking me how I was feeling was not one of them. Maybe instead of expecting to be offended by people taking an interest, you just kind of let it go? I got some "unwanted" advice, but people just like talking about stuff they're familiar with. One day you might be one of those people talking to a newly pregnant woman about your pregnancy, or annoying everyone with pictures of and anecdotes about your child. I'm sure you'll appreciate being able to talk to people about what cute thing the kid did today without worrying whether that person hates kids.

Maybe I just didn't have it bad enough - I generally don't like extra attention either but it's not like people were asking about my bowel movements. Nor did I really share much about anything. I just make the assumption (which is generally correct in my case) that no one except my mom cares anything about kids and their creation. I'm just happy to talk about something other than work most of the time.

I feel like someone will take the tone of this post wrong. Really it's just hard to reconcile what I went through being so different from what everyone else had. Plus the attitude in this thread makes me think people like talking about being pregnant and exchanging advice and all that, so it seems weird that people hate it so much in real life. Like I said I was happy to talk about anything besides work, because I hate my job more than anything.

opie fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 7, 2011